Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

2013 OF Rankings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Don't have one of these up yet so I figured I'd start one. I know these rankings are just going to get picked apart but oh well that's what I get for being the guinea pig that puts his rankings out there first.

DISCLAIMER: I do not play in a standard 5x5 league, I play in an 18-team all around points league so my scoring is likely different than yours which will change my rankings up a bit. Things like batting average are not as important to me and there isn't as heavy an emphasis on steals.

With that being said, my preliminary top 50 OF for this season:

1. Braun
2. Trout
3. Stanton
4. Kemp
5. McCutchen
6. Bautista
7. Hamilton
8. CarGo
9. Ad. Jones
10. Heyward
11. Holliday
12. Granderson

13. Bruce
14. J. Upton
15. Cespedes
16. Harper
17. Gordon
18. A. Jackson
19. Choo
20. Craig
21. Zobrist
22. Swisher
23. Ellsbury
24. BJ Upton
25. Pence
26. Bourn
27. Willingham
28. Cruz
29. Markakis
30. Jennings
31. Beltran
32. Trumbo
33. Hart
34. Reddick
35. C. Davis
36. Morse
37. Rios
38. Werth

39. Kubel
40. Quentin
41. Melky
42. Soriano
43. Prado
44. Fowler
45. Crawford
46. Victorino
47. Viciedo
48. Joyce
49. De Aza
50. Marte

Edited by iAugust, 13 January 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#2 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

1. braun
2. mccutcheon
3. trout

after that who knows.

#3 Spike11

Spike11

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Nice list, curious to see how Melky rebounds.

#4 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

1. braun
2. mccutcheon
3. trout

after that who knows.

Andrew ".375 BABIP" McCutchen over Trout?

Lol. Excellent insight, very informative post

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Don't have one of these up yet so I figured I'd start one. I know these rankings are just going to get picked apart but oh well that's what I get for being the guinea pig that puts his rankings out there first.

DISCLAIMER: I do not play in a standard 5x5 league, I play in an 18-team all around points league so my scoring is likely different than yours which will change my rankings up a bit. Things like batting average are not as important to me and there isn't as heavy an emphasis on steals.

1. Braun
2. Trout
3. Stanton
4. Kemp
5. McCutchen
6. Bautista
7. Hamilton
8. CarGo
9. Ad. Jones
10. Heyward
11. Holliday
12. Granderson

13. Bruce
14. J. Upton
15. Cespedes
16. Harper
17. Gordon
18. A. Jackson
19. Choo
20. Craig
21. Zobrist
22. Swisher
23. Ellsbury
24. BJ Upton
25. Pence
26. Bourn
27. Willingham
28. Cruz
29. Markakis
30. Jennings
31. Beltran
32. Trumbo
33. Hart
34. Reddick
35. C. Davis
36. Morse
37. Rios
38. Werth

39. Kubel
40. Quentin
41. Melky
42. Soriano
43. Prado
44. Fowler
45. Crawford
46. Victorino
47. Viciedo
48. Joyce
49. De Aza
50. Marte

Good list but I think Ethier is missing, I think tiers are pretty important when it comes to OF rankings. Key for OF is going to be the depth of ones league, is it a 5 starting OF roto league or more like the one we are doing for the mock draft which doesnt quite go as deep.

The other key is going to be how people in your league use guys with multiple eligibility and how that can deplete OFers.

So in your top 50:
Zobrist, pretty much guarantee this guy will be a SS-2B in most leagues, Prado probably doesnt go in the OF either. Then you have a lot of 1B-OF types this year who could go either way: Hart, Swisher and Chris Davis all have 1B elig too along with some futher down the list like a Cuddyer, Colvin, Moss, Garret Jones.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Those guys are all OF eligible in my league. And yes, you're right I did leave Ethier off. He should be in the 30 range

#7 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

go head and gamble on trout. he slumped the last month. I dont care about BABIP. if that formula was that great everyone would use it. you want to take a chance on stanton knee or kemps hamstring go ahead. but mccutcheon and braun will play mostly every game.

#8 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

babip? isnt that the object of baseball?

#9 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

go head and gamble on trout. he slumped the last month. I dont care about BABIP. if that formula was that great everyone would use it. you want to take a chance on stanton knee or kemps hamstring go ahead. but mccutcheon and braun will play mostly every game.

Trout should definitely be ranked higher than Cutch. This is not really up for debate. Trout's "slump" wasn't even that bad in September; he posted an OPS of .836. Meanwhile, Cutch had two months where his OPS was .723 and .693.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#10 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

what ops? that dont win baseball games. r hits rbi hr and sb do.

#11 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

would you rather have a guy who hit 350 and only score 80 runs. or have a guy hit 270 with 40 homeruns?

#12 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Those guys are all OF eligible in my league. And yes, you're right I did leave Ethier off. He should be in the 30 range

I know they are all OF eligible, the point is that a lot of times people view the OF as the position of least scarcity, so guys who have multiple eligibility that include the OF often times wont end up in the OF and people have to think about that in their rankings and go a little deeper, especially in say a 5OF roto league. IF its a 12-team mixed roto league with a DH/UTIL, you are talking right off the bat 60 OF, but if 4-5 teams use an OF as their utility, and 4-5 of the guys you have as OF get used at alternative positions where they also have eligibility, then lists need to go pretty deep. It wasnt anything wrong with your list, its just people need to realize guys with multi-position eligibility might be used elsewhere so lists have to be deeper to contend with that scenario.

. I would guess Zobrist will be rostered as an OF in less than 5% of the leagues out there.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#13 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I see 1b and OF as having equal position scarcity.

Edited by 2ndCitySox, 13 January 2013 - 07:43 PM.

All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#14 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Or lack thereof.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#15 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

I would agree they are both deep positions, and for a 12-team league there probably isnt much to worry about. But go a little deeper like maybe a 14-15 team league roto that utilizes a CI which lets take my league of 15, my guess is that 10-12 of the CI's are filled by 1B not 3B. So between your 15 1B and now your say 11 CI - you are 26 Deep.

Then you start to think about some of the starting 1B out there in 30 teams of MLB:
Boston - lets assume its Napoli, he will be used as a C by someone.
Oakland - you want platoon guys in a 5x5 Roto?
You going Todd Helton? James Loney? Brandon belt if he isnt playing everytime Lincecum and Zito pitch?
Carlos Pena and his .200 average every year.

So what will happen is that some guys will be slid over to the CI position and will deplete the OF a bit. In most leagues its not an issue, but a little deeper league and certainly 5OF and CI leagues, you better have an extra 10-15 past what you think you need just to be prepared.

#16 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,712 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

1. Braun
2. Trout
3. Stanton
4. Kemp
5. McCutchen
6. Bautista
7. Hamilton
8. CarGo
9. Ad. Jones
10. Heyward
11. Holliday
12. Granderson

13. Bruce
14. J. Upton
15. Cespedes
16. Harper
17. Gordon
18. A. Jackson
19. Choo
20. Craig
21. Zobrist
22. Swisher
23. Ellsbury
24. BJ Upton
25. Pence
26. Bourn
27. Willingham
28. Cruz
29. Markakis
30. Jennings
31. Beltran
32. Trumbo
33. Hart
34. Reddick
35. C. Davis
36. Morse
37. Rios
38. Werth

39. Kubel
40. Quentin
41. Melky
42. Soriano
43. Prado
44. Fowler
45. Crawford
46. Victorino
47. Viciedo
48. Joyce
49. De Aza
50. Marte

Just got into work, like I said nothing wrong with this list, but I just looked at my top 50 (which doesnt include guys like some of the 1B, Zobrist or Prado)

Angel Pagan - was above average in 3 of 5 main categories last season (avg, sb and runs)
Torii Hunter - Not a huge fan and I know he is aging but this is a guy who especially if he hits 2 in Detroit could be a 100 run scorer
Cardinal OF (jay or tavares) whoever emerges as starter leaving Spring I think is Fantasy top 50 worthy
Brett Gardner - injured most of all last year but I like him as a value bag guy this year
Cameron Maybin - I know hometown guy but he still is a 25+ SB guy who has potential to be across the board contributor and potential darkhorse breakout candidate

I was just curious to compare lists and again its probably because I just chose to rank some of the mutli-eligible guys at their Non-OF positions.

#17 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

babip? isnt that the object of baseball?

That has nothing to do with his comment, of course the GOAL is to get a high average on balls you put into play -- the problem is McCutchen's level of play last year was way beyond what he's done in the past and that level of BABIP has proven to unrepeatable many, many, many times over by other players. The only player in the league who's been able to sustain that high of a number for 3 straight years is Austin Jackson, and very few even do it for 2 years in a row.

Edited by RespectMyAuthority, 14 January 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#18 chicagowhitesox1173

chicagowhitesox1173

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

I go for the big boppers early on and worry about filling weaker positions later on. I got Zobrist and Aramis Ramirez last year on a waiver. I go for top hitting and top pitching and I don't worry about positions.

#19 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I wanna play in your league if Ben Zobrist can be found on the waiver wire

#20 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members