229 replies to this topic

#1 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

I think he could really break out this season. His solid line drive % and speed didn't match up with a .298 babip. His contact rate was down from the minors but was still above the league average, so his average should be able to rise. His babip was often above .325 in the minors. He needs to cut down on his k's a tad, but I think this year his babip goes up and as a result he's able to hit .270+. His runs should rise this year as well, as he had 53 in the 2nd half when Longoria was healthy. The loss of Upton likely means Jennings will run more to help create some havoc. His second half obp of .329 (still not high enough for a lead off hitter, but an improvement for him), his great steal % (doesn't get thrown out much), and high speed score combined lead to a possibility of 50+ steals. He has interesting power, as he could hit 20. I think 15 is a more reasonable expectation. He won't be strong in rbi's since he hits at the top of the line-up, so he may only have about 50 or so.

The problem with this guy is that (A) He hasn't really lived up to the hype yet and (B) he's battled some injuries. If this guy can stay healthy, he could be a top 10 outfielder drafted around the 25th outfielder. His downside (if healthy) is close to last year, .250ave, 15hr, 30sb. But this guy has huge upside. You draft a guy like this because he can be a guy you ride all season. He could hit around .275 with 18 homers, 45 steals, 100+ runs. I think he breaks out this year.

Thoughts?

#2 DH61092

DH61092

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

i already have him on my list of desired players. i never bought into the hype before (i'm never too high on rookies), but looking at his decent numbers from last year, i think he can improve on them. great balance of speed and power, and has potential to score and drive in many runs for a good hitting team. if he gets his average higher, he'll really be a great guy to own.
C-   brian mccann (nyy)
1B- billy butler (kc)
2B- jose altuve (hou)
3B- anthony rendon (wsh)
SS- starlin castro (chc)
OF- matt kemp* (lad)
OF- ben revere (phi)
OF- marcell ozuna (mia)
UT- starling marte (pit)
UT- dilson herrera (nym)

B-  mike napoli (bos)
SP- felix hernandez* (sea), madison bumgarner* (sf), johnny cueto (cin)
SP- scott kazmir (oak), kyle lohse (mil), gio gonzalez (wsh), marcus stroman (tor)
RP- latroy hawkins (col), joe smith (laa), jake mcgee (tb), santiago casilla (sf), sean doolittle (oak), aaron sanchez (tor)
DL- manny machado (bal), daniel murphy (nym)

12 teams, 4 keepers, hitting stats: r, hits, 2b, hr, rbi, sb, avg, ops. pitching stats: w, l, s, holds, cg, era, whip, k's.

#3 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

bj upton is someone I associate him with so.....

#4 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

bj upton is someone I associate him with so.....

I think Jennings is in store for a nice turn around this year.

#5 DH61092

DH61092

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

his numbers are similar to bj upton. and i think that's a good thing. i've always liked upton's power-speed combination.
C-   brian mccann (nyy)
1B- billy butler (kc)
2B- jose altuve (hou)
3B- anthony rendon (wsh)
SS- starlin castro (chc)
OF- matt kemp* (lad)
OF- ben revere (phi)
OF- marcell ozuna (mia)
UT- starling marte (pit)
UT- dilson herrera (nym)

B-  mike napoli (bos)
SP- felix hernandez* (sea), madison bumgarner* (sf), johnny cueto (cin)
SP- scott kazmir (oak), kyle lohse (mil), gio gonzalez (wsh), marcus stroman (tor)
RP- latroy hawkins (col), joe smith (laa), jake mcgee (tb), santiago casilla (sf), sean doolittle (oak), aaron sanchez (tor)
DL- manny machado (bal), daniel murphy (nym)

12 teams, 4 keepers, hitting stats: r, hits, 2b, hr, rbi, sb, avg, ops. pitching stats: w, l, s, holds, cg, era, whip, k's.

#6 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

From the looks of early spring lineups it looks like he will be batting #2 instead of the leadoff spot. Zobrist and his high OBP looks to be the early favorite of Maddon to leadoff with Joyce batting third.

#7 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

From the looks of early spring lineups it looks like he will be batting #2 instead of the leadoff spot. Zobrist and his high OBP looks to be the early favorite of Maddon to leadoff with Joyce batting third.

I wouldn't look TOO much into this just yet. Managers like to tinker, especially early on in the spring.
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ

#8 clutchcityfan

clutchcityfan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

I think Jennings will put up similar numbers to Ellsbury, but he'll come at a cheaper price.

#9 motown magic

motown magic

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Jennings is going to be somebody I'm targeting in all my drafts.

#10 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

I'm not into the Jennings hype. I see a player who in 3 separate stints in the bigs over 874 plate appearances strikes out at a 20%+clip, who has a career BABIP under .300 in the bigs. His K rate has risen each year in Tampa, his walk rate fell from 10.8% in 2011 to 8.2% in 2012, his contact rate of 76% was just average.
He can steal 30 bags running the bases backwards, his speed is unquestioned.
Help convince me he's a buy, I'd like to believe it but right now I'm a hater.
  • myzto likes this
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#11 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Coming off an injury riddled season, I think he will rebound. He has a lot of pop for a player who can swipe 50 bags given a full season. If he can stay healthy, he should have a big year.
www. drafttracker.net

#12 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

I'm not into the Jennings hype. I see a player who in 3 separate stints in the bigs over 874 plate appearances strikes out at a 20%+clip, who has a career BABIP under .300 in the bigs. His K rate has risen each year in Tampa, his walk rate fell from 10.8% in 2011 to 8.2% in 2012, his contact rate of 76% was just average.
He can steal 30 bags running the bases backwards, his speed is unquestioned.
Help convince me he's a buy, I'd like to believe it but right now I'm a hater.

His speed and solid line drive rates don't support his low babip which was routinely .325+ in the minors. He's only 26, not exactly a finished product. There is room to grow and eventually you would think his speed and line drive rate lead to a higher babip, which leads to a higher average, which leads to being on base more, which leads to more steals. I think he's a solid player to own this year.

#13 Skoodog

Skoodog

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,625 posts
  • Interests:Driving Porsches with Paul Walker

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Why draft Jennings when you can draft Carlos Gomez at a fraction of the price and get the same (or better) player with less injury risk?

It's weird to see a player like Jennings, who after rising to the top levels of the minors sees his AMAZING plate discipline (1:1 BB/K through AAA) dissolve over the last three years. He could be a true AAAA player.
Legend has it...they don't check on the weekends...

#14 Matthias

Matthias

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

Why draft Jennings when you can draft Carlos Gomez at a fraction of the price and get the same (or better) player with less injury risk?

Because Jennings struggling in the majors looks like Gomez succeeding? And you figure one, or both, of those trends will stop?
  • SuperJoint likes this

#15 clutchcityfan

clutchcityfan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Because Jennings is good at baseball.
  • SuperJoint and 2ndCitySox like this

#16 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

what the last two guys said
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#17 Djop20

Djop20

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

Gomez really?

I understand that he had a good second half but his career OBP is under .300.

I realize that Jennings was only at .314 last year but with the patience he showed in the minor leagues you would have to assume that would go up.

Edited by Djop20, 08 March 2013 - 07:27 AM.

#18 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

Gomez really?

I understand that he had a good second half but his career OBP is under .300.

I realize that Jennings was only at .314 last year but with the patience he showed in the minor leagues you would have to assume that would go up.

While it's true that once you display a skill you own it, we haven't seen Jennings display that patience over 3 separate stints in the bigs in 3 seasons, now over 800 plate appearances. The longer he goes without showing it, the more worried I am that he simply never will. I see them as basically the same player for this season, with Gomez playing in the better park with the better lineup.
Certainly at the discount Gomez provides in a draft or auction he would be the better value IMO.
  • Skoodog likes this
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#19 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

I think he is a good post-hype breakout guy. I think he gets back in the .260 to .270 avg range and .330+ OBP. If he stays healthy I think he could hit 13-15 homers and steal 35 bags with 90+ runs with his eyes closed. If I drafted him these are the numbers I would expect, but with some luck and improvement he could hit 17-20 homers and steal 40+ bags.

I saw him go 61st overall in the latest ESPN mock...I think thats right around where he should be going.
Sarge: Whats gonna happen is that you jerk off the ball, almost wanna let this guy here jam you, and if it comes it comes.

#20 Djop20

Djop20

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

In 2011 Jennings sported a .356 obp with an 11% walk rate.

I would say he has demonstrated some plate discipline in the majors. I would expect something closer to that which reflects the skills he showed in the minor leagues.

Gomez has had 1 good half a season in the majors. He sports a K% of 23% and a walk rate under 5.0% coupled with a below average LD%. All of these things equal a HUGE avg and obp risk without a lot of luck in the babip department.

Gomez does come at a large discount to Jennings and if you aren't a believer I can easily see how you could wait and draft Gomez over Jennings.

Edited by Djop20, 08 March 2013 - 09:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users