385 replies to this topic

#1 NYSportsfan24

NYSportsfan24

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

What are we expecting in 2013? Does anyone expeact a repeat of last years gaudy numbers?

I have a feeling he will be overvalued.

#2 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostNYSportsfan24, on 14 January 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

What are we expecting in 2013? Does anyone expeact a repeat of last years gaudy numbers?

I have a feeling he will be overvalued.

I think he will hit over 30 homers again, and get a decent amount of RBIs in that new lineup. I don't think he will get the double digit steals again. I also think the average will stay around the same as long as he can keep taking more walks like he did last year.
No Days Off

#3 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

hopefully I can draft a dude who does something like this for this year.

#4 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

It doesnt matter in my league because of course some dude got him for a $1 last year, but Im just not a buyer on him at all, I need to see one more year.  In my 1B rankings, I think I have him around the 9-12 Tier.

Im not taking him ahead of: Pujols, Fielder, Votto, AGon, and Goldy.

I would probably lean towards Teixeira, Trumbo, Butler over him.

He would for me be in the Hosmer, Freeman, Davis group and probably a coin flip at best with those guys.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#5 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

your first 5 yes. butler yes. might be questionable for teixeira.  now what I meant is to be able to get someone like him to perform where people go him last year this year.

so many guys people gave up on or figured they were not going to be consistent for a full season and be good actually did and were not even big name guys ever or were hyped.

encarnacion
willingham
kubel

#6 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Postballfan4141, on 14 January 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

your first 5 yes. butler yes. might be questionable for teixeira.  now what I meant is to be able to get someone like him to perform where people go him last year this year.

so many guys people gave up on or figured they were not going to be consistent for a full season and be good actually did and were not even big name guys ever or were hyped.

encarnacion
willingham
kubel
I hear what you are saying you wanna find the next Encarnacion, someone who has been around a while year in year out same numbers then boom...breakout big time.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#7 rag9876

rag9876

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

E5 has always had the power, but as far as his breakout last year he took a whole new (and obviously improved) approach with his swing. The first thought after a 42 HR season is to expect some regression, but with this Toronto lineup looking nasty, I'm thinking he can still deliver top 4-6 1B numbers pretty easily.  I'm hoping they can primarily DH him to keep him fresh and to get his bat in the lineup everyday.  Any steals he throws in is just gravy.

Projection: .275, 95 R, 36 HR, 105 RBI, 10 SB with upside for another .280+ 40+ HR season (and elite counting stats)

#8 treyjuice

treyjuice

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

View Postparrothead, on 14 January 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

It doesnt matter in my league because of course some dude got him for a $1 last year, but Im just not a buyer on him at all, I need to see one more year.  In my 1B rankings, I think I have him around the 9-12 Tier.

He would for me be in the Hosmer, Freeman, Davis group and probably a coin flip at best with those guys.

Goldy as in Paul Goldschmidt? You would seriously pass on Edwin to take Goldschmidt?

#9 crookedmacs

crookedmacs

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

I'm in the minority I guess for not liking this guy.  Maybe he pulled a full Bautista.  Or, he's gonna be what he was for years prior.  A streak power hitter that annoys more that brings smiles.

#10 treyjuice

treyjuice

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Sorry I just can't see taking a young player who hit 20 HR's last year over a guy in his prime who broke through for 42 HR last year. I'm not saying Goldy won't improve as he most certainly will. But Edwin put it all together last year. I don't see an arguement for Goldy. But I'd be interested to hear one.

#11 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Interests:Beating everyone

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

Anyone else concerned the new testing could nab him? Rumors have followed this guy...
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#12 Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

He probably will be a 2nd round pick.  I don't think I can take him there.
Baseball 20-team Mixed 5x5 roto non-keeper, Daily Transactions with Pick-up Fees

--- 2nd place finish 2008
---3rd place finish 2009
---2nd place 2010

#13 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

View Posttreyjuice, on 16 January 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

Goldy as in Paul Goldschmidt? You would seriously pass on Edwin to take Goldschmidt?
Absolutely I would pass on Encarnacion...he is going to be the next Richard Hidalgo, remember when he hit 40HR and 120RBI...

#14 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,625 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

View Postparrothead, on 25 January 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Absolutely I would pass on Encarnacion...he is going to be the next Richard Hidalgo, remember when he hit 40HR and 120RBI...

You say that based on what exactly? Gut feeling? Because every metric I've checked says his breakout is for real and backed by some history of EE possessing that skill in the past.

He obviously has big power and his plate approach is very good for a slugger. Contact rates have been 83, 84, 83 last 3 seasons (Cano is an 86). His BB rates really improved last season that is often a sign of a true breakout, and it improved as the season progressed partially due to J Bau's injury but that is also a very good sign. He also hits a ton of fly balls which should ensure 30+ HR. Injuries have been one of this biggest draw backs, but playing 1B/DH has really helped there.

I just hope there are more people who are willing to discount last season so I can snag him in the 3rd. He is probably a 2nd round value but being a 1B only now there is very little profit to be made there, I'd love him in the 3rd.

#15 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostZumayaaaa, on 25 January 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

You say that based on what exactly? Gut feeling? Because every metric I've checked says his breakout is for real and backed by some history of EE possessing that skill in the past.

He obviously has big power and his plate approach is very good for a slugger. Contact rates have been 83, 84, 83 last 3 seasons (Cano is an 86). His BB rates really improved last season that is often a sign of a true breakout, and it improved as the season progressed partially due to J Bau's injury but that is also a very good sign. He also hits a ton of fly balls which should ensure 30+ HR. Injuries have been one of this biggest draw backs, but playing 1B/DH has really helped there.

I just hope there are more people who are willing to discount last season so I can snag him in the 3rd. He is probably a 2nd round value but being a 1B only now there is very little profit to be made there, I'd love him in the 3rd.
And how would those metrics be different than say the numbers put up by Richard Hidalgo in his 44HR season or Brady Anderson in his 50HR season.  Look he had a great year and was locked in but perhaps its health issues or the fact I just dont see him as a year in year out 30+ HR guy but maybe its just the skeptic in me, Im not buying Chase Headley, RA Dickey, Mike Trout 30HR power either...

#16 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,625 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

View Postparrothead, on 25 January 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

And how would those metrics be different than say the numbers put up by Richard Hidalgo in his 44HR season or Brady Anderson in his 50HR season.  Look he had a great year and was locked in but perhaps its health issues or the fact I just dont see him as a year in year out 30+ HR guy but maybe its just the skeptic in me, Im not buying Chase Headley, RA Dickey, Mike Trout 30HR power either...

I'd agree with those, Trout and Headley each had 27% HR/FB rates in the 2nd half last season. That ridiculous number is obviously not sustainable. EE was a consistent 18/19% all season, which I could see dropping back to a 16/17 next season, which could still net him 35 HR.

In regards to Dickey he's been a similar pitcher for 3 years now except one scorching hot stretch of games early last season, I'm going to use what he did in the 2nd half as a baseline for this season, except cut back his SO totals some.

#17 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Keep in mind this guy was a pretty highly regarded prospect.  It took him a while to figure it out...but he's clearly got it now.  Also bear in mind...it wasn't just 2012.  He also tore it up in the 2nd half of 2011, in addition to showing flashes of brilliance prior.  The break out is for real.

#18 kobe24

kobe24

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I could see dickey hitting 30 bombs...

#19 Thespis721

Thespis721

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

View Postkobe24, on 25 January 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

Damn. Beat me to it.
C: McCann
1B: Victor Martinez
2B: Dustin Ackley
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Alexei Ramirez
CI: Anthony Rendon
MI: Jed Lowrie
OF: Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Alex Gordon, De Aza
UT: Chase Headley
DL: Fowler, Lind
SP: Scherzer, Kazmir, Alex Wood, Lincecum, Gallardo

#20 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,625 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

View Postkobe24, on 25 January 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

LOL the Rogers Centre is pretty good for right handed power!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users