698 replies to this topic

#1 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Disappointing years 2 years in a row, but did pick it up towards the end of the season last year with the Dodgers. I think he can be a good value pick this year in the 3rd-4th rounds depending on your league, but maybe he'll be motivated on a winning team this year.Hoping for the best because he has been my man crush since his first three years.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

View Postsasnumberonefan, on 15 January 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Disappointing years 2 years in a row, but did pick it up towards the end of the season last year with the Dodgers. I think he can be a good value pick this year in the 3rd-4th rounds depending on your league, but maybe he'll be motivated on a winning team this year.Hoping for the best because he has been my man crush since his first three years.
He was 20-20 and led all SS with 92 RBI.  I think the average and runs werer the disappointing part, but I think that can flux up and down year to year, and I expect the runs to go up in that line up with everyone healthy hopefully, Kemp was hurt and unproductive a lot of his initial time in LA and Stanton hit 1HR the entire month of April.  Not to say Hanley was great because he was pretty bad in April too, but he didnt ham and egg it very well with regards to run production.

I would expect 20-20-85RBI+ and 90+ runs scored with average being the somewhat wild card and if its .280+ at SS with the rest of those numbers, you have a 2014 top 5-7 pick.  I took him last pick of 1st/1st pick of 2nd round in the mock draft we are having, I traded for him at $19 in my 130 cap league with 10 keepers, he will for sure be one of my keepers.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hanley:  79-24-92-21-.257
Rollins: 102-23-68-30-.250
Zobrist: 88-20-74-14-.270
Desmond: 72-25-73-21-.292

I wouldn't mind having Hanley on my squad this year but his ADP may be much higher than the other SS's.  FWIW, nobody really expects Desmond to repeat but he did accomplish a similar 5x5 line in only 130 games.  Anyway, Hanley's closest comps, at least on paper, might be better value picks.

Part of the problem with drafting Hanley is that many people still think he's capable of hitting .310 or OBP'ing .390.  He was drafted quite high last year based on reputation and I'm sure that will continue into 2013.

That said, he's still a very productive player, dual position eligible, will hit in the middle of a good lineup and offers speed at a position that normally gives very little (3B).  I definitely like him more than the "draft for upside" guys like Elvis and Castro.

Edited by cymbaline, 15 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#4 rdubs23

rdubs23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

View Postcymbaline, on 15 January 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

I wouldn't mind having Hanley on my squad this year but his ADP may be much higher than the other SS's.  FWIW, nobody really expects Desmond to repeat but he did accomplish a similar 5x5 line in only 130 games.  Anyway, Hanley's closest comps, at least on paper, might be better value picks.

Part of the problem with drafting Hanley is that many people still think he's capable of hitting .310 or OBP'ing .390.  He was drafted quite high last year based on reputation and I'm sure that will continue into 2013.

That said, he's still a very productive player, dual position eligible, will hit in the middle of a good lineup and offers speed at a position that normally gives very little (3B).  I definitely like him more than the "draft for upside" guys like Elvis and Castro.

Basically exactly how I feel about Hanley, if the the LA lineup can stay healthy and if he realizes just getting on base will tremendously help his team, I could see him sniffing numbers from his previous years, but I'm not sure I ever see him hitting .310+ again.
#HANCHISE

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,526 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

View Postcymbaline, on 15 January 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

He took a pretty good hit in our league value wise after the 1 down year of 2011.  So he was a cheap keeper until 2009, then hit the market for 2010 and 2011, both years in a 130 cap league he went over $30, I think both years he was $31 which is among the highest in our leagues history.  Then last year dropped to 19 and might of been lower, but I remember I called him out at 18 to start and one other owner went 19, so he didnt have many "buyers".
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 GreenGold74

GreenGold74

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I have questions about him stealing 20 bases myself. He was often hitting 4th and 5th with the Dodgers and only had about a half dozen steals I believe in the 2 and a half months or so he was there. Beginning to wonder if that is where he continues to hit if he'll be focussed more on run production and power and less on running the bases. And who is going to hit behind him that will drive him in where 90 runs is possible? I like his average bouncing up near .280 but I think the rest might be 84/24/92 with maybe 13-15 steals as his ceiling. Still very nice value but I think his speed is going to continue to regress and has the last few years as a whole.

#7 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

View PostGreenGold74, on 15 January 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

I have questions about him stealing 20 bases myself. He was often hitting 4th and 5th with the Dodgers and only had about a half dozen steals I believe in the 2 and a half months or so he was there. Beginning to wonder if that is where he continues to hit if he'll be focussed more on run production and power and less on running the bases. And who is going to hit behind him that will drive him in where 90 runs is possible? I like his average bouncing up near .280 but I think the rest might be 84/24/92 with maybe 13-15 steals as his ceiling. Still very nice value but I think his speed is going to continue to regress and has the last few years as a whole.

Well, you have to figure Crawford will be the leadoff hitter.  A-Gone and Kemp should be the 3-4, or vice versa.  So if he hits in the 2-hole, A-Gone or Kemp would be behind him.  If he hits in the 5-slot, probably Ethier will be driving him in.  I think either of those slots are desirable if you are looking to score runs in that lineup.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#8 GreenGold74

GreenGold74

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,250 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

I am crossing my fingers they have him hit 2nd. That spot could produce his max value. I'd personally trade RBI's for him to steal 20-25 bases and close to 95 runs or so. Just think when he hits further down he is more focussed on driving guys in and when his average dips. At least at the 2nd spot he's well protected and looking to make contact and not swinging for the fences everytime. Given his dual eligibility and atypical stats he's still even where he is at this point in his career still a great guy to grab in the 3rd-4th rounds. Though I wonder if reputation and hype will keep him at the late 2nd/early 3rd ADP. I'd be buying him in keepers if you have an owner who might be down on his average or not being the HanRam of old.

#9 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

As of now Ellis will be batting leadoff with Crawford to follow. Crawford has never excelled batting leadoff and moving Ramirez out of a run producing spot in that lineup defeinetely weakens it considerably. Ramirez is pretty much locked in splitting the lefties Agon and Ethier in that lineup.

#10 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

View Postbigbluecrew56, on 15 February 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

As of now Ellis will be batting leadoff with Crawford to follow. Crawford has never excelled batting leadoff and moving Ramirez out of a run producing spot in that lineup defeinetely weakens it considerably. Ramirez is pretty much locked in splitting the lefties Agon and Ethier in that lineup.

So Ellis, Crawford, Kemp, A-Gone, HanRam, Ethier, Cruz, Ellis, Pitcher?
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#11 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostHalo Fan, on 16 February 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

View Postbigbluecrew56, on 15 February 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

So Ellis, Crawford, Kemp, A-Gone, HanRam, Ethier, Cruz, Ellis, Pitcher?

That's how MLB Depth Charts has them listed...  http://www.mlbdepthc...ml#.UR-fJkSBb9A
No one cares about my teams...

#12 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Amazing how every year there is optimism and a whole new set of excuses with this guy.
SIG UPDATED TO INCLUDE FOOTBALL!

Purple Breesus   1st place place in points/standings

12 Team PPR

QB Brees
WR1 Dez Bryant
WR2 Demaryius Thomas
WR3 Jordy Nelson
RB1 Adrian Peterson
RB2 Darren Sproles
TE Rob Gronkowski
FLEX Kendall Wright OR Pierre Thomas OR Bobby Rainey

K Crosby
DEF Saints, Jets (playing weekly matchups)

BENCH: Mike Tolbert, Mario Manningham, Miles Austin, Cordarrelle Patterson, Chris Ogbonnaya

#13 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

View Postcyberer, on 16 February 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

Amazing how every year there is optimism and a whole new set of excuses with this guy.

yeah the guy batted 257 last year. dont know why people still act like this guy is what he was.

#14 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

View Postballfan4141, on 16 February 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

View Postcyberer, on 16 February 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

yeah the guy batted 257 last year. dont know why people still act like this guy is what he was.

Well to be fair, he was arguably the #1 pick a few short years ago, now he is going in the mid-3rd, so people aren't acting like he is the 2009 Hanley. He had a very bad year last year and still finished as the #5 SS. That's why people still hold him in high regard -- the upside at SS is brutal -- there are very few guys who have a legit possibility to go 25-25 with a .280 average.

If the BABIP returns back to his career average (.332), the BA will return. His ISO% came back up last year, including .185 in the 2nd Half, which is near his career average and his HR/FB% is sustainable. This is a good sign. With the added lineup protection, I think there is reason to believe that he can finish with a .280/85/25/90/25 line, which will surely be good enough to finish in the top 3 at SS this season.
No one cares about my teams...

#15 CJones9

CJones9

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:04 AM

Any new thoughts on Hanley? I'm just a little nervous because of the way the past two years have gone.

Edited by The Harsh, 15 March 2013 - 06:43 AM.
Removed BC content.

#16 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

Hanley is a bum and he won't even be a thought come draft day 1.5 weeks from now
20 team keeper H2H (took over the team), standard Yahoo.  Keepers below.  NA's get put into NA slots (5 max)
C:  d'Arnaud 1B: Lind 2B: Miller SS: Forsythe 3B: Manny Machado OF: Stanton OF: Springer OF: Harper
Util: Salty Bench: Willingham, Suarez, Pena DL: Owings, Myers NA: Solarte Baez (NA)
SP: Strasburg SP: Price RP: Motte RP: Broxton P: Stroman, Storen, Tazawa, Petricka, Santiago, Kendrick DL:Pineda NA:Meyer
Trades: 1) Taijuan Walker and 5th rounder for Ryu and 4th rounder 2) Heyward, Hosmer, Bailey for Ellsbury 3) Abreu for Harper and Lind 6) Soria, Shelby Miller and round 6 pick for Strasburg and 7th rounder 7)  Ellsbury and 3rd rounder for Springer and 1st rounder 8) Francisco, Allen, 7th rounder for 5th rounder 9) Rosenthal and Ryu for Price

Money league Roto
C- Carlos Sant 1B) Abreu 2b) Altuve 3b) E5 SS) Rollins OF- McCutch, Jones, Harper Util- Gardner, Cron Bench: NA: Bryant SPs:  Strasburg, Verlander, Ventura, Hudson, Samardzija, Duffy, Cain, Lester, Walker, Stroman RPs:  Reed Doolittle Papelbon Trades: 1) Joey Bats and Panda for E5 and Werth 2) Morse for RA Dickey 3) Soria for Garza 4) Braun and Mesoraco for McCutch and McCann 5) Werth for Homer Bailey and Gardner 6) Cain for Kemp 7) Hill for Samardzija 8)  Melky, Hosmer, Sale for Strasberg and JUp 9) Garza and Miller for Verlander 10) Balfour for LaRoche 11) Bourn for Soriano 12) Kemp for Lester and Cain 13) JUp, LaRoche, Chisenballs for Adam Jones

#17 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostSuikoden, on 15 March 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

Hanley is a bum and he won't even be a thought come draft day 1.5 weeks from now

Yeah he will go undrafted for sure.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#18 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

I didn't want to, but I ended up with Hanley. There were only 5-6 "elite" players (pujols votto justin upton, Hanley Reyes) available in my keeper auction, and the rest went for 50+, and I needed a hitter at util//SS. So when Hanley fell in my lap at 38 I had to pounce.

In his down year he still had 90 RBI and went 24-21. Also, contrary to his reported loss he was 75% on sb attempts and 67% the year before. I think his babip should trend up.

Also in line with his "caring" more in la, his splits are hugely in favor of his time in la, and he has a good manager (recall how well he played for girardi) and he's back at the position he likes to play, so maybe the stuff between his ears is managed now too.

I don't think we will see an old school 30-30 but I like last year as the floor and I could see him running more as well.
SIG UPDATED TO INCLUDE FOOTBALL!

Purple Breesus   1st place place in points/standings

12 Team PPR

QB Brees
WR1 Dez Bryant
WR2 Demaryius Thomas
WR3 Jordy Nelson
RB1 Adrian Peterson
RB2 Darren Sproles
TE Rob Gronkowski
FLEX Kendall Wright OR Pierre Thomas OR Bobby Rainey

K Crosby
DEF Saints, Jets (playing weekly matchups)

BENCH: Mike Tolbert, Mario Manningham, Miles Austin, Cordarrelle Patterson, Chris Ogbonnaya

#19 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

I wish this hard head would maybe listen to a hitting coach every once in a while. If he would revert back to his swing he had back when he was a legitimate 30/30 candidate, he might return to fantasy glory, because he still shows flashes of that brilliance. His old swing was short and compact, allowing him to go opposite field with ease, making it virtually impossible to pitch to him because he could hit to all fields. Now, he kicks his leg so much, stands more upright than before, and his swing is soooo long. He is literally trying to pull everything to LF for a homerun, and as a result he hits a lot of weak grounders to third. That's just my two cents.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#20 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,422 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

View Postsasnumberonefan, on 17 March 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

I wish this hard head would maybe listen to a hitting coach every once in a while. If he would revert back to his swing he had back when he was a legitimate 30/30 candidate, he might return to fantasy glory, because he still shows flashes of that brilliance. His old swing was short and compact, allowing him to go opposite field with ease, making it virtually impossible to pitch to him because he could hit to all fields. Now, he kicks his leg so much, stands more upright than before, and his swing is soooo long. He is literally trying to pull everything to LF for a homerun, and as a result he hits a lot of weak grounders to third. That's just my two cents.

I've been watching the WBC and the leg kick isn't nearly as pronounced as last year.  With that said, his swing is still super long and trying to hit everything over the fence.  But the new leg kick should allow him to time hard fastballs and slow curves/breaking balls better.  If all goes well, i'm hoping for a .270 - .275 BA.
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Devin Mesoraco / 1b - Allen Craig / 2b - DJ LeMahieu / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, George Springer, Charlie Blackmon
Bench - Evan Gattis, C.J Cron, Alex Guerrero, Micah Johnson
NA - Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson
DL - Edwin Encarnacion, Danny Santana

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P -   Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka, JP Howell, Alex Wood
Bench - Chris Archer, Jesse Hahn, Danny Duffy, Jacob, deGrom, Jimmy Nelson
DL - Justin Masterson

0 user(s) are reading this topic