Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Matt Cain 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
506 replies to this topic

#1 Zombies

Zombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Matt Cain is the model of consistency and durability. He throws 200+ innings every year, puts up great ratios and his K rate is improving. Is there anything not to like about Matt Cain?

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Matt Cain is the model of consistency and durability. He throws 200+ innings every year, puts up great ratios and his K rate is improving. Is there anything not to like about Matt Cain?

Im not a huge Cain fan, you are right he is consistent, maybe because my league has Giant fans I think he is a little overvalued so I tend to stay away, but Ive never thought of him either as an elite ace. He tends to do what he is supposed to do as a good pitcher and he racks up a lot of good outings against the dreggs of the NL and there are a lot of bad line ups. But looking back at last year, I think elite pitchers beat good teams and put up good numbers in a phone booth, and Cain's splits against some of the better NL Line ups and hitters parks werent where I would think an elite P would be.

I have him in that HUGE group of pitchers just under elite level but for me with regards to Cain Im usually not a buyer because of price in our league, but he is very dependable so you know what you are getting for your pick or cap investment.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Im not a huge Cain fan, you are right he is consistent, maybe because my league has Giant fans I think he is a little overvalued so I tend to stay away, but Ive never thought of him either as an elite ace. He tends to do what he is supposed to do as a good pitcher and he racks up a lot of good outings against the dreggs of the NL and there are a lot of bad line ups. But looking back at last year, I think elite pitchers beat good teams and put up good numbers in a phone booth, and Cain's splits against some of the better NL Line ups and hitters parks werent where I would think an elite P would be.

I have him in that HUGE group of pitchers just under elite level but for me with regards to Cain Im usually not a buyer because of price in our league, but he is very dependable so you know what you are getting for your pick or cap investment.

Agreed 100%. He's not a fantasy ace. Definitely a better 'real life' pitcher then fantasy. He's the definition of a #2 Fantasy SP.

#4 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I LOVE that people don't think he's "a fantasy ace". He's a bargain every single year. Love it.

#5 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I LOVE that people don't think he's "a fantasy ace". He's a bargain every single year. Love it.

Agreed. He doesn't eclipses 200Ks.....but his ERA and WHIP are grade A.
Sign me up.

#6 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Ok weak ace then. I'd still prefer all these options over him and possibly Sale/Dickey for the upside . Cain is solid, dont get me wrong but he's not the dominant pitcher these guys below are. He's going to give you IP, solid era and decent K's. Never has he even k'd 200+. These guys have the higher upside IMO.

Verlander
Kershaw
Hamels
Felix
Lee
Strasburg
Price
Weaver

EDIT: Just looked at my league and he finished pretty much where i expected, the 12th overall SP. I'd much prefer him as my #2 SP , ill leave it at that.

Edited by Whoopie!, 21 January 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#7 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Weaver? He has the same problem with Great lineups last year.. I guess he has more Win potential, but that's it.

Cain is a low end no 1 SP with about as rock solid floor you could ask from a SP...

#8 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Ok weak ace then. I'd still prefer all these options over him and possibly Sale/Dickey for the upside . Cain is solid, dont get me wrong but he's not the dominant pitcher these guys below are. He's going to give you IP, solid era and decent K's. Never has he even k'd 200+. These guys have the higher upside IMO.

Verlander
Kershaw
Hamels
Felix
Lee
Strasburg
Price
Weaver

I like all of these arms - except Weaver - more than Cain, too. But i never end up with these guys as they go to early for me.

As for Weaver, he's a slightly lesser version Cain, in my eyes. Yes, he's has the one great year with over 200Ks 3 or 4 seasons ago, but his K rate has declined rather sharply in recent seasons.

#9 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Verlander
Kershaw
Hamels
Felix
Lee
Strasburg
Price
Weaver

EDIT: Just looked at my league and he finished pretty much where i expected, the 12th overall SP. I'd much prefer him as my #2 SP , ill leave it at that.

So....you are saying there are only 8 pitchers you'd prefer over Cain? Um...unless you are playing in an 8-team league, that makes him a #1 and a fantasy ace, by definition.

PS - I'd also prefer Cain over Weaver and possibly even Lee.

Edited by Neymar, 21 January 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#10 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Verlander
Kershaw
Hamels
Felix
Lee
Strasburg
Price
Weaver

So....you are saying there are only 8 pitchers you'd prefer over Cain? Um...unless you are playing in an 8-team league, that makes him a #1 and a fantasy ace, by definition.

PS - I'd also prefer Cain over Weaver and possibly even Lee.

Well id also consider Gio/Dickey so thats 10 guys. I amended to being a weak ace so yes in 12 team leagues, he's a #1 SP. Depends alot on your format tho also. If you're in a roto league, he's alot more valuable Cain. Pretty solid in all catergories. H2H leagues, his value is diminished somewhat. While his floor is really high, his ceiling is lower then all those other guys listed IMO.

#11 gbill2004

gbill2004

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Thoughts on Cain this season?
Competitive start 2 QB, 0.5 PPR, 12 team H2H deep re-draft league, all TDs = 6 pts. Roster below (starting spots in brackets):

QB (2) - Tony Romo, Colin Kaepernick, Shaun Hill, Michael Vick, Johnny Manziel
RB/FLEX (2) - DeMarco Murray, Doug Martin, Zac Stacy, Jeremy Miller, Carlos Hyde, Mark Ingram, Knile Davis
WR (4) - Calvin Johnson, Alshon Jeffrey, Michael Crabtree, Victor Cruz, TY Hilton
TE (2) - Rob Gronkowski, Martellus Bennett, Austin Seferian-Jenkins
K (2) - Shayne Graham, Steven Hauschka
DEF (2) - Cleveland, New Orleans
IDP (4) - Lavonte David, Jared Mayo, Alec Ogletree, Curtis Lofton

#12 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Expecting a Cy Young caliber season, as usual. You?

#13 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

First 3 Innings, 9 up/9down.
4th Inning, 7 hits, 2 Walks, 7 ER

Some bloops, some blasts

#14 Vernon

Vernon

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Talk about a rough inning

Fml
12 team h2h
C-mesoraco 1B- agonz, 2B-Altulve SS-Hardy 3B-Plouffe
OF- Cargo, Adam Jones, Allan Craig, Coco Crisp
Ut-Howard
DL-Machado
bench-Bourne, Dee Gordon
Sp-Felix, Scherzer, Peavy, Cingrani, Sabathia, Harrang, Eovaldi, Buerhle, T wood
RP- Romo, Soriano, Street, Farnworth

#15 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,552 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

Scratch that, 9 ER.
:rolleyes:

#16 MeisterT

MeisterT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

omg...One minute everything was fine, the next am scrolling down through yahoo's 80pg play by play filled with green highlights showing Hell on Earth
what a painful inning
"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#17 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,917 posts

Well that dream is over.

#18 Vernon

Vernon

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Thanks Cain...just cost me era and whip for the week.
12 team h2h
C-mesoraco 1B- agonz, 2B-Altulve SS-Hardy 3B-Plouffe
OF- Cargo, Adam Jones, Allan Craig, Coco Crisp
Ut-Howard
DL-Machado
bench-Bourne, Dee Gordon
Sp-Felix, Scherzer, Peavy, Cingrani, Sabathia, Harrang, Eovaldi, Buerhle, T wood
RP- Romo, Soriano, Street, Farnworth

#19 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,587 posts

Any issues with velocity?

#20 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Well that dream is over.

Whew, am I glad I didn't need to rely on him and was able to bench him in my H2H match. With that being said, even aces have rough outings. No big deal.