Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Alex Gordon 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
244 replies to this topic

#1 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

had a good 2011 breakout year. 2012 was not bad but he didnt euqal those numbers. however he did have a lot of doubles. are his numbers less than 2012 more than 2011 or somewhere in between?

Edited by ballfan4141, 16 January 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#2 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

I tend to play in leagues that count 2B, BB, and OBP (and demand specific LFs, CFs, and RFs). In such leagues, his value is a bit higher than in 5x5, so I plan to draft him for LF if I miss out on the true studs.

#3 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

If he can turn some of those doubles into homers, then his value will be closer to where it was 2011. He actually had a very solid all around year last year, I dont think the steals will approach over 20, but he could get the homers back up.
No Days Off

#4 Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I think he is someone I would play up the fact that maybe 2011 was an outlier. Other than a few more groundballs and few less flyballs he was pretty much the same player. I think his HR/FB% was down as well, just equalizing those things I think he gets back to 25+ HR and might be had at a discount. I like him for 2013
Baseball 20-team Mixed 5x5 roto non-keeper, Daily Transactions with Pick-up Fees

--- 2nd place finish 2008
---3rd place finish 2009
---2nd place 2010

#5 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

As a Gordon owner last year, that was the softest .294 ive ever seen. He was BRUTAL for long stretches last year. Talking not even starter worthy (12 man leagues) for weeks in the season.

Having said that, i do like him as a value / 3rd OF with upside this year,...vs his #1-#2 OF ADP of last year

#6 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

in leagues that count total bases he also is good.

#7 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Alex Gordon is a terrific baseball player in real life, and pretty darn good in fantasy depending your format.

Overall dude hits for extra bases, gets on base, has some speed - but mostly just a good baserunner, stud in the field, and great baseball IQ. I don't think you're gonna see him swipe 20 bags again - maybe if he has a patient hitter behind him, but 20+ HRs I can definitely see.

#8 Stanford410

Stanford410

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

We had our ups and downs last year Gordy.. Hopefully he can turn it around but i believe he led the AL in doubles last season if im not mistaken. hopefully he can hit 20+ homers again.
SF Giants-UGA Dawgs-Pittsburgh Steelers

#9 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

He was drafted ahead of E5 in the third rounds in the CBS "expert" league
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#10 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

I'm all over this guy this year. I'll be targeting him like crazy. If he plays a full season like he did in the 2nd half last year, then he will be more in line with 2 years ago. He likely won't blow anyone away but he should be a solid contributor across all 5 categories. Something around a .300 average, 20 homers, 80-85 rbis, 90-100 runs, 10-15 steals sounds about right. Fwiw he only had a 8.5% hr/fb rate. He's turned himself into a line drive hitter, which is why he gets a ton of double, high babip, and higher average nowadays, but 8.5 is still incredibly low as he's at 10% for his career and even that is low. A slight bump back to 10-11% likely gives him an extra 3-4 homers, and a better shot at approaching 20+ homers. He's not going to be the sexiest 4th or 5th round pick, but he should make you happy.

#11 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

yea, i saw that. that is insane. he's someone i like, but not enough to pick in round 3. round5? maybe. but even then it seems like a wasted pick. i would think i can get someone near his equal much much much later.

Edited by LyondellBasell, 10 February 2013 - 08:14 AM.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#12 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

yea, i saw that. that is insane. he's someone i like, but not enough to pick in round 3. round5? maybe. but even then it seems like a wasted pick. i would think i can get someone near his equal much much much later.

He didnt even go that high last year. Pretty bad pick IMO. If you like him then reach a little but don't go that far.
No Days Off

#13 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

That's pretty ridiculous. He's a great player, but third round is too early to even be considered a reach. He's more of a low end 2 outfielder. I wouldn't even consider drafting him that early. I'd look for him around round 7 or 8.
Bring back Ray!

#14 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

fwiw, they live podcasted the draft and when the guy picked gordan they ripped him and even the guy who did the pick said it was a bonehead move

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#15 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

fwiw, they live podcasted the draft and when the guy picked gordan they ripped him and even the guy who did the pick said it was a bonehead move

Oh, well that helps. We've all had brain farts on draft day
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#16 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

I think that maybe....just maybe....alex gordon could do 2011 numbers and better. I want to keep him in my keeper league because after him ther are not too many guys that you know what you will get. but also there are a few OFs who are players no one expects to have alex gordon 2012 like number but picking the few that do are the thing.

#17 Stanford410

Stanford410

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

I would take Alex Gordon over E5 anyday. E5 is always a sub .270 hitter, minus 1 or 2 seasons. And the most home runs he's hit prior to a giant home run surge to 42(which is extremely fishy) was 26. He is definitly on something. Almost 20 more home runs than most in one season, 160 or more ops point jump and a 100 point boost on slugging. Big red flag, and i dont think he replicates the numbers. Wouldnt be surprised to see a 50 game suspension either. Anyways back to the topic of Gordon. He has 20/20 potential and will sit on a .295-.315 avg. wont get major rbi's but id say somewhere around the 80 range. He is a top 15 outfielder and has some good trading value. Looking for another solid year.
SF Giants-UGA Dawgs-Pittsburgh Steelers

#18 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

I would take Alex Gordon over E5 anyday. E5 is always a sub .270 hitter, minus 1 or 2 seasons. And the most home runs he's hit prior to a giant home run surge to 42(which is extremely fishy) was 26. He is definitly on something. Almost 20 more home runs than most in one season, 160 or more ops point jump and a 100 point boost on slugging. Big red flag, and i dont think he replicates the numbers. Wouldnt be surprised to see a 50 game suspension either. Anyways back to the topic of Gordon. He has 20/20 potential and will sit on a .295-.315 avg. wont get major rbi's but id say somewhere around the 80 range. He is a top 15 outfielder and has some good trading value. Looking for another solid year.

I get that. My point was more that he shouldnt be taken in the third round.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#19 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

he is now leading off this year.

#20 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm all over this guy this year. I'll be targeting him like crazy. If he plays a full season like he did in the 2nd half last year, then he will be more in line with 2 years ago. He likely won't blow anyone away but he should be a solid contributor across all 5 categories. Something around a .300 average, 20 homers, 80-85 rbis, 90-100 runs, 10-15 steals sounds about right. Fwiw he only had a 8.5% hr/fb rate. He's turned himself into a line drive hitter, which is why he gets a ton of double, high babip, and higher average nowadays, but 8.5 is still incredibly low as he's at 10% for his career and even that is low. A slight bump back to 10-11% likely gives him an extra 3-4 homers, and a better shot at approaching 20+ homers. He's not going to be the sexiest 4th or 5th round pick, but he should make you happy.

Going to quote myself so I can fix my projections. Now that he's expected to hit leadoff I would say add 3-5 steals, take off 10-15 rbi's, and add 5-10 runs. Gordon's fantasy game is starting to remind me a lot of Shin-Soo Choo, but with more upside.