551 replies to this topic

#1 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,048 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

A concussion, bad offensive line, the 2 week emergence of Bryce Brown and only 2 rushing TDs has a lot of questions about McCoy going into the offseason.

Now Chip Kelly has been hired as the head coach of the Eagles.

How does this effect McCoy's season next year. Is he a Top 5 pick? Is back in that top tier or RBs?

#2 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Chip Kelly or not, Mccoy never left the top tier.

He was still going to be a 1st rd value in 2013 regardless.

Now maybe he went from picks 1-3 ish to 9-12 but he's still a 1st rd calibur rb.

#3 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,048 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

No Question that McCoy is a first round pick but I don't think a lot of people have him with Foster, Rice, AP like they did last year.

#4 RAEF715

RAEF715

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

if you look at how many touches Lesean gets compared to what a guy like Marshall Faulk got in his career, its not even close...

Chip Kelly wants to spread the field in order to run the ball... i see nothing but good things for Lesean out of this..

now, the question is who the Eagles go with at QB now...a lot of fans were thrilled that Vick seemed to definitely be heading out of town...but now there has to be some real question about that...
and of course, everyone is anxious to see who the coordinator will be.... this could be anywhere from great to an absolute disaster for the eagles.
1 month to the 2013 us open right here at Merion.

#5 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

No Question that McCoy is a first round pick but I don't think a lot of people have him with Foster, Rice, AP like they did last year.

Oh yea of course, hard to put him with those guys after an injury riddled year coupled with the Bryce Brown emergence. I think there are 4 guys who have to go before Mccoy next year (AP/Foster/Rice/Martin) After those 4 , then Mccoy is in the discussion. With the Spillers/T-Rich/Charles/Alf's of the world.

Edit: Forgot Lynch, so 5 guys needed to be taken before Mccoy next yr.

Edited by Whoopie!, 16 January 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#6 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,073 posts
  • Interests:SF GIANTS, Niners, Warriors

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I think this hire definitely boosts his value, but it will hinge a lot on that offensive line. He HAS to have some guys to block for him. Either way, he is a first rounder (as everyone has stated). But answering the QB question and firming up that line will solve whether he is an early-middle first round or late first round.
RW Mock Draft Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, 6pt all TDs. 4-3, 3rd place.

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Matt Forte, Trent Richardson,
DeAngelo Williams, Stepfan Taylor
WR: Pierre Garçon, Larry Fitzgerald, Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson
W/R/T: T.Y. Hilton, Mike Evans
TE: Vernon Davis,
Antonio Gates
DEF: Denver D/ST
K: Stephen Gostkowski

Any Given Pick League (Friends): 11-team non-PPR, Running point total, 10pt all TDs, 10 point bonus at 100 yds rush/rec or 300 yards passing, Can keep up to three players drafted 9th round or later for 4 years after draft (* = keepers prior to draft) 994.32 points, 3rd place.

QB: Nick Foles, RG3
RB: Eddie Lacy, Arian Foster, Lamar Miller, Ronnie Hillman, Fred Jackson*
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones*, ODB, Josh Gordon*
Flex: Alshon Jeffery
TE: Travis Kelce
DEF: Philly D/ST
K: Carpenter

#7 phegotgame14

phegotgame14

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Oh yea of course, hard to put him with those guys after an injury riddled year coupled with the Bryce Brown emergence. I think there are 4 guys who have to go before Mccoy next year (AP/Foster/Rice/Martin) After those 4 , then Mccoy is in the discussion. With the Spillers/T-Rich/Charles/Alf's of the world.

Ap/Foster/Rice-----JC/TRich/McCoy/-----Martin/Spiller
QB - Romo
RB1 - Forte
RB2/WR3 - McCoy
WR1 - Jordy
WR2 - GoldenTate
TE - Gronk
D - Stream

Bench
QB - RG3
RB - L.Miller/Bradshaw
WR - Wallace/Kbenjamin
TE - Reed

#8 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Ap/Foster/Rice-----JC/TRich/McCoy/-----Martin/Spiller

Wow u are wayyyyy to down on Martin. Nearly 2k total yds and 12 td's in his rookie year??? And putting him 7th ranked rb ?

No way u can put T-rich/Mccoy ahead of him...IMO.

I even have a hard time putting Rice ahead of him coming off a medicore season (for him). Martin outproduced him by a decent margin this yr.

Edited by Whoopie!, 16 January 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#9 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Lol yeah, Martin and Lynch are deeeefinitely 4th and 5th after the big 3, THEN Spiller/JC//T-Rich/McCoy are fighting for spots 6-9

#10 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

This is what I posted in the top 5 discussion:

For me, I could argue he's #3 in a ppr setting. The past two season, receiving back De'Anthony Thomas had 46 and 45 receptions in 14 and 13 games those seasons. Their lead ball carrier had 247 and 278 carries the past two years. 90% of the time they had big leads and were able to run more though, but they ran well over 60% of the time the past two years. They also didn't run with the qb as much as most people would think. I would set McCoy's over/under at 270 carries and 50 catches. I'd probably take the over on both. It is true he will need a better o-line, but in a year where the Eagles were awful, o-line as bad as it could get, and constantly trailing, he was still on a per-game average a top 8 rb's in most ppr leagues. This just strengthens what looks to be a pretty solid round 1 for rb's, one of the better one's over the past few years.

#11 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is what I posted in the top 5 discussion:

For me, I could argue he's #3 in a ppr setting. The past two season, receiving back De'Anthony Thomas had 46 and 45 receptions in 14 and 13 games those seasons. Their lead ball carrier had 247 and 278 carries the past two years. 90% of the time they had big leads and were able to run more though, but they ran well over 60% of the time the past two years. They also didn't run with the qb as much as most people would think. I would set McCoy's over/under at 270 carries and 50 catches. I'd probably take the over on both. It is true he will need a better o-line, but in a year where the Eagles were awful, o-line as bad as it could get, and constantly trailing, he was still on a per-game average a top 8 rb's in most ppr leagues. This just strengthens what looks to be a pretty solid round 1 for rb's, one of the better one's over the past few years.

Sure in PPR he's more likely to crack the top-5, but he's in in the 6-10 best fantasy backs tier in standard scoring.

#12 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Anyone buying on the RBBC report on McCoy and Brown? Really sucks for McCoy, I hope this takes him down to a surefire 2nd round pick. How pass-prone are Chip Kelly's offenses? I believe they do run it considerably, so they're might be enough carries to go around for McCoy to still land 20 carries and Brown nab 10?

#13 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Brown looked pretty unstoppable at times.. Deserves at least 5-10 touches a game.

One fumble could change all of that tho

#14 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

There seems to be 2 types of RBBC out there:

1) 25-30 touches split about 60:40 or 70:30. If a RB is good enough (like McCoy) this type doesn't concern me too much.

2) "Hot hand" RBBC. This type drives me nuts and makes me want to punch someone. If Kelly employs this type I'm concerned for McCoy's value.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***
Record: 3-4

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Julio Jones (2.09)
WR2: Roddy White
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Robbie Gould
Bench: Calvin Johnson (1.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, Carson Palmer, James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#15 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Kelly likes speed, and Brown has plenty of it.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#16 Mcova23

Mcova23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

But if Brown starts coughing it up he wont be getting the ball.

Edited by Mcova23, 12 February 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#17 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

McCoy is their best RB so logic says he will get the ball a ton. But the offense will be a very up tempo fast paced game so I gotta think that type offense indicates a need to have 2 RBs who get the ball a lot. I don't think Kelly hurts or helps McCoy's value...I do think it helps Browns value. I am also very interested to see how Djax and Maclin are impacted.....and Vick talking about running for a 1000 yards now. This offense could impact many guys in so many ways but in the end, it has to be effective or no one will be great...so the real question is, will this offense work in NFL? If it does, it will produce many fantasy studs. I have no idea if it will but The Eagles have become a must watch team for me...gonna be fascinating to watch this play out.

#18 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

I am a risk-averse owner when it comes to high round draft picks, I want to be as sure as possible of what I'm getting. That being said, McCoy is talented and has a great track record but there are a ton of unknowns, which drop him to the #8 RB; 4th Tier on my board:
AP / Foster / Martin, Lynch / Spiller, Rice, Charles, McCoy

1) How will Chip's option offense affect his performance?
2) How will Bryce Brown be used?
3) Will the Philly O-line be better?
4) How much of his past success was due to Reid's system?
5) Does he have any lingering concussion issues?

If Kelly's system works there will be a lot of touches/TDs to go around and both RBs will have value. I don't have much faith in Vick's ability to run this offense efficiently and don't see an absurd amount of TDs as a result. At the same time they won't be anemic on offense given how defenses will tire from the uptempo play style & the possibility they convert a lot of 4th downs as Chip loved to roll the dice at Oregon. Chip always used 2 RB's at Oregon and in his fast paced offense both McCoy & Brown will get significant touches to have fantasy value. Even if Chip decided to go with McCoy as the main RB with Brown flashing his skills last season, he will certainly cut into McCoy's touches just to keep McCoy fresh. Brown seems to be the more physical/power back, so if McCoy faulters at the goal line early in the season don't be surprised to see his role reduced to Matt Fortesque. Jason Peters should be back healthy and make the O-line better. Reid's use of McCoy in the passing/screen game insured he would get his yardage totals even if the run game wasn't working, hopefully Chip took note of that. I don't think McCoy will have lingering concussion issues (i.e. Austin Collie & Jahvid Best), but DR's research says a player is more likely to sustain a concussion after the first one. So McCoy's injury risk isn't great but it is higher than it use to be.

Bottom Line: McCoy's value goes down as he will get fewer touches and he won't get anywhere near his reeedonkulous TD total of 2011, dropping him from his #3 RB preseason ranking from last year. Brown now becomes a solid mid round pick/flex option, as he will be more than a handcuff. McCoy's still talented enough to deserve late 1st round consideration, just not with my pick.
  • cbe_88 likes this

#19 HashtagHeel

HashtagHeel

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

If your league awards points for baby momma drama, get Shady on your team NOW!

#20 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

I am a risk-averse owner when it comes to high round draft picks, I want to be as sure as possible of what I'm getting. That being said, McCoy is talented and has a great track record but there are a ton of unknowns, which drop him to the #8 RB; 4th Tier on my board:
AP / Foster / Martin, Lynch / Spiller, Rice, Charles, McCoy

1) How will Chip's option offense affect his performance?
2) How will Bryce Brown be used?
3) Will the Philly O-line be better?
4) How much of his past success was due to Reid's system?
5) Does he have any lingering concussion issues?

If Kelly's system works there will be a lot of touches/TDs to go around and both RBs will have value. I don't have much faith in Vick's ability to run this offense efficiently and don't see an absurd amount of TDs as a result. At the same time they won't be anemic on offense given how defenses will tire from the uptempo play style & the possibility they convert a lot of 4th downs as Chip loved to roll the dice at Oregon. Chip always used 2 RB's at Oregon and in his fast paced offense both McCoy & Brown will get significant touches to have fantasy value. Even if Chip decided to go with McCoy as the main RB with Brown flashing his skills last season, he will certainly cut into McCoy's touches just to keep McCoy fresh. Brown seems to be the more physical/power back, so if McCoy faulters at the goal line early in the season don't be surprised to see his role reduced to Matt Fortesque. Jason Peters should be back healthy and make the O-line better. Reid's use of McCoy in the passing/screen game insured he would get his yardage totals even if the run game wasn't working, hopefully Chip took note of that. I don't think McCoy will have lingering concussion issues (i.e. Austin Collie & Jahvid Best), but DR's research says a player is more likely to sustain a concussion after the first one. So McCoy's injury risk isn't great but it is higher than it use to be.

Bottom Line: McCoy's value goes down as he will get fewer touches and he won't get anywhere near his reeedonkulous TD total of 2011, dropping him from his #3 RB preseason ranking from last year. Brown now becomes a solid mid round pick/flex option, as he will be more than a handcuff. McCoy's still talented enough to deserve late 1st round consideration, just not with my pick.

Good post. McCoy's talent is undeniable, he's elusive and can break off a big one any play he has the ball and it puts him in the convo of the back half of the the first round. All the unknowns you mentioned make me gun shy to nab him that early however until I take a gander at this offense in the preseason and see what they do about the o-line, and Peters etc.

At the end of the day I'm not that worried about BB, something tells me Kelly will make sure McCoy gets at least his well deserved 16-20 touches a game, with BB more in the 8-10 range. I'd be a lot more worried if it was like a situation you bring up the way Bush really held back Forte's value in a way by robbing him of 80% (if not more) of his TD-upside.

However, I don't see McCoy's TD-upside being in such danger. Forte's only glaring issue as an RB is punching it in on goalline looks, and while this isn't necessarily a strength of McCoy's he's shown he can do it. And Bush is as proven as it gets when it comes to being a physical backup RB that can get 1-3 yards any given play-- which hurt Forte's value. but on the other hand in PHI, BB is so unproven, I don't see BB stealing valuable goalline TD looks because of ball-security issues, and the fact that McCoy has proven adequate in that role. I'm not sure BB necessarily has the significantly better build or running style to take over that role for that TD-upside goalline role anyways.

Lastly, a resounding agreement on Vick, the fact that it's looking like they are going to role with him makes me cringe when thinking of McCoy. I was a McCoy owner last year and Vick did not do any favors for McCoy and his fantasy value. Vick proceeded to ignore McCoys valuable dump passes in space and tried to save the day with long TD passes. And what's worse, to Rieds credit, Vick was idiotically used at times to try and punch it in on goalline looks himself! As a McCoy owner I'm pulling my hair out, why not hand it off a top-3 talent at the RB position?

While Vick staying at the helm makes me want to rather see if McCoy slips to the second round before pouncing on him, Kelly does offer a new system so it's not a guarantee all the things Vick did last year to hurt McCoy's value will happen this year. A lot of variables in PHI, going to be interesting, can't wait to see some preseason action before cementing my thoughts on each eagle and their respective fantasy value, hard to gauge right now. As of right now, McCoy with my first pick is far from ideal because of the unknowns, however, I'm not sure I could ever pass him up if he ever happened to make it to my earlier 2nd round pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users