Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Manti Te'o 2013 Season Thread -- No Girlfriend to trip him up.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#101 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

someone asked why he would go to such lengths to cover up being gay. i didn't say he was gay. i said religion and football locker rooms don't mesh too well with homosexuality.
and if he just "says nothing" and "notre dame players can get laid at will" ... and he's not partaking... yeah people are gonna question why that is.

his options are:

"yeah i've got this girlfriend, long distance that's why you'll never see her but yeah i love her and stuff. that's totally why i'm not interested in that train of freshman girls down the hallway. yeah bro she's smokin bro." or

" i'm gay. i feel totally comfortable coming out at the most well-known religious based university in the country. i feel even more comfortable coming out as a football player, because i know you guys won't have a problem with it in the locker room. now let's go get sweaty in tight pants, k? chill it's totally cool."

it makes a lot of sense why a star [mormon] football player at a [catholic] university would try and hide being gay. i can't think of too many other environments that would be less tolerant and less accepting of that lifestyle.

I'm not saying he's gay, i'm saying it makes sense for a player in his situation to go to great lengths to try and cover it up if he was ... especially when the other players can get laid "at will" and he needs an excuse not to. loyalty to a girlfriend, real or fake, is probably the only excuse that won't get him ripped on too much. if i saw a hot girl all over my friend, and he didn't want anything to do with it .. .my first question is "Do you have a girlfriend?". if he says no, the next question is "Are you gay?"

Could just be a case of one stupid lie spiraling out of control to a point where you have to keep piling up lies just to try and make it somewhat true to people. it's the only scenario that remotely makes sense to me in this whole situation. i can't think of any other reason to make up a girlfriend in the first place ... let alone get to this point.

or he's a psychopath. or he's the dumbest, most naive human being in history.

either way, he's an incredibly overrated LB that i hope the Giants don't draft in the first round.

#102 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Umm...he's Mormonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. LOL

They believe in celibacy until marriage. There isn't an easier 'excuse' for not having a GF/banging broads then that!

Geezus.

#103 Kobe_No_Means_No

Kobe_No_Means_No

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I think this will affect his draft stock. Teams want their first round picks to make them money, not just to play well. Somehow I don't think this guy will be very popular wherever he ends up.

Even guys like Kenny Britt I can see rebellious teens buying his jersey because he's "hard" and "gangsta." But when you're a pathological liar, nobody likes you.

#104 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

maybe

maybe not

"I don't know."
- 99:99999999% of the world

Don't even care anymore, I just really hope he's not the Giants top pick (before all this bs). And I hate Notre Dame ... perfect way to cap that wonderful season.

#105 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,037 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

They believe in celibacy until marriage. There isn't an easier 'excuse' for not having a GF/banging broads then that!

Geezus.

So do most religions. They also believe in not consuming caffeinated beverages, but Im betting he has. Theres just so much up in the air here and so much thats hard to believe.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#106 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

Geezus.

So do most religions. They also believe in not consuming caffeinated beverages, but Im betting he has. Theres just so much up in the air here and so much thats hard to believe.

Well isn't it common knowledge (i think) that Mormons dont believe in sex before marriage? That was my point, to go to such extreme lengths to conceal your sexuality when you have a legitimate reason not to date women seems insane to me. And 'most' religions share that belief? Really ??

#107 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,786 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

One thing I keep getting hung up on is in his official statement about the situation he says "the only contact with the women was via the Internet and telephone." Who was he talking to? It had to be a woman right? Why hasn't this person been asked about by the media yet (or being talked about more)?
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#108 Kobe_No_Means_No

Kobe_No_Means_No

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

One thing I keep getting hung up on is in his official statement about the situation he says "the only contact with the women was via the Internet and telephone." Who was he talking to? It had to be a woman right? Why hasn't this person been asked about by the media yet (or being talked about more)?

lol, I think pretty much everybody is just playing along... the main attraction is actually Manti embarrassing himself. A quick call record check should confirm everything, but I'm guessing he will have a press conference soon admitting he was part of the hoax and thus ending all this.

#109 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 26,577 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

National joke.....Hilarious. Air guitar!

Late Thursday evening, an independent baseball team, the Florence (Ky.) Freedom, announced it would have "Manti Te'o Girlfriend Bobblehead Day."
As part of the promotion in late May, the first 1,000 fans will get an empty bobblehead box, there will be a pretend kiss cam for fans to kiss their imaginary friends and there will be an imaginary food fight in the kids' area, as well as an air guitar contest.
"There's not a lot to do to get attention in January," Freedom general manager Josh Anderson said. "You have to find some way to get the buzz."

http://espn.go.com/e...-bobblehead-day
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#110 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

• Moderators
  • 8,786 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

lol, I think pretty much everybody is just playing along... the main attraction is actually Manti embarrassing himself. A quick call record check should confirm everything, but I'm guessing he will have a press conference soon admitting he was part of the hoax and thus ending all this.

Well, apparently it was Tuiasospo's cousin who was talking to Te'o on the phone. This newer article is making it look like Te'o was indeed duped and not involved in anyway.

http://espn.go.com/c...girlfriend-hoax
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#111 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 26,577 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Well, apparently it was Tuiasospo's cousin who was talking to Te'o on the phone. This newer article is making it look like Te'o was indeed duped and not involved in anyway.

Well, he was involved. Perhaps not with the initial hoax but his lies perpetuated the situation and made it snowball out of control.....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#112 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

• Moderators
  • 8,786 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well, he was involved. Perhaps not with the initial hoax but his lies perpetuated the situation and made it snowball out of control.....

Definitely agree. Also agree with the other piece out there speculating that he kept the hoax after going after he became aware for some obvious reasons.

#113 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Vikes 1st round pick, book it <_<

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

Record: 5-8

QB: Big Ben
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Roddy White
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Eric Ebron
DEF: DET DST
K: Dan Carpenter

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09), Heath Miller (10.09)

#114 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,477 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

This is more social commentary I guess than an actual take on this - there's been enough of that already. Is this really what life is in 2013 now? Talking about Oprah and Te'o's fake girlfriend for hours on end. During Championship Week. Everything's a soap opera. Makes me ill.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#115 Kobe_No_Means_No

Kobe_No_Means_No

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,520 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

http://espn.go.com/c...late-girlfriend

Still denying, lol. He did cover what we were wondering, about why they never used Skype. He said they tried it but the other side always had connection problems.

Funny stuff, so I guess this isn't ending anytime soon.

#116 calzonesays

calzonesays

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

This is crazy. It's like Catfish meets Rudy.

#117 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

This is crazy. It's like Catfish meets Rudy.

meets Birdcage.

#118 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 21,037 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

"So I kind of tailored my stories to have people think that, yeah, he met her before she passed away, so that people wouldn't think that I was some crazy dude."

So, he's still a liar to make people (his family) think he wasnt some crazy dude that had never met his girlfriend, yeah sure looks like hes not crazy/stupid. Also, from what I read in that ESPN article it doesnt make me think theres no way he could be involved.

Also, hes using a phone call the night before the title game as excuse for poor play. If he already knew that it was a hoax as sides seem to indicate I find that excuse implausible. The reason he/ND struggled in that game is because they played a far superior team, especially an offensive line that featured multiple NFL caliber players which exposed ND.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#119 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

This story is so bizarre. I look at most of these athletes as individuals who have very little in common with me and could careless about me......these guys are entertaining on the field, they allow us to watch a game most of us love and they do it better then we can do it.....but as far as human beings go, many of these guys are not good people, they live in a different world we do and they are delusional....this story is entertaining for sure but there are no real victims in it so its really more comical then tragic. And it will cause shame and maybe draft spots and money to the real offender....so however it shakes out, it probably has gotten way more attention then it ever deserves.....which appears to be what Te'o is all about.

#120 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

"I think I'll have my lawyer present for an interview with pre-approved questions. Oh and let's make sure this is off camera. Yeah, that'll show people I have nothing to hide."

At this point I don't even care anymore about this "case", i enjoyed the embarrassment it caused Notre Dame and that's that. How much can his draft stock drop because of this?All things considered a lot of players have done a lot worse things off the field then make-up a GFor be too stupid to know she was made up.