Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Manti Te'o 2013 Season Thread -- No Girlfriend to trip him up.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#21 Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Brian Te'o said he congratulated Kekua via telephone upon her being released from the hospital.  If Manti is the victim of a hoax, how did his dad talk to a fictitious girl?

#22 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostColonel Kurtz, on 16 January 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Brian Te'o said he congratulated Kekua via telephone upon her being released from the hospital.  If Manti is the victim of a hoax, how did his dad talk to a fictitious girl?

Manti is lying.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#23 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,809 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Okay, Jadeveon Clowny is killing it right now.....(BTW, just so someone doesn't get confused this is a fake handle)

https://twitter.com/JadeveonClowny
I make up dead girlfriends sometimes screaming "ayyyoooo I'm Manti Te'o"

If you having girl problems I feel bad for you son Manti Teo has 99 problems but a girl ain't one.

Manti teo should have just gone the tebow route and admitted he was a virgin.

Manti teo probably wont get that eharmony endorsement now
\

Manti Teos girl pic.twitter.com/skhjtGM4
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#24 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 16 January 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Okay, Jadeveon Clowny is killing it right now.....(BTW, just so someone doesn't get confused this is a fake handle)

https://twitter.com/JadeveonClowny
I make up dead girlfriends sometimes screaming "ayyyoooo I'm Manti Te'o"

If you having girl problems I feel bad for you son Manti Teo has 99 problems but a girl ain't one.

Manti teo should have just gone the tebow route and admitted he was a virgin.

Manti teo probably wont get that eharmony endorsement now
\

Manti Teos girl pic.twitter.com/skhjtGM4

Just reading through that twitter account and doing a little google research, seems like it's a fake account.  Still funny though.

EDIT: Didn't see you already said it was a fake.

Edited by mjk356, 16 January 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#25 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

View Postrraayy3, on 16 January 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

2013 2nd round pick

New York Jets.

The Jets are going for him in the first round. They aren't going to risk him being taken before they have the chance to add him to the circus up there.
Bring back Ray!

#26 Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostMrArmageddon, on 16 January 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

View PostColonel Kurtz, on 16 January 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Manti is lying.

His dad is too.  It appears his Manti's family is in on this.  I can maybe see two college kids telling a lie trying to get sympathy heisman votes but this is beyond the pale.

#27 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Really don't know what I think of this. I have a hard time believing he used his grandmother's death as a platform to concoct an additional "death". A big piece of the story is missing.

But I do know if he can play this isn't going to matter. It'll cost him some money but he'll play in the NFL and have a chance to make people forget about this.

It's pretty harmless, as bizarre as it is.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#28 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

The rookie wage scale diminishes the argument, but can someone here (possibly a lawyer) comment on whether or not a case could be tied to this story, his finishing second in the Heisman vote, his draft stock, and earnings as a result of this stunt?
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#29 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostSuperJoint, on 16 January 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

Really don't know what I think of this. I have a hard time believing he used his grandmother's death as a platform to concoct an additional "death". A big piece of the story is missing.

But I do know if he can play this isn't going to matter. It'll cost him some money but he'll play in the NFL and have a chance to make people forget about this.

It's pretty harmless, as bizarre as it is.

If a guy in college gets a DUI, he went out, got loaded, drove, got caught. Coaches and GMs can hope they've learned from the mistake and grew up.

Te'o has been lying (knowingly) for 3.5 years now to better his own public image and Heisman campaign. There's a difference.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#30 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Awesome title by the way Bateman.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#31 Mcova23

Mcova23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Think Ms Winfrey is pissed right now?

#32 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

Manti Te'o is Keyser Soze.

Posted Image

#33 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

View Postmjk356, on 17 January 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

Manti Te'o is Keyser Soze.

Posted Image

This is gold! :lol:

Is he going to mysteriously vanish off the face of the earth the day of the Combine?
Are the Rotoworld forums lagging for you? Please report the issue here: http://www.rotoworld.com/about/help.aspx. It's the best way to force a change!

#34 Tdavis20

Tdavis20

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

On the ESPN article.. http://espn.go.com/c...apparently-hoax

Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011.
"This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa."
Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp.
"She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... "
Mauia said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said: "No, she is real."

By no means am I trying to defend Manti with what Mauia said, but there is clearly more to the story than what has come out. This is definitely one of the craziest stories of the year..
12 Team standard H2H yahoo league

PG- Ty Lawson
SG- Kevin Martin
G- Mike Conley
PF- Chandler Parsons*
SF- Josh Smith
F- Paul Pierce
C- Omer Asik
C- Anderson Varejao
Util- Jameer Nelson
Util- Jason Thompson*
Bench- Jason Terry*, Ricky Rubio*, Nikola Vucevic*

*- Free Agent pickup

#35 dudeondacouch

dudeondacouch

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostRAEF715, on 16 January 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

in a strange way, that theory of it hiding him being gay makes about as much sense as anything i can think of.

Agreed, along with the guy that "made her up."
12-Team, PPR, 5pt Passing TDs, 0.1pt Rushing Att., Start --- QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DEF

2013 LEAGUE CHAMPION

QB ----
RB ----
WR----

TE-----
K ------
DEF---

#36 starks

starks

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

OK, I will say it.

He is part of the LDS church (mormon). Having worked in Utah for a couple years to say some of the people I met, worked/lived with were sheltered and or blind with religion would be an understatement. Not slamming the religion or religion in general but this shouldn't be as surprising to those familiar with the LDS society. Nice folks, but again very sheltered from the real world surrounding them.

My personal opinion, he got suckered in early and eventually figured out someone was messing with him. Instead of nipping it in the bud before it got out of control he ran with his lie because of the exposure it was creating. A timeline of facts will eventually come out, and it won't be nice. JMO...

Edited by starks, 17 January 2013 - 09:29 AM.

You like my avatar?

#37 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,676 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

http://deadspin.com/...-do-differently

So apparently as early as October he was evasive in providing information regarding the alleged girlfriend. The worse part here is that ESPN ran a story like this that they were able to provide no factual backing or evidence other than one persons word for. No records of her death or the accident, no records of her etc. Quite literally from what he says there was only ample reason to believe you did not have a story and thus great concern about running it,  proving once again that ESPN is less than a legitimate news outlet, to say the least.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#38 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I am more disappointed in the media outlets that were being strung along by all this. ESPN, CBS, SI, etc. all got played big time. Heck, CBS even put up a direct quote from this girl. Surely when you are dealing with news of a death, you would have some kind of follow-up. I find it amazing that he got away with this for so long and nobody batted an eyelid. Such gullibility. How come Stanford never said anything after the news of this girl's death? The fact that there were no background checks on anything is what makes the whole thing so bizarre. It actually makes me lose a bit of respect for the media. They all got played by this idiot.

As strange as this whole thing is, it doesn't really compare to having a criminal background or failing a drug test. Teo's draft 'stock' should be relatively unaffected by all this. He has some character issues, but teams are willing to look past that if they think his talent is worth a shot. He is still very young. I think the Alabama game did more harm to his reputation (from a draft standpoint) than this fake girlfriend thing. Worst case scenario, you have a bunch of teams just crossing him off their list. But i doubt this will happen across the board, he will still go 1st round.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#39 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

View Postrraayy3, on 16 January 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

Is that her little brother?
Check out the 2014 Rotoworld Mock Real League in "Your League" Threads.

#40 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,676 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

View Postpredator_05, on 17 January 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

I am more disappointed in the media outlets that were being strung along by all this. ESPN, CBS, SI, etc. all got played big time. Heck, CBS even put up a direct quote from this girl. Surely when you are dealing with news of a death, you would have some kind of follow-up. I find it amazing that he got away with this for so long and nobody batted an eyelid. Such gullibility. How come Stanford never said anything after the news of this girl's death? The fact that there were no background checks on anything is what makes the whole thing so bizarre. It actually makes me lose a bit of respect for the media. They all got played by this idiot.

As strange as this whole thing is, it doesn't really compare to having a criminal background or failing a drug test. Teo's draft 'stock' should be relatively unaffected by all this. He has some character issues, but teams are willing to look past that if they think his talent is worth a shot. He is still very young. I think the Alabama game did more harm to his reputation (from a draft standpoint) than this fake girlfriend thing. Worst case scenario, you have a bunch of teams just crossing him off their list. But i doubt this will happen across the board, he will still go 1st round.

The problem is his talent isnt good enough to offset character risks. He wont test well at the combine and a large portion of his value is intangibles and character which is going to take a dump one way or another here. I honestly would have been shocked to see him go in the first after he got destroyed by the first NFL caliber OL he played, especially as readily available and as affordable MLB are in the NFL these days.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"