Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Manti Te'o 2013 Season Thread -- No Girlfriend to trip him up.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#41 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

It is completely and uttterly IMPOSSIBLE for Te'o to NOT be in on this hoax.  In this day and age with Skype/Facetime/Tango etc etc,  it is near impossible/laughable for him never to have seen this girl. At least in a live setting.  And if he thought the 'twitter girl' was indeed this woman, that means he never did once did see her thru 1 of those apps/tech.  Literally laughable.   He'd have to be living in a cave somewhere or somehow had a time machine going back to 2002 where none of this tech was available, then hopped back in the time machine on gamedays.

Edited by Whoopie!, 17 January 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#42 starks

starks

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Mainstream media has egg on their face and I love it.

Investigative journalism is dead and nobody cares.
You like my avatar?

#43 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Poststarks, on 17 January 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Ummm....why?  Cause ND came out defending the guy?

You actually think Te'O  is an innocent bystander here?  If so, ive got some real estate to sell u.

#44 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

This story ends with him either looking insane

or beyond stupid.

#45 fredth3cat

fredth3cat

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostWhoopie!, on 17 January 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

You actually think Te'O  is an innocent bystander here?  If so, ive got some real estate to sell u.

Probably because the media didn't actually verify any of the information regarding the death of the alleged girlfriend.

#46 Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

View Postrraayy3, on 17 January 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

This story ends with him either looking insane

or beyond stupid.

Exactly.  Best case scenario for Te'o is that he was played for a colossal fool.  For over 3 years.

#47 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

View Postfredth3cat, on 17 January 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Probably because the media didn't actually verify any of the information regarding the death of the alleged girlfriend.

Why would the media be responsible to verify the death of a college students girlfriend?   When u hear of someones death, do you ever question the validity of it????  Ever ??

I think what's lost in all of this is he's a college student.  Not a celebrity.  

To put any blame on the media for this insane story is pretty comical

Edited by Whoopie!, 17 January 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#48 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

and if he was the middle linebacker of north dakota state central, no one would care

love that Notre Dame mystique...

#49 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,857 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostWhoopie!, on 17 January 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Why would the media be responsible to verify the death of a college students girlfriend?   When u hear of someones death, do you ever question the validity of it????  Ever ??

Because they checked into it and could find no evidence supporting the story. Stories dont just run on faith, they need to be fact checked this is a function of any reporting agency. You can say he is not a celebrity but in fact he is and that is how he and this story have been treated. To indicate that ESPN or any other news agency doesnt have to verify the truth of a story, which they now admit they could find no evidence to back up (story of the accident, death announcement, obituary, unable to contact family to verify, no pictures etc) which is a huge red flag but ran the story anyways is a failure of reporting at the most base level. Stories dont get run on just one persons word, for this exact reason.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#50 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

journalism today is retweeting every brainfart and hoping they were not only the first to do so, but it ends up being kinda right.

#51 starks

starks

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Easy there slick. ESPN and company loved this story and ran with it. Ran with it all the way through the national championship game and believe me they are embarrassed. I am not expecting anyone to dig up her grave and prove they had a relationship...but a little investigative journalism, perhaps contacting her family for a comment, was in order. Keep your land you are trying to sell...
You like my avatar?

#52 predator_05

predator_05

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

LOL

"Faith is believing in something you most likely can't see...".

I guess he just 'believed' in her existence. Not to turn this into a religious debate, but isn't that what religious belief is all about.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#53 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

TE'O SEX TAPE REVEALED

proof.

#54 Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

View Poststarks, on 17 January 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Easy there slick. ESPN and company loved this story and ran with it. Ran with it all the way through the national championship game and believe me they are embarrassed. I am not expecting anyone to dig up her grave and prove they had a relationship...but a little investigative journalism, perhaps contacting her family for a comment, was in order. Keep your land you are trying to sell...

Actually, ESPN just admitted they had this story a week ago and sat on it.  When deadspin, a site famous for vulgar language and penis pics, is the only journalists doing any sort of due diligence is amazing to me.  That's why mainstream journalists are saying they believe Te'o.  Pat Forde is even saying they should be held accountable for this story, when in actuality they were the only people doing their jobs.

#55 Spike11

Spike11

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostWhoopie!, on 17 January 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

It is completely and uttterly IMPOSSIBLE for Te'o to NOT be in on this hoax.  In this day and age with Skype/Facetime/Tango etc etc,  it is near impossible/laughable for him never to have seen this girl. At least in a live setting.  And if he thought the 'twitter girl' was indeed this woman, that means he never did once did see her thru 1 of those apps/tech.  Literally laughable.   He'd have to be living in a cave somewhere or somehow had a time machine going back to 2002 where none of this tech was available, then hopped back in the time machine on gamedays.

You never saw Catfish the TV Show? Theres some gullible people out there

#56 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

You do realize that part of the responsibility of writing a story is to fact check, right?  Large organizations like the SI and ESPN have folks where that is their primary function.  You think that the Stephen Glass and New Republic situation would teach major outlets that they need to do their homework.

Then it comes out that ESPN has known for about 10 days but didn't want to run it because they couldn't verify it was a hoax??  That's a joke when you consider the size and scope of that media behemoth.  I think we need to treat ESPN as a different outlet altogether at this point.  They're not a news organization but an entertainment conglomerate.  Although they profess their intention of having an investigative journalistic arm, they do very little with it and are always, always late to the party when it comes to important stories.  They're more WWE at this point.  But SI doesn't do their homework?

Moving on, regardless of how you feel about whether or not Manti was complicit with the intentional misleading of the press and viewing public.  It's becoming very clear that he continued to propagate that lie and built around it with his misleading quotes about his relationship with her.  Heck, he found out on Dec 6th and has this quote (If Todd Jones is to be believed):

Todd_Jones: Te'o told she wasn't real Dec. 6. Te'o said Dec. 8: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer."

So he's definitely a liar.  And again, it's a sad state of affairs for this kid that he's begging for people to believe that he's the biggest fool in the world, rather than the biggest fraud.....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#57 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,753 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 17 January 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

So he's definitely a liar.  And again, it's a sad state of affairs for this kid that he's begging for people to believe that he's the biggest fool in the world, rather than the biggest fraud.....

Pretty sound statement here, and on top of it, he's probably both...
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#58 rdubs23

rdubs23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

What about the fact that outlets such as ESPN have had this story for weeks and sat on it?
#HANCHISE

#59 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Who's Manti Te'O ?

- every Alabama offensive player

#60 Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 17 January 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

You do realize that part of the responsibility of writing a story is to fact check, right?  Large organizations like the SI and ESPN have folks where that is their primary function.  You think that the Stephen Glass and New Republic situation would teach major outlets that they need to do their homework.

Then it comes out that ESPN has known for about 10 days but didn't want to run it because they couldn't verify it was a hoax??  That's a joke when you consider the size and scope of that media behemoth.  I think we need to treat ESPN as a different outlet altogether at this point.  They're not a news organization but an entertainment conglomerate.  Although they profess their intention of having an investigative journalistic arm, they do very little with it and are always, always late to the party when it comes to important stories.  They're more WWE at this point.  But SI doesn't do their homework?

Moving on, regardless of how you feel about whether or not Manti was complicit with the intentional misleading of the press and viewing public.  It's becoming very clear that he continued to propagate that lie and built around it with his misleading quotes about his relationship with her.  Heck, he found out on Dec 6th and has this quote (If Todd Jones is to be believed):

Todd_Jones: Te'o told she wasn't real Dec. 6. Te'o said Dec. 8: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer."

Regarding ESPN's lack of due diligence, Gene WoJciechowsky says, "short of asking for a death certificate, I'm not sure what people would do differently."

Their hypocrisy is surpassed only by their arrogance.

http://m.deadspin.co...-do-differently