Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Manti Te'o 2013 Season Thread -- No Girlfriend to trip him up.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,447 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Okay, since this is the #1 trending story in sports right now (bigger than Lance Armstrong), he's a rookie of consequence (maybe not anymore) for guys in IDP leagues, and this is one of the most bizarre stories I've seen since.....last year in sports, I'll post this.

Remember, keep your posts above board.....

Deadspin posted a piece stating that Lennay Kekua, the supposed girlfriend of Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o who reportedly passed away on September 12, 2012 due to leukemia, never actually existed.
There are a lot of blank parts of the timeline and negative space that needs to be answered, but the story is nearly unbelievable and worth your time to read. It's accessible at the link below. On September 12, Te'o's grandmother did pass away due to old age, with Kekua's death reportedly happening less than 24 hours later. The alleged deaths were huge stories during the college football season. The Deadspin piece claims Kekua was made up by Te'o's friend Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, and their relationship has been faked since 2009. Notre Dame has issued a statement calling it "a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators." The school was apparently notified of the issue on December 26 and that Te'o was a "victim" of the situation. If Te'o is outed as a part of the lie, it could affect his 2013 NFL Draft stock.

and his response:

Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o issued a statement saying he was a "victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies."
Te'o contends that he made up the stories of actually meeting Lennay Kekua, his reported girlfriend, because he was embarrassed to admit that their relationship started and only consisted of online interaction. Therefore, he never met her, but Te'o was still invested in a very serious relationship. "To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick," Te'o wrote. The Irish linebacker was notified of the findings prior to the BCS Championship game, so some might contend it affected his performance.

So, he's definitely a liar. But he's either a one of the biggest frauds in sports history or one of the densest guys that's ever used the internet. Either way, bad day for him and ND. It may blow up his draft stock more than Ed Lacy did....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#2 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

When i read this i couldnt believe it. Teo seemed like a very nice person, but this is just bizarre.

Edited by Theoneupper, 16 January 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#3 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

What a bizarre story. We all knew that dork freshman year in college who would tell you about his "hot girlfriend" back home who you knew didn't exist.

However, this guy is the star player on Notre Dame's football team. Shouldn't have a problem meeting ladies. And to bring people and the media in on this story to gain sympathy? Pretty sick.

Hearing some of this guy's interviews about his non-existent girlfriend, it's pretty twisted that he was getting so emotional about a made up woman. Very weird.

#4 Vestrogen

Vestrogen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

He's a talented guy and I hope for his sake he's not lying about this. The fact that he made up meeting her is weird to me and it put the rest of his story in jeopardy; if he'd lie about meeting her what's to say the rest of his story isn't fabricated too? It just seem like a really dumb way to get publicity. There are just so many parts of this story that don't add up.

#5 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

He is an idiot.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#6 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,784 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Unbelievably strange, like seriously I have no words...(and still don't think the full story has really come to light yet)
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#7 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

this is like christmas all over again i despise notre dame and their hollier than thou sense of entitlement ... now te'o is the "victim" ... love it.

there's a rumor that this whole thing was a coverup for him actually being gay and afraid to come out ... but who knows at this point?

Edited by rraayy3, 16 January 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#8 RADickey4Prez

RADickey4Prez

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Can we at least call the university "Nosuch Dame"?

#9 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

SEC wins.

http://img.bleacherr...=340&h=234&q=75

again.

#10 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Unbelievably strange, like seriously I have no words...(and still don't think the full story has really come to light yet)

I agree that I think there will still be a lot of details to come. I just can't believe it. Regardless of how much is or is not true, respect towards him will go wayyy down, and I wouldn't want to be him going into a locker room next year.
RW Mock Draft Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, 6pt all TDs. 8-4, 2nd place.

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Matt Forte, C.J. Anderson,
DeAngelo Williams
WR: T.Y. Hilton, Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin, Larry Fitzgerald, Allen Robinson
W/R/T: Trent Richardson, Pierre Garcon
TE: Antonio Gates,
Vernon Davis
DEF: Denver D/ST
K: Stephen Gostkowski

Any Given Pick League (Friends): 11-team non-PPR, Running point total, 10pt all TDs, 10 point bonus at 100 yds rush/rec or 300 yards passing, Can keep up to three players drafted 9th round or later for 4 years after draft (* = keepers prior to draft) 1826.16 points, 1st place.

QB: Mark Sanchez, Hoyer
RB: Eddie Lacy, Arian Foster, Lamar Miller, Isaiah Crowell, Juwan Thompson
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones*, ODB, Alshon Jeffery
Flex: FREED JOSH GORDON
TE: Mychal Rivera
DEF: Philly D/ST
K: Parkey

#11 King Ding Aling

King Ding Aling

Don't Be Cruel

• Banned
  • 5,069 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Check out this video of T'eo addressing his teammates about the incident.

Edited by King Ding Aling, 16 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

10 Team 10 Keeper Roto Hockey league.  Start 4LW, 4RW, 4C, 6D, 2G with 3BN.  Goals, Assists, SOG, PIM, +/-, DefenceMen Points, Special Teams Points, Wins, GAA and SV%.

C: Johnathan Toews, Claude Giroux, Jamie Benn, Colin Wilson
LW: Max Pacioretty, Brandon Prust, Dustin Brown, Loui Eriksson (Andrew Ladd, Ryan Clowe)
RW: Pat Kane, Alex Burrows, Chris Stewart, Peter Mueller
D: Oliver Ekman-Larson, P.K. Subban, James Wisniewski, Lubomir Visnovsky, Dan Hamhuis, Andrei Markov
G: Tuukka Rask, Carey Price (Ben Scrivens)

IR: Erik Karlsson, Mikka Kiprusoff

#12 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Unless he's somehow completely cleared of any involvement (which seems incredible, as his past accounts of her death really make him look bad now), given his physical skill set wasn't elite, his draft stock is going to plummet like a rock. His Combine showing wasn't expected to be great on the physical tools side, but the so-called intangibles were pushing into top-5 talk (which is crazy, given LB is a far easier position to fill than the other premium positions - but he was a lock for a top 12-20 pick IMO before all of this, even with the terrible BCS Championship game). But it's a two-edged sword - once character is identified as a problem (and there's no way this incident won't raise these questions unless he is cleared 100 percent without any doubts), unless you are a physical freak, well, the fall could be enormous this April.

If he was somehow duped and really wasn't involved, you feel bad for him. If he was involved in any part of the hoax - you gotta shake your head at how stupid he was (in this day & age, you have to know every part of your story and your life will be heavily scrutinized as a potential draft candidate).

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#13 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Catfish 2: The Te'o story.

14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Devin Mesoraco / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Charlie Blackmon, George Springer
Bench - Evan Gattis, Steve Pearce, Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P - Jacob deGrom, Alex Wood, Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka
Bench -  Mike Fiers, Chris Archer, Danny Duffy, Kyle Hendricks,Carlos Carrasco

#14 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 21,000 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Can only imagine the type of questions hes going to get in his team interviews now. I find it hard to believe he wasnt complicit with this, especially with his quotes relating to the story. How he talked to her until he fell asleep and woke up listening to her breathing on the other end, how her family was there for him when she died etc. There was a lot to gain by increasing his presence in the media (largely responsible for his Heisman run as his numbers werent and theres a legit argument hes not the best LB in the country let alone best defensive player). Hes a guy who was already a bit over hyped coming out, as noted by him being completely dominated by the one NFL caliber OL he saw all year and the questions that already surrounded his lack of NFL speed. Add this to the equation, which like was said above hes either an idiot for going along with it, or an idiot for not realizing it and its not gonna help his stock.

The real question is why he and ND sat back on this for 3 weeks instead of trying to get out in front of it, also saw reports that ESPN has known for days and nothing. Not setting the narrative yourself is a bad look, now they are playing defense and claims of being the victim wont be looked on as favorably. Nor does ND's reaction to this, investigation etc, whereas their silence on other, real issues relating to the football team spoke volumes.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#15 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

What is the benefit for Notre Dame in having the AD 1) hold a press conference and 2) have said press conference without Te'o next to him? And his press conference was HORRIBLE by the way. MTV? You don't have your notes? You've had since December 26 to start preparing them. Because you knew about this and sat on it. Te'o waited until the ballots for the Heisman were in, then told to school, and hoped it would go away, then they all sat on it until someone else put it together because they had a really big game.

Notre Dame should have just said acknowledged it and said nothing more. They have nothing to gain from getting involved and a lot to lose.

I think they should expel him and take his name off of everything.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#16 ToO_BaD

ToO_BaD

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Yeah I mean it isn't like he just fooled some D-3 school and it's random community. This is supposed to be a major Catholic university, with "morals." And with their football success this season, he lied to the entire nation. Truly disgusting display amongst already questionable behavior when it comes to athletes.
RW Mock Draft Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, 6pt all TDs. 8-4, 2nd place.

QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Matt Forte, C.J. Anderson,
DeAngelo Williams
WR: T.Y. Hilton, Mike Evans, Kelvin Benjamin, Larry Fitzgerald, Allen Robinson
W/R/T: Trent Richardson, Pierre Garcon
TE: Antonio Gates,
Vernon Davis
DEF: Denver D/ST
K: Stephen Gostkowski

Any Given Pick League (Friends): 11-team non-PPR, Running point total, 10pt all TDs, 10 point bonus at 100 yds rush/rec or 300 yards passing, Can keep up to three players drafted 9th round or later for 4 years after draft (* = keepers prior to draft) 1826.16 points, 1st place.

QB: Mark Sanchez, Hoyer
RB: Eddie Lacy, Arian Foster, Lamar Miller, Isaiah Crowell, Juwan Thompson
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones*, ODB, Alshon Jeffery
Flex: FREED JOSH GORDON
TE: Mychal Rivera
DEF: Philly D/ST
K: Parkey

#17 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

This story doesn't make sense but its probably a combination of Manti getting scammed "Catfish" style and Manti taking advantage of the situation by calling her "his girlfriend" when really she was just a "girl" he was talking to online.

All in all, still verrrrrry strange.

Wake up.

#18 RAEF715

RAEF715

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

could believe he was somehow a victim if it hadnt gone on so long, and into such detail...
this is just so incredibly bizarre..
im just not understanding the motivation....what was gained from this?
in a strange way, that theory of it hiding him being gay makes about as much sense as anything i can think of.
what a messed up world we live in....our sports stories this week are this, Lance armstrong confessing after agressively lying and defending himself for years, and nobody being elected to the hall because they used roids...
1 month to the 2013 us open right here at Merion.

#19 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Yeah I mean it isn't like he just fooled some D-3 school and it's random community. This is supposed to be a major Catholic university, with "morals." And with their football success this season, he lied to the entire nation. Truly disgusting display amongst already questionable behavior when it comes to athletes.

This is a school that has constantly used its high admission standards and high character as an excuse for losing and now this happens.

I said it multiple times during the year, but from the word go he was only a finalist because he was a feel good story and this was a huge part of it. He wasn't even the top LB in the country.

I'll take Jarvis Jones, Ogeltree, or Minter.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon