Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Brian Roberts 2013 OutlookHere we go again...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that Brian Roberts (hip) has been dealing with setbacks this offseason.

Roberts really needs to leave Baltimore and get a fresh start somewhere else. The fans are tired of him and he is constantly hurt. His injuries are extremely annoying too. He swung too hard one time and hit his helmet, and had a headache and had to sit out for a full year! Even though RW said he's worth a flier in AL only leagues, that's not even the case. Roberts will never play 162 games in a year, and probably not even 50 ever again.
Bring back Ray!

#2 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

The dude's 35 and had a very good career, but he needs to retire already.

#3 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

hernia surgery less than a month ago - but he's good to go now!
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#4 kwelch

kwelch

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

He has two doubles so far and looked good leggin them out. What gives? I thought he lost a leg or something.

11 Team; Points Keeper League; 10th Pick
C: E. Gattis
1B: P. Fielder (K)
2B: M. Carpenter (K)
3B: M. Cabrera (TRD)
SS: H. Ramirez (K)
MI: A. Cabrera
CI: E. Encarnacion (K)
OF: S. Choo, G. Stanton, K. Davis, J. Willingham, A. Ethier
UTL: V. Martinez, J. Donaldson (TRD)
P: H. Bailey, D. Fister, H. Ryu, A. Reed, A. Cashner, C. Janssen, D. Salazar, A.J. Burnett, J. Axford
BEN: K. Wong, G. Sizemore, J. Villar

Forum: A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

#5 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

View Postkwelch, on 25 February 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

He has two doubles so far and looked good leggin them out. What gives? I thought he lost a leg or something.

Give him time, he'll be hurt eventually. He always finds a way. If he plays just a full month this year, it will be impressive.
Bring back Ray!

#6 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Can we just close this thread, he's not even good WHEN healthy now.

#7 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostZumayaaaa, on 25 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

Can we just close this thread, he's not even good WHEN healthy now.

Unless you play in a league that counts injuries as a category. I won first place a few years ago with him and Joel Zumaya.
No Days Off

#8 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

View Postkwelch, on 25 February 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

He's been resting up for 3 years. Legs are fresh!

If he can get back to half of what he was in 2009 I'd take him in one of my deeper leagues. Flier style.
I forgot how good he was in 2009.
56 Doubles, 16 HR, 79 RBI, 30 Steals, 179 Hits, 110 Runs

#9 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

I have the 2nd pick in a 10-team AL-only, so with 2b very thin in the AL, I might take Roberts at 199 and Casilla at 202.  Not saying I'll do it, but it is something in my mind right now (we draft on the 31st).  There is some hot-shot rookie (Schooph?) who might get a crack at the job, so I probably won't go this way.

Baltimore Boy, your comments on Roberts surprised me.  I was under the impression that Roberts was very popular in Baltimore.  With a taste of success last year, are O's fans getting heartless?

#10 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

View Postsunnyside, on 26 February 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

I have the 2nd pick in a 10-team AL-only, so with 2b very thin in the AL, I might take Roberts at 199 and Casilla at 202.  Not saying I'll do it, but it is something in my mind right now (we draft on the 31st).  There is some hot-shot rookie (Schooph?) who might get a crack at the job, so I probably won't go this way.

Baltimore Boy, your comments on Roberts surprised me.  I was under the impression that Roberts was very popular in Baltimore.  With a taste of success last year, are O's fans getting heartless?

Baltimore is extremely tired of Roberts. He needs to leave and get a fresh start. I mean, he hit himself on the head and missed a year and a half! He used to be the most popular Oriole here, but has overstayed his welcome.
Bring back Ray!

#11 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

No, as Baltimore_Boy pointed out, Orioles' fans are just tired of him.  I still believe that the Orioles should have traded him to the Cubs back before 2009, but I understand why management kept him...because he was the face of the franchise.  But since 2009, he has been non-existant to this franchise.  We, as Orioles' fans, were constantly getting vague information about when he would come back or what he status was.  Now that might be management keeping us in the dark, but we took it personally in regards to Roberts.  Especially when you consider that he gave himself a concussion that caused him to miss a great deal of time.

I will admit that a healthy Brian Roberts makes the Orioles a better team, but what are the odds that he actually makes the Opening Day lineup...let alone the whole season?  After three years of no production, it's hard to expect anything from Roberts.  So I wouldn't say we are being heartless to Roberts, we don't detest him like Yankees fans to Arod...but we want to move on from him and we don't expect anything from him this year.  That comes with disappointment over time.

I heard a Spring Training report during the first week of camp and the Orioles' beat writer was talking about Nolan Reimold and Brian Roberts.  They watched Reimold do drills and take batting practice.  They didn't see Roberts at all, they just *heard* that he was in camp.  You would think that if Roberts was healthy and able at that point, he would have been out and in front for the media to prove he was back.

I do feel bad that Roberts stayed here his whole career, they finally get to the playoffs and he can't play.  But that doesn't stop me from believing they should move on from the Brian Roberts' era after this season.

Edited by PepperPot, 26 February 2013 - 01:06 PM.

10 Team NL-Only Keeper List 5x5 260 Draft Cap
C: Rosario ($9)
1B: Alonso ($4)
2B: Gyorko ($14)
SS: Hanley ($22)
3B: Rendon ($4)
OF: Kemp ($11) Puig ($1) Yelich ($4)
P: Bailey ($3) Beachy ($1) Cashner ($7) Cingrani ($4) Cueto ($11) Wheeler ($4)
Needs: C,1B, MI, OF, Util, P
10 Team AL-Only Keeper List 5x5 $260 Draft Cap
1B: Hosmer ($15)
2B: Dozier ($2)
3B: Machado ($10)
CI: Lawrie ($10)
OF: Trout ($20) Myers ($5)
P: Moore ($5) Porcello ($1) Hunter ($3) Lackey ($5) Santana ($1) Walker ($5) Kazmir ($5)
Needs: C, SS, MI, OF, Util, P

#12 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,647 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostPepperPot, on 26 February 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

No, as Baltimore_Boy pointed out, Orioles' fans are just tired of him.  I still believe that the Orioles should have traded him to the Cubs back before 2009, but I understand why management kept him...because he was the face of the franchise.  But since 2009, he has been non-existant to this franchise.  We, as Orioles' fans, were constantly getting vague information about when he would come back or what he status was.  Now that might be management keeping us in the dark, but we took it personally in regards to Roberts.  Especially when you consider that he gave himself a concussion that caused him to miss a great deal of time.

I will admit that a healthy Brian Roberts makes the Orioles a better team, but what are the odds that he actually makes the Opening Day lineup...let alone the whole season?  After three years of no production, it's hard to expect anything from Roberts.  So I wouldn't say we are being heartless to Roberts, we don't detest him like Yankees fans to Arod...but we want to move on from him and we don't expect anything from him this year.  That comes with disappointment over time.

I heard a Spring Training report during the first week of camp and the Orioles' beat writer was talking about Nolan Reimold and Brian Roberts.  They watched Reimold do drills and take batting practice.  They didn't see Roberts at all, they just *heard* that he was in camp.  You would think that if Roberts was healthy and able at that point, he would have been out and in front for the media to prove he was back.

I do feel bad that Roberts stayed here his whole career, they finally get to the playoffs and he can't play.  But that doesn't stop me from believing they should move on from the Brian Roberts' era after this season.

Exactly. It was a great ride when he was playing, but it needs to come to an end. Honestly, I'd rather have Casilla play until Schoop is ready to make the jump to the bigs.
Bring back Ray!

#13 ssmarsh

ssmarsh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

This is the final year of his contract anyway so...
10 team, AL only, auction, keeper. Weekly roster moves, monthly access to FA's. We count holds as save/2. Players who qualify at DH can play OF.

C - C.Ianetta ($8), C.Stewart ($1)
1B - N.Swisher ($16); 3B - K.Youkilis ($11); CO - P.Konerko ($27)
2B - D.Pedroia ($24) ; SS - Y.Escobar ($11); MI - K.Johnson ($12)
OF - N.Cruz ($21), M.Morse ($21), T.Hunter ($11), M.Joyce ($8), J.Maxwell ($3)
DH - L.Cain ($11)
SP - J.Verlander ($32), J.Peavy ($7), E.Santana ($6), P.Hughes ($6), M.Buehrle ($4), J.Masterson ($1)
RP - J.Johnson ($12), S.Delabar ($4), D.O'Day ($0)
Bench - M.DeRosa ($0), H.Conger ($0), J.Iglesias ($0), L.Overbay ($0), P.Humber ($0), D.Smyly ($1), S.Kazmir ($0)

#14 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I would think in an AL only he might be worth a selection as your last pick. You start him when healthy and your other 2B when he's not. If he even gives you half a season (insert LOL here!), and you use your other pick of say Kelly Johnson the other half, that might not be such a bad platoon, no?
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#15 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Postuspsjeter2, on 27 February 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

I would think in an AL only he might be worth a selection as your last pick. You start him when healthy and your other 2B when he's not. If he even gives you half a season (insert LOL here!), and you use your other pick of say Kelly Johnson the other half, that might not be such a bad platoon, no?

That's what I am doing in my AL only league, I decided to pass on the top guys and get legit studs elsewhere and will mix and match at 2B.  I am leabing towards pairing Casilla with him but I think Johnson is the better guy to take.  Roberts has been a huge letdown due to injuries but he's playing for a contract here and if he can keep it together for the most part he can cash in on a deal with someone and get one last pay day.
16 Team 10 Player Keeper  (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters:  Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers:  Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#16 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Dude went in the 23rd round of my league last year, probably will go later this year.  Pretty solid for your MI spot if you waited or a bench spot to see how the first few weeks go.

Injury risk just doesnt matter that late into a draft.
-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

Football 2012: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: CHAMPION!!!!!
Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#17 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 27 February 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Dude went in the 23rd round of my league last year, probably will go later this year.  Pretty solid for your MI spot if you waited or a bench spot to see how the first few weeks go.

No doubt. He's imminently replaceable, so anything you get is profit, and the longer he plays above replacement, the more gravy you get to lap up.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#18 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

View Postuspsjeter2, on 27 February 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 27 February 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

No doubt. He's imminently replaceable, so anything you get is profit, and the longer he plays above replacement, the more gravy you get to lap up.

Which is why I don't understand the massive hate in this thread. If you're playing in a 10 team league with no MI spot, yeah disregard this thread.
-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

Football 2012: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: CHAMPION!!!!!
Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#19 kwelch

kwelch

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

3-for-3 with a homer today. Just fanning the flames of unreasonable expectations.

11 Team; Points Keeper League; 10th Pick
C: E. Gattis
1B: P. Fielder (K)
2B: M. Carpenter (K)
3B: M. Cabrera (TRD)
SS: H. Ramirez (K)
MI: A. Cabrera
CI: E. Encarnacion (K)
OF: S. Choo, G. Stanton, K. Davis, J. Willingham, A. Ethier
UTL: V. Martinez, J. Donaldson (TRD)
P: H. Bailey, D. Fister, H. Ryu, A. Reed, A. Cashner, C. Janssen, D. Salazar, A.J. Burnett, J. Axford
BEN: K. Wong, G. Sizemore, J. Villar

Forum: A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

#20 dasaucemasta

dasaucemasta

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Roberts, 35, is hitting .359 (14-for-39) with one home run, four doubles and a .972 OPS in 12 games this spring and could provide a huge boost to Baltimore's lineup if he can stay on the field.