Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Dexter Fowler 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
649 replies to this topic

#1 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

he finished with a 300 average. what is everyones opinions.

#2 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

he finished with a 300 average. what is everyones opinions.

I like him a lot this year too, but I kind of have the feeling he will start to be over hyped when drafts approach. If you are drafting now, it is a great time to draft him.
No Days Off

#3 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

A ton of potential, but nothing special imo. He's a product of Coors. Better real life player than fantasy.

#4 David.WReynolds

David.WReynolds
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

It sure would be nice if the guy learned how to steal a base. He has 14 caught stealing out of 38 attempts from 2011-12. If he can figure it out, I believe we could be looking in the range of 30 SB with upside for a lot more.

I don't believe the BABIP is repeatable(AVG will drop) but with his speed he can keep a higher BABIP. Which should keep his AVG ballpark of .270 for next year.

#5 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

A ton of potential, but nothing special imo. He's a product of Coors. Better real life player than fantasy.

Well...since he is still hitting at Coors...Not sure why I should care..

#6 King Felix

King Felix

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

My somewhat scattered thoughts on Dexter:

I like the guy a lot, think .275-20-20 is very reasonable. The only problem I see is he is prone to wild hot/cold streaks, so if you have to set your lineup for the week, that can suck if you time it poorly. Also, and this became less of an issue last year, Tracy moved him all over the place, including the #8 hole which is not the place to be in the NL. I think Colvin is a slotted as the regular 1B now, so the platoon threat that was rearing its head is reduced accordingly. He does K a lot, so despite the power/speed/OBP combo, he's not the prototypical #1/2 hitter, I could see him hitting in those two places or even the #5/6 to give him more RBI opportunities.

Edited by King Felix, 02 February 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#7 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

I like the guy a lot, think .275-20-20 is very reasonable. The only problem I see is he is prone to wild hot/cold streaks, so if you have to set your lineup for the week, that can suck if you time it poorly. Also, and this became less of an issue last year, Tracy moved him all over the place, including the #8 hole which is not the place to be in the NL. I think Colvin is a slotted as the regular 1B now, so the platoon threat that was rearing its head is reduced accordingly. He does K a lot, so despite the power/speed/OBP combo, he's not the prototypical #1/2 hitter, I could see him hitting in those two places or even the #5/6 to give him more RBI opportunities.

Not True. Helton is back for his 31st season as the Rockies starting 1B. Colvin is slated to fill in at 1B and all 3 OF slots.

#8 King Felix

King Felix

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Not True. Helton is back for his 31st season as the Rockies starting 1B. Colvin is slated to fill in at 1B and all 3 OF slots.

I knew he was coming back, but I swear I read Helton won't be used as the regular 1B. Don't think it hurts Fowler much given how he came on last year, but I'm surprised nonetheless since Colvin showed some post hype potential

#9 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Because his name has been brought up as a trade candidate since last year. He most likely will get traded this year seeing as he doesn't add anything to the Rockies. He's a decent late round pick playing in Coors, but he's FA fodder if he gets moved. Not someone I'd waste a pick on since he does nothing spectacuarly well.

#10 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Because his name has been brought up as a trade candidate since last year. He most likely will get traded this year seeing as he doesn't add anything to the Rockies. He's a decent late round pick playing in Coors, but he's FA fodder if he gets moved. Not someone I'd waste a pick on since he does nothing spectacuarly well.

The thing with fowler is that people have seen that he has the raw skills to be a 20 20 player he just hasn't put it together yet, and I don't really think he has the best instincts as a base runner. I'm also surprised to see bill James, who usually has high projections for players, project fowler to only have ten homers. Assuming he plays at least 150 games I think fowler will have 20 homers and an avg around .275 with at least 80 runs and 15 steals.
No Days Off

#11 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

The thing with fowler is that people have seen that he has the raw skills to be a 20 20 player he just hasn't put it together yet, and I don't really think he has the best instincts as a base runner. I'm also surprised to see bill James, who usually has high projections for players, project fowler to only have ten homers. Assuming he plays at least 150 games I think fowler will have 20 homers and an avg around .275 with at least 80 runs and 15 steals.

he doubled his career HR/FB last year. this year, you're expecting him to triple it?
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#12 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

He also had a lower FB% then the previous year while hitting 13 homers. I think he has gotten a lot stronger and he will continue to develop as a hitter. I'm not saying he is going to be elite I don't even think he will get 20 steals, but I think he gets the 20 homers if he does play enough games. His LD% won't be 27 again but I think he hits more fly balls this year and in coors he can hit 20 out
No Days Off

#13 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

He also had a lower FB% then the previous year while hitting 13 homers. I think he has gotten a lot stronger and he will continue to develop as a hitter. I'm not saying he is going to be elite I don't even think he will get 20 steals, but I think he gets the 20 homers if he does play enough games. His LD% won't be 27 again but I think he hits more fly balls this year and in coors he can hit 20 out
No Days Off

#14 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,321 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

For those of us in OPS leagues this dude is a difference-maker at OF. He's kind of a must-own to me.

Now that the idiot Tracy and all of his lineup BS is finally gone I have hope that Fowler will have his best season yet. It does worry me whether he stays in COL though.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#15 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

For those of us in OPS leagues this dude is a difference-maker at OF. He's kind of a must-own to me.

Now that the idiot Tracy and all of his lineup BS is finally gone I have hope that Fowler will have his best season yet. It does worry me whether he stays in COL though.

I think with a new manager this team starts off hot , but will eventually fade down the stretch. If they do have a good start they might not want to try to trade anyone. If they were going to trade someone I think they might trade cargo. They can get a top pitching prospect for him and more
No Days Off

#16 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

The lack of SB he has shown at the major league level is very disappointing. I think he needs a change of scenery.
www. drafttracker.net

#17 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

The lack of SB he has shown at the major league level is very disappointing. I think he needs a change of scenery.

Not much better place to hit than Coors. Yeah they don't like to run a whole lot on The Rockies, they rely on extra base hits and would rather not run themselves out of an inning.

20/20 would be great out of Fowler. Not a lock by any means but not out of the question either...

#18 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

I was reading an article on how Tracy was holding Fowler back on the base paths. Weiss on the other hand has already come out and said that Fowler has the green light on all counts.

#19 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,544 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

I was reading an article on how Tracy was holding Fowler back on the base paths. Weiss on the other hand has already come out and said that Fowler has the green light on all counts.

Nice. Hope his success rate improves
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#20 Mexi1024

Mexi1024

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Tracy held this dude back. Batting guys like Herrera in the #2 spot and leaving Fowler in the #8 hole to rot. His Extra base hits and slugging % rose very significantly last year and had Tulowitzki not been hurt all year long as well as Cuddyer for half the season along with all the other injuries to Colorado's lineup, Fowler would have had a lot more opportunities for runs/RBI's. I once again like Fowler to improve.