Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Keeper AdviceWHIR

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 The Sarge

The Sarge

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

With the season approaching, I'm looking for advice on my keepers for my auction league. First year doing an auction redraft type thing, so any help is appreciated.

The way it works is that we can keep up to 8 players, at an additional $5 to what we paid for them last year. I don't have to keep 8, but I can if I so choose. I had some good value at some positions last season, players that I am for sure keeping, which might allow me to keep some others.

Here is my roster from last season, with the price that the players will cost me THIS season, for 2013.

Our scoring format is 5x5 with OBP instead of runs.

C Carlos Santana $28
C J.P. Arencibia $9
1B Joey Votto $48
2B Dan Uggla $18
3B Adrian Beltre $34
SS Starlin Castro $25
CI Brett Lawrie $32
MI Howie Kendrick $15
OF Adam Jones $14
OF Chris Young $11
OF Jon Jay $15
OF Austin Jackson $6
OF Delmon Young $7
Util Chase Headley $15
Bench Tyler Colvin $15

P Clayton Kershaw $40
P Jake Peavy $6
P Ricky Romero $11
P Johnny Cueto $8
P Kyle Lohse $15
P Brandon League $10
P Rafael Betancourt $10
P Addison Reed $7
P Clayton Richard $15
Bench Jared Burton $15
Bench Colby Lewis $6

I feel like guys like Austin Jackson and Adam Jones might end up being kept for their price compared to what they can do with the bat. Debating keeping one of my 3B, too, as well as maybe guys like Cueto and Reed (If Reed is closing 7 bucks might not be bad to bet on him). If I go with the lower values then that might allow me to keep someone more expensive, though probably not Kershaw or Votto.

Again, this is my first year doing this sort of league, so I'm not sure if I should be looking to keep 8 at low costs, or keep 4-5. Any help is appreciated, so list your choices!

Thanks!

#2 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

I generally will keep a player if it's someone I want and I think they'd go for more if you let them go. That's it. There's no 'right' strategy. Lots of ways can work - it's going to depend on your personal style.

How much is your budget? I'll guess this is a 10 teamer? If so, I personally would not keep Cueto. He's good value so I won't knock you if he's a keeper, but I prefer to squeeze almost every penny from my arms and shuffle them over to the bats. I stream. A lot. If you can't/don't want to do that, Cueto is good value.

Jackson and Jones are obvious keepers. Headley is intriguing but I'd toss him back as I'm skeptical he'll repeat.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#3 The Sarge

The Sarge

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Ha, I knew I forgot something important in my first post.

It's a 12 team Roto league, with a cap of $270. Maybe that's why I was contemplating certain players because it was a 12 team league.

#4 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

In a 12-teamer, you have 5 locks in my opinion:

Chase Headley $15 (not a fan, but with this year's 3B situation, that price is a joke)
Adam Jones $14
Austin Jackson $6
Johnny Cueto $8
Addison Reed $7

Really not a fan of the prices on the rest of your hitters, Starlin Castro would be the next best value at $25, but if you don't have to keep anyone else I wouldn't hold onto him at that number (your league won't have the same inflation rate as many Auctions that don't have a $5 price bump).

The only other pitcher I may consider is Brandon League for $10, but only if there's news that Kenley Jansen has a setback or something -- $10 seems cheap for the Dodger closer, but if he's gonna lose the job midseason to a healthy Kenley, just dump League now and use the money elsewhere.

#5 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostThe Sarge, on 19 January 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

Ha, I knew I forgot something important in my first post.

It's a 12 team Roto league, with a cap of $270. Maybe that's why I was contemplating certain players because it was a 12 team league.
Hmm, at those prices/league size Cueto becomes a must keep, even for a pitching skeptic such as myself. And if we're going down this road, Peavy is good value as well.

Jackson/Jones are still must keeps. Headley becomes good value as I imagine he would go for a lot more in the auction.

Not a fan of keeping closers unless it's truly a dominate and elite option. Which you don't have. So I'd keep those 5 guys were I in your shoes (Cueto/Peavy/Jones/Jackson/Headley).
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#6 NYSportsfan24

NYSportsfan24

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

If it was me I would keep: Kershaw,Castro,A.Jones,A.Jackson,Headley,Cueto

http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=334074

#7 The Sarge

The Sarge

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the input.

Jackson, Jones and, Cueto seem like locks. Beyond that I'm still unsure.

Headless seems like good value, and with 3b I figure I can keep one of my three, maybe try for them again since I will start with a decent amount of cash. Peavy I didn't even want last year and don't think I'll keep. Castro is a possibility, though the price is a bit steep and Reed, if closing could be good at 7.

Any other advice is still appreciated.

#8 RNiner

RNiner

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

You're in the right direction.  The only thing I could add, is that Votto, Beltre and Castro are right around where they should be price-wise, maybe a buck or two higher.  So if you like them, you can keep any/all of them.  Votto is someone I'd like alot in an OBP league.  The other two, I'd probably toss back, though going in with SS filled is tempting...
20 Team Roto Keeper League, 5x5 (OBP replaces AVG)
9 Keepers*

C Mauer*
1B Goldschmidt*
2B Utley*
3B
SS
OF Trout*, Cargo*, Billy Hamilton*
Util
Bench

SP
RP Kimbrel*, Jansen*, Robertson*
Prospects - Dylan Bundy, Carlos Martinez

#9 The Sarge

The Sarge

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

It is tempting, though I was trying not to tie up too much money in my keepers. I think right now I'm just toying with keeping one higher priced guy and bidding on the rest, maybe trying to get them cheaper, or throwing them all back. The only bonus is if I throw them back, I can try and get them cheaper.

I think, if I added right, keeping Jackson, Jones, Cueto, Headley, and even Reed has me at $50 bucks going into the auction. And Headley is really only being kept in case 3B prices get jacked (don't think they will but you never know).

#10 The Sarge

The Sarge

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

I was kicking tires on a trade and ended up getting a (preliminary) offer. Basically the deal is (all prices are their prices for the upcoming year):

Headley ($15)/Peavy ($6)
for
Andrus ($21)/Moustakas ($8)

It would give me a SS at a cheaper price (though it's only 4 bucks), and a cheaper 3B option (if Moustakas is worth hanging on to) if I did the deal, though I'm unsure if I want to pull the trigger.

#11 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

4 for sure and I think good value: Jackson, Jones, Kershaw and Cueto all are below market price, Kershaw not by huge amount, but he probably goes $45 plus.

Then after that, its pretty much right at ore maybe slightly right above market value on a lot of these guys.  Is your free agent price $10 and then plus the $5?  which is why Colvin and Headley are $15?

Seems like the league is a keeper league, but its structure is to try and prevent a lot of cheap keepers, with the 5 add, best you can have is $6.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#12 The Sarge

The Sarge

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

View Postparrothead, on 22 January 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Then after that, its pretty much right at ore maybe slightly right above market value on a lot of these guys.  Is your free agent price $10 and then plus the $5?  which is why Colvin and Headley are $15?

Seems like the league is a keeper league, but its structure is to try and prevent a lot of cheap keepers, with the 5 add, best you can have is $6.

Indeed it is. If we picked them up and they had gone undrafted, they were at an automatic $10 for that season (though it meant nothing, really) with an extra $5 if we want to keep them.

#13 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostThe Sarge, on 22 January 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

View Postparrothead, on 22 January 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Indeed it is. If we picked them up and they had gone undrafted, they were at an automatic $10 for that season (though it meant nothing, really) with an extra $5 if we want to keep them.
Just curious, is there paranoia or something about having really cheap keepers?
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#14 The Sarge

The Sarge

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

In general for the league? I don't know. I want to say the idea is to have a greater turnaround roster wise, but that might just be me. I'm not paranoid about it lol. I'm more paranoid about keeping more expensive keepers and limiting myself further in the auction.

#15 The Sarge

The Sarge

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Well, with keepers due tomorrow, I've narrowed it down somewhat.

Right now, I think I'm keeping 6 of our 7 possibilities.
Adam Jones, Austin Jackson, Johnny Cueto, Starlin Castro, Chase Headley and Addison Reed. I feel like it sets me up well with 2 OF, 1 MI, 1 CI, 1 SP and a closer.

I do have the option to keep a 7th if I want to. Currently I'm at $75 spent if my math is right.

Worth it to maybe take a 7th guy, maybe roll the dice on one of the more expensive players like Kershaw, Votto, Beltre or Lawrie? Or keep someone with better upside like League (who may close)?

#16 avswsop91

avswsop91

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:28 AM

I would keep Chase Headley at $15, Adam Jones at $14, Starlin Castro at $25, Austin Jackson at $6, Johnny Cueto at $8 and Addison Reed at $7. No other real great vaule IMO.

Help me? http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=334777
12 Team Dynasty, Head-to-Head Category League (C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3 OF, Util, 7 P)
My Roster:
C – Willin Rosario
1B – Eric Hosmer
2B – Daniel Murphy
3B – Evan Longoria, Kyle Seager  

SS – JJ Hardy
OF – Giancarlo Stanton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jay Bruce, Jason Heyward, Yoenis Cespedes, George Springer
SP – Stephen Strasburg, Homer Bailey, Zack Grienke, Jeff Samardzija, Sonny Gray, Zack Wheeler, Dan Straily

RP - None

Prospects: Archie Bradley, Kyle Zimmer, Miguel Sano, Eddie Butler, Andrew Heaney, Trevor Bauer
DL - Mat Latos, David Robertson