87 replies to this topic

#1 DH61092

DH61092

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

after his trade to the giants he only hit .219, that may cause people to pass on him. i like his chances of rebounding this year and he could be a steal on draft day. anybody else targeting him? rotochamp has him ranked 39th among outfielders:

http://www.rotochamp...spx?Position=OF

if he falls to 39th he'll be a steal, assuming he starts hitting better at at&t park. he hit .220 there last year, but his career average there is .259, not bad considering what he did last year. i have much intrigue for pence, he's been like a top 20 outfielder all of his career.
C-   brian mccann (nyy)
1B- mike napoli (bos)
2B- daniel murphy (nym)
3B- manny machado (bal)
SS- starlin castro (chc)
OF- carlos gonzalez* (col)
OF- starling marte (pit)
OF- matt kemp* (lad)
UT- jose altuve (hou)
UT- anthony rendon (wsh)

B-  ben revere (phi)
SP- felix hernandez* (sea), madison bumgarner* (sf), johnny cueto (cin)
SP- scott kazmir (oak), kyle lohse (mil), hiroki kuroda (nyy), jake peavy (bos)
RP- latroy hawkins (col), joe smith (laa), cody allen (cle), drew storen (wsh), jake mcgee (tb)
DL- jay bruce (cin)

12 teams, 4 keepers, hitting stats: r, hits, 2b, hr, rbi, sb, avg, ops. pitching stats: w, l, s, holds, cg, era, whip, k's.

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Whats funny is that he had a real good track record of hitting at ATT when he was traded and in the summer time, especially for RH batters it can be pretty "live" park for right hand hitters in the right conditions.  The issue  was that he was all out of sorts for the Giants basically taking a middle in hack on every pitch when pitchers were living outer 3rd and as a result, he was pretty pathetic to watch at times.  

Here are some things to think about:

1. He doesnt have much behind him in that line up which can be a twofold issue:  One is that pitchers can just live outter third and nibble  which means he isnt in a great spot to get pitches to hit and two it can hurt his runs scored if he has nobody to drive him in.  

2. Career wise, he has among his lowest batting averages against two NL West opponents the Dodgers and Padres, and he is below career avg vs. the Rockies.  

So for me, I think there are reasons to be cautious about him this year until we see a productive year with the Giants, that said even with the cautious outlook, I think he will be undervalued and a player I will monitor how much he goes for in our auction and recommend others do the same(though with 6 Giant fans in our league, he probably will be OV in our league).
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

dont trust this guy unless you get him cheap.

#4 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postballfan4141, on 21 January 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

dont trust this guy unless you get him cheap.

Pence is what he is which is a notoriously streaky hitter.  his hot streaks are ridiculous.   If you can get him as your 4th OF,  you're in business.  Although he'll likely go earlier then u want to take him.

#5 David.WReynolds

David.WReynolds
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

I think we can not overlook the fact his value(goes up or down) by his amount of SB. He only gave us five last year. It sure would be nice if he got back to double digit numbers in the SB column.

#6 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

5 stolen bases to 10. that it not my concern. it would be the average.

#7 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:19 PM

ATT is the worst home run ballpark.  Do not want him.
-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

Football 2012: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: CHAMPION!!!!!
Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#8 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

He is one of the few guys I just don't have a read on, whether to stay away or not. He's better than he performed last year, but you have to figure his power will be sapped and he never should have had as good of an obp as he did in his previous years. I guess a guy I'd consider if I need a #3 outfielder in the mid to late rounds. At the same time I'm not sure I'd draft him over Aoki, Werth, or Crawford since they're all going in the same general area.

#9 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,341 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostBrewcrewfan, on 02 February 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

He is one of the few guys I just don't have a read on, whether to stay away or not. He's better than he performed last year, but you have to figure his power will be sapped and he never should have had as good of an obp as he did in his previous years. I guess a guy I'd consider if I need a #3 outfielder in the mid to late rounds. At the same time I'm not sure I'd draft him over Aoki, Werth, or Crawford since they're all going in the same general area.

I agree with you here, I wouldn't want him except as my third OF, but I would take him over werth and Aoki just because I think his average will rebound
No Days Off

#10 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Interests:Beating everyone

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

I feel like hes gotten pretty jacked the last fews years, and his swing has turned ugly because of it.  Last year I owned him and paid more attn to him then before, but it seemed to me like his swing was much more fluid in years past.  He looked like a a chest-heavy pull hacker last yr every time I turned him on TV. Has he always been so damn big?
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#11 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

View PostWahooManiac, on 02 February 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

I feel like hes gotten pretty jacked the last fews years, and his swing has turned ugly because of it.  Last year I owned him and paid more attn to him then before, but it seemed to me like his swing was much more fluid in years past.  He looked like a a chest-heavy pull hacker last yr every time I turned him on TV. Has he always been so damn big?

He's always had an ugly swing FWIW.
www. drafttracker.net

#12 Dissection

Dissection

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Psychology,Prog Rock,Poker.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Drafted him in 13th round last night.I didn't plan to draft him but at that price  he is bargain.I understand the issues he could have in SF but the hate is just incredible.

#13 danp

danp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

people will always undervalue him because he looks like a big dumbass. or maybe that's just me.

if you can get him in the 13th round, do it.

#14 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,534 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 01 February 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

ATT is the worst home run ballpark.  Do not want him.
Right handed pull power guys I think can do OK here, its just the Giants dont get many.  I remember their line up in the early 00's where they had guys like Jeff Kent, Rich Aurilia, Ellis Burks even David Bell all hit HR just fine there.  Their only real RH guy is Posey and he is an oppo let the ball get deep hitting approach guy.  

Pat Burrell in 2010 did ok in that half season he was with the team.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#15 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,268 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostWahooManiac, on 02 February 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

He's always had a terrible looking swing, horrible throwing motion, and runs in a bizarre way.  If you just turned on a game and watched Pence without any knowledge of the numbers he's put up, you would think he's one of the biggest scrubs in baseball.  But he's always managed to put up better numbers that guys with much better looking swings.  Can't imagine what scouts thought of him when they first saw him play in the minors.  Probably asked if he could even make it out of A ball with the swing he has.

#16 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

I think he has a bounceback year. Have followed him fairly close since his rookie year and by the time he got to the Giants he just looked out of whack.

In my mind I think he put to much pressure on himself to carry the Phillies in the first half last year. He was the source of the offense, and he changed his swing to become more of a power hitter while both Utely and Howard were out.  The stats from pre ASB compared to post ASB seem to bear this out. Maybe this year he reverts back to form.

Just my opinion through guesswork and some observation. Though he does have an unorthodox swing to say the least.

#17 Ned Ryerson

Ned Ryerson

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

He was very hard on himself last year from all the interviews I've caught. I think he will bounce back in a big way this year, he's a very prideful guy. That Giants team will be primed to repeat and should deliver the goods.

#18 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

First time i've been in this thread, count me in with most above as a fantasy fan this year. He's coming off a terrible 2nd half but nothing seems to be wrong. These are the perfect times to buy imo.

Btw, with Panda out indefinitely, he will definitely hit 3rd vs LHPs. Bochy has already shown his hand in ST this week, including today. Now whether he switches him with Belt at #5 vs RHPs is anybody's guess. Reading Bochy is like reading braille with your thumb. But for instance, the Gmen face Kershaw & Ryu in games 1 & 2. Expect to see Pence, Posey, Belt in that order imo.

#19 micyukcha

micyukcha

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

Looking very good early.

What are long term expectations?

#20 bbythepier

bbythepier

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,038 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

wish the Giants would have offered that extension preseason when he said he was open to it. kinda like back in the day when the Red Sox got the discount on Beckett after his crappy year.

Oh well, just have to give him a few more million now. SF right fielder for next 5 years

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users