Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Alex Rios 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
214 replies to this topic

#1 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

he had a good season. but you can never know what to expect. I dont think anymore can get a really accurate projection on his numbers.

#2 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

I don't see why he couldn't put up very similar numbers to 2012 in 2013. I doubt he will hit over .300 again, but high .280's to the mid .290's in BA is well within reach.

#3 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,043 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Odd year, which means avoid Alex. Better luck next year. He is so hard to predict. He is very talented but lacks motivation a lot of the time. That lineup is pretty solid assuming they will probaby go De Aza - Keppinger - Dunn - Konerko - Rios - Viciedo - Alexei - Flowers - Beckham. Something along those lines. Should be in a good spot for RBI's with some great OBP guys in front of him. The Keppinger add went under the radar but he had a .367 OBP last year and is a professional hitter, he has more BB's than K's in his career. Perfect 2 hitter for that team. I could see Alex getting 90 RBI's again no problem.

#4 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,350 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

I'd ideally like him as a UTIL/Bench guy out of the draft, but I'd grab him as an OF3 if I'm hard up. He's simply talented, which gives him - still - nice upside to gamble on. And yes - lots of lineup upside as well as Cmilne points out.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

If you are in a keeper league, coming off his lousy 2011 someone probably got him cheap and therefore even with the risk he is a keeper.

As for the yearly leagues, he will be drafted lower than his stats would suggest he should (unless you have newbies simply drafting off like an ESPN stats list or something) but with the numbers he did put up and the upside he has you have to think he is top 25-30 OF for someone.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 nittanychris

nittanychris

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

It's reasonable to be leary of Rios because of his wild inconsistency. However, he really seemed to settle in last season, he plays in a hitter's park and even with a slight step backwards he will still put up some very nice numbers. Worth taking a shot on him because I think he'll be undervalued again despite his great season in 2012.

#7 Damn Yankee

Damn Yankee

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

If you are in a keeper league, coming off his lousy 2011 someone probably got him cheap and therefore even with the risk he is a keeper.

As for the yearly leagues, he will be drafted lower than his stats would suggest he should (unless you have newbies simply drafting off like an ESPN stats list or something) but with the numbers he did put up and the upside he has you have to think he is top 25-30 OF for someone.

Agreed...he's a $1 keeper for me and is automatic. I think the odd year/even year thought process is just crap. Dude made major changes to his hitting approach last year after starting slow, and the results were solid...and consistent. Although I think his average may drop some, his production numbers HR/R/RBI should be consistent.
"If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every hand" - Phil Helmuth

#8 Thespis721

Thespis721

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

He's hitting higher in the line up this year to start. Not sure where but if he continues this success, he's solid. Best $2 pick up ever.
C: McCann
1B: Victor Martinez
2B: Dustin Ackley
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Alexei Ramirez
CI: Anthony Rendon
MI: Jed Lowrie
OF: Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Alex Gordon, De Aza
UT: Chase Headley
DL: Fowler, Lind
SP: Scherzer, Kazmir, Alex Wood, Lincecum, Gallardo

#9 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

need to have another season with guys like him who you get for nothing. there is a long list from last year.

#10 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

I certainly can't argue with anybody who keeps him for a buck or two. I'm just so aggravated by his wild year-to-year swings, I'm almost at wits end with it. It would be really nice if he would put together 2 solid seasons in a row. Is that too much to ask??
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#11 ithappens

ithappens

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

http://www.kffl.com/...os-to-hit-third

Chicago White Sox OF Alex Rios is expected to hit third this season. DH Adam Dunn hit third last season, but he has always been distracted by movement on the bases when he hits. So, he'll likely hit fifth, since OF Alejandro De Aza will hit leadoff and look to steal bases.
Fantasy Tip: We don't think this move affects Dunn much. It might hurt his RBI potential a bit with slow-footed Paul Konerko hitting ahead of him, as opposed to 1-2 hitters. But Dunn isn't typically a guy that drives in a ton of runs due to his low batting averages. If Rios can handle the three-hole, it should boost his value a bit.
2013-02-25 06:36:47 | Source: Chicago Sun-Times - Daryl Van Schouwen

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/...d#ixzz2LvRd275Z

12 team standard

Colin Kapernick

Ryan Tannehill

LeSean McCoy

Reggie Bush

Denard Robinson

Knile Davis

Roy Helu

Jimmy Graham

Jordy Nelson

Kelvin Benjamin

Roddy White

Wes Welker

#12 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

It is so tough to predict this guy, but he was a top 30 player last year and his ADP seems to be consierably lower then that. I honestly have no idea how this guy will do this year, and he could be a complete flop again.
No Days Off

#13 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Tough to predict, avoid. Simple.
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#14 K.Heart

K.Heart

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,064 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Tough to predict, avoid. Simple.

He's falling in drafts and can be had as an OF3 or OF4. That's worth the risk given the upside.

#15 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

He went in the 11th round in the fangraphs mock. What am I missing here?
Sarge: Whats gonna happen is that you jerk off the ball, almost wanna let this guy here jam you, and if it comes it comes.

#16 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

He went in the 11th round in the fangraphs mock. What am I missing here?

That there's probably an equal chance that he's 2011 Rios again as he's 2012 Alex Rios.
Career-high HR/FB rate, career-low walk rate in 2102. He walked 26 times total for the whole season. BA repeat unlikely.
And he's 32 years old.

He had 90+ runs scored and 90+ RBI in 2012. Here are some players who didn't:

Albert Pujols, Carlos Gonzalez, Jay Bruce, Jose Reyes, Prince Fielder, Dustin Pedroia, Hanley Ramirez, Buster Posey.

I'm not betting Rios repeats in 2013.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#17 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,264 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

There is almost no analysis that can be done on Rios at this point. There is no predicting him, no rhyme or reason. Some years he's great, some years hes completely mixed league irrelevant and horrific. Total crap shoot as to what guy you will get this year. At how low he is going I actually think he's kind of worth it, but plug your nose when you pick this clown...

#18 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

There is almost no analysis that can be done on Rios at this point. There is no predicting him, no rhyme or reason. Some years he's great, some years hes completely mixed league irrelevant and horrific. Total crap shoot as to what guy you will get this year. At how low he is going I actually think he's kind of worth it, but plug your nose when you pick this clown...

Guys like him, Ellsbury, Yasmani Grandal, they all give me a headache trying to decide if there is any kind of baseline I can find to try to project them from. I'll probably just ignore them all this year and just let them aggravate some other owner...

#19 Dissection

Dissection

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Good thing about him is that he'll bat third this year.It gives him possibility for runs and RBIs.My league draft on 26th and if this trend continues I'm definitely a buyer.

#20 FML

FML

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

On fire. 3rd straight game going yard. Maybe last year wasn't a fluke.

Megatron = lemon

A year early with his foresight but Julio is a wizard lol!