Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Delmon Young 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Delmon Young signed with the Phillies. I've never been a huge fan, given the off-field stuff and the fact that his approach doesn't play well in the majority of my leagues (OBP or BB inclusive).

But given the setting and that he's hitting his prime years at age 27, how does he rate with you the reader?
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#2 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Delmon Young signed with the Phillies. I've never been a huge fan, given the off-field stuff and the fact that his approach doesn't play well in the majority of my leagues (OBP or BB inclusive).

But given the setting and that he's hitting his prime years at age 27, how does he rate with you the reader?

Will he be seeing full time at bats? I know his defense is a huge liability and there is no option for him to DH in the NL. I think he might be a part of a platoon situation, but I dont know who else the Phillies have he could platoon with.
No Days Off

#3 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Will he be seeing full time at bats? I know his defense is a huge liability and there is no option for him to DH in the NL. I think he might be a part of a platoon situation, but I dont know who else the Phillies have he could platoon with.

The early impressions I'm seeing on the tweeter is that he'll be the leftfielder and that this could force Ruf back to the minors to start the season. That's writer speculation, so it's "FWIW" status until Amaro or Manuel comes out and dishes.

#4 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I don't think this was a good move for the Phils. I don't see them as contenders this year, and they would have been better off giving either Dominic Brown or Darin Ruf a shot at holding down the job and seeing what they can get from them. I'm just not sure where he fits in with the Phillies. He's a DH, not an outfielder.
Bring back Ray!

#5 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I don't think this was a good move for the Phils. I don't see them as contenders this year, and they would have been better off giving either Dominic Brown or Darin Ruf a shot at holding down the job and seeing what they can get from them. I'm just not sure where he fits in with the Phillies. He's a DH, not an outfielder.

RW just posted that they plan on playing him in Right, so this does hurt the devleopment of Ruf or Brown. Brown showed signs of his potential last year, but just hasnt been able to get full playing time and been able to put it all together. I personally don't like this move either, unless they just want him to trade him middle of the year. But he is a huge defensive liability. In terms of fantasy, if he couldn't be a huge fantasy player in that lineup last year then I don't think he will this year even if he moves to a better hitters ballpark.
No Days Off

#6 RAEF715

RAEF715

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

i guess i cant argue the price and he's at a good age, and we lack veteran outfielders, so lets see what comes of it moving to the phils bandbox...

maybe you see if he gets off to a good start..if not unload him and bring Ruf up...the thought of Young trying to play right seems crazy...

Young in left and Ruf at first and sitting Howard against some lefties is something Charlie wont dare to do.....

amaro worded in his statement that YOung would be competing for time.he's not being handed anything..

wondering if there is another move in store... it wouldnt seem like the phils would have enough to deal for Upton to play right, but you never know.
1 month to the 2013 us open right here at Merion.

#7 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

1 year contracts can do wonders for players.

#8 Ben Edelman

Ben Edelman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

The Phils have a really weak OF. This gives them depth in case one of their kids falters. Counting on both Ruf and Brown to be effective for a full season was quite a gamble.

Having three respectable OF for two corner positions is a good move. If Delmon isn't happy with that arrangement, he can go find some puppies to beat up or something. <yes, that was in really poor taste. I in no way condone the beating of puppies, not even the really yappy ones.>

Since 1995: 12-team 4x4 Roto auction keeper, NL-only. Likely keepers:
C: Mesoraco, xx
1/3: Lamb, Rendon, xx
2/S: Tulo, Alcantara, Segura
O/U: Yelich, Harper, xx, xx, xx, xx
SP: Hahn, Morton, xx, xx, xx
RP: Rondon, Clippard, Mejia, Fujikawa, xx
Min: Bryant, JP Crawford, Piscotty

#9 phizzics

phizzics

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

I like the move for him and think it helps the Phillies as well. That outfield has too many question marks (Ruf, Brown, Mayberry) and Young gives them a decent option who will benefit from both the park and being motivated by a single year commitment. Worst that happens is that they wind up with a relatively expensive pinch hitter to bring in against lefties...at home...at night...on grass...after April :P

Definitely makes him an intriguing late-round/bench option.

#10 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 21,043 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Hes so bad defensively its gonna be hard to have him out there consistently. Watching him labor in the outfield for Detroit this last year was brutal and his bat isnt enough to keep him out there with the brutal defense he plays. He could put it together for a contract year as it is (so was last year though) but to do so hes gonna have to get in shape, he wasnt last year, and actually be able to sprint and cover some ground.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#11 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

A top 25 OF could be gone in the first 8-9 rounds. I wouldn't be drafting Delmon in the top 100 right now. I would rather roll the dice on other OFs at that point.He does offer quite the upside though.

#12 jbrekel

jbrekel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I'm amazed that this was all he was able to grab on the open market. I've obviously soured on him but he's still young and had stretches of being a good offensive player.
I don't see a good fit in Philly but he's so cheap that he's cuttable if things go wrong or could be trade bait. I just think they were better off giving Brown one last shot or letting Ruf do his thing...

#13 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 21,043 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Actually for the cost, maybe he can hold the job down all year. I knew it was a cheap deal, but man they have it made if he falls on his face or does something stupid. 750K is nothing. Michael Bourn cant like seeing that.

#14 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

The discussion on Daily News Live included a side bit about how Amaro basically did focus-group testing on Young with the local Jewish community (of which Amaro is a member). The feeling is that he's learned his lesson and is turning around his life. Apparently he befriended a Detroit-area rabbi along the way.

The plan is to let him compete for the RF job, but win it and run with it. I'm still leery and would want to see a more disciplined approach before dipping my toe in the pool.

#15 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,930 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

When Delmon was drafted he was said to possess an excellent arm and good range. Now he is 27 and can hardly move out there. That is all you need to know about Delmon Young.

What a waste.

#16 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 21,043 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Interesting, but not in a good way.

Jayson Stark@jaysonst
Delmon Young (20 GIDP, 20 BB) last year became 10th player ever w as many GIDP as walks in a season w 600+ PA, 20+ BB & 20+ GIDP.#hardtodo

#17 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

can't believe this guy is still in the league, let alone a starter
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#18 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

can't believe this guy is still in the league, let alone a starter

He's like the Liriano of hitters. He has shown promise one or two years, and has led people to believe he might be able to finnaly put it together.
No Days Off

#19 South Jersey Bombers

South Jersey Bombers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

i love the people who say "the phillies arent contenders"....just cut the s---...The phils will be fine an win 90+ games....

second, love this addition! the guy has something to play for, he has to keep his weight all season (included in the contract, he must meet weight requirements and will be weighed randomly 6 different times during the year) he still is young, he has scene pressure situations, he has hit big league curves and fastballs, and what better hitting coach then Charlie to turn him around? It worked with Werth and now im hoping it will work with Young. Great job amarom, i could see 18-25 hrs from this kid if his head on on strait.

2014 champ, and letting my league mates know every day and every second i can.

#20 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,930 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

i love the people who say "the phillies arent contenders"....just cut the s---...The phils will be fine an win 90+ games....

second, love this addition! the guy has something to play for, he has to keep his weight all season (included in the contract, he must meet weight requirements and will be weighed randomly 6 different times during the year) he still is young, he has scene pressure situations, he has hit big league curves and fastballs, and what better hitting coach then Charlie to turn him around? It worked with Werth and now im hoping it will work with Young. Great job amarom, i could see 18-25 hrs from this kid if his head on on strait.

Not happening.

18-25 HR with his defence and a .300 OBP = not very valuable.