Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Kendall Marshall 2012-2013 Season OutlookRookie Suns PG

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 imdebaser

imdebaser

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Reports are he is now practicing with the first team along with Dragic. With the recent coaching change and their terrible record, the Suns might throw Marshall into the fire to see what he can do. Might be worth a shot in deeper league since the new coach Hunter is high on the rook.

#2 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Oh wow, first team.  I was speculating that Dragic may play alongside him at times, but didn't imagine he'd enter the starting lineup.  I'm very excited to see what Marshall can do as I was a huge fan watching him at UNC.

His fantasy value in extended minutes would really just be assists/steals  He's not really a good shooter, more streaky than anything so his 3pt value could fluctuate (but I'm sure he'll attempt a few per game).  Unfortunately, to me he profiles as a player who may be much better in real life versus fantasy.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#3 bballshinobi

bballshinobi

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Looking at his college stats, draft profile, and preseason performances, I don't think he will be a big difference maker. Like imdebase said, probably only a deep league option. He can't shoot (69% FT in college) nor can he score (8.1 points in college), and I don't think he'll be able to produce enough in assists and steals to be fantasy relevant in standard league (14 teams and fewer)

#4 larsenjake

larsenjake

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

I could see him averaging 10+ assists and 1+ threes if given 25 or more minutes. Towards the end of his career at UNC, his shooting noticeably improved if I remember correctly.

#5 dribblingmachine

dribblingmachine

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

lol, you mean he's rajon rondo?

#6 Acre

Acre

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

He was definitely the best passing point guard in this year's draft.
12-team, 7 keeper league

C - Wilson Ramos
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
CI - Jose Abreu
2B - Dee Gordon
SS - Ian Desmond
MI - Omar Infante
3B - Josh Donaldson
OF - Adam Jones, Brock Holt, Starling Marte, Christian Yelich, Dexter Fowler
Bench - Taveras, Duda, Coghlan

SP - Wainwright, Teheran, Gray, Richards, Cobb, Arrieta, Roark, Leake, Keuchel
RP - Casilla, J. Smith, Mejia

IR - Matt Harvey

#7 BlueDevils22

BlueDevils22

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,591 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

View Postlarsenjake, on 22 January 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

I could see him averaging 10+ assists and 1+ threes if given 25 or more minutes. Towards the end of his career at UNC, his shooting noticeably improved if I remember correctly.

You do realize that only 1 player avgs. over 10 apg (Rondo) or no? im assuming you didnt know that. Ill go out on a limb and say Marshall has a 0% chance to avg. 10 APG this season.

Edited by BlueDevils22, 22 January 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#8 larsenjake

larsenjake

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

View Postdribblingmachine, on 22 January 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

lol, you mean he's rajon rondo?

10 may be hyperbolic but he averaged a pretty high amount in the d-league. He'll defer assists for layups like rondo though. His 3pt% is at .7.

Here are his d-league stats: http://www.draftexpr...-Marshall-5095/

View PostBlueDevils22, on 22 January 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

View Postlarsenjake, on 22 January 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

You do realize that only 1 player avgs. over 10 apg (Rondo) or no? im assuming you didnt know that. Ill go out on a limb and say Marshall has a 0% chance to avg. 10 APG this season.

It sounds like you forgot about his 15 point, 11 assist night against dook to win the regular season ACC title

Edited by larsenjake, 22 January 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#9 clintonj8

clintonj8

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

His 3pt% is not .7(70%), he makes .7 per game at a 22% mark which is terrible.  Clearly can't shoot the ball yet based off those numbers but the assists and steals are pretty nice.  He's also 6'4 making it possible to run with dragic.  Don't think there will be a huge gain here even with 20-25 mins which is a stretch already.

#10 larsenjake

larsenjake

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

View Postclintonj8, on 22 January 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

His 3pt% is not .7(70%), he makes .7 per game at a 22% mark which is terrible.  Clearly can't shoot the ball yet based off those numbers but the assists and steals are pretty nice.  He's also 6'4 making it possible to run with dragic.  Don't think there will be a huge gain here even with 20-25 mins which is a stretch already.

My bad. I dont know why I put 3pt% because my league doesn't count 3pt%, just 3pts made.

#11 bloopy

bloopy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

i'm extremely surprised that they would play both dragic and kendall marshall together.

1. one of the suns' problem is scoring the ball.
2. another one of the suns' problem is rebounding the ball.
3. another one of the suns' problem is defense.

with kendall marshall, he's a horrible shooter and scorer. will his presence and playmaking significantly open up opportunities to make up for that? he's not a great rebounder for his size either, at 6-4 and only getting 3rpg in college/d-league. the only positive is that he's big for a pg so he can defend them, but that would make dragic defend SGs, who would absolutely torch dragic.
13.9 pts, 5.4 rebs, 3.3 asts, 1.0 stls, 0.7 blks, 1.0 3pm, 1.9 to, 46 FG%, 78 FT%

#12 sansabri

sansabri

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

I don't see him playing more than 25 min/g.  His D-League stats are very telling.  He hasn't developed much of a jumper or improved his FT shooting.  Phoenix may end up with the worst free throw shooting backcourt w/Dragic & Marshall playing together.  If he does play 20-15 min/g, you can expect something like 6 pts & 5 asts per with maybe .8 steals or so.  Not fantasy worthy.

This may open up the game for Dragic to not dribble up as often and look for his shot more.

Edited by sansabri, 22 January 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#13 k1ng

k1ng

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

rubio??
12 Team ESPN League

PG Lillard, Rondo, Beverly
SG Beal, Waiters, Bradley
SF  Durant, Parsons, Carroll, Middleton
PF  Sullinger, Millsap
C Drummond, Dieng, Pekovic

16 Team Yahoo League

PG Rubio, Marshall, Bledsoe
SG Bradley, Joe Johnson, Roberts
SF  Hayward, Ross, Carroll, Harkless
PF  Millsap, M Morris,
C Love, Drummond, Dieng

#14 k1ng

k1ng

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

a pick and roll with gortat and marshall could be nice for all parties involved.
12 Team ESPN League

PG Lillard, Rondo, Beverly
SG Beal, Waiters, Bradley
SF  Durant, Parsons, Carroll, Middleton
PF  Sullinger, Millsap
C Drummond, Dieng, Pekovic

16 Team Yahoo League

PG Rubio, Marshall, Bledsoe
SG Bradley, Joe Johnson, Roberts
SF  Hayward, Ross, Carroll, Harkless
PF  Millsap, M Morris,
C Love, Drummond, Dieng

#15 Assasinn3

Assasinn3

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

If he gets the minutes I can see him posting Rubio type numbers (last years Rubio) this year -- they have a very similar game. He is a unique pass first PG who I was high on while watching him play in college. So, if he does get the minutes I can see him posting a lot of 10+ assist games. Unfortunately averaging 10+asts/g this season is being very optimistic, but so long as he can remain healthy (which is a huge concern and the reason his draft value plummeted) and he can get the minutes (30+/g as the starting PG) he should reach that level in a few years given his play style. However, I can see whatever experiment Hunter is trying to accomplish failing hard, because I can't see Dragic and Marshall playing alongside one another working  -- the team's defense would hurt, and their offense would be stagnant with 2 play-makers. But hey you never know... it's worked in Minny with Rubio and Ridnour, so why not work here too given that Marshall plays like Rubio and Dragic can play like Ridnour?

#16 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostAssasinn3, on 22 January 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

If he gets the minutes I can see him posting Rubio type numbers (last years Rubio) this year -- they have a very similar game. He is a unique pass first PG who I was high on while watching him play in college. So, if he does get the minutes I can see him posting a lot of 10+ assist games. Unfortunately averaging 10+asts/g this season is being very optimistic, but so long as he can remain healthy (which is a huge concern and the reason his draft value plummeted) and he can get the minutes (30+/g as the starting PG) he should reach that level in a few years given his play style. However, I can see whatever experiment Hunter is trying to accomplish failing hard, because I can't see Dragic and Marshall playing alongside one another working  -- the team's defense would hurt, and their offense would be stagnant with 2 play-makers. But hey you never know... it's worked in Minny with Rubio and Ridnour, so why not work here too given that Marshall plays like Rubio and Dragic can play like Ridnour?

Rubio stats of last year is extremely optimistic. He won't get the usg rate to accumulate all the assists and he's no where near the theft that Rubio is. I'll be surprised if he evens gets 20 minutes a game here on out (barring a Dragic injury of course).

#17 sansabri

sansabri

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostmonkeyzonSteroids, on 22 January 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Rubio stats of last year is extremely optimistic. He won't get the usg rate to accumulate all the assists and he's no where near the theft that Rubio is. I'll be surprised if he evens gets 20 minutes a game here on out (barring a Dragic injury of course).

My sentiments exactly.  Let's not go overboard on a guy that's only played about 50 minutes in the NBA and has only scored 7 points and dished 8 assists (w/6 TOs)

#18 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hey I'm all for optimistic projections but some of the posts above are absurd; last year Rubio type numbers or also10 AST + 1 STL if given 25 min/g?!  That would give him one of the best per-36 AST rates in recent NBA history lol.  I don't wanna be a downer here, but really I thought this guy was a turrrble draft pick and wouldn't have even gone in the 1st round if he wasn't playing on that UNC team.  He is definitely an above average college passer and has decent size but really I don't see much beyond that.  I wouldn't roster his NBA-DL stats, would you? (for my lazier friends, in 32 min/g 31% FG, 69% FT, 22% 3PT w/ 0.7/g, 7.6 AST, 1.2 STL, 3.0 REB, 0.0 BLK, 3.4 TO) - and that's against NBA-DL talent.  He's looked really bad in any pre-season or summer league action, I really see him in Europe in a few years.  I could be wrong, but I see him as a 3rd string PG, maybe a slightly less productive version of 2013 Jamal Tinsley haha.  Anyway, don't touch this guy even if he puts up big #'s one game, Dragic is 100x better (even though he's more of a combo guard than a true PG hence the pairing), and the only reason he's getting run is bc Hunter was involved in drafting him.

Edited by krupocin, 22 January 2013 - 07:02 PM.

How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#19 svensta

svensta

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Dragic
Shannon Brown
Jared Dudley
Scola
Gortat

that should be the lineup
12 Team, H2H, 9 Cat, $$$ League, 1st place, 111-56-4

PG: Goran Dragic, Mo Williams
SG: Paul George, Will Barton
SF: Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, Chandler Parsons

PF: Pau Gasol, Paul Millsap, Ersan Ilyasova
C: Amir Johnson, Andre Drummond, Nicola Vucevic

#20 hifica

hifica

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm in very deep league, but I'd still rather betting on Delonte West or Chris Andersen, or even Beveley (Houston) before him.