Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Collin Cowgill 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#1 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Any Ariz/Oak fans want to shed some light on him? I know he's only had a cup of coffee for each team but hearing Alderson on the radio, he sounds pretty high on this kid.

Looking at his 2011 yr in the minors (AAA), it was ridiculous:  .354 BA,  13/70 and 30 SB's.  His OBP was also very solid, career .371 OBP

If Neiunwheis doesnt improve his plate discipline, Cowgil could easily take over the every day role.

Cowgil still fairly young (26).  Could be a decent flier in deep leagues...

#2 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

didnt he play in the majors last year a little?

#3 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

View Postballfan4141, on 23 January 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

didnt he play in the majors last year a little?

Yea only 38 games last year and 36 the year prior with ARI.

Didnt do much really either stint.  So this year will be his 1st legit chance in the pros.  He's got solid speed and showed some pop in the minors (16 and 13 hrs, back to back yrs)

Could be a solid roto guy more then h2h but might present some value this yr in fantasy

#4 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostWhoopie!, on 23 January 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Any Ariz/Oak fans want to shed some light on him? I know he's only had a cup of coffee for each team but hearing Alderson on the radio, he sounds pretty high on this kid.

Looking at his 2011 yr in the minors (AAA), it was ridiculous:  .354 BA,  13/70 and 30 SB's.  His OBP was also very solid, career .371 OBP

If Neiunwheis doesnt improve his plate discipline, Cowgil could easily take over the every day role.

Cowgil still fairly young (26).  Could be a decent flier in deep leagues...

Playing in Triple A Reno will make players look better than they are, Brandon Allen immediately comes to mind.  But in fairness to Cowgill, his walk and strikeout rates coming up through the minors were good.  It's a shame that in his limited appearances to date, he has struck 25% of the time.  There is some potential here, perhaps for him to be a De Aza type player.  Definitely needs to count down on the strikeouts and hopefully add a little bit more power than he had last year for the A's.  Three extra base hits in 116 plate appearances isn't going to cut it.

It's unfortunate that he basically lost a year because Billy Beane wanted to acquire 15 outfielders last off season and never really got an extended look.  But like you said, at this point in time, there really isn't a reason for him to not see a lot of time for the Mets.  Apparently he is their fourth outfielder right now, according to the rotoworld depth chart.  But if he plays to his potential, then he should have no problem between out one of the Duda, Nieuwenhuis and Baxter trio currently slated to start in the outfield.  In the very least, he should see a lot of playing time due to the fact that he's probbably a better fielder than all three of them.

I see him as a .270 10 hr 20-25 sb type player if he got anywhere near full playing time.  That definitely has value in deep mixed and NL-Only leagues.  But it will be important to keep a tab on what happens during spring training in regards to his playing time.

Edited by PepperPot, 23 January 2013 - 03:33 PM.

14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Both of those organizations have a knack for acquiring 3rd-4th OF types that tend to on the surface block the path of prospect types needing a chance.  He is a guy I for sure will monitor in spring and can be a nice cheap source of bags or perhaps goes undrafted and could be a replacement for me if I roll the dice on a minor league guy like Tavares or Brown.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

The OBP/speed combo has me intrigued.   I dont think he'll be the 4th OF for the Mets, he could be in a straight platoon with Neuwinheis in CF.  And depending on their play, 1 of those 2 could emerge as the everyday guy.

Sandy did seem pretty optimistic about Cowgill's outlook this year.  At the very least, he's going to get a legit chance this yr.

#7 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Cowgill is actually doing better than Duda and Neuw in spring training

as if I bumped this lol...Mooooooo

edit: "in spring training"

Edited by Suikoden, 07 March 2013 - 12:06 PM.

20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#8 LUNT101

LUNT101

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Yes, right now Cowgill is the favorite to start in CF. Kirk is hurt (and was struggling anyway). Den Dekker is still too young.
I like this site

#9 dsw283

dsw283

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

I've seen several teams use their name as "reverse cowgill" and I can't help but laugh every time I see it.

#10 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Cowgill hmm, what he's doing this spring?

#11 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostAnd Won, on 07 March 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Cowgill hmm, what he's doing this spring?

Milking his competition
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#12 rotodr

rotodr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Just named the Mets starting CF

Rotoworld:

Collin Cowgill will open 2013 as the Mets' full-time center fielder.
Cowgill had an impressive spring and the Mets will go into the season with him as their everyday starter. Kirk Nieuwhenhuis made the Opening Day roster, but will function as a backup initially. If Cowgill can continue to hit right-handed pitching, he should have decent value in NL-only leagues.

I'm sensing a 15/15 season easily

Where does thus leave Valdespin?
Drafting................

#13 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

looks like he's won the everyday job for CF.  Will he also be leading off or will he be hitting at the end of the lineup?

Cowgill had an impressive spring and the Mets will go into the season with him as their everyday starter. Kirk Nieuwhenhuis made the Opening Day roster, but will function as a backup initially. If Cowgill can continue to hit right-handed pitching, he should have decent value in NL-only leagues.

#14 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Folks, his name is Collin Cowgill........does that sound like a HOFer to you?  No.  He has bust written all over his name.
10 Team Redraft League (one UTIL spot)
C   Buster Posey
1B Víctor Martínez, Matt Adams
2B Robinson Canó
3B Kyle Seager
SS Hanley Ramírez
OF Matt Holliday, Matt Kemp, Josh Hamilton, Ben Revere, Corey Dickerson
SP Justin Verlander, Jered Weaver, Hyun-jin Ryu, Jake Arrieta, Alex Wood, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP Rafael Soriano, Santiago Casilla, Sean Doolittle, Cody Allen

#15 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostStuPitt, on 30 March 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

Folks, his name is Collin Cowgill........does that sound like a HOFer to you?  No.  He has bust written all over his name.

Are you really using his name to judge what type of player he is?
Bring back Ray!

#16 kobe24

kobe24

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,987 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostStuPitt, on 30 March 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

Hmm I never thought about it like that. Definite bust lol

Edited by kobe24, 30 March 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#17 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

If you switch the first letters in his first/last name ... You get Collin Cowgill

Pick 'em up!

#18 ulysses

ulysses

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postjb_power, on 30 March 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

looks like he's won the everyday job for CF.  Will he also be leading off or will he be hitting at the end of the lineup?

based on what reuben tejada is doing this spring, and the reports of managements dissatisfaction with tejadas plate discipline, I could see cowgill leading off. I'm thinking the lead off spot is between tejada and cowgill with murphy batting second.

#19 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Cowgill is leading off, Collind has already announced the lineup.

Tejada is nowhere near the leadoff spot.

#20 ulysses

ulysses

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

View Postrraayy3, on 30 March 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Cowgill is leading off, Collind has already announced the lineup.

Tejada is nowhere near the leadoff spot.

well i mean not just for opening day. if cowgill can get on base he'll keep the leadoff spot. collins has praised cowgill during the offseason saying he is a darkhorse to be a good fixture on the team