Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Shaun Marcum 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#1 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Mets have signed a one-year contract with Shaun Marcum.

Marcum will hope to revitalize his value in the pitcher-friendly confines of Citi Field before attempting to finally cash in big in the fall. The 31-year-old right-hander posted a decent 3.70 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 7.9 K/9 in 124 innings last year for the Brewers while battling elbow issues. He'll carry a good amount of fantasy value in 2013 if he's healthy.

Anything to see here?  End-game flier in drafts possibly.

#2 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Great signing for the Mets.   If he's healthy,  Marcum is a top-40 guy easily.

Also now in Citi Field,  i'll be looking to add him later in drafts.

#3 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,865 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Its a good thing a pitcher with injury issues signed with a team that has such a good history of dealing with injuries...
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#4 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postdzemens, on 24 January 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

Its a good thing a pitcher with injury issues signed with a team that has such a good history of dealing with injuries...

Haha i read  1 yr 8 million with an option for a 2nd year.   Even if his elbow falls off in the 1st week of the season, thats still a no brainer signing.  Marcum has #2 SP type upside.

#5 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,865 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostWhoopie!, on 24 January 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Haha i read  1 yr 8 million with an option for a 2nd year.   Even if his elbow falls off in the 1st week of the season, thats still a no brainer signing.  Marcum has #2 SP type upside.

Good signing, solid late round play but it seems like its a bad matchup.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#6 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,603 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

The 2 points aren't mutually exclusive - a 1-year deal with team option has almost no risk for the Mets.  But yeah, for Marcum's long-term prospects...I hope he has a good personal MD.   :blink:    Still, he will be literally going at the endgame of most redrafts, so it's not a huge risk for FBB owners - just don't get too married to the idea of 25+ starts.

(On a more serious note - were there ANY changes in the medical staff of the Mets?   Without all the details from the past 3-4 years, it's impossible to know for sure, but either the staff needs to change, or the FO needs to start listening to their concerns - because it's either the opinions weren't good, or the FO didn't listen).
Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, Gerhart, C-Michael, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#7 Big Tuna

Big Tuna

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostRotoRaysfan, on 24 January 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

The 2 points aren't mutually exclusive - a 1-year deal with team option has almost no risk for the Mets.  But yeah, for Marcum's long-term prospects...I hope he has a good personal MD.   :blink: Still, he will be literally going at the endgame of most redrafts, so it's not a huge risk for FBB owners - just don't get too married to the idea of 25+ starts.

(On a more serious note - were there ANY changes in the medical staff of the Mets?   Without all the details from the past 3-4 years, it's impossible to know for sure, but either the staff needs to change, or the FO needs to start listening to their concerns - because it's either the opinions weren't good, or the FO didn't listen).

I'll be eyeing him up as a late rd sleeper.  should be cheap

#8 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yea if you can get him as you're 6th SP or there about, great pick.  All upside really.

#9 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,401 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Good landing spot for him too considering he's a flyball pitcher....Marcum's an interesting pitcher as he sets you up with that blazing 87 MPH FB....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#10 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 24 January 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Good landing spot for him too considering he's a flyball pitcher....Marcum's an interesting pitcher as he sets you up with that blazing 87 MPH FB....

Well hes got 4 pitches Marcum, mixes it up alot with a nasty curve.   And has always had good control.  He's a perfect fit for Citi Field assuming he is healthy

#11 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Real nice signing for the Mets.

Johan/Marcum/Harvey/Niese looks pretty respectable
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ

#12 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

View Postmalta69, on 24 January 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

And Gee ...and Wheeler in due time.

Harvey/Wheeler/Niese going to be a solid foundation for yrs.

If this team can get some solid bats in here with Wright/Davis/Darnaud,  future looks decent

#13 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,742 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostWhoopie!, on 24 January 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

View Postmalta69, on 24 January 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

And Gee ...and Wheeler in due time.

Harvey/Wheeler/Niese going to be a solid foundation for yrs.

If this team can get some solid bats in here with Wright/Davis/Darnaud,  future looks decent

For the first time in a while the Mets actually have a decent outllook in the future... but they still need to add something to their OF (not sure if that something is Bourn). Back to Marcum, I think this is a great signing because if he starts out great then they could always trade him to a contender at the deadline for prospects, they also can might be able to get a good draft pick at the end of the year if they don't want to resign him.
No Days Off

#14 Dissection

Dissection

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Bourn would be great but it would mean they lose their 1st round pick and I'm not sure that's a good idea.They are not in position to contend for PO spot so it would be wise to proceed with their smart rebuild.In a 2-3 years this type of signing would be great but now it's too early.I'm not pretty sure they are seriously considering Bourn but nevermind.

#15 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Its a good landing spot for him in real life and for his fantasy prospects.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#16 pacosarae

pacosarae

Single-A

• Probationary Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

Its a good thing a pitcher with injury issues signed with a team that has such a good history of dealing with injuries.Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostDissection, on 24 January 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

Bourn would be great but it would mean they lose their 1st round pick and I'm not sure that's a good idea.They are not in position to contend for PO spot so it would be wise to proceed with their smart rebuild.In a 2-3 years this type of signing would be great but now it's too early.I'm not pretty sure they are seriously considering Bourn but nevermind.

Well they're apparently petitioning MLB to forfeit their 2nd rd pick if they signed Bourn.  They have the #11 pick but they did finish with a bottom 10 losing record.  Top 10 picks are protected, they may be able to keep that pick still.  We'll see.  Im not even sure how it all works, Pittsburgh wasnt able to sign that guy last year in the 1st, so they would get this Mets pick?

Anyone?

Edited by Whoopie!, 25 January 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#18 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostWhoopie!, on 25 January 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

Well they're apparently petitioning MLB to forfeit their 2nd rd pick if they signed Bourn.  They have the #11 pick but they did finish with a bottom 10 losing record.  Top 10 picks are protected, they may be able to keep that pick still.  We'll see.  Im not even sure how it all works, Pittsburgh wasnt able to sign that guy last year in the 1st, so they would get this Mets pick?

Anyone?

From what I understand, the Mets pick would have been top-10 protected, but the Pirates got another high pick this year because they failed to sign their first rounder last year. The Mets are arguing that their pick would have been protected if not for the incompetence of the Pirates and/or said prospect.

This would also suggest to me that the Mets may already have the framework of a deal in place for Bourn and may move quickly if MLB rules in their favor.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#19 Whoopie!

Whoopie!

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostTheJRod2006, on 25 January 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

View PostWhoopie!, on 25 January 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

Anyone?

From what I understand, the Mets pick would have been top-10 protected, but the Pirates got another high pick this year because they failed to sign their first rounder last year. The Mets are arguing that their pick would have been protected if not for the incompetence of the Pirates and/or said prospect.

This would also suggest to me that the Mets may already have the framework of a deal in place for Bourn and may move quickly if MLB rules in their favor.

Agreed.  You dont go thru all that w/o the intent to sign.  Now if they're denied, i cant touch Bourn as a Mets fan.   Just makes no sense.  Those 1st rd picks and #11 overall, just wayyyy to valuable.

2nd rd pick?  Get Bourn here fast!

Oh and that rule is terrible, why should the Mets be penalized for the ineptitude of Pittsburgh??!

Edited by Whoopie!, 25 January 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#20 Dissection

Dissection

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Shaun Marcum has a 2.67 road ERA since 2011, best among pitchers with at least 100 IP. Getting away from Miller Park will be good for him.