Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Trying to decide which 4 to keep

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

6x6 scoring - additional categories are K's for hitters and Losses for pitchers

Pick 4 keepers out of the following:
Miguel Cabrera(obvious)
Tulo
Justin Upton
Posey
Harper
Kinsler
R. Zimmerman
Bumgarner
Wainwright

My guts tellin me the first 4. I hate letting Harper go though. But I have 5th pick. 40 players total will be off the board for the draft. You can keep players forever too. What do you think?
Sarge: Whats gonna happen is that you jerk off the ball, almost wanna let this guy here jam you, and if it comes it comes.

#2 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

Any way to make a deal? Because I'd hate to part with any of those.
As much as i'd hate to do it, i'd probably let Upton go. I couldn't part with Harper, Posey, Tulo, or Cabrera. Upton would be insanely tough to give up as well, but i think I'm taking Haper's ceiling over Upton's.

#3 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

cabrera posey harper (tulowitzki or bumgarner) trade upton for picks? can you do that. bank now on his hype on new team.

#4 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Nah no trades guys. So you guys like Harper over Upton huh? hmmmmm
Sarge: Whats gonna happen is that you jerk off the ball, almost wanna let this guy here jam you, and if it comes it comes.

#5 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I'd keep both Upton and Harper along with Cabrera and Posey. It's definitely between the top 5 guys. I just have no faith left in Tulo. I was burned by him a few years back and thought I was getting a good deal last year, so I took him again and was burned again. I actually like Upton and Harper both more than Tulo this year anyway. Upton should be motivated to show Arizona what they got rid of and Harper is a tremendous talent that is now in one of the top lineups.
Bring back Ray!

#6 mbick2003

mbick2003

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I think I would go with Upton Harper Cabrera and Posey as well. It'd be tough to give up Tulo, but his injuries have become a big concern.
12 team mixed Roto...Year 3 of a 5 year keeper league! 12 Keepers!

C- Mauer
1B- Posey
2B- Kendrick
3B- Wright
SS- Castro
MI- Hardy
CI- Rizzo
OF- CarGo, Trout, Lake, Brantley, Crisp
U- A. Hill, Middlebrooks (B), Grandy (B), Castellanos (B), Ichiro (B)
P- Strasburg, Kershaw, Fister, Hellickson, Greinke, Colon, Archer, Westbrook, Perkins, Arroyo (B)

#7 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

This is tough. Almost every mock i see has Tulo in late 1st, early 2nd

Edited by jackmurphy, 30 January 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#8 cad300

cad300

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Harper, Tulo, Posey, Cabrera
10 team h2h, obp 5x5. We keep 8
C Mesoraco 1B Trumbo 2B Altuve
3B Miggy SS Rollins
OF McCutchen OF Gomez OF Kemp
UTIL Dickerson UTIL Pence
Bench: Myers, Harrison

SP Felix, Strasburg, Greinke, Ross, Arrieta
RP Robertson,Rodney, Britton, Casilla, Melancon
Other SP's: E Santana, Hughes, Minor

#9 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

In this format Miggy, Harper & Posey are locks, it's Tulo or Upton to me. I'm currently drafting Tulo first, but with your Keeper settings, I think Upton has more value being 3 years younger. There's a decent amount of depth at SS at the top end (gets nasty late, but you can find someone solid in the first 10 rounds).

This is tough. Almost every mock i see has Tulo in late 1st, early 2nd

Mocks are irrelevant to your team and are usually not Keeper formats. If every mock had Ryan Zimmerman in the first round, would you keep him instead? He's basically the Tulo of 3B -- solid Avg, solid Power, but can't stay healthy. Tulo is a stud when healthy, but can't stay healthy -- even when his game totals are high, he's been playing a hurt a lot and it's crushing his numbers -- he turns 29 at the end of the season, I really don't see him staying healthy and putting up numbers for that much longer -- he couldn't stay healthy at 25-27, what would make you think he will at 28-30?

#10 usf_football43

usf_football43

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Cabrera, Harper (think a young Braun minus the average - don't ever drop), Upton (although I understand position scarcity with Posey), and Tulo (even though he's an injury risk). Tulo gives you every category H2H against Posey (close in average) and you could always get Posey back if you really wanted him early. With Upton over Posey, Miggy and Tulo will hold your average up enough that Posey is expendable. Upton gives you a huge advantage in steals and runs. Posey K's way less, but Upton's average isn't chop liver. Granted the position scarcity plays a factor, but you will be able to get Posey back early IMO if you're really freaked out about the catcher position.

#11 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

What no Bumgarner love? Cabrera Harper Posey are must-keep. In your forever format a case could be made for Bumgarner, but J-Up works too. The decision is between these 2. If you know your league mates and their tendencies, like SP's are overvalued or there are more Braves fans, drop the one you're most likely to get back in the draft. Otherwise go with your gut.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#12 burty1

burty1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

NO WAY you drop Harper if you can keep a player forever.

Cabrera, Tulo, Posey, Harper for me. Upton has been more hype than results lately. Not sure a move to Atlanta is going to help!

#13 Mastermind77

Mastermind77

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Cabrera and Posey jump out at me first. After that, considering it is a "forever keeper", you have to do Harper and then I'd probably lean towards Tulo but he just can't seem to put togehter a full healthy season though. I guess the question is, do you think there is a chance to redraft any of those guys with the 5th pick?

NFL 12 team - 3 player keeper league
QB Matt Ryan
RB J Charles, R. Jennings
WR D. Thomas, Mi. Floyd
TE J. Graham
Flex  Asiata
Defense: Seattle
K: Dawson

Bench
WR: D. Jackson, E. Decker, J. Gordon
RB: Vereen, McKinnon, I. Crowell

#14 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the replies...

I'm still pondering who I should keep every single day.

My latest is Miggy, Upton, Harper, Posey. I have 5th pick and I'm pretty sure this one guy in my league isn't keeping Hanley. If I throw back Tulo, that means Tulo and Hanley have a chance of falling to me at #5.

Does this sound smart?

#15 Ochobaby

Ochobaby

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

I would go with Miggy/Posey/Harper/Tulo

Tulo is a high risk high reward player.

http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=336491 Help?

10 Team Money League- .5PPR
QB(x1): Matt Ryan
RB(x2): Forte, Gio/Hillman
WR(x2): D Thomas, A. Brown
W/R-Flex(x1): Gore
TE(x1): Gronk, H Miller
DEF: Streaming
K: Bailey
BENCH: R.Jennings, Mathews, M. Floyd J. Gordon, Dixon

#16 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Keep the top 5 minus Tulo. He's really the only one that has a serious question mark. I'd hate to keep Tulo over Upton or Harper and they become studs for a long time and Tulo gets injured. I can deal with Tulo being a stud for another team when I have those other 4 guys.

#17 HOOTIE

HOOTIE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

I would keep
Miggy/Harper/Tulo/Upton
Posey is hot, but C usually miss a lot of games, plus i don't see him repeating.

#18 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

Everyone giving me different opinions.

Looks like its down to Tulo vs. Posey. I hate this decision. Leaning towards cutting Tulo loose.

#19 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Keeping Posey over Tulo makes more sense for several reasons. His stats at catcher are simply more valuable because they are from a catcher. The Giants are focused on Posey's health and give him days at 1B to help avoid wear and tear. Tulo has never played a full season. Health is a skill and he simply doesn't own it. Posey has twice in 3 years finished the season. And by your own admission a Tulo-type player should fall to you in the draft. Keep Posey.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#20 TheRick

TheRick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Tulo, Upton, Harper, Cabrera... you'd draft all 4 of them before Posey so it's an easy decision.