Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Position eligibility settings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Just curious for both leagues that have by-laws and stat services that allow your settings and those that are determined by your stat provider, I am curious about pre-season and in season eligibility.

Is there a point in the season when last years eligiblity no longer matters in your league? It is one of those rules weve never quite settled on, right now you can use last seasons eligibility to move guys around until April 30th, from May 1st and on, you can only use this seasons elibibility to move around and in season its 5 games pre-all star and 10 games and pre-season is 20.

Its a roto league, you dont have to move guys in and out and if a guy was 1B eligible off the 20 games last year and you have him at 1B you dont have to move him out of there after May 1, but if you had moved him at some point, you cant move him back after May 1 unless this seasons eligibility of 5 games there was met.

Just curious how other leagues do it?
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#2 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Never played in a format that took away positionality midseason.

#3 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Just curious for both leagues that have by-laws and stat services that allow your settings and those that are determined by your stat provider, I am curious about pre-season and in season eligibility.

Is there a point in the season when last years eligiblity no longer matters in your league? It is one of those rules weve never quite settled on, right now you can use last seasons eligibility to move guys around until April 30th, from May 1st and on, you can only use this seasons elibibility to move around and in season its 5 games pre-all star and 10 games and pre-season is 20.

Its a roto league, you dont have to move guys in and out and if a guy was 1B eligible off the 20 games last year and you have him at 1B you dont have to move him out of there after May 1, but if you had moved him at some point, you cant move him back after May 1 unless this seasons eligibility of 5 games there was met.

Just curious how other leagues do it?

Yea it was one of those things that was already in when I took over the league about a decade ago and never really felt that strong one way or another to change it but just kind of curious what others are doing because it always leads to guys make an illegal move here or there after May 1.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#4 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

The main league I play in has a 20 game requirement last year (if you didn't play 20 games at any position, you gain the position at which you played the most games). If you didn't play at all, you get the position you most recent played the most in the Minors or a previous Major League season (i.e. Victor Martinez qualified as a Catcher in 2011, so he's a catcher in 2013 -- assuming he converts to a DH-only on May 1 in your league). Then all players can earn extra positionality during the year by playing in 10 games at another position.

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

The main league I play in has a 20 game requirement last year (if you didn't play 20 games at any position, you gain the position at which you played the most games). If you didn't play at all, you get the position you most recent played the most in the Minors or a previous Major League season (i.e. Victor Martinez qualified as a Catcher in 2011, so he's a catcher in 2013 -- assuming he converts to a DH-only on May 1 in your league). Then all players can earn extra positionality during the year by playing in 10 games at another position.

Yep, so VMart who I own will be a C eligible, we have the same rules you do essentially:, we have the same rules you do. If I keep him at C or trade him to a team that he goes into the C spot, that is fine. But if I were to move him to say DH to pick up someone after may 1, if he hasnt played 5 pre-all star or 10 after, I couldnt move him back to C. So a guy can stay there all year, but you just cant move him out and move him back. Im thinking of proposing a change to just not losing any eligibility but gaining with the 5-10 but I wanted to see what else is being done out there for similar type of leagues.

20 games, we also have if a guy played 20 games combined at SS or 2B, or 1B or 3B but not 20 at either, they can go into the MI or CI spots and many years this never matters, but it matters this year for Prado.
5-10 during season
No Play at all revert to last season played (V Mart)
Dont play 20 - where you played most and/or where you are projected as a starter for upcoming year.
Rookie where they played in minors or projected starting spot
Projections only used for players who played less than 20.

#6 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Our league has a 20 game requirement at a position. If you don't get 20 games anywhere, then it goes to the position where the most games were played. It's also different because during the season, if someone just plays 1 game at a position, then they gain eligibility for that whole year. This is an NL only league, so for example, last year I had 3 catchers (Grandal, Rosario, Wellington Castillo) and basically no 3B (Ryan Wheeler). Rosario randomly finished 1 game at 3rd, so I just slotted him in at 3B for the rest of the year.
Bring back Ray!

#7 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Our league has a 20 game requirement at a position. If you don't get 20 games anywhere, then it goes to the position where the most games were played. It's also different because during the season, if someone just plays 1 game at a position, then they gain eligibility for that whole year. This is an NL only league, so for example, last year I had 3 catchers (Grandal, Rosario, Wellington Castillo) and basically no 3B (Ryan Wheeler). Rosario randomly finished 1 game at 3rd, so I just slotted him in at 3B for the rest of the year.

In an "only" league the 1 gamer is a little random for my taste, its a little random in every league but having some guy get out there to close out an extra inning game or something could have huge fantasy implications. Like I think David Wright has played 1 game at SS each of the last two seasons.

#8 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

I'm not sure what the correct way or the better way is, but I surely would be very against that single game qualification rule.

#9 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I'm not sure what the correct way or the better way is, but I surely would be very against that single game qualification rule.

I think at least 5, but 10 makes sense too.

#10 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

I like the rule. If it was a mixed or deep league, then I probably wouldn't favor it, but in an only league, it is very helpful. It's really hard to fill every position and to have multiple players there in case something happens, so having players qualify at multiple positions is a huge boost, especially since the 1 game rule also gives them immediate eligibility.
Bring back Ray!

#11 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

In an "only" league the 1 gamer is a little random for my taste, its a little random in every league but having some guy get out there to close out an extra inning game or something could have huge fantasy implications. Like I think David Wright has played 1 game at SS each of the last two seasons.

Wright has played SS the last 2 games. Rosario was a random beneficiary also with 1B and 3B eligibility. Headley played 1B once. Prado played a few at 1B to give him 5 positions. Molina played 1B. Everth Cabrera played 3B once and more marginal players that people in mixed leagues have probably never heard of. Basically, it's more people than you think that benefit from this rule.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 28 January 2013 - 08:46 PM.

Bring back Ray!