Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Michael Zunino C SEA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#41 capattack

capattack

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

Montero hurt in the minors. The guy they called up got hurt tonight, Wedge said might have a fracture in his hand/finger (somewhere in that area) ... Zunino time?

He's still nowhere near ready, and I doubt the M's call him up to play as a back-up while he needs tons of reps in AAA to work on his strikeout problems. I think it's much more likely the M's either call-up a guy from AA for a day while they sign a free agent vet in the interim. If Zunino does get the call, it will only be for a day or two while the org gets a more capable back-up option in place. Basically, even if he is called up, you don't want him playing on your fantasy team, because Zunino just isn't ready yet.

Are we sure? There only two options are both not on the 40 man. If Sucre is out for a long period of time (fracture/break) odds are Zunino gets the call of the two of them. Mariners beat writers speculating he could get the call because he knows the staff pretty well from working w/ them in the Spring.

I agree with you though that he doesn't appear to be anywhere near ready, then again a lot of players have put up some ugly numbers in the minors and come up to do just fine in the big leagues. The fact he played at college helps, so at least he was facing semi-decent compeition, especially in the SEC
12 team keeper. 10x10 scoring.

C- Rosario
1b- Goldschmidt
2b- Hill
3b- Longoria
SS- Segura
OF- McCutchen
OF-CarGo
OF- A. Jones
UTL- N. Cruz
UTL- Zobrist
BN- Abreu, Profar, Miller, Moose, Eaton, Craword, Revere, Headley, Wieters

Minors- Taveras

SP- King, Scherzer, Hamels, Lynn, Lincecum, Gray, Gallardo, Ventura
RP- None

Minors-Bradley

#42 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

Please happen
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#43 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:59 AM

He's striking out in 33% of his at bats in the offense inflating PCL. Right now, Zunino would be a failure at the big league level (he'd probably hit like .170 or so). I don't understand the desire on these boards for a prospect to be called up before they're ready, which Zunino clearly is not.
"We used to roast Stay Puft marshmallows by the fire at Camp Wocanda."

#44 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

Furthermore, a call-up now would make Zunino a big league backup -- not exactly how you want to treat a top prospect who obviously needs more reps to work on his weaknesses. The M's have already screwed this up once this year by leaving Montero on the team as a backup when he clearly needed at bats. Lets hope they don't make the same mistake twice.

#45 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,590 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:14 AM

I don't understand the desire on these boards for a prospect to be called up before they're ready, which Zunino clearly is not.

Deep 2 catcher leagues. Try and understand.

#46 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

I don't understand the desire on these boards for a prospect to be called up before they're ready, which Zunino clearly is not.

Your funeral, man. I'd rather see a prospect when they're good and ready to contribute. I really like Zunino, but he's got huge holes in his swing right now.

#47 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,590 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

Your funeral, man. I'd rather see a prospect when they're good and ready to contribute. I really like Zunino, but he's got huge holes in his swing right now.

The bar is pretty low in those leagues for a serviceable catcher. Playing time is more important than anything.

If he were to hit 240 every day with some pop and counting stats, that would be pretty helpful. Just saying, there are many people in my shoes would love to take the chance. He's been stashed on my team most of the year because I'm particularly weak at catcher.

Same situation if someone a guy with bad underlying numbers but got named the closer. If you're in some rinky dink 10 team leagues, then sure you can pass because everyone has 3 guys and some are on the wire. In deep leagues, Kevin Gregg gets picked up in a second and you're just happy to get the ticket.

There's no need to have a condescending atitude about other people's choices or leagues. You don't think he's ready to be in the show, that's great. That's YOUR opinion. Fact of the matter is there are A LOT of leagues where any starting catcher has tremendous value, and I'm in one of them.

#48 SportsFanEvan

SportsFanEvan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

Here are two articles recently posted on the Zunino situation:

http://prospectinsid...talking-zunino/

and

http://blogs.seattle...tomorrows-game/

#49 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

Here are two articles recently posted on the Zunino situation:

http://prospectinsid...talking-zunino/

and

http://blogs.seattle...tomorrows-game/

Churchill (the guy writing the article in the first link) is a great source for M's prospect news for those of you who don't know about him. He does a lot of writing under the purview of Keith Law at ESPN for prospect scouting and amateur draft news, but he started as an M's guy. He and Dave Cameron are the de facto guys to listen to when it comes to Mariners prospects.

#50 Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

The bar is pretty low in those leagues for a serviceable catcher. Playing time is more important than anything.

If he were to hit 240 every day with some pop and counting stats, that would be pretty helpful. Just saying, there are many people in my shoes would love to take the chance. He's been stashed on my team most of the year because I'm particularly weak at catcher.

Same situation if someone a guy with bad underlying numbers but got named the closer. If you're in some rinky dink 10 team leagues, then sure you can pass because everyone has 3 guys and some are on the wire. In deep leagues, Kevin Gregg gets picked up in a second and you're just happy to get the ticket.

There's no need to have a condescending atitude about other people's choices or leagues. You don't think he's ready to be in the show, that's great. That's YOUR opinion. Fact of the matter is there are A LOT of leagues where any starting catcher has tremendous value, and I'm in one of them.

What I'm suggesting is that Zunino doesn't have the current skillset to hit .240 in the big leagues. His skills look a lot closer to a .170 big league hitter. And I apologize if it sounds like condescension, but there's no way I'm going to be happy for you or understand you if you want a prospect to get called up just so you can get a few counting stats for your fantasy team in lieu of him actually making progress for himself on shoring up his weaknesses down in the minors. As an M's fan, I think your desire to have Zunino called up is silly, short-sighted, and self-serving, and as a fantasy guy I think your desire to have Zunino called up is strange because he would be a back-up and wouldn't get many at bats anyway and even when he did hit his performance would likely be pretty close to fantasy replacement level in AL Only 2-catcher leagues.

#51 SportsFanEvan

SportsFanEvan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

Geoff Baker@gbakermariners31s
Jesus Sucre told me there's no bone break in his hand but he will be out 3 or 4 days. #Mariners

Guess he won't be coming up anytime soon.

EDIT:

Geoff Baker@gbakermariners4m

#Mariners could also call up Mike Zunino or Brandon Bantz from AAA as only short drive from Tacoma. Making decision now.

Edited by SportsFanEvan, 05 June 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#52 a tiger's jaw

a tiger's jaw

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'm hearing he's being called up. Nothing official yet but it should be soon.

10-team H2H Points PPR - A Graham For Josh Gordon

QB - Ryan

RB - Lacy, Ellington

WR - Brown, Randle

TE - Graham

FLEX - T-Williams

D/ST & K - stream

BENCH - Vereen, Reed, Sankey, Gordon, Crabtree, Flacco

12-team H2H points non-ppr - An Absolutely Pittaful Team

QB - Wilson

RB - Lacy, Miller

WR - Cobb, Allen

TE - Kelce

FLEX - Ball

D/ST & K - stream

BENCH - Bell, Sankey, Thomas, Shorts III, Gordon, Blue, Hurns

#53 a tiger's jaw

a tiger's jaw

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

It's official, he's gotten the call. First position player from the 2012 draft to make the bigs.

I'm not exactly sure I understand the move, as his numbers in AAA weren't exactly eye popping, but then again, the Mariners have been starting Kelly Shoppach behind the dish.

10-team H2H Points PPR - A Graham For Josh Gordon

QB - Ryan

RB - Lacy, Ellington

WR - Brown, Randle

TE - Graham

FLEX - T-Williams

D/ST & K - stream

BENCH - Vereen, Reed, Sankey, Gordon, Crabtree, Flacco

12-team H2H points non-ppr - An Absolutely Pittaful Team

QB - Wilson

RB - Lacy, Miller

WR - Cobb, Allen