Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * * * - 1 votes

Anti-aging Fla. Clinic PED suspensions?MLB players implicated Aug. 5: Suspensions, A-Rod appealing

• Please log in to reply
1053 replies to this topic

#1 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

What does everyone think of the recent news linking Gio Gonzalez to a steroid clinic? That's some pretty bad company to keep.

From SB Nation

A three-month investigation by the New Times as allegedly revealed links between a Miami PED clinic called Biogenesis and six prominent MLB players: Gio Gonzalez, Alex Rodriguez, Nelson Cruz, Melky Cabrera, Yasmani Grandal, and Bartolo Colon.
The report states that the names included -- as well as several others left out of the report -- were all part of Biogenesis records given to the New Times by a clinic employee shortly before the company shut down last month.
Though the company advertised as an anti-aging center, according to the New Timesreport the records are also clear in describing the real business of the clinic: selling everything from Human Growth Hormone to anabolic steroids.
The head of the clinic, Anthony Bosch, as well as his father, Pedro, have been tied to steroid distribution in the past, as the pair were linked to Manny Ramirez's steroid suspension in 2009.
Major League Baseball has opened an investigation into the Bosches with the help of the US Drug Enforcement Agency, reports the New York Daily News, as the family duo appears to be tied to several clinics in the south Florida area.

http://www.mlbdailyd...ping-PED-clinic

Edited by RotoRaysfan, 29 January 2013 - 11:13 AM.
Topic changed since story expanding to multiple players...

#2 South Jersey Bombers

South Jersey Bombers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:trying to take over the world

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Is there going to be an investigation? As a Phillies homer im very interested to see what is going to happen.
Ortiz
Tulowitzki
Longoria
Cespedes
Hamels
Grienke

12 team, H2H, Dynasty

#3 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,798 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Pretty crazy news, I would think his stock will drop just for fear of suspension. Nelson Cruz makes some sense now though, he was constantly injured and probably wanted help with those injuries
No Days Off

#4 cowbell204

cowbell204

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Can ARod get his money back?

#5 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Nelson Cruz makes the most sense really. He was a AAAA player really before ahem... yeah.

#6 cowbell204

cowbell204

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Can someone get Steph Curry hooked up with this doctor?

#7 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,170 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Since Grandal already got 50 games - if true, likely this was the source.  For anyone else though - the 50-game hammer looms large, given the revised drug policy covers this type of usage (if it can be confirmed).  Big news for sure, if true - shows a glimpse of how prevalent HGH use was before serum testing....
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
AL-only 5x5, Roto - 2010 & 2011 league champion
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#8 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,016 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

• HGH promotes and increases the synthesis of new protein tissues, such as in muscle recovery or repair. This is the way new muscle is built.
  • Recent research suggests its involvement in the metabolism of body-fat and its conversion to energy sources. Tests were conducted in obese people and medical use in treating obesity was proven beyond a doubt. Pro's have used GH as a way of maintaining and increasing lean mass while dieting for years.
  • It improves the sleeping pattern, makes for less unintended awakenings and betters REM-stage sleep.
  • HGH produces more energy
  • It may improve sexual performance
  • It builds stronger bones
  • Improves the quality and duration of heart and kidneys

Those are the benefits of using HGH.  Now we will have to hear the media tell everyone that taking HGH makes guys like Willie Bloomquist have the ability to slug 50 HR's with a cycle of it.  Sigh.  

#9 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostRotoRaysfan, on 29 January 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

Since Grandal already got 50 games - if true, likely this was the source.  For anyone else though - the 50-game hammer looms large, given the revised drug policy covers this type of usage (if it can be confirmed).  Big news for sure, if true - shows a glimpse of how prevalent HGH use was before serum testing....
Melky and Colon were also both suspended 50 games last year.  Probably the biggest surprise or disappointment name for many I assume is Gio.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#10 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,170 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

View Postparrothead, on 29 January 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

View PostRotoRaysfan, on 29 January 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

Melky and Colon were also both suspended 50 games last year.  Probably the biggest surprise or disappointment name for many I assume is Gio.

Forgot about BFC, Melky can likely claim this was his source too.  If the 3 players already suspended confess and proof of purchase records implicate the others - well, it will taken while, but it will be hard for players confirmed on hard records to deny.  

Re: HGH it's been covered too many times to count - but the gain is the ability to recover faster post-injury and between training sessions - increasing the amount of training players can do.  Not surprised pitchers and hitters would be named...going to take a while, but the PR battle likely begins soon...
TBD Baseball 2011 League Champion - 20 team, 7x7 (5x5 plus 2B+3B, BB, QS & Holds) Dynasty - Division winner, and squeaked through playoff finals!
RotoWood 2011 League Runner-Up - Mixed Roto regular season / H2H playoff 5x5 format - 3rd place reg. season, lost in finals

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

#11 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Wow, a young Gio Gonzales is the stunner.  Makes me glad now I never got him in my drafts.

Hey would he, if proven guilty, get the same 50 game suspension as a SP pitcher?  Would seem more fair to suspend him longer since he only plays every 5th game.

With A-Rod possibly out for the season plus this looming as a suspension for the following year, does that mean his career is pretty much washed up?  And can we add him to the list of star players who may not see the inside of Cooperstown any time soon?  How the mighty have fallen and all like that.

#12 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,170 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 29 January 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Wow, a young Gio Gonzales is the stunner.  Makes me glad now I never got him in my drafts.

Hey would he, if proven guilty, get the same 50 game suspension as a SP pitcher?  Would seem more fair to suspend him longer since he only plays every 5th game.

With A-Rod possibly out for the season plus this looming as a suspension for the following year, does that mean his career is pretty much washed up?  And can we add him to the list of star players who may not see the inside of Cooperstown any time soon?  How the mighty have fallen and all like that.

Every player gets 50 games for their first suspension.  SP's only play every 5th game (or so) - so that means they would miss 10 starts or so, but they only start 30+ games in an entire season - the same proportion exists, regardless of bat vs. arm.

It's very premature, and as the RW blurb pointed out, every player would have the ability to appeal - so it's unlikely any news will come soon.   But, if this story gains more traction - then the 50-game spectre is going to drop Gio & Cruz's value down tremendously.   In some ways, it would be worse to have a long drawn-out process (unless it was so long it didn't involve the 2013 season - which seems doubtful, given MLB past history) - since a 50-game suspension later on involves stretch run, fantasy playoffs, etc.

It adds a ton of uncertainty if you are drafting soon - for those that are drafting in March or later, you can bet we'll find out if MLB wants to pursue this, and how seriously...

#13 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,798 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostRotoRaysfan, on 29 January 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

View PostThe Big Bat Theory, on 29 January 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Every player gets 50 games for their first suspension.  SP's only play every 5th game (or so) - so that means they would miss 10 starts or so, but they only start 30+ games in an entire season - the same proportion exists, regardless of bat vs. arm.

It's very premature, and as the RW blurb pointed out, every player would have the ability to appeal - so it's unlikely any news will come soon.   But, if this story gains more traction - then the 50-game spectre is going to drop Gio & Cruz's value down tremendously.   In some ways, it would be worse to have a long drawn-out process (unless it was so long it didn't involve the 2013 season - which seems doubtful, given MLB past history) - since a 50-game suspension later on involves stretch run, fantasy playoffs, etc.

It adds a ton of uncertainty if you are drafting soon - for those that are drafting in March or later, you can bet we'll find out if MLB wants to pursue this, and how seriously...

I feel like its worse fantasy wise to loose someone like Gio especially if he kept up his stats from last year. Loosing a melky type production isn't that terrible because he can be replaced by a waiver of that is on a hot streak. An ace pitcher putting up elite stats I feel like is much harder to replace
No Days Off

#14 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,016 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

HGH probably benefits pitchers more than anything.  It excellerates recovery time, and a lot of studies show the elbow and shoulder joints are the main areas that receive the quickest recovery time.  Outside of that it really isn't a performance enhancer.  That is why I don't call them performance enhancers, I call them recovery enablers.  Helps keep players bodies fresh.  Playing 162 games is a grind, players will always look for an edge.  I am not leery of any statistical downgrades from the players mentioned above, I am more worried that maybe there bodies aren't equipped to last a full season.  Don't let the media trick you into thinking without HGH these guys would be Mackey Sasser and Ryan Feierabend type talents.

Edited by Cmilne23, 29 January 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#15 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

View Postcowbell204, on 29 January 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Can ARod get his money back?

this post needs more love

Edited by jsp2014, 29 January 2013 - 11:40 AM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#16 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostCmilne23, on 29 January 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

HGH probably benefits pitchers more than anything.  It excellerates recovery time, and a lot of studies show the elbow and shoulder joints are the main areas that receive the quickest recovery time.  Outside of that it really isn't a performance enhancer.  That is why I don't call them performance enhancers, I call them recovery enablers.  Helps keep players bodies fresh.  Playing 162 games is a grind, players will always look for an edge.  I am not leery of any statistical downgrades from the players mentioned above, I am more worried that maybe there bodies aren't equipped to last a full season.  Don't let the media trick you into thinking without HGH these guys would be Mackey Sasser and Ryan Feierabend type talents.

Over the course of a full season having a player that is recovering quickly and feeling fresh every game vs a guy who is burnt out is a big difference. So therefore it is a performance enhancer. These guys will almost surely see downgrades in their year-end statistics.
10 team - H2H Daily
C - Salvador Perez
1B - Votto
2B - Ackley
SS - Tulo
3B - Plouffe
OF1 - Trout
OF2 - Beltran
OF3 - Rios
DH - Hosmer
Bench - R. Zimmerman, LaRoche, Prado, Grady Sizemore, Byrd, Yan Gomes, K. Morales
SP1 - Fernandez
SP2 - Cueto
SP3 - Teheran
SP4 - Salazar
SP5 - Kluber
SP6 - A. Wood
SP7 - Pineda
RP1 - Soria RP2 - KRod
Bench - H. Alvarez, T. Ross, T. Walker, Bradley, Colon, Elias, Volquez, Bedard, DiceK, L. Hawkins, Alex Meyer, Koehler

#17 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostCmilne23, on 29 January 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

• HGH promotes and increases the synthesis of new protein tissues, such as in muscle recovery or repair. This is the way new muscle is built.
  • Recent research suggests its involvement in the metabolism of body-fat and its conversion to energy sources. Tests were conducted in obese people and medical use in treating obesity was proven beyond a doubt. Pro's have used GH as a way of maintaining and increasing lean mass while dieting for years.
  • It improves the sleeping pattern, makes for less unintended awakenings and betters REM-stage sleep.
  • HGH produces more energy
  • It may improve sexual performance
  • It builds stronger bones
  • Improves the quality and duration of heart and kidneys
Those are the benefits of using HGH.  Now we will have to hear the media tell everyone that taking HGH makes guys like Willie Bloomquist have the ability to slug 50 HR's with a cycle of it.  Sigh.  

Damn this stuff sounds great, I need to get me some!

#18 SkinsNoles21

SkinsNoles21

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

A suspension for Gio seems unlikely:

http://misterirrelev...ed-clinic-miam/

UPDATE: As our esteemed colleague Jack Kogod points out, NONE of the ingredients in AminoRip are on the MLB’s banned substances list, nor is Zinc and MIC (Methionine, Inositol, Choline). We cross-checked them all against the banned list.
Weekly 12 Team 5x5 H2H Keeper
Bats:
C: Victor Martinez 1B: David Ortiz 2B: Brandon Phillips 3B: Miguel Cabrera (K) SS: JJ Hardy OF: Jayson Werth, Yoenis Cespedes (K), Hunter Pence Util: Curtis Granderson  DL: Carlos Gonzalez (K), Cameron Maybin
Arms:
SP: Matt Harvey (K), Adam Wainwright (K), Hiroki Kuroda, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Ivan Nova, Jhoulys Chacin, Matt Garza, John Lackey, Joe Kelly, Alex Wood  RP: Koji Uehara, Aroldis Chapman, Glen Perkins

Daily 12 Team 6x6 H2H Keeper
Bats:
C: Matt Wieters 1B: Billy Butler 2B: Brett Lawrie 3B: Miguel Cabrera (K) SS: Jose Reyes OF: Adam Jones (K), Yasiel Puig (K), Leonyis Martin Util: Aaron Hill, Shin Shoo Choo BN: Adam Laroche, Alex Rodriguez DL: Carlos Gonzalez (K)
Arms:
SP: Max Scherzer (K), Patrick Corbin, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Shelby Miller, Brandon Beachy, Jarrod Parker, Sonny Gray, Jeff Samardzija, RP: Aroldis Chapman, Mariano Rivera, Glen Perkins, Danny Farquhar DL: Bobby Parnell

#19 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

If you use. Have a great couple of  years. Get paid. Get famous

Then

There is no reason not to use.

Therefore

This crap will never end

#20 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostCmilne23, on 29 January 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

I never thought I'd see Mackey Sasser and Ryan Feierabend referenced in the same post.  You made the dream come true sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users