Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

2013 Breakout Hitters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
132 replies to this topic

#1 treyjuice

treyjuice

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

There is nothing like drafting a player who is about to have a breakout season. Either because he never got a chance to play everyday or he is just ready to take the next step from good to great these are the players that make fantasy championships.

Who are your bets to become a top hitter in 2013?

Here are a few of my favorites...

Anthony Rizzo: A sweet lefty stroke who has proven all he has to prove in AAA. Glimpses of a super star were seen last year in Chicago.

Pedro Alvarez: This post-hype sleeper has shown off some pure power and with a hole season of putting it together...well who knows

Logan Morrison: Broke onto the scene in 2011, character issues and injuries made last year a forgotten one. Will be bounce back strong and perhaps become a fantasy monster this year?

Brett Lawrie: Great physical tools, great lineup protection, maybe some maturity issues here but the guy can flat out play.

Jason Kipnis: Already proving to have plus power for a 2B, a little consistency will go a long way into turning this guy into a elite fantasy player.

Salvador Perez: This guy is a solid hitting catcher as he showed last year. A full season of AB's may make him a household name. Not to mention he is absolutely huge and his numbers last year stretched through a 162 game season would have been huge.

Mitch Moreland: Hopefully he plays against lefties, he has the ballpark and the lineup, a good value pick but can he become a yearly 30 HR threat?

Mike Moustakas: A nice step forward last year. He looks destined to be an elite fantasy player, the question is when will it come? Is he on the fast track or will it take him some time Ala Alex Gordon.

Allen Craig: The wrench stepped into Pujols old spot and didn't embarrass himself. Injuries are the key here because if he stays on the field he produces.

Jemile Weeks: Forgotten after a sparkling debut, he is going to hit atop an improved lineup and has blistering speed and bat skills. Jose Reyes playing 2B anyone?

Josh Rutledge: He make his playing time count in 2012 but will he hit a sophomore slump? A step forward turns this overachiever into a fantasy stud but will it come? More importantly will it come this year?

Desmond Jennings: Post hype sleeper alert. This guys has the speed and power but last year was kind of a lost one for Jennings. Has the tools to be a roto sensation, can he put it all together at such a young age?

I didn't get too much into numbers but rather just went off the top of my head on these guys. I certainly left it up to debate. Feel free to discuss your opinions and add some players to the list!

#2 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

some good ones but scott sizemore is going to take away from jemiles at bats. logan morrison.....everyones tired of waiting. mitch moreland......no.....the rest look good.

#3 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

I like Aoki... a little too much.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#4 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,627 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

I think Yonder Alonso is a post hype guy you've got to like. He had a nice string of games late last season when alot of owners stopped caring. Nice value here
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ

#5 Mexi1024

Mexi1024

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I still really think that Choo can emerge into the top 20 talk of players in that Cincinatti lineup and in that ball park.

#6 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Dayan Viciedo
Starling Marte
Brandon Belt

#7 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Nick Markakis long forgotten can be had for nearly nothing.

Jesus Montero this guy is the real deal. Post hype now.

Alcidies Escobar is Jose Reyes light.

#8 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Let's add Dexter Fowler too.

#9 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

I hope so. I think many of us have been calling for his breakout for years now. Last year we saw more of the glimpes of what he can do, on a more consistent basis. I'm buying him taking the next step this year.

Edited by MrMartyBarrett, 29 January 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#10 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

Eric Hosmer - sophomore slump puts him off-radar.

Logan Forsythe- 15 HR/15 SB potential with PETCO fences moved in.

Wilson Ramos- a forgotten man in DC. 20 HR potential catchers are in short supply.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#11 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,651 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Chris Parmalee
Logan Morrison - so I was driving around probably about a month ago and some guy on a Saturday was talking about baseball fantasy breakout guys on Sirius XM Fantasy, he was calling 30-90 for LoMo.
Cameron Maybin - I know I know...
Brandon Belt - the SB's intrigue me, this guy was 20-20 in minors, but worried about power in park and runs with that bottom 1/3rd.
Jesus Montero - I agree this guy has a shot to emerge as 20+ HR top 10 C.
Justin Maxwell - if he wins job makes good things happen when he makes contact (needs to improve that).
Also agree with Dayan Viciedo.

A couple 3B: I think Moustakas continues to progress, maybe goes 25+ HR 80RBI this year. I like Chisenhall in Cleveland to have the kind of year many thought he was gonna have last year.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#12 Mexi1024

Mexi1024

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

He showed so much improvement last year. In the SB% as well as the slugging %'s. If they had had Tulo and Cuddyer healthy all season Fowler's counting stats would have been much better. Somehow Fowler ends up no a sleeper list every season. This may be the last year he does. Assuming he stays in Colorado all year. The wildcard with him is if he gets traded away at some point during the season.

#13 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

Fowler is pretty damn solid in OBP leagues too
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#14 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

monerto.....maybe with morse in the lineup that can help him. catcher is deep this year.

#15 South Jersey Bombers

South Jersey Bombers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Paul Goldschmidt

Will Middlebrooks

Dominic Brown
Macann , Abreu , Altuve , Alverez , Tulo
Cespedes , Crisp , Granderson , Adams
Headley , Eaton , Lowrie , Castro
Darvish , Strasburg , Kazmir , Ventura , Quintana , Odorizzi , Lynn, Martinez , Cashner , Lirano
Holland , Mejia , Beniot

#16 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

edwin encarnacion. no justin playing.

#17 mlove8680

mlove8680

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

More of a 5th Outfielder/last couple rounds kinda guy. But I like Gerrardo Parra this season. Gibby said all 4 outfielders are gonna get 400-500 at bats and Kubel and Ross arent the healthiest guys, so there could be room for even more playing time. Seems like hes been around forever but is only 25. Entering his peak power years, could be this years Carlos Gomez.

12 Team PPR

QB- Kaepernick
RB- Martin
RB- Ellington
WR- Calvin
WR- Patterson
WR- Colston
TE- Ertz
Flex- Vereen
Bench- Brady, Hill, Cooks, Britt, Pitta

#18 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'd expect a nice year from:

Dayan Viciedo

Manny Machado

Eric Hosmer (bounce back?)

Andrelton Simmons (not as much)

#19 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I hope so. I think many of us have been calling for his breakout for years now. Last year we saw more of the glimpes of what he can do, on a more consistent basis. I'm buying him taking the next step this year.

Yeah. Also keep in mind that the 143 games he played last year was the most in his career. If he can get his 600 - 650 plate apperences I could easily see him being a 20/20 guy with close to a .300 average.

Edited by FouLLine, 30 January 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#20 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Willin Rosario. Without Tracy, he should play every day. Should hit 30 bombs and is a dark horse for 40. His power is legit and it also helps to have Coors.
Bring back Ray!