#1 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Have to get over laughing at bolded - just sounds wrong:

Alex Smith says he "loved" playing for new Browns OC Norval Turner during Turner's one-year stint as the 49ers' offensive overseer in 2006.
It's notable since the Browns are one of the team's Smith has been connected to ahead of his expected departure from San Francisco. A league source confirms to the Plain Dealer reuniting with Norv would "pique" Smith's interest. "Loved my time with Norv," Smith said. "He's a great play caller. I just remember he had a great feel for the game on gameday and a great feel for what the defense was doing, (very) QB friendly." At least based on the early hints and rumors, the Browns may top Smith's list of potential suitors.

I think it's the most interesting thing I've heard nonetheless. He'd have a decent O-Line and Richardson - could work out.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#2 cbe_88

cbe_88

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Smith will need to be in an offense where it's not all on him to win games, that's how he was successful in San Fran. And in CLE I could see a decent fit, T-Rich will only grow into one of the premier backs in the league, and behind a pretty good o-line Smith could be in position to succeed on his team.

Alex Smith can provide a complimentary passing game to a strong running game, and that's what he could do in CLE...he can't provide what an offense with pass-first aspirations is desiring.

#3 MrWannaBee

MrWannaBee

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Interests:Sports and Family

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Alex Smith says he "loved" playing for new Browns OC Norval Turner during Turner's one-year stint as the 49ers' offensive overseer in 2006.
It's notable since the Browns are one of the team's Smith has been connected to ahead of his expected departure from San Francisco. A league source confirms to the Plain Dealer reuniting with Norv would "pique" Smith's interest. "Loved my time with Norv," Smith said. "He's a great play caller. I just remember he had a great feel for the game on gameday and a great feel for what the defense was doing, (very) QB friendly." At least based on the early hints and rumors, the Browns may top Smith's list of potential suitors.

I think it's the most interesting thing I've heard nonetheless. He'd have a decent O-Line and Richardson - could work out.

The Browns already two QB's better than Smith.

#4 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

CLE has some pretty dang good speed at WR. I would be disappointed if they signed Smith. They need a QB with a big arm on that team.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***
Record: 3-4

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Julio Jones (2.09)
WR2: Roddy White
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Robbie Gould
Bench: Calvin Johnson (1.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, Carson Palmer, James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#5 pierceNKC

pierceNKC

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,985 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Per RW:

According to ESPN's Trent Dilfer, new Chiefs coach Andy Reid "courted" Alex Smith last offseason.
"There was a courtship last year, to a certain degree," Dilfer said. "I don't know a whole lot. I just know there was a courtship. It was not even an inside source, you know what I mean? It was just kind of the scuttle in the offseason." Dilfer and Smith are close friends from their days as teammates in 2006-07, and Smith was available on the 2012 free agent market for roughly a week before signing a three-year, $24 million deal to stay in San Francisco. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Chiefs were one of the teams already showing interest in Smith. The tea leaves suggest Kansas City is the early favorite to land Smith via trade, likely for a middle-round pick.

I'll puke if the Chiefs sign this rat.

Edited by pierceNKC, 31 January 2013 - 10:36 PM.

i'm in too many leagues.

#6 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

So Andy Reid (while he had Michael Vick) courted Alex Smith (while he was still the starting QB of the 49ers)

that makes no sense to me

#7 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:05 AM

Trent Dilfer: "I don't know a whole lot."

(Smith was a free agent, because he sucks, while the 9ers tried getting Manning - then lied about trying to lure Manning and re-signed Smith)

Synopsis: Vick gets hurt, 9ers wanted Peyton (or any excuse to not start Smith), Reid and Smith lose their jobs in same year, speculation.

#8 whiskeyriver

whiskeyriver

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,248 posts
  • Interests:Having been born in the bay area, and coming from a huge North Cali family, I am a lifetime Giants and 49ers fan.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

The Browns already two QB's better than Smith.

You're joking, right?
Little green ghouls, buddy!

#9 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

You're joking, right?

I think that Smith is only slightly better than both of them and thats ONLY because I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt in the offensive turnover he had in the first 7 years of his career. Harbs system was able to get Smith productive but we saw his ceiling if you ask me.

#10 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Alex Smith is not a good QB. He just isn't. He's not terrible, he's just not good either.

When your team makes the NFC Championship, let's you hit free agency, lets you visit other teams while they "explore their options", Miami doesn't want you, and you re-sign with a team that insantly benches you the second they have a legit excuse to, you aren't very good.

There is nothing he does exceptionally well. Nothing.

#11 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

To be fair his extrapolated stats for this year would've been; 3500-26-10. Smith can look decent with a good run game and good defense but I think once you take one of those things out he's very underwhelming. Then again, virtually every starting QB in the league would look decent with a good running game and good defense....except Sanchez.

Bench: Calvin Johnson (1.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, Carson Palmer, James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#12 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

To be fair his extrapolated stats for this year would've been; 3500-26-10. Smith can look decent with a good run game and good defense but I think once you take one of those things out he's very underwhelming. Then again, virtually every starting QB in the league would look decent with a good running game and good defense....except Sanchez.

2 afc championships under those conditions, but I'm glad you mentioned him because it shows a great d+great running game can still win in this "passing league".

smith is nothing more than a game manager, a more mobile trent dilfer. his own team knows it. everyone blames kyle williams for last years nfc championship loss ... go watch the game again and focus on alex smith - especially the 4th quarter. I'm a Giants fan and even I was embarrassed at how pathetic he was. 1 completion to a WR and absolutely terrible when it mattered most.

#13 Lebowski87

Lebowski87

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Alex Smith is not a good QB. He just isn't. He's not terrible, he's just not good either.

When your team makes the NFC Championship, let's you hit free agency, lets you visit other teams while they "explore their options", Miami doesn't want you, and you re-sign with a team that insantly benches you the second they have a legit excuse to, you aren't very good.

There is nothing he does exceptionally well. Nothing.

So he's not accurate? It's not like he wasn't one of the highest rated QB's this year. Nearly 70% completion, YPA was near 8. Pretty much all his picks came from one game. He needs to play in a decent environment and may be a game manager, but he's a damn good game manager.

He just doesn't have a high ceiling.

Also if anyone thinks Colt McCoy is anything more than a career backup, let alone better than Alex Smith, they've probably never watched a game of football. Weeden has a stronger arm but doesn't know how to use it yet. People just find any reason to hate Smith.
10 Team PPR League- Two Time Champ
QB- Foles
RB- Ball, Gerhart
WR- D Thomas, Nelson
TE- Gronk
Flex- Roddy White
K- Dawson
DEF- Jets
Bench- Cutler, R Jennings, F Jax, Heath Miller, T Williams.

#14 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

I said exceptionally well. I don't call a high completion percentage skewed by dumpoffs and a conservative offense impressive. in your defense of alex smith, even you call him a game manager - which is my point.

he's got decent mobility, he's got pretty good accuracy ... and thats it. a mediocre, at best, QB (aka game manager).

the only things he excels at are dumpoffs and not screwing up. If he was good, he would've drawn more interest when his own team (that was in the nfc championship) let him hit free agency. he re-signed when the market dried up and his own team couldn't find an upgrade.

because he's mediocre at playing quarterback.

he is better than colt mccoy.

#15 Pooskay

Pooskay

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

his deep ball sucks, which makes him a good candidate as a "west coast" system qb.

most likely a Chief next year.

#16 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

he'd make sense in KC ... dump offs to mccluster/charles ... could work well with Bowe [if he stays]

#17 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

he'd make sense in KC ... dump offs to mccluster/charles ... could work well with Bowe [if he stays]

I was thinking this as well. Reid has got the most out of his QBs in the past.

#18 CanadianSportsJunkie

CanadianSportsJunkie

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Alex Smith isn't a good QB, Jim Haraugh is a good coach. Alex Smith can be useful and I agree on the Chiefs but won't they pick a QB in draft???? Smith or Nassib I guess you can still pick up Smith for next year but after this year's rookie QB's...just throw the rookie out.

16Team Keeper League. Keep 10 no cost. Current 12 out of 16
R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB , AVG, OPS
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, QS, HLD

C- Jason Castro
1st- James Loney
2nd- Jedd Gyorko
3rd- Lonnie Chisenhall
SS- Jose Reyes
LF- Bryce Harper
CF- Mookie Betts
RF- Oscar Taveras
UTIL- Tori Hunter
Bench- Michael Cuddyer

SP- Masahrio Tanaka, Jacob DeGrom, Drew Hutchinson, Jimmy Nelson, Trevor Bauer, Jose Quintana, Jeremy Hellickson,, TJ House
RP- Ken Giles

NA - Matt Davidson,
DL-  Jurickson Profar, Prince Fielder, Kris Medlen

#19 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Smith is one of those QBs that's just good enough to get you beat.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#20 HashtagHeel

HashtagHeel

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Smith to the Chiefs is pretty much axed. Reid wants Foles, and he usually gets what he wants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users