Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Wily Peralta 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

#1 The King Maker

The King Maker

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Here's another deep sleeper that I really like this year.

Apparently the story (as I heard it while watching one of his games last year) was that the pitching staff noticed a hitch in his delivery when he was called up last year, fixed it, and gave him much better control over his stuff while in the majors. It seemed to work, as his control was better in the majors than in the minors last year.

He has a great fastball and a very good slider. He was excellent in his call up last year, but obviously screams small sample size. I read that the Brewers pretty much have penciled him into the rotation already, so there is opportunity.

To me, he's an interesting pick at the end of the draft. Someone who has high upside, but also a low floor. But if his new found control is sustainable, I think he could post an 8 K/9 and 3 BB/ 9 line, with a mid 3 ERA, as his upside.

What are everyone else's thoughts on him?

#2 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Here's another deep sleeper that I really like this year.

Apparently the story (as I heard it while watching one of his games last year) was that the pitching staff noticed a hitch in his delivery when he was called up last year, fixed it, and gave him much better control over his stuff while in the majors. It seemed to work, as his control was better in the majors than in the minors last year.

He has a great fastball and a very good slider. He was excellent in his call up last year, but obviously screams small sample size. I read that the Brewers pretty much have penciled him into the rotation already, so there is opportunity.

To me, he's an interesting pick at the end of the draft. Someone who has high upside, but also a low floor. But if his new found control is sustainable, I think he could post an 8 K/9 and 3 BB/ 9 line, with a mid 3 ERA, as his upside.

What are everyone else's thoughts on him?

I really like him as a sleeper as well. I think he will be the type of starter who will be inconsistent throughout the year (like an NL version of Morrow a few years ago with little less K's) but will have some huge games that showcase his talent.
No Days Off

#3 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

1.41 career minor league whip.........yuck. Seems to have some issues with free passes. Will probably rack up some K's though. Could see him being a sleeper but I'd want to see him show the ability to throw strikes before I wanted him on my team for this season. In keeper leagues he is a nice target.

#4 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Based on where he will likely go to drafts (probably undrafted or last round), he's worth a shot. He does have walk issues that can spike his whip and lead to bad innings. I see him having consistency issues, but also providing value.
Bring back Ray!

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Thornberg is one of their top prospects and a starting pitcher and seems on verge of being ready to join rotation, makes me somewhat nervous on Wily.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

Thornberg is one of their top prospects and a starting pitcher and seems on verge of being ready to join rotation, makes me somewhat nervous on Wily.

Thornburg is no threat to Wily. Narveson might bump him to AAA, but I don't think so. Peralta is higher wuality and more polished than Thornburg and Thornburg might end up in the BP.

#7 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Yeah Milwaukee is so deep with SPs right now. But Peralta seems to have some very high upside. Spring training will tell us a lot.

#8 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Could be a decent late round pick.
I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#9 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Gallardo, Estrada, Peralta, Fiers are all locks for the rotation. The only thing stopping Peralta from making it is injury. Thornburg is up for the 5 spot with Mark Rogers and Chris Narveson. got a bad feeling Narveson gets it, even though he's the least talented of the bunch.

#10 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,209 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

Gallardo, Estrada, Peralta, Fiers are all locks for the rotation. The only thing stopping Peralta from making it is injury. Thornburg is up for the 5 spot with Mark Rogers and Chris Narveson. got a bad feeling Narveson gets it, even though he's the least talented of the bunch.

This rotation screams mediocre. Other than Gallardo and Narveson (meh) no one has completed a 162 MLB season as a SP. Like the upside of Estrada more so than Peralta and Fiers but that's all it is at this point.

I think the BrewCrew battles is out with the Pirates for 3rd place ... both squads far back from the Reds and Cards.

#11 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

This rotation screams mediocre. Other than Gallardo and Narveson (meh) no one has completed a 162 MLB season as a SP. Like the upside of Estrada more so than Peralta and Fiers but that's all it is at this point.

I think the BrewCrew battles is out with the Pirates for 3rd place ... both squads far back from the Reds and Cards.

Agreed. A lot of people are high on Estrada, but I'm tempering my expectations with him. 2013/14 is really when the Brewers have a chance to contend I think. I think Fiers is more of a poor man's Shaun Marcum than anything else.

#12 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

They got alot guys who have high strikeout rates...But each of them have their obvious flaws. Estrada and Fiers have very Hit-table fastballs but good off-speed stuff So they need to have Plus control/command to be effective pitchers. That and these guys are not that young..

Peralta on the otherside, has that great fastball...but little control. Though I think Milwaukee with still be competitive this year. They were the NO 1 scoring offense in the NL last year. Don't think they make the playoffs, but they will hang around...

#13 octapuss

octapuss

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Im buying. I like his K rates.
16 Team Dynasty League /  Weekly Head 2 Head / 14 by 14 Roto

C-   Lucroy
1B - Gonzalez, Napoli, Adams
2B - Altuve
3B - Longoria
SS - Reyes, Owings
LF - Gordon
CF - Jennings, Martin
RF - Markikis

DL -

SP - Cobb, A. Sanchez, Salazar, Niese, Fister, Wheeler, Kennedy
RP - Street, Perkins, Wilson

Batting - 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, R, RBI, SB, HBP, IBB,   / (negative points)  K, GIDP, CS, E
Pitching - IP, W, SV, K, HD, CG, SO / (negative points) BB, HB, ER, L, BS, H, WP

#14 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Well, before last season began he was projected as a good #3 in the rotation by a fair amount of the prospect lists. Also, anyone who is worried about Wily losing his spot to Thornburg needs to remember that the Brewers gave Peralta a rotation spot over Thornburg late last season. The only reason Wily wasn't up as early as Thornburg is because his first half was pretty terrible in the minor, but he really turned it on in the second half. Whatever the Brewers fixed, it worked. I have an eye on him in my deep leagues.

Also, for the record I think Thornburg goes to the bullpen and his fastball is as straight as they can be.

#15 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

Whats his status now that they've signed Lohse? Nothing anywhere
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#16 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Whats his status now that they've signed Lohse? Nothing anywhere

Popular thinking is he'll be the one that loses out on the rotation.

#17 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

He'll start game 3 of the opening series

#18 TheWrightStuff

TheWrightStuff

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,457 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

on the day they signed lohse, i remember seeing this as a possibility, also...do you have a link? thanks
2013 CHAMP!- Field of Dreams (10 team, H2H, 5x5 [TB/OBP/R/SB/RBI...QS/W/K/ERA/WHIP]-No RP)

2014:
C-C.Santana (1B/3B), S.Vogt (1B/OF)
1B-F.Freeman, A.Craig (OF)
2B-N.Walker, J.Harrison (3B/OF)
3B- M.Machado, C.McGehee (1B)
SS- B.Zobrist (2B/OF), X.Bogaerts(3B)
OF-A.McCutchen, Y.Puig, J.Bautista (1B), S.Pearce (1B), M.Byrd, B.Revere

SP-Y.Darvish, G.Cole, J.Shields, C.Hamels, H.Iwakuma, AJ Burnett, H.Bailey,
J.Lackey,D.Hutchison, J.deGrom, C.Morton, J.Quintana, JA Happ, J.Kelly

N/A: N.Syndergaard

Let's go, Mets!

#19 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

on the day they signed lohse, i remember seeing this as a possibility, also...do you have a link? thanks

From 12 hours ago...

@BrewerNation
Kyle Lohse will start tomorrow for the #Brewers. Lines him up to start on April 2nd (reg season game 2) if he's deemed ready.

@BrewerNation 12h
If so, #Brewers likely to enter season w/12 P. Otherwise, 13 P + likely skip Lohse once + let first turn determine Fiers/Peralta staying up.

So, in short, we will know more after Lohse throws tomorrow. Peralta throws on Friday, so I suppose it's a holding pattern for now...
No one cares about my teams...

#20 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

http://www.jsonline..../200295071.html

"Lohse slides into the No. 2 spot, meaning Marco Estrada becomes the No. 3. That leaves Wily Peralta -- who manager Ron Roenicke has already said will start the third game of the season as Lohse looks to work into the rotation for the second series -- Chris Narveson and Fiers battling it out for the final two spots."