Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Jon Lester 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
253 replies to this topic

#1 TheFranchiseAce

TheFranchiseAce

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Didn't see a topic for him.

Was 2012 an outlier or a trend?

He could provide great value provided he returns to form.

#2 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Fwiw I have him at 3.80/1.25/6k's per start/13 W

In H2H I have him ranked between Haren and Kennedy

All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#3 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

His K rate is a concern.

2009: 26.7% 9.96
2010: 26.1% 9.74
2011: 22.8% 8.55
2012: 19.0% 7.28

He could be a nice value if he bounces back but I rarely target guys that have mediocre control and WHIP killing prospects. Lester is regularly over 3.0 BB/9 and his career WHIP is 1.31, which really aren't the kinds of numbers that point to an SP2 anymore. Lastly, the guy probably won't be the beneficiary of getting 7 runs of support per game anymore.

Edited by cymbaline, 31 January 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#4 Poppa Chubby 81

Poppa Chubby 81

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

4.82 was the highest he has had since 07'. From 08' to 11' you could pencil him in for 200 innings with 200 ks. Yes he has some rocky starts now and again but I think John Farrell coming back is going to help him out tremendously. He's a great SP3 if he can put last year behind him, I foresee a bounce back to form and will draft him with confidence. I advise you to do the same.

#5 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I agree with Poppa Chubby 81 about John Farrell. If Lester doesn't get it together with Farrell back with the Sox this season, I don't think he ever will.

#6 David.WReynolds

David.WReynolds
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Nothing from his numbers last year says, he can not bounce back. I also see that SP is filled with a abundance of quality arms and don't see why I would draft him to find out. I will not be looking to draft Jon Lester in 2013.

#7 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

League format determines his true fantasy value, H2H he can be a whip killer, roto, his numbers even out in the end proceed accordingly.
“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it". author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#8 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

I've seen enough times (Verlander, Greinke, Hamels, Shields, etc) were really solid players who start their career strong have a bad year or so and all the secondary metrics suggest they are declining but then they magically turn it around. That is the nature of pitchers. Guys like Lester and Ricky Romero I will target as a result of this.

#9 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,759 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Lester turned into just another guy who's outmatched in the AL East. I heard Clay Buccholz was his beta clone.

The fact a pitcher is in the AL East counts against him from the get-go. Then you see a guy like Lester get continually hammered by AL East competition = dime a dozen who has a name because he pitches in Boston.

He was solid for a couple years - I agree with DWR above that I don't see myself taking him with all the other proven talent out there.

Sabathia and Price are the only guys who are true aces in the AL East.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#10 Brewcrewfan

Brewcrewfan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

Granted it was years ago, but gotta wonder if the chemo treatments kinda derailed his career faster than normal.

#11 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

His velocity was down just a little bit last year from where it was in 09 and 10. There's been a lotta talk about messed up mechanics. I think it was that, plus things just messing with his head in boston. Good bet to bounce back.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson

RB/ Sproles

WR/ Edelman

FX/ Wright

FX/ Bradshaw

FX/ P Thomas

TE/ Kelce

DST/ Bengals

K/ Parkey

Bn/ Hill, Blue, M Austin, Charles, D Adams

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#12 craiggrebeck

craiggrebeck

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I think people are overvaluing the impact John Farrell is going to have. He sure did a fine job with Ricky Romero last year. After owning Lester all year in 2012, I don't have the stomach for '13.

#13 lightning1233

lightning1233

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think to be affective, he will have to find some MPH. I don't like the downward trend. I'm looking somewhere in the 3.75 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 175 Ks, 13-14 Ws. Nice low risk/high reward #3-4 if you have 2 front line studs. He is still only 29 years old.

#14 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

His velocity was down just a little bit last year from where it was in 09 and 10. There's been a lotta talk about messed up mechanics. I think it was that, plus things just messing with his head in boston. Good bet to bounce back.

Yup, I agree. Farrell will help him. Morrow did great when healthy, does Farrell get credit for that? Just because Romero went wrong doesn't mean he still can't handle pitchers well. I think there is a great chance that Farrell looks at old tapes and helps Lester fix whatever went wrong last year. Getting Valentine out in my mind will help the whole team regardless.

#15 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

I like Lester a lot for 2013. I think he'll be a great bargain.
www. drafttracker.net

#16 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Lester is a very interesting case this year. As cymbaline started to point out, there were a lot of recent trends that had me label him as a bust candidate even before last season started, which held very much true.

xFIP 09-12 (3.09, 3.18, 3.62, 3.82)
SIERA 09-12 (3.15, 3.25, 3.59, 3.94)
K% (26.7, 26.1, 22.8, 19.0)
FB Velocity 10-12 (93.5, 92.6, 92)
Contact% 09-12 (75.6, 76.5, 80.1, 80.4)

His SwStrk% on his cutter, what used to be his out pitch, also dropped significantly in the past 2 seaons, so he started to abandon it, leaving him only with a very below average fastball, and an average cutter and curve. He no longer has any plus pitches.

All that adds up to pretty much certain proof that he is never going to return to his ace/borderline-ace status.

HOWEVER, as you can see with his 3.82 xFIP and his 3.94 SIERA, he actually wasn't nearly as bad as his 4.78 ERA last year would suggest. This was caused by a BABIP that was slightly higher than his career average (.312 last year, career average is .301) but mostly by an absurdly low and unsustainable 67.6% strand rate, one of the worst in the MLB last season and a very obvious outlier when compared to his 74.8% career average.

This makes Lester a very interesting almost reverse-value pick, as he will have a short window of time in the draft when you can get value for him. Will he ever be what he was from 08-11 again? No. But he WILL be better than what he was last year, meaning you CAN get value out of him, ONLY if he starts to get drafted among the players he performed on par with last season. I wouldn't hate to have Lester on my team this upcoming season, but it would have to be at the perfect price

#17 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I think having Farrell as a coach will help motivate him. Clearly no one on the Sox wanted to play for Valentine. I just think he will try harder this year with the new coach.
No Days Off

#18 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I like Lester a lot for 2013. I think he'll be a great bargain.

Me too. I'm buying.

#19 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Lester is a very interesting case this year. As cymbaline started to point out, there were a lot of recent trends that had me label him as a bust candidate even before last season started, which held very much true.

xFIP 09-12 (3.09, 3.18, 3.62, 3.82)
SIERA 09-12 (3.15, 3.25, 3.59, 3.94)
K% (26.7, 26.1, 22.8, 19.0)
FB Velocity 10-12 (93.5, 92.6, 92)
Contact% 09-12 (75.6, 76.5, 80.1, 80.4)

His SwStrk% on his cutter, what used to be his out pitch, also dropped significantly in the past 2 seaons, so he started to abandon it, leaving him only with a very below average fastball, and an average cutter and curve. He no longer has any plus pitches.

All that adds up to pretty much certain proof that he is never going to return to his ace/borderline-ace status.

HOWEVER, as you can see with his 3.82 xFIP and his 3.94 SIERA, he actually wasn't nearly as bad as his 4.78 ERA last year would suggest. This was caused by a BABIP that was slightly higher than his career average (.312 last year, career average is .301) but mostly by an absurdly low and unsustainable 67.6% strand rate, one of the worst in the MLB last season and a very obvious outlier when compared to his 74.8% career average.

This makes Lester a very interesting almost reverse-value pick, as he will have a short window of time in the draft when you can get value for him. Will he ever be what he was from 08-11 again? No. But he WILL be better than what he was last year, meaning you CAN get value out of him, ONLY if he starts to get drafted among the players he performed on par with last season. I wouldn't hate to have Lester on my team this upcoming season, but it would have to be at the perfect price

Good post. I had him as a DND last year due to the trends you mentioned above. He's a guy who I will be watching in spring training to see where his velocity is at.

#20 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

ERA and xERA going up up up.

K's and GB% going down down down

I'll pass this year, thank you.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park