Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Norichika Aoki 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#1 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,970 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Norichika Aoki was the 30 year old rookie out of Japan. He had a solid season last year hitting .288 with 10 HRs and 30 SBs while proving to be a good glove in the outfield.

What really impressed me was how good Aoki got to close out the season. In his last 35 games he put up some impressive numbers.

.319 / .384 / .525 / .909 with 28 R, 19 RBI, 4 HR, and 11 SB. Over 150 games that would be a 17 HR 47 SB pace.

He seems to be going fairly late in drafts so he can be had a darn good value.

#2 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

yeah could be kind of a cheaper Pagan. or a poor man's 2008-2011 Victorino. I like players like this. he should stick in the first 2 spots if he hits, especially with Hart out awhile.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#3 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

this dude was great if you had a crappy spot to fill on your roster. always easier to get OFs on waiver wire then any other offensive position.

#4 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

this dude was great if you had a crappy spot to fill on your roster. always easier to get OFs on waiver wire then any other offensive position.

definitely agree. especially ones with solid SB contributions.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#5 David.WReynolds

David.WReynolds
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I don't see why we can not get a repeat performance of last year with the HR's, AVG & SB's. With the opportunity of him giving us a bit more across all three of those catagories in 2013.

#6 ulysses

ulysses

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

i recently looked at FanGraph's ranking of Aoki and it's pretty high. I didn't really hear this guys name last year so I was kind of surprised.

http://www.fangraphs...ranks-outfield/

#7 freevick

freevick

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

Stinking it up in spring. Now is the time to buy low

#8 clutchcityfan

clutchcityfan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

Stinking it up in spring. Now is the time to buy low

I haven't been following him, but that's great news. Aoki is an awesome late round pick.

#9 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

Don't know if you can buy low on him. Spring training is just spring training and Yahoo changed his O-Ranking from 150 up to 132 so he is rising in the rankings, not falling. He has moved ahead of the guy he is most compared to, Angel Pagan, at this point.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory, 19 March 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#10 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

Don't know if you can buy low on him. Spring training is just spring training and Yahoo changed his O-Ranking from 150 up to 132 so he is rising in the rankings, not falling. He has moved ahead of the guy he is most compared to, Angel Pagan, at this point.

I think ESPN leagues are the only league he is really low right now, but I'm still not really a fan of him. I don't think he hits 10 homers again because of his very high GB%.
No Days Off

#11 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,918 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Exactly I had Aoki on my draft list the other night and when it got to the spot where I was looking to jump I saw Pagan still avail. I passed on A-OK for the seemingly safer Pagan. He's not really a sleeper anymore.

#12 ulysses

ulysses

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

Exactly I had Aoki on my draft list the other night and when it got to the spot where I was looking to jump I saw Pagan still avail. I passed on A-OK for the seemingly safer Pagan. He's not really a sleeper anymore.

he went undrafted in my 12 team 23 round h2h roto draft. not a bad pick up, just not sure what his numbers project to be. 670.71

#13 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

he went undrafted in my 12 team 23 round h2h roto draft. not a bad pick up, just not sure what his numbers project to be. 670.71

Tough league

#14 ulysses

ulysses

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Tough league

yea its a redraft league in which everyone went prospect crazy at the end. I got Teheran in the last round!

#15 WestCoastMets

WestCoastMets

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

I would gladly trade Aoki for Pagan, but as I got Aoki in the 16th and Pagan went in the 11th, I feel like I got decent value.
Ill Communication - 12 Team H2H Keeper (3*) - $$$ - QB, 3WR, 2RB, TE, 2W/R/T, DEF, NO Kickers
1pt PPR, 6pts All TDs, 1pt per 10yds Rush/Rec, 1pt per 25yds Pass, 5pt Bonus @ 100, 150, 200yds Rush/Rec and 300, 350, 400yds Pass

QB - Tony Romo
WR - Dez Bryant*, Victor Cruz, Antonio Brown
RB - Reggie Bush*, Zac Stacy
TE - Rob Gronkowski
W/R/T - Lamar Miller, TY Hilton
DEF - Cowboys

BN - David Wilson, Lance Moore, Delanie Walker, Willis McGahee, Carson Palmer, Eagles D, Lions D, Falcons D

#16 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,853 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Aoki will start off in the leadoff spot. Where will he end up when Hart returns?
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#17 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Aoki will start off in the leadoff spot. Where will he end up when Hart returns?

Still lead off. Aoki is locked in to 1 or 2 unless he slumps hard.

#18 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

In the leadoff spot.

#19 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,853 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

I have really talked myself into being bullish on this character. He reminds me a lot of one of these Pagan, Dexter Fowler types. With Braun, Ramirez, Hart, Weeks and even Lucroy behind him he should thrive in the leadoff spot. I see a floor of .275-90runs-13 Hr-50 rbis-25 steals with a ceiling of .285-100runs-18hrs-60rbis-40 steals. He could be a cheaper version of Shin Soo-Choo should he reach his peak/ceiling. Thoughts?

Edited by Code of Hammurabi, 21 March 2013 - 09:04 AM.

EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#20 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

I have really talked myself into being bullish on this character. He reminds me a lot of one of these Pagan, Dexter Fowler types. With Braun, Ramirez, Hart, Weeks and even Lucroy behind him he should thrive in the leadoff spot. I see a floor of .275-90runs-13 Hr-50 rbis-25 steals with a ceiling of .285-100runs-18hrs-60rbis-40 steals. He could be a cheaper version of Shin Soo-Choo should he reach his peak/ceiling. Thoughts?

I took him at pick 130 in a 5 OF league, ahead of guys like Fowler and Pagan so I must agree with that floor/ceiling projection. Hes got some great bats behind and if/when Hart gets healthy that only improves.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"