320 replies to this topic

#1 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Lance Lynn was a K machine last year. He started the season off hot and then tappered off a bit in the 2nd half before closing the season out with a bang

But there are a lot of reasons to think Lynn will be improved upon last year.

He won't turn 26 until mid May. He had a .321 BABIP last year. As well as he finished the season very strong with a 2.76 ERA, 10.34 K/9, an da 1.13 WHIP in September to close out the regular season.

Lynn is going extremely late in drafts post 16th round. He even went as low as 214 in the most recent rotoworld mock draft.

Now he does come with the concern of breaking down. As he saw an increase in 66.33 inning increase last year. But I really don't think that will be a problem as in 2010 he threw 164 innings in The PCL. I think this concern only increases the value you can get on him.
  • mjb03003, yoda and FouLLine like this

#2 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Yea I think people forget how good he was last year. Not sure why he doesn't get talked about a little more than he does but I guess it may be that the Cardinals have yet to even name him their 5th starter.

#3 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Interests:most importantly, enjoying my 14 grandkids.

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

I see people taking a wait and see approach on whether he gets a starting spot or not. To me, that's a mistake, he makes a good speculative add for pennies on the dollar as of today. Later, he probably goes for market value.
Between Miller, Rosenthal and Lynn, the Cards are going to have a very solid core of young, high upside SP's, better to grab them now at a discount in keepers/dynasty leagues, might even reach a bit in re-drafts..
“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”   Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it".   author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#4 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I see people taking a wait and see approach on whether he gets a starting spot or not. To me, that's a mistake, he makes a good speculative add for pennies on the dollar as of today. Later, he probably goes for market value.
Between Miller, Rosenthal and Lynn, the Cards are going to have a very solid core of young, high upside SP's, better to grab them now at a discount in keepers/dynasty leagues, might even reach a bit in re-drafts..

Not to mention Carlos Martinez. If I were Mozeliak, I'd be shopping one or two of them around along with Jaime Garcia.
  • FISH ON likes this
I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#5 My Dinner With Andre

My Dinner With Andre

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

SwStrk% is a little low at 9.8%, but yea, he should provide good value for where he's being drafted.

#6 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:59 AM

SwStrk% is a little low at 9.8%, but yea, he should provide good value for where he's being drafted.

To go along with his low swing strike rate...his split stats are awful.

http://www.fangraphs...n=2012#advanced

I think his second half struggle might have something to do with teams putting a few more lefties in the lineup when he pitches (though I'm not positive on this, I did not go back and look).

He was better in 2011, though it was a small sample.

Here are his minor league split stats

http://mlsplits.driv...ayerinfo/458681
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#7 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

I think his second half struggle might have something to do with teams putting a few more lefties in the lineup when he pitches (though I'm not positive on this, I did not go back and look).

Not really..If you at his BABIP splits. He was .313 vs lefties and .328 vs Righties..

Yet his first Half babip was .298 and went up to .358. I don't think that had anything to do with loading up on lefties. As his Strikeout and Walk rates didn't move much from the first half to 2nd half... (a slight uptick in walk-rate)

Edited by Slatykamora, 04 February 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#8 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Lefties have a .384 OBP with a 53/69 K/BB

Righties have a .271 OBP with a 111/11 K/BB

Managers are going to load up their lineups with LH's just for Lynn.

Edited by Travis Burten, 04 February 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#9 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,800 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Not really..If you at his BABIP splits. He was .313 vs lefties and .328 vs Righties..

Yet his first Half babip was .298 and went up to .358. I don't think that had anything to do with loading up on lefties. As his Strikeout and Walk rates didn't move much from the first half to 2nd half... (a slight uptick in walk-rate)

Im sure loading up on lefties didn't help, but either way a .358 BABIP for a pitcher in a half is a pretty unlucky half.

#10 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Im sure loading up on lefties didn't help, but either way a .358 BABIP for a pitcher in a half is a pretty unlucky half.

It is pretty unlucky, I agree. And if teams did not load on lefties against him last year, teams are certainly going to take a look at his split stats and it could be a trend that starts this year. Even with that said, Lynn is still a good value for where he is being drafted.
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#11 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'm not big on him this year...I see a mid-4's ERA and a WHIP around 1.35....he'll still strike some guys out but I don't see him accumulating too many K's, don't think he'll throw enough innings for it.

#12 lassetjus

lassetjus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

Lance Lynn was a K machine last year. He started the season off hot and then tappered off a bit in the 2nd half before closing the season out with a bang

But there are a lot of reasons to think Lynn will be improved upon last year.

He won't turn 26 until mid May. He had a .321 BABIP last year. As well as he finished the season very strong with a 2.76 ERA, 10.34 K/9, an da 1.13 WHIP in September to close out the regular season.

Lynn is going extremely late in drafts post 16th round. He even went as low as 214 in the most recent rotoworld mock draft.

Now he does come with the concern of breaking down. As he saw an increase in 66.33 inning increase last year. But I really don't think that will be a problem as in 2010 he threw 164 innings in The PCL. I think this concern only increases the value you can get on him.

Shhhh.... I am targeting him late. I love how he tired in August, rested up, then dominated in September. Hopefully that August left a bad taste in people's mouths. Where else can you get 200K potential past the 16th round?
12-team H2H $$ Keeper League (4 Keepers From Round Taken, 3-Year Max Contract) (10th year in existence, 4-time Champion, 2-time Runner-Up)
Categories: 7 x 7 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K) x (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD, QS)

C-Travis d'Arnaud
1B-Freddie Freeman (4)
2B-Anthony Rendon
3B-Nolan Arenado
SS-Mookie Betts
LF-Corey Dickerson
CF-Yasiel Puig (16)
RF-Jorge Soler
UTIL-Brett Gardner

SP-Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner (3), Julio Teheran, Tanner Roark, Yordano Ventura, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, Yusmeiro Petit
RP-Aroldis Chapman, Trevor Rosenthal, Jenrry Mejia, Ken Giles, Luke Gregerson, Carlos Martinez

#13 Stanford410

Stanford410

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Lance Lynn said he has arrived at the Cardinals' spring training complex about 20 pounds lighter than he was in camp last year.
Lynn also gained weight during the season, so he's lost more than 20 pounds overall. The Cards asked the right-hander to get in better shape over the winter, and it's clear he took the advice to heart. "He's going to be much more athletic, definitely it's going to help him out with his stamina and in all phases of his game," pitching coach Derek Lilliquist said. Lynn's spot in the rotation was virtually guaranteed after Chris Carpenter's injury. Feb 8 - 12:26 PM

Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
SF Giants-UGA Dawgs-Pittsburgh Steelers

#14 papasmurf

papasmurf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

CBS Sports lists him as 250... now I dunno if that's beginning 2012 weight or what. Losing 40lbs is a lot... but if it means he's still around 215 that is not horrible

How is his velocity in the spring?

#15 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

All of this lost weight talk adds up to a player who gets it. He sees the unbelivable young talent behind him, and he wants to ensure he has a roster spot. That may seem like a simple thing, but far too many athletes get comfortable where they are. He obviously has the desire to do this the right way, and I find it hard not to root for players like that. I'm buying at his current price.

#16 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Like everyone said above, his splits are pretty bad. It will be interesting to see if he improves against lefties this year. I think he's worth drafting as one of your last starters - and after the first month or two see if he is improving against lefties. If he does, he will be a steal. If he doesn't you need to pick and choose his starts I think.
Sarge: Whats gonna happen is that you jerk off the ball, almost wanna let this guy here jam you, and if it comes it comes.

#17 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Not really sure why this guy is getting drafted so late, he had a bad June and a bad August, but his overall stats for the year were a lot better than many guys going before him, and Lynn is young on a team that will get him wins and a good ball park.

#18 jr11890

jr11890

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

This guy is one of the most interesting pitchers this year. I think he could go either way
16 Team H2H Non Points League Non Keeper
Positions:C 1B 2B 3B SS OF OF OF SP SP SP SP SP BN BN BN BN BN DL DL DL DL
Categories:R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB BB K'S AVG OBP IP W L CG SHO HR K'S ERA WHIP QS
C-Molina 1B-Freeman 2B-Carpenter 3B-Beltre SS-Boaegerts OF-Puig,Craig,Calhoun
SP-Kershaw,Cueto,Ventura,Burnett,Arietta,Odorizzi,Smyly
BN-Peralta,Crisp
DL-Holland,Victorino,Crawford,N.Walker

#19 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Striking out guys in ST but getting lit up too. Hoping we don't wish he stayed fat this season if he turns out to be a bust
12 team 5x5 H2H League

C - Lucroy
1st - V-Mart
2nd - Kipnis
SS - Castro
3rd - Aramis
OF - Trout, Choo, Bautisa
UTIL - Pujols, Panda, Lind
BENCH - Mesoraco, R. Davis, Baez

SP - Anibal, Shields, Iwakumi, Cashner, Samardzija, E. Santana, Hudson, McHugh, Worley
RP - Doolittle, Casilla, McGee

#20 Caelum

Caelum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Nice game against the Marlins today. Throwing strikes, announcers said his slider looks much sharper. 6 ip, 0 er, 2h, 5K. Showed the radar gun on the scoreboard for one fastball and it showed 93. Encouraging.
10-team mixed, 5x5

C: Montero, d'Arnoud
1B: Pujols; 2B: Alcantara; SS: H. Ramirez; 3B: Sandoval
MI: Wong; CI: Bautista
OF: Gomez, Springer, Holliday, L. Martin, Crisp
U: Ortiz
SP: Wainwright, Bumgarner, A. Wood, Beckett, Lackey, T. Ross
RP: Perkins, Melancon, Doolittle, Casilla
Bench: Buchholz, Duffy, Odorizzi, C. Johnson

C: Ramos, Mesoraco
1B: Goldschmidt; 2B: Carpenter; SS: Tulowitzki; 3B: Wright
MI: Wong; CI: Donaldson