60 replies to this topic

#1 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

My god did I just read that the Astros lineup made "drastic" improvements. There lineup sucks and is easily a bottom 3 worst in major league baseball.

I wouldn't say easily a bottom 3. But they aren't looking too sharp going into 2013.

Their competition I suppose would be The Cubs, Indians, Mets, and Seattle. I really think Seattle and The Mets lineups will take big strides forward this year though. Boston may have a pretty bad lineup this year too. But chances are they'll still be better than Houston.

My white sox have a shot at sucking hard at the dish too

What makes you say that? White Sox were 7th in runs and 10th in OPS. Sure AJ had his career year last year and is gone but Viciedo and Beckham should show good improvement.

If they do drop from where they were last year I don't think it'll be by much.

Edited by The Harsh, 02 February 2013 - 08:13 AM.
Split the group of posts into its own topic to allow for discussion at length.

#2 cyberer

cyberer

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Gordon beckham will improve- famous last words.
  • cymbaline, Posting In The Clutch and baltimore_boy like this

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 9
Gronk if you're Horny

3rd Place

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (backup Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Gronk (backup Cameron)

FLEX Ben Tate (backups sproles, denard robinson, taliaferro)

#3 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

I know Beckham has been a big disappointment thus far into his career. But he has steadily improved last year. More doubles, more HRs, more BBs, less Ks.

He has had low BABIPs. Put a .310 BABIP on his year last year and his triple slash goes (if all the extra hits are only singles) to .280/.337/.417, not great but more than serviceable.

#4 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

My god did I just read that the Astros lineup made "drastic" improvements. There lineup sucks and is easily a bottom 3 worst in major league baseball.

I wouldn't say easily a bottom 3. But they aren't looking too sharp going into 2013.

Their competition I suppose would be The Cubs, Indians, Mets, and Seattle. I really think Seattle and The Mets lineups will take big strides forward this year though. Boston may have a pretty bad lineup this year too. But chances are they'll still be better than Houston.

My white sox have a shot at sucking hard at the dish too

What makes you say that? White Sox were 7th in runs and 10th in OPS. Sure AJ had his career year last year and is gone but Viciedo and Beckham should show good improvement.

If they do drop from where they were last year I don't think it'll be by much.

Well I am worried about them. I do like Viciedo, and hope Konerko still has some life. Who knows with Dunn. they wont be terrible. They could either be solid, or below average. The White Sox will be tough to project.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#5 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Beckham did get engaged this off-season too, prob doesn't carry much weight IMO, (certainly did ZERO for Youk) but he has to know that this is the year it could be do or die in Chicago, or else he'll be looking for employment elsewhere in the near future. Gold-glove caliber for sure, but the stick...?

#6 motown magic

motown magic

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

I think the W/sox will have a better season than last year. Peavy will get better , Quintana should improve. I think Dunn has finally settled in and will get his BA up to a more respectable .250-.260 and hit his usual 38-40 hrs. Keppeninger was a nice addition. He hasn't hit much for power but now that he has a fulltime job at third base I see him hitting close to 20 hrs. He does hit for average and plays all over the place.
I don't see them being able to catch the Tigers and might have a little trouble holding off the Royals for second place.

#7 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Almost every spot in the CWS line up is a guy with upside who comes flat on his face.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#8 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

They have some bi polar hitters. I think the Dunn 2011 season will be etched in owners minds forever. You always wonder if he will revert back to that. Rios is inconsistent on a year to year basis. But I think De Aza is solid, Keppinger was a nice add, and then the guys at the bottom like Flowers, Vicideo, Alexei all have a skill set that could make them OK options. I think they will be top 15 in runs. Especially in that hitters park they play in, and the AL Central has some putrid staffs. Look at Cleveland, KC, Minnesota, it isn't pretty.

#9 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I know Beckham has been a big disappointment thus far into his career. But he has steadily improved last year. More doubles, more HRs, more BBs, less Ks.

He has had low BABIPs. Put a .310 BABIP on his year last year and his triple slash goes (if all the extra hits are only singles) to .280/.337/.417, not great but more than serviceable.

BABIP isn't entirely luck driven, and in this case there are statistical reasons that Beckham is a low BABIP player. This is largely attributable to very high IFFB% and a lot of weakly hit balls. Since he debuted, he's the 5th worst guy on pop up percentage. Only Barmes, CYoung, Wells and Damon are higher and most of those guys have missed a lot of games. Gordon is not abnormally fast like, say, Victorino who has twice the number of IF hits and can compensate more for his extreme popup tendencies.

Put it all together and Beckham isn't really likely to become a .310 BABIP guy. This isn't saying he won't or hasn't already improved but right now there are some gaping holes in his offensive game.

Edited by cymbaline, 02 February 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#10 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

BABIP isn't entirely luck driven, and in this case there are statistical reasons that Beckham is a low BABIP player. This is largely attributable to very high IFFB% and a lot of weakly hit balls. Since he debuted, he's the 5th worst guy on pop up percentage. Only Barmes, CYoung, Wells and Damon are higher and most of those guys have missed a lot of games. Gordon is not abnormally fast like, say, Victorino who has twice the number of IF hits and can compensate more for his extreme popup tendencies.

Put it all together and Beckham isn't really likely to become a .310 BABIP guy. This isn't saying he won't or hasn't already improved but right now there are some gaping holes in his offensive game.

There are a lot that goes into BABIP. Confidence has a lot to do with it in my opinion as well. When you're feeling fearless at the plate you can do a lot of damage. A new season another year older and more experienced anything could happen. Beckham could be one of those guys who wins you a Fantasy Championship if it ever just clicks for him.

I'm not saying that Beckham will be a .310 BABIP guy either, but .310 isn't unreasonable to ask for on average. Especially when the guy is young and was a great college player who shot through the minor leagues faster than Posey, Pedro Alvarez, Yonder Alonso, Justin Smoak, and Brett Wallace (2008 was a pretty damn good draft).

#11 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

There are a lot that goes into BABIP. Confidence has a lot to do with it in my opinion as well. When you're feeling fearless at the plate you can do a lot of damage. A new season another year older and more experienced anything could happen. Beckham could be one of those guys who wins you a Fantasy Championship if it ever just clicks for him.

I'm not saying that Beckham will be a .310 BABIP guy either, but .310 isn't unreasonable to ask for on average. Especially when the guy is young and was a great college player who shot through the minor leagues faster than Posey, Pedro Alvarez, Yonder Alonso, Justin Smoak, and Brett Wallace (2008 was a pretty damn good draft).

Considering Beckham is presently a popup machine with low probability of legging out grounders and getting wall-ball doubles, I'd suggest that .310 is asking a lot.

You can project the "what-if's" at a .310 BABIP but without digging deeper into why Beckham is consistently low on BABIP really doesn't add to your argument. Now, if he leveled out his swing or improved his O-Zone swing, then I might buy your .310 number.

Anyway, since this is not the Gordon Suckham thread, let's get back to the topic of the Chisox ...

#12 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,715 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I like Carlos Sanchez. He's not a shiny prospect and has no power whatsoever, but I think he'll be a solid middle infielder/utility man for the Sox down the road.

"...and woe betide fateful curiosity should it ever succeed in peering through a crack in the chamber of consciousness, out and down into the depths, and thus gain an intimation of the fact that humanity, in the indifference of its ignorance, rests on the pitiless, the greedy, the insatiable, the murderous."

-Nietzsche

#13 Indiana Bob

Indiana Bob

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

White Sox have a tough road. Tigers and KC should be tougher this year. Even the Indians look better and have made savvy moves in the off-season. On the good side, the new GM can't be any worse than the old GM who got kicked upstairs.

#14 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

So happy for Opening Day. I'll be at the game today cheering on my favorite team. I do have some concerns that Rios looked like crap this spring, Konerko should be hitting 3rd and not 5th. Praying that Sale's arm doesn't fall off w/ his uber-funky motion. It kinda stinks that the Sox are playing what seems like a disproportionate large number of home games this April, Lord knows Alexei usually never hits until the weather heats up. Should be an interesting year.

Edited by supac720, 01 April 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#15 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

So happy for Opening Day. I'll be at the game today cheering on my favorite team. I do have some concerns that Rios looked like crap this spring, Konerko should be hitting 3rd and not 5th. Praying that Sale's arm doesn't fall off w/ his uber-funky motion. It kinda stinks that the Sox are playing what seems like a disproportionate large number of home games this April, Lord knows Alexei usually never hits until the weather heats up. Should be an interesting year.

Not really, he was 5 for 19 in the WBC with 1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 SB, 5 BB, 3K's and a .926 OPS. Then in Spring Training he was 8 for 21 .381 average, 1.173 Ops........

#16 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,715 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

Any other Sox fans looking forward to seeing Buehrle shut us down tomorrow?

Can't believe KW chose Danks and Floyd over Buehrle. Disgraceful.

"...and woe betide fateful curiosity should it ever succeed in peering through a crack in the chamber of consciousness, out and down into the depths, and thus gain an intimation of the fact that humanity, in the indifference of its ignorance, rests on the pitiless, the greedy, the insatiable, the murderous."

-Nietzsche

#17 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Psyched I had Konerko on my bench this week... <_<
At least it looks like he's waking up.

Edited by Winky, 14 April 2013 - 06:17 PM.

This post is rated "G".

#18 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

Any other Sox fans looking forward to seeing Buehrle shut us down tomorrow?

Can't believe KW chose Danks and Floyd over Buehrle. Disgraceful.

Eh.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#19 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,715 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Not a big Buehrle fan, I take it.

My favorite pitcher of all time.

-Nietzsche

#20 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Not a big Buehrle fan, I take it.

My favorite pitcher of all time.

No don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorites too. But I understand opting for Danks and Floyd. Of course, if I could undo it I would.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser