Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Matt Wieters 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#1 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

saw this on the RW news page:

Rich Dubroff of CSN Baltimore believes that the Orioles will wait until next offseason to sign Matt Wieters to a long-term extension.

The Orioles avoided arbitration with Wieters by agreeing to a one-year, $5.5 million contract earlier this month, but executive VP Dan Duquette indicated that the organization has plans for a long-term deal. Coming off his second consecutive Gold Glove and a career-high 23 home runs in 2012, Wieters and agent Scott Boras will likely be seeking a contract similar to Joe Mauer's eight-year, $184 million extension with the Twins. Wieters was arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter and is under team control through 2015.

Wieters is a solid all around catcher but what has he ever done to warrant a "Mauer" sized contract? Leave it to Boras to go over the deep end.

I guess by his signing of a 1 year deal he'll be looking to have a huge 2013 in order to hit the jackpot.

#2 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Not even Mauer warranted a "Mauer" sized contract.

Wieters isn't in the same league. Mauer was a multiple time batting champ and MVP when he got the much-maligned deal. Wieters, well, he's a solid catcher and superb defensively but it would be a mistake for any club to consider giving him that kind of money.

Edited by cymbaline, 02 February 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#3 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

The O's need to sign him now before his value gets even higher. He already is one of the best defensive catchers in the league (probably 2 behind Yadier), but his offensive game should also continue to pick up. He put up 23 homers last year and his offensive game should keep developing. The O's should sign him to a long term deal now before his value gets too high. They can't afford to give him a Mauer type extension.
Bring back Ray!

#4 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

The O's need to sign him now before his value gets even higher. He already is one of the best defensive catchers in the league (probably 2 behind Yadier), but his offensive game should also continue to pick up. He put up 23 homers last year and his offensive game should keep developing. The O's should sign him to a long term deal now before his value gets too high. They can't afford to give him a Mauer type extension.

His average dropped 13 points last season and his OPS dropped as well. His 1100 career AB's with a .240 average and .700 OPS vs. right handed pitching leaves a lot to be desired.

Molina got 5 years 75 million and he is a far superior player than Wieters. Wieters should use that as his barometer and the Orioles should work down from there. I still wouldn't be that excited as an O's fan if they gave him between 12-15 million. But he is still young so maybe he finally figures things out. A lot of what you are paying him would be for "upside" because thus far the results have been blah.

#5 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

His average dropped 13 points last season and his OPS dropped as well. His 1100 career AB's with a .240 average and .700 OPS vs. right handed pitching leaves a lot to be desired.

Molina got 5 years 75 million and he is a far superior player than Wieters. Wieters should use that as his barometer and the Orioles should work down from there. I still wouldn't be that excited as an O's fan if they gave him between 12-15 million. But he is still young so maybe he finally figures things out. A lot of what you are paying him would be for "upside" because thus far the results have been blah.

He is a top defensive catcher. He doesn't get as much credit for the pitching turnaround last year, but he should. The O's rotation was supposed to be trash last year, but they turned out to be solid. Wieters though is still young. Even is his offensive game never fully develops like it should, if it just stays at the level it was last year to pair with his defense, then he is worth 12-15 million.
Bring back Ray!

#6 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,713 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Wieters is going to get paid big. Everyone loves Molina now, but remember that he was very poor offensively until two seasons ago. Molina slugged a putrid .342 in 2010. I'm not a fan of Wieters slow, looping swing, but he's already shown he's a great defensive catcher. And there's a ton of offensive potential there. There are a lot of catchers who come into their own offensively in their late 20s.

#7 Nicky Numbnuts

Nicky Numbnuts

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hi All, great forum you've got here. I like Wieters to finally, completely bust out this year. I project him for 79/30/93/3/.293. The ability to DH will allow him to be one of the most productive catchers in baseball.

#8 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hi All, great forum you've got here. I like Wieters to finally, completely bust out this year. I project him for 79/30/93/3/.293. The ability to DH will allow him to be one of the most productive catchers in baseball.

The O's don't appear to like using Wieters at DH. He started at C for 132 games. That gave Showalter 30 chances to start him at DH and he only appeared as the DH 9 times.

#9 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

The O's don't appear to like using Wieters at DH. He started at C for 132 games. That gave Showalter 30 chances to start him at DH and he only appeared as the DH 9 times.

He won't play DH often because they don't want to move him out from behind the plate, but the O's don't have a DH. Chris Davis is moving to first this year full time, so the DH will basically be a used by Showalter as a way to give people the day off. Since when Wieters can't play behind the plate, he is going to be the best option for the DH spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the DH for day games instead of sitting.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 02 February 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Bring back Ray!

#10 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I like Wieters a lot again this year because he won't be one of the top three catchers taken, he has 30 homer potential, and he has the upside to finish as the top catcher.
No Days Off

#11 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

He won't play DH often because they don't want to move him out from behind the plate, but the O's don't have a DH. Chris Davis is moving to first this year full time, so the DH will basically be a used by Showalter as a way to give people the day off. Since when Wieters can't play behind the plate, he is going to be the best option for the DH spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the DH for day games instead of sitting.

Where did you derive your prediction for a .293 avg ? In 3 full seasons in Baltimore he's hit .249, .262, and .249. His avg vs. righties has dropped each year in the league. Not seeing the 45 point rise in AVG as a possibility.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#12 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Where did you derive your prediction for a .293 avg ? In 3 full seasons in Baltimore he's hit .249, .262, and .249. His avg vs. righties has dropped each year in the league. Not seeing the 45 point rise in AVG as a possibility.

Something I want to throw out there. I know spring training stats are worthless. But Wieters hit .224 against righties last year. This year during spring training he's hitting .455 with 5 home runs in 33 AB's. He's only had 5 AB's against left handers. It's almost like the Orioles are purposely trying to make him hit against righties. If he indeed does figure out right handed pitching look out an AL MVP season might be on it's way.

#13 Zombies

Zombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Nice start to the season...Two run shot off Price...

#14 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Have him going in 2 Fanduels today. Wieters FTW!

#15 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Followed by a 13 pitch walk, looking like a great pick thus far.
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
C: Yan Gomes
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Dustin Pedroia
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Alex Rios
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Zack Greinke
SP: Jered Weaver
SP: Johnny Cueto
RP: Jason Grilli
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#16 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Followed by a 13 pitch walk, looking like a great pick thus far.

Great AB vs. Price.

#17 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

I didn't realize how big this guy is. 6'5" catcher!

#18 LIONS FAN-dsn

LIONS FAN-dsn

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

I didn't realize how big this guy is. 6'5" catcher!

He's a real manbeast, bellcow C!
Team 1: (12 Team PPR)
QB - Matt Stafford
RB - LeSean McCoy
RB - LeVeonBell
WR- Torrey Smith
WR- Golden Tate
TE - Kyle Rudolph
flex- Pierre Thomas
d/st- Bengals
K - Nick Folk

Bench: Ryan Mathews, Brandin Cooks, Khiry Robinson, Mike Evans, Colin Kaepernick

#19 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

2-2, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, R, BB I'm loving all the hype behind Rosario because I got Wieters for the same price at auction
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#20 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

First Oriole to hit a home run off of David Price

Edited by holyBrowns, 02 April 2013 - 04:08 PM.