Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Michael Saunders 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
145 replies to this topic

#1 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

He was real streaky last year and likely won't have mass mixed league appeal outside of streaming, but he finally showed signs of life last year. He could be an asset in deeper mixed leagues that require more than three outfielders and AL-Only Leagues.

I didn't really follow him too much last year, but I recently came across an article that said he re-worked his swing in the 2011-2012 off season.

http://seattletimes....8_brewer16.html (Just in case)

Now Saunders likely won't ever be an asset in average, but he moved his rates in the right direction. He cut his strikeout rate to 24% (down from 31.3% the previous, and 26.3% for his career) and increased his walk rate from the previous year, though still below his career.

Now it will be interesting to see how much better his strikeout rate will get as he gets more and more comfortable with his new swing. But I believe his walk rate will get better, he already posted a 10.7% rate in 2010 (though only 327 appearances) and he had strong rates coming up through the minors.

But even if he makes more improvements in both those areas, he likely won't be more than a .250 hitter in the bigs. But if you're looking at this and have any interest in Saunders, it will be because he has 20/20 potential.

But here's the question, will he see enough time in the field this year? While Gutierrez is no guarante to say healthy, I imagine that he will start in center, Morse in left and Saunders in right. But what are they going to do about Bay and Ibanez? Plus they also have Casper Wells.

So will Saunders see enough time in the field (assuming he at least hits close to last year to warrant it) to reach the 20/20 plateau...or something close to it?

Edited by PepperPot, 03 February 2013 - 02:11 AM.

14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#2 Primetime_21

Primetime_21

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

I dunno what the plan is for playing time, but you gotta say a lot of things are going in the right direction for him right now. As mentioned above his k% and B% are trending in the right direction, he just came off a near 20/20 season, He's going into his age 26 season, and he just played an incredible tournament for Canada... I think he batted over .700 in the three games and all in all just looked great... This guy is not getting a lot of hype which could make him a fantastic value this year....
12 team Roto (keep 7) 6x6 (OPS, QS)

C- McCann
1B - Goldschmidt
2B - Hill
3B - Machado
SS - Bogaerts
OF - Puig
OF - Kemp
OF - Jennings
OF - Aoki
UTIL - Mesoraco
BN - Seth Smith, Betts (NA)
DL - Harper
NA - Bryant

SP - Tanaka, Strasbourg, Gray, Ventura, Kluber, G. Richards
RP - Robertson, Doolittle, Frieri, Hawkins

#3 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

I dunno what the plan is for playing time, but you gotta say a lot of things are going in the right direction for him right now. As mentioned above his k% and B% are trending in the right direction, he just came off a near 20/20 season, He's going into his age 26 season, and he just played an incredible tournament for Canada... I think he batted over .700 in the three games and all in all just looked great... This guy is not getting a lot of hype which could make him a fantastic value this year....

As of right now, he is the starting Right Fielder. He looked locked in for the WBC. Perkins made him look somewhat bad, but I was impressed by Saunders. But it is a small sample size.

Starters

Bench

RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller

#4 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,794 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

He's never going to hit for a high .avg with a K rate - but his other progress other than BB rate (and cutting the K rate below 30 percent), was his extreme platoon split - he wasn't great, but he was OK vs. LHP in 2012. Given how they ate him for breakfast before 2012, that's as much to explain his surge as his improved eye (which is indeed a great sign of progression in young hitters).

If he continues those trends, he could be a nice power/speed combo, and not a total liability in .avg. On another team/home park, he'd be a huge breakout candidate, but his ceiling is limited in Safeco and on SEA. But, as it is he makes for a nice value pick.

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#5 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,976 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

He is a like a Drew Stubbs Jr. both have high K rates, Stubbs 2% higher over his career, both have very similiar walk rates, similiar power, but Stubbs has more speed. Saunders did lower his K rate but he still has a really long swing that will prevent him from ever being much of an average guy. Last years clip may be his peak. He is projected to hit near the bottom of Seattle's lineup though. As of now he will probably hit 7th or 8th which will severely hinder counting stats. But he should be near 20-20 again. He is a guy to keep an eye on, but I wouldn't want him as a starter on my fantasy team yet.

#6 uwguy98

uwguy98

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

Saunders had a career-high 21 SBs last year & stole his first two of the season last night. He is a very sneaky source of SBs batting first or second in that line-up.

#7 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

I love this guy as a potential breakout sleeper. 19HR/21SB in 503 ABs (maybe it was 507, but anyway), if he can get to 550 or 600 ABs in that revamped lineup, he's potentially a 25/25 guy with nearly 100 runs. The average probably won't be great but not horrible.

#8 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

Not much talk about this kid but seems to be leading off plenty. Does anyone know if he is in a strict platoon? Looking to fill my UTL slot with 20/20 potential and he is looking very interesting especially with the pop thats behind him.

#9 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

He's played more often than not, I don't think it's a platoon. I think he's a nice sleeper option, definitely 20/20 with 500+ ABs.

#10 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

He's played more often than not, I don't think it's a platoon. I think he's a nice sleeper option, definitely 20/20 with 500+ ABs.

He has started all but one game for them so far, I believe it was the first lefty that started against Seattle. And he's been batting lead off or second for the most part, so that does boost his run potential up, especially if guys like Guiterrez and Morse can stay healthy for the majority of the year.

And as I am writing this, he steals a base...good for him.

Starters

Bench

#11 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

Just got a lead-off single and SB according to Yahoo, nice start.

#12 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Been scoping him out since i got Morse and Morales on my squad. Think i am about to go scoop this kid up. Saw him play in the WBC and like what i saw.

#13 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

I picked him up yesterday. I noticed he didn't play yesterday. Is he going to play every day?
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#14 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

I picked him up yesterday. I noticed he didn't play yesterday. Is he going to play every day?

Seattle was facing a leftie yesterday so that could be the reason.
"There's nothing more interesting than your own rotisserie team and nothing less interesting than someone else's." - Daniel Okrent

"If you challenge the conventional wisdom, you will find ways to do things much better than they are currently done." - Bill James

#15 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

And he still ended up with two AB's. Once the righty was brought in from the pen Bay got the quick hook.

#16 mthdmn

mthdmn

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

dropped Bradley Jr. for him

first time watching him - he looks good
Yahoo Standard H2H $$$ League (12 Teams)

C Devin Mesoraco
1B Paul Goldschmidt, Matt Adams
2B Neil Walker, Martin Prado, Arismendy Alcantara
3B Manny Machado,
Ryan Zimmerman
SS Starlin Castro
OF Giancarlo Stanton,
Adam Jones, Khris Davis, Gregory Polanco, Joc Pederson
SP Adam Wainwright, Jordan Zimmerman, Garrett Richards, Matt Cain, Dillon Gee, Danny Duffy, Dallas Keuchel
RP Aroldis Chapman, Steve Cishek, Mark Melancon, Hector Rondon, Dellin Betances

#17 spyder23

spyder23

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

One of the most underrated players in fantasy. Wedge is a moron to not be running Saunders out there everyday.

#18 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Cheapest(and actually probable) 20-20 option. 5th place teams draft Starling Marte in hopes of a breakout. First place teams draft guys who put stats on the board 80+ picks later.

#19 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

He sits today? Facing Bedard.

Edited by Z06vette, 09 April 2013 - 11:32 AM.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#20 Oriole Way

Oriole Way

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Got hurt chasing down a fly ball and replaced, but I didn't see how it went down. Did anyone see it?