Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

AL Only League...which non-closer winds up with the most saves?McGee, Herrera, Frieri, Pestano or Doolittle?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 nittanychris

nittanychris

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

What do people think?

#2 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

View Postnittanychris, on 04 February 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

What do people think?

I'd rank them like this

1) Frieri
2) Pestano
3) Herrera
4) McGee/Doolittle

Frieri may start the year as the closer due to Madson not being able to start the year.  And Madson may struggle to start the year, just like Nathan did coming back from Tommy John.  Pestano has a real good chance of overtaking Perez due to struggles or a trade.

Outside of those two, it is iffy.  Herrera should be the setup man behind Holland, but they also have Crow.  Both McGee and Doolittle are currently third in the pecking lines for saves in their respective bull pens.
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#3 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Frieri and Pestano are the only real takeaways here..why is everyone all over Doolittle? I know Cook blew his chance but his overall season probably still gives him 1st crack at being the closer if an injury or trade happens to Balfour.

#4 nittanychris

nittanychris

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

I owned Cook last year and I like him but he did have some real control issues. I don't think Balfour holds down the job all year and Doolittle's stuff is just plain FILTHY. Also, take a close look at McGee's numbers last year. It clicked for him and who REALLY thinks Rodney can replicate his 2012 season?

#5 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

My vote is Pestano. I can't see Perez continuing to close with his underlying problems.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#6 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

Frieri is getting drafted ahead of Madson, so not sure he should even qualify for this list, but he'd get my vote.  However, the Indians are trying to get rid of Chris Perez, so I do like Pestano too, just not in the same range as Frieri.  Pestano probably a better value though, currently going 120 picks later.

#7 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

The site here makes it seem that Madson is the slam-dunk closer.  The most recent post made it sound like Frieri would just keep the spot warm for RM if Madson has to miss the first week of the season.  Conversely, Sporting News mag projects Frieri as the top AL closer this year!

My take on the situation: contrary to what this site says, Madson missing ANY time at the beginning of the year is a VERY big deal because it means Frieri will close that first week.  And we can assume that EF won't lose the job until he blows some games.

Funny, you have McGee on the list.  I drafted him as a sleeper closer last year.  With both Rodney and Farnsworth around, he has less chance to close this year.

Fantasy folks have been clamoring for the last two years for Chris Perez to be traded and Pestano named closer.  Hasn't happened yet, despite Perez badmouthing management.  

Agree with the posts about the A's.  I think the position in Oakland will be volatile, but Cook (whom I picked up on waivers; had Doolittle for a brief time too) will be the second choice, so we are probably not talking about more than a handful (one hand) of saves for Doolittle.

Besides Frieri, I guess the best option would be to hope that Perez finally gets traded mid-season and go with Pestano.

Edited by sunnyside, 07 February 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#8 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Another funny thing about Chris Perez (I like a guy who has the guts to mouth off to the boss): he is a far better closer than fantasy owners give him credit for.  Last year, he was great in the first half, had a couple of shaky saves in July, blew two saves in early August, and then smooth sailing until the end.  Even the great Mariano is shaky and blows some saves once in awhile.

Edited by sunnyside, 07 February 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#9 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

There are a lot of guys in the AL to like:

Sergio Santos was paid as a closer by the Jays coming off lights out 2011 with Sox, but it was announced yesterday that Janssen will open as closer but I could see that change anytime.
Pestano - mentioned
David Robertson - Mo is 43 years old coming off injury, nobody can see something happening here and Robertson getting the job?
Cook in Oakland
Jake McGee - had tremendous numbers last year, have some question whether he would actually be next in line, but he was very good and a guy I might roll the dice on this year in my 7 swing spot and give him a month and see what happens.
Josh Fields in Houston - was the 1st pick of this years Rule 5 Draft, a closer last year in the minors who was +20 K over Innings pitched and saved 12 games, former top 2 round pick.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#10 nittanychris

nittanychris

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Though Farnsworth is back, the way McGeen pitched last year I believe Tampa would go with him if or when Rodney comes back to earth.
I like Cook too but Doolittle is a deep sleeper given Cook's difficulty throwing strikes.
Nobody mentioned Herrera. To have his great control combined with the gas makes him extremely dangerous. Holland is good but far from a sure bet to last the entire season.
I LOVE Frieri and there is NO GUARANTEE Madson will even be ready week 2 given the surgery he had.
I also agree that Robertson is a nice target given Mo's age and major surgery. Even the immortal Mo is human.
Have always loved Pestano but I do agree with the previous poster that Perez is better than most people think and has enough to keep the job if he is not dealt. I'm guessing management may get sick of his act though.

#11 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

From the mocks I've seen, Herrera ain't so cheap.  Robertson might be a good pick (around 200th overall, AL only).  Parrothead mentioned next-in-line, and I'd check that out.  Isn't Joel Peralta also very capable in TB?  Parrothead also mentioned Fields: he would be a good speculative pick, as well as teammates Wright (have him around 220 in AL only) and Ambirx (?; may have spelled the name wrong, around 300 in AL only).