Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Jed Lowrie 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
344 replies to this topic

#1 GreenGold74

GreenGold74

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

Traded shortly ago to the A's for a trio of prospects. According to Beane he will not play exclusively at SS but play every IF position including 1B. I think everyone can agree he is a very useful player to own. Between his positional flexibility and the power he can bring to MI he's going to make any person waiting late for a MI or super utility happy. The question has and will likley all be tied to his health. Has never played a 100 games in a season and given the A's track record with keeping players on the field is not a sure bet to play the 120+ games to make him anything more than a late teen drafted player. But he's going to be given every opportunity to play a ton and the A's offense is certainly a few ticks above the Astros. I could see his average, runs and RBI's rising a bit this year with his power(assuming health) reach high teen to possibly 20 HR. I would have to look at his power index numbers to see if his power translates well in tougher pitching parks. But certainly a nice sleeper all of us should keep stashed in the back of our mind for this season.

Edited by GreenGold74, 04 February 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#2 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

I think he has the upside to be a decent option at SS, but I really don't think will even get to 120 games. This dude is never healthy
No Days Off

#3 Stanford410

Stanford410

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

will keep ss eligibility but is going to primarily play 2b or elsewhere. slight Power drop in O.co and he wont be hitting cleanup either. Kind of upsetting because if h. wasnt hurt and played in a hitters park he could hit 30 hr's.
SF Giants-UGA Dawgs-Pittsburgh Steelers

#4 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

will keep ss eligibility but is going to primarily play 2b or elsewhere. slight Power drop in O.co and he wont be hitting cleanup either. Kind of upsetting because if h. wasnt hurt and played in a hitters park he could hit 30 hr's.

I know he showed some power in 2010 but even after last year the dude only has 35 career homers. I just don't see him hitting 30 homers in a year even if healthy. Lets just say he does stay healthy and does hit 30 homers this year. Then isn't he basically JJ Hardy?
No Days Off

#5 South Jersey Bombers

South Jersey Bombers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

i am still curious about this move, and come draft day if im sitting in the late teen rounds and see him on the board i may take a gamble.
Macann , Abreu , Altuve , Alverez , Tulo
Cespedes , Crisp , Granderson , Adams
Headley , Eaton , Lowrie , Castro
Darvish , Strasburg , Kazmir , Ventura , Quintana , Odorizzi , Lynn, Martinez , Cashner , Lirano
Holland , Mejia , Beniot

#6 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

Greengold,

Yeah, Oakland is a better lineup than Houston, but Houston is a better place to hit. I think the A's got Lowrie to cover themselves if Nakajima does a Nishioka. If Nakajima does work out, they'll play Lowrie elsewhere. In that case, and let's assume Nakajima works out, I think Lowrie's value goes down. I think the values of the rest of Oakland's infielders also go gown. Carter's and Moss's values go up.

Ideally, for Oakland, I think, if everyone stays healthy and Nakajima works out, their best infield is Weeks at 2b, Nakajima at ss, Lowrie at third, and Sizemore as a supersub. Rightly so, I don't think the A's feel Donaldson, despite a little run last year, is an everyday player. I do think they have hope Weeks bounces back.

In my AL-only draft, I had Lowrie around 130 overall, but I dropped him to about 165. I have Weeks at around 230, Nakajima at about 240, and Sizemore about 300. Donaldson has become undraftable in a 12-tam AL.

#7 GreenGold74

GreenGold74

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

As far as park factors I agree. But I feel like protection and lack thereof over a season can reduce his output in other cats besides power. If we project him for 500+ ABs which I grant is a big IF given his health to this point I feel like his numbers would have a boost across the board. .270 average. 70-75 runs 17-19HR 75-80RBI. I think those numbers are doable for him

As far as usage I think he will be playing alot. He will be the right hand platoon at 1B for Moss for one. 2B is far from setttled. Sizemore is coming off being out of baseball for over a year now. Nakajima will go through the whole adjustment to MLB pitching and being in the US. Weeks from all I hear is likely to start the season in AAA. If anyone has watched A's games with Melvin he is in love with mixing and matching his lineup and utilizing players like Lowrie all over the field. Given Beane's love for Lowrie and his overpay he's going to get alot of AB's and be a big part of their infield plans.Lastly given all the depth of players in the IF they can plug in on a given day they will keep him as fresh as possilbe. He'll never be out there for over a week in a row in the lineup all season.

Edited by GreenGold74, 05 February 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#8 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Great deal for Houston. They bought low on some really high upside prospects.

#9 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

I was surprised by this deal too when they traded Peacock. I know he had a rough year in AAA last year, but he was one of the biggest pieces in that Gio trade. Now they have traded two of the prospects they got for Gio for veterans with not much upside.
No Days Off

#10 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

I was surprised by this deal too when they traded Peacock. I know he had a rough year in AAA last year, but he was one of the biggest pieces in that Gio trade. Now they have traded two of the prospects they got for Gio for veterans with not much upside.

But it gives them depth and versatility. Remember Oakland was the one who won the division last year not Texas or The Angels. Oakland is also a fairly young team especially when considering how well they did last year.

#11 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

But it gives them depth and versatility. Remember Oakland was the one who won the division last year not Texas or The Angels. Oakland is also a fairly young team especially when considering how well they did last year.

I'm not surprised Oakland made the move either, but I was just surprised to see beane actually trade two young arms while there were stkll prospecfs instead of groom them into good starters in the MLB and then trade them.
No Days Off

#12 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'm not surprised Oakland made the move either, but I was just surprised to see beane actually trade two young arms while there were stkll prospecfs instead of groom them into good starters in the MLB and then trade them.

Who knows maybe Peacock is damaged goods?

#13 Stanford410

Stanford410

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

I know he showed some power in 2010 but even after last year the dude only has 35 career homers. I just don't see him hitting 30 homers in a year even if healthy. Lets just say he does stay healthy and does hit 30 homers this year. Then isn't he basically JJ Hardy?

Thing is he was always projected to be a decent power hitter with a low average. And he is already a poor man's JJ Hardy because of injuries. If he could stay healthy, they would be side by side on the rankings and stats list.

#14 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Superstar,

Who was the other prospect from the Gio trade and for whom was he traded?

Edited by sunnyside, 05 February 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#15 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

I agree that this was a great trade for Houston. Carter has a very good chance to be a solid everyday player, and Lowrie is injury-prone - not to mention overrated. Parker, Milone, and Griffin worked out nicely for Oakland last year, so there is hope for Peacock too despite the rough year last year.

#16 sunnyside

sunnyside

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Tyler Greene. According to this site, he is slated to be the everyday ss in Houston. Surprisingly, checking out his stats (I play AL-only), he hit 11 homers and swiped 15 in 305 ABs last year. Not bad #'s at all. . . .

Edited by sunnyside, 05 February 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#17 Stanford410

Stanford410

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Tyler Greene. According to this site, he is slated to be the everyday ss in Houston. Surprisingly, checking out his stats (I play AL-only), he hit 11 homers and swiped 15 in 305 ABs last year. Not bad #'s at all. . . .

Yeah Greene is in Houston not Oakland , only thing Lowrie has to worry about is the shuffling of Sizemore, Nakajima etc.

#18 FouLLine

FouLLine

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

3B/SS eligible going super late in the draft. Could be a very nice late round grab.

#19 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'm not sure about Lowrie. That park could really take away his power. He should be in the lineup at some position every day and can probably be had late. If you're hurting for MI options, then he isn't a bad pick. Just not sure what kind of stats he'll be able to put up with the switch to a bigger park.
Bring back Ray!

#20 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

This is what leads me to believe Beane knows something about them that we don't. He is a great GM. I find it hard to believe he would make a trade like this unless he knows something.
Bring back Ray!