Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Chris Carpenter 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#1 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,047 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

With news that Carpenter is likely to miss the 2013 season (http://www.mlbtrader..._medium=twitter) the reports have Carpenter considering retirement now. If so its an end to a very good career recently frequently marred by injury. Clearly he had and still has the talent as hes shown when healthy but its getting harder and harder for him to remain that way. One of the few pitchers who's ever successfully come back from torn labrum surgery which is a testament in and of itself. If he decides not to retire I still think hes got good end game draft value, if he does hang it up it was a good career and Kyle Lohse might find a market!

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Chris Carpenter is considering retirement and is expected to address his future at a press conference on Tuesday.
Carpenter was limited to three regular season starts and three postseason starts last season following surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome, but he said last month that he was feeling good. It's possible that he has encountered a setback since. Losing Carpenter would be a big blow for the Cardinals, but they could turn to some of their young arms or reach out to free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse.

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#2 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Sad to see a guy like Carp go out like that. He's always been such a gamer.

#3 Jay85

Jay85

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

:( :( :( :( :(

I loved this guy and his pitching... Amazing Pitcher.

TEAM A - 10 team H2H - 6pt Td League - Record 6-2
QB - Andrew Luck WR - Mike Wallace, Brandon Marshall
RB - Jamaal Charles, Fred Jackson TE - Coby Fleener
W/T - Sammy Watkins W/R - JOnes Gray K - Justin Tucker DEF - Green Bay Packers 
BN - Mychal Rivera, Charles Sims, Knile Davis, Matt Asiata, Allen Hurns, Andrew Hawkins 

TEAM B - 12 Team H2H - 4pt Passing Td League - Record 4-4

QB - Jay Cutler WR - Odell Beckman Jr, Dez Bryant
RB - Jamaal Charles & Eddie Lacy TE - Mychal Rivera
W/T - Jones Gray  W/R - Isiah Crowell Jr  K - Matt Bryant  DEF - Kansas City/ St Louis

BN - Charles Sims, Martavis Bryant, Ronnie Hillman, Knile Davis, Andy Dalton 

#4 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

As a Cardinal fan, let me add a :(

But, I think that Shelby, Kelly, Rosenthal can handle the 4th and 5th spot if need be.

#5 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

As a Cardinal fan, let me add a :(

But, I think that Shelby, Kelly, Rosenthal can handle the 4th and 5th spot if need be.

Don't forget about Lance Lynn.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#6 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

FWIW, I think there are 12+ million reaons why Carp hasn't decided to retire (since he gets nothing if he retires). It sounds awful, because if it was just thoracic outlet syndrome, surgery is usually very successful the 1st time around. The fact he's had TJ & shoulder surgery, well, it makes you think this is it for him.

He was the one exception to the ages-old rule that labrum reconstruction is a death sentence to a MLB career (well, Jimmy Key was the other one, but that's literally 30+ years now). If he's indeed done, I tip my cap - given his injuries, a true throwback.

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#7 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

The ultimate professional. Gritty grinder who always gave it his all. I have always had the utmost respect for Carpenter. Sad to see him go out like this. The guy literally pitched his arm off and left it all out on the hill.

#8 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Last night, the Cardinals turned to prized youngsters Carlos Martinez and Seth Maness to shore up the team's bullpen, as the team continues to try to avoid going outside the organization for help. According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, however, a more established figure could be the key to maintaining a sound relief corps without giving up young talent. Former starter Chris Carpenter -- who said in March that he thought his career was over (Twitter link) -- is now looking to come back as a reliever. GM John Mozeliak says he is "candidly optimistic and excited about him contributing," and that a late June or early July return could be possible.

http://www.mlbtrader...-carpenter.html

I think this is something to watch, here. If Mujica falters, I can see Carpenter taking the job over ANY youngster in that bullpen.

#9 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 21,047 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Threw 70 pitches off the mound today, pain free. Maybe hes not done for after all?
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#10 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Would it be as a set up? Or possibly second in line behind Mujica instead of Rosenthal? I just can't picture him as a closer
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#11 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Reverse Wainwright plan. They wouldn't hand him the closer role but he won't have to do nearly as much as anyone else in that pen.
I play fantasy sports

#12 LosGringos

LosGringos

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports Chris Carpenter is conditioning himself to be a starter.

When it was initially revealed that Carpenter was going to attempt a comeback this season, the general assumption was that he would be aiming to join the St. Louis bullpen. But the veteran right-hander is stretching himself out in case a spot opens up in the Cardinals' starting rotation. The remarkable story continues.

This could be interesting. Just because of Carpenter's good track record on the mound, you almost have to pick him up if he does come back as a SP!

12-Team, PPR league (1QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1TE, 2Flex, 1K, 1Def)
2nd place, 7-2-0

QB- Matthew Stafford (DET)
WR- Calvin Johnson (DET)
WR- Demaryius Thomas (DEN)

RB- Denard Robinson (JAX)

RB- Jeremy Hill (CIN)
TE- Zach Ertz (PHI)

FLEX- Randall Cobb (GB)

FLEX- Sammy Watkins (BUF)

K- Dan Bailey (DAL)
DEF- Arizona

Bench- 
Dwayne Allen (IND), Knile Davis (KC), Joe Flacco (BAL)Michael Crabtree (SF), Charles Sims (TB), Boobie Dixon (BUF)

#13 jbrekel

jbrekel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Realizing that one setback could finish him but what is the best case scenerio for a comeback? After the AS break? Stretch run for the playoffs?

#14 Caelum

Caelum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Given his track record with injuries I'm sure they'll take it slow. Real slow. He came back too soon with this problem last year and he wasn't very effective -- got by on guts more than stuff. Plus, he hasn't had a spring training, and the Cardinals don't have a pressing rotation need if everyone's healthy.
10-team mixed, 5x5

C: Ramos, Mesoraco
1B: Vargas; 2B: Carpenter; SS: D. Santana; 3B: Donaldson
MI: Wong; CI: Uribe
OF: Crawford, Soler, Dickerson, Eaton, Pearce
U: Ortiz
SP: Cueto, Iwakuma, A. Wood, Pineda, Fiers, Carrasco
RP: Chapman, Storen, Doolittle, Britton
Bench: Inciarte, Betts, Marisnick, Petit, Lohse, Peavy

#15 bob_stephen198

bob_stephen198

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

CBS Sports' Scott Miller reports that the Cardinals are hoping that Chris Carpenter (shoulder, neck) is able to join the starting rotation in late June or early July.
Carpenter was originally considered unlikely to pitch this season due to a lingering nerve condition in his shoulder and neck. However, he has been encouraged by his throwing program and has suddenly progressed from an option for the bullpen to the starting rotation. The 38-year-old has already stretched himself out to 80 pitches and could begin facing live hitters next week if all goes well. The Cardinals aren't counting on anything, but his unexpected return would provide a major boost for a club which will likely be missing Jaime Garcia (shoulder) for a while. May 22 - 12:15 PM

Well this is interesting. If you were speculating on any potential bullpen value, you can speculate even harder now that he's aiming to be back in the rotation quite soon.
12 Team Keeper
C - B McCann; 1B - A Gonzalez, A Pujols; 2B - A Hill; 3B - D Wright; SS - E Andrus;
OF - J Ellsbury, W Myers, J Hamilton, G Sizemore
SP - M Latos, Z Grienke, J Lester, HJ Ryu, T Wood, T Lincecum, J Peavy, N Eovaldi, C Buchholz, M Minor (DL), D Holland (DL)
RP - R Soriano, H Street, J Veras, M Lindstrom

#16 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

With Garcia's injury, a spot has certainly opened up. Not sure without that there'd be room for Carp.

#17 Sine_cera

Sine_cera

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Chris Carpenter (shoulder, neck) did not feel good after his latest bullpen session so the Cardinals are backing him off his current throwing program.

Baseball and football are very different games. In a way, both of them are easy. Football is easy if you're crazy as hell. Baseball is easy if you've got patience. They'd both be easier for me if I were a little more crazy and a little more patient. ~ Bo Jackson

#18 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

Is anyone stashing Carp?
He threw live BP today, and appears to be working toward a re-had stint pretty soon.
In deeper leagues Carp is a better option than most WW pitchers... And if he does hit the re-hab soon I feel like he'll be added by a lot of people. Strike now?

This was the news from today.

Chris Carpenter (shoulder, neck) threw 40-plus pitches of live batting practice on Monday.
"It was a good first step," said Carpenter, who has been throwing bullpens for the past six weeks. "Basically, it was the same exact thing that we've done the last two times except we threw some hitters in there." Carp indicated that he likely has a couple more live BP sessions before he'll be ready for a rehab assignment. Matt Adams, who was one of the hitters standing in on the session, was impressed with how the righty looked. "He was treating it like he was pitching in a game. Everything had movement," Adams said. "His curveball was sharp, his changeup had good fade to it and his fastball would run -- and he cut a couple, too."

#19 Gumbo_Ghost

Gumbo_Ghost

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Any thoughts on stashing? Or am I being too big of a homer?

#20 rrich46

rrich46

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

I was thinking about it but dont have room....don't get your hopes up though...
10 team Auction Keeper H2H 6x6 (TB+L added) $260 budget
Keep 5 for last yr's price+$3, Defending Champ

(My team is good, i'm just too lazy to update it)