Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Yasmani Grandal 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
150 replies to this topic

#1 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Not much buzz on him but I drafted him last year and still feel just as confident in him as before. I still think he has absolute beast potential and the whole PED thing was just because he was getting worn down after a long season. His plate discipline is elite and he reminds me alot of V-Mart with the bat. Possible .300-20 guy in 2014 and should still be productive after he comes back from his suspension.

Thoughts?

#2 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Not much buzz on him but I drafted him last year and still feel just as confident in him as before. I still think he has absolute beast potential and the whole PED thing was just because he was getting worn down after a long season. His plate discipline is elite and he reminds me alot of V-Mart with the bat. Possible .300-20 guy in 2014 and should still be productive after he comes back from his suspension.

Thoughts?

Not sure if he is worth stashing unless you have a big bench. 50 games is a long time and he could very well be a shell of his former self.
www. drafttracker.net

#3 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Yeah, I had him down as a Mauer-lite in an OBP league. We will see how he looks post-PED
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#4 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

He was tested earlier in the year in the minors and he passed....got called up to the majors and thats when he got caught. A young catcher who's played so many games in 2012 gets his first shot at the majors but is incredibly worn down from the season but knows he has to perform to stay....decides to use PED to probably help him heal (I also remember he had some injuries later in the season as well) from injuries......

I'm trusting his minor league slashline of .300/.400/.500. He will be a BEAST.

#5 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

So, 50 game suspension aside, is this guy still dealing with tendon issues in his finger?

RW blurb from mid Feb.:
Yasmani Grandal revealed Sunday that he hasn't picked up a bat all winter due to two inflamed tendons in his left middle finger.
Grandal will hit for the first time on Monday. He admitted that he was "swinging one-handed from the left side" of the plate at the end of last season due to the injury. Grandal, of course, will serve a 50-game suspension at the start of the 2013 season due to a positive PED test, so he should have plenty of time to recover from the finger ailment. It's certainly worth monitoring, though. Source: Bill Center on Twitter Feb. 17 - 10:47 am et
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#6 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:41 AM

This is the latest item I could find. Sounds like he's doing fine, but this news is over a month old. Has anyone seen recent Padres ST games? Is he currently playing in games?

CBS Sports:

(2/26/2013) Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal was slowed in camp after dealing with two inflamed tendons on the middle finger of his left hand during the offseason. He showed no signs of the injury in Tuesday's Cactus League game against the Reds as he went 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored in the 7-5 win. Grandal has gone 2 for 4 (.500) with two RBI and a walk through two spring games. "I know I'm not going to catch too often, and I have to take advantage of the time I get," Grandal said. "I've been doing workouts, but nothing can simulate a game. That's especially true for a catcher. From an offensive standpoint, it was nice to drive a run home and continue to work on my timing."
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#7 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

When is this guy do back?

Could use the young potential stud C to stash

#8 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,528 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:24 AM

Late May I think...

#9 drisser

drisser

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

Any updates on him?

#10 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:42 PM

Any updates on him?

Still suspended. He'll be back for game 51.

#11 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

Mauer-lite?
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#12 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

Mauer-lite?

Ya, we'll see. Always skeptical now with guys coming off PEDs. See Melky Cabrera. He certainly looked pretty damn good last year, could be a top 5 fantasy catcher if he can put up similar numbers.

#13 Slatykamora

Slatykamora

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

Game 51: Tuesday May 28th

Barring any PPD until then.

Edited by Slatykamora, 04 May 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#14 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:03 AM

good to know thanks ... projections for the second half? i assume he'd start in the minors for a bit.

#15 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

Just be aware that Hundley is having a very good season at the plate. He may take more than 1 day a week away from Grandal if he continues to hit.

#16 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

Just be aware that Hundley is having a very good season at the plate. He may take more than 1 day a week away from Grandal if he continues to hit.

I agree, provided he's still hitting a month from now. Otherwise, Grandal's job to run with.

#17 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

i'm used to catchers only getting 4/5 days anyway ... could he really be mauer-lite?

he was dropped in my dynasty awhile ago ... instantly scooped him up.

#18 Morat

Morat

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Regarding the timing of his return, will he actually be back on the Padres May 28 or will he begin in the minors for a few days to get up to snuff?
"Give me a new ball...one you can see." - A.J. Pierzynski to umpire.

#19 Neymar

Neymar

Allstar

• Probationary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

Regarding the timing of his return, will he actually be back on the Padres May 28 or will he begin in the minors for a few days to get up to snuff?

I think he actually gets 5 days or so at the end of his suspension where he can appear in minor league games.

#20 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

I think he actually gets 5 days or so at the end of his suspension where he can appear in minor league games.

so he could (potentially) be starting right away? I assumed he'd start in the minors ... but if he can get a week in while still suspended he might be ready to go in a few weeks.

Should/could be a great option in OPS leagues right?