Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Baltimore Ravens 2013 Season Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

The Ravens run for Ray ended in New Orleans with a Super Bowl victory. Now that the season is over, Ozzie & Co. have a lot to do to fix the cap and bring players back. I saw before that they may be $20 million over the cap once they franchise Flacco. With Ray and (likely) Birk's retirements and players like Kruger, Ellerbe, McKinnie, Reed, Cary Williams, and Pitta as free agents, will this team look a lot different next year?
Bring back Ray!

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Starting on the road at the Steelers. Still don't fully understand why the Orioles wouldn't move it. That stadium will be empty that night anyway as long as the Ravens are playing.
Bring back Ray!

#3 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Ravens will be hard pressed to make the playoffs this year.
The boar runs from the tiger.
It is not cowardice. It is love of life.

#4 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

The Baltimore Marlins.

But at least they've got the guy from 28 Days Later.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#5 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

I don't think the Ravens really lost that much this offseason though. Kruger will bust in Cleveland without a dominant guy across from him rushing and Upshaw can step in for him. Ellerbe will hurt, but Ozzie doesn't overpay to keep talent there. There are plenty of corners to step in for Cary Williams. James Ihedigbo is basically Pollard, as neither cover well and both just like to hit. Reed's play has slipped recently too.

If they can sign Dumervil/Freeney and draft a MLB and safety early in the draft, I'm not sure they'll miss much of a beat.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 23 March 2013 - 08:35 AM.

Bring back Ray!

#6 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Five starters on defense and your clutch, safety-valve WR from the playoff run is not much?

Who replaces the leadership you lost in Lewis and Reed and the chemistry the overall defensive unit had with all the other guys?

I think the Ravens lost a ton...

What you still have going for you is the rest of your division is what it is.
This post is rated "G".

#7 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

Five starters on defense and your clutch, safety-valve WR from the playoff run is not much?

Who replaces the leadership you lost in Lewis and Reed and the chemistry the overall defensive unit had with all the other guys?

Not when they have replacements lined up for most of them. Upshaw for Kruger. Webb for Williams. Ihedigbo for Pollard. Jacoby for Boldin. Gradkowski for Birk. Draft players for Reed and Lewis/Ellerbe (they were one spot last year).

Suggs has always been a leader, and now Flacco and Ngata can step up. All they really lost this offseason was their depth, which they will restock in the draft and later stages of free agency, which is where Ozzie shines.
Bring back Ray!

#8 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Not when they have replacements lined up for most of them. Upshaw for Kruger. Webb for Williams. Ihedigbo for Pollard. Jacoby for Boldin. Gradkowski for Birk. Draft players for Reed and Lewis/Ellerbe (they were one spot last year).

Suggs has always been a leader, and now Flacco and Ngata can step up. All they really lost this offseason was their depth, which they will restock in the draft and later stages of free agency, which is where Ozzie shines.

There is a reason those guys are replacements......They aren't as good.

#9 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

They're called replacement because they are younger. Just as good and in some cases better (Upshaw, Webb, Gradkowski).
Bring back Ray!

#10 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

I see what you're saying. But if you think the Ravens team(mainly their defense) will have close to the same production, I don't know what to tell you.

They lost half their starting defense. And those weren't just scrubs either. Losing the guys they did hurt a lot and they will likely have to rely a lot more on Flacco this year. Which isn't who I would want to rely on.

$50 12 Team PPR, 8-1

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Ahmad Bradshaw

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon, Shane Vereen, Jeremy Hill, Travis Kelce, Martavis Bryant

#11 petekrum

petekrum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

They're called replacement because they are younger. Just as good and in some cases better (Upshaw, Webb, Gradkowski).

Really? So the Ravens kept younger, better players on the sideline? That's an interesting strategy. Better hope Flacco lives up to that contact, because that defense is gonna get torched.

#12 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

Really? So the Ravens kept younger, better players on the sideline? That's an interesting strategy. Better hope Flacco lives up to that contact, because that defense is gonna get torched.

They were young and being developed. The main point of this was that the Ravens didn't lose as mcuh as the media is making it out to be this offseason. They'll be fine next year and will make the playoffs again, just like they have every year with Harbaugh.
Bring back Ray!

#13 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

2013 AFC North Standings:
CIN 10-6
PIT 9-7
BAL 8-8
CLE 7-9

BAL played way above their talent level in 2012 and now they lost a bunch of it for 2013.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

Record: 4-7

QB: Big Ben
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Roddy White
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Dan Carpenter

Bench: PHI DST, Keenan Allen (3.06), , Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), Kenny Stills, Andy Dalton, KaDeem Carey (14.09), Nick Foles (8.09)James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#14 Vupacalypse

Vupacalypse

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Ravens will be fine if Flacco indeed has crossed over into elite status. But If Steelers draft a RB worth a damn, they won't win their division.

#15 Ribobizert

Ribobizert

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

Jacoby has always been a great return man, but depending on him to be a WR2 is risky at best. I know i am a little biased as a texans fan who saw Jones not even being able to be a viable WR3 with Dre demanding constant double teams. BTW i have no idea how he was so clutch for the ravens last yr being that he literally fumbled in big moments and lost us a few games. It's obvious he's a better player now and is older/mature, but speaking from someone that watched him a lot in the past, i would temper my expectations to fill boldins shoes- he isn't on Anquan's level

i find it hard to believe that a great GM like ozzie allowed flacco to be the highest paid player. Joe definitely earned big money but that kind of money is just crazzzy. I'm not even saying that based on flacco's talent, im just saying to pay a QB in a run first offense that cash is a miss-allocation of cap space. all the other big contract elite QBs are in pass heavy attacks and have proven they don't need a good run game to succeed.

I know reed and rayray were shadows of their former greatness, but they are both sure bet HOF players that will be there for not only stats but the great leadership they provided for all those yrs. I think ozzie made good calls in not overpaying for guys and letting them walk. but it is highly unlikely they will be winning games next season because of their defensive play.

Edited by Ribobizert, 24 March 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#16 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,702 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Ravens agreed to terms with DE/OLB Elvis Dumervil, formerly of the Broncos, on a five-year contract worth up to $35 million.

In comes Dumervil. The Ravens upgrade on Kruger and spend less money than him, and this should also let them bump Upshaw to his better position inside.
Bring back Ray!

#17 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Ravens front 7 is nasty now. Suggs & Dumervil off the edge will not be contained.

I think their main need is replacing boldin. I know Pitta is ill as a chain over , but they need a WR2 to complement Torrey's speed. Obviously Lewis & Reed were great leaders & teachers, but now it's Suggs & Ngata's turn.

Nobody has a better NFL program than the Ravens. They teach, coach, & build their young players better than anyone. As long as they have their same owner, GM, & coach; the ravens will never go away.