765 replies to this topic

#1 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

they were saying he might have shoulder soreness. was shutdown at the end of the season. can he continue to do what he does exact.

Edited by ballfan4141, 08 February 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#2 Jay85

Jay85

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

All I know he will be good this year because i see Philly bats coming back to alive this year.
TEAM A - 10 team H2H - 6pt Td League
QB - Andrew Luck  WR -Demaryius Thomas, Brandon Marshall
RB - Zac Stacy & Toby Gerhart  TE - Kyle Rudolph
W/T - Michael Floyd  W/R - Trent Richardson  K - Steven Hauschka  DEF - New England
BN -  Jay Cutler, Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Fred Jackson, Bernard Pierce, Benny Cunningham

#3 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,740 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hamels is a damn good pitcher.  But where he goes in drafts I don't like it at all.  He is going not too many picks after the Felix, Price, Lee tier  I feel the same about Hamels as I do Lee.  I'd rather go with a hitter at that point.  Felix and Price late 3rd early 4th I may go for them depending on the league settings, draft path, and my team makeup.  

But I'm not excited about a 4th round - 5th round pitcher when I think there will be guys going in the 7th and later who will be almost as good.

#4 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostFouLLine, on 08 February 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Hamels is a damn good pitcher.  But where he goes in drafts I don't like it at all.  He is going not too many picks after the Felix, Price, Lee tier  I feel the same about Hamels as I do Lee.  I'd rather go with a hitter at that point.  Felix and Price late 3rd early 4th I may go for them depending on the league settings, draft path, and my team makeup.  

But I'm not excited about a 4th round - 5th round pitcher when I think there will be guys going in the 7th and later who will be almost as good.

yeah I agree.

#5 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

hamels' consistency is very difficult to find in a pitcher. even harder to find in a 29 year old pitcher. his fastball hasn't declined, his swinging strike% went up last year as well as getting hitters to swing out of the zone more often.

he's verlander minus 30k's, with a slight uptick in ratios, but three to four rounds later.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#6 NYSportsfan24

NYSportsfan24

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostJay85, on 08 February 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

All I know he will be good this year because i see Philly bats coming back to alive this year.

Hamels is good. Philly bats coming alive must have been a joke. LOL!

#7 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hey man, they signed Delmon Young and traded for Michael Young. That offense is going to dominate
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B, LF)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Joe Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System:  Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#8 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Philly's offense isn't going to be any better. If anything, their defense will be worse. If you don't believe me, then just wait until you see Delmon Young running around LF. DH's play DH for a reason.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 08 February 2013 - 11:08 PM.

Bring back Ray!

#9 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

As a Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels owner, I'm just glad Delmon Young will be in RF and not LF

At least, I hope hes' in RF. That's where he's lifted on the Phillies website

Edited by Blood Brother, 08 February 2013 - 11:46 PM.

16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B, LF)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Farm System:  Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#10 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,740 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

View PostBlood Brother, on 08 February 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

As a Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels owner, I'm just glad Delmon Young will be in RF and not LF

Generally the better fielder plays in RF.  The Majors isn't like highschool ball.  At the major league level there are almost as many left handed bats and far more players who know how to go the other way that RF and LF get similar action.  But RF has to play the slice off of right handers which is harder as well as RF requires a better arm (throw to third).  Notice how when 3B's get up to the majors the first spot they try them out in the OF is LF, not RF.  Like  Braun, Gamel, Viciedo, Soriano (2B to LF), etc.

Delmon Young isn't a known wizard with the leather.

Also I want to say that Soriano as bad as he was for the longest time in LF had only 1 error last year and 12 assists.  The guy played huge D and got snubbed for a gold glove because of his reputation.  Carlos Gonzalez won it purely out of reputation.  The gold glove is always a reputation thing once you win one you are bound to win 5+.  Sometimes it seems like they just give it to the more popular player.

#11 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

I remember Shaun Marcum had a "stiff shoulder" at the beginning of spring training his first year in Milwaukee, but he threw the most innings of his injury plagued career. Obviously one small example, but shoulder soreness isn't a death sentence and Hamels has shown to be very durable. I've owned Hamels 3 straight years and thoroughly enjoyed his consistency. However, I just have a gut feeling he gets hurt this year and doesn't live up to his current adp as the #7 overall pitcher. If he stays healthy you have an ace regardless of the team around him (wins can be fluky, Hamels averaged 12 per year for a 3 year stretch before last years 17), but I just get the feeling he hits the dl this year.

#12 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

View PostFouLLine, on 09 February 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

View PostBlood Brother, on 08 February 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

Generally the better fielder plays in RF.  The Majors isn't like highschool ball.  At the major league level there are almost as many left handed bats and far more players who know how to go the other way that RF and LF get similar action.  But RF has to play the slice off of right handers which is harder as well as RF requires a better arm (throw to third).  Notice how when 3B's get up to the majors the first spot they try them out in the OF is LF, not RF.  Like  Braun, Gamel, Viciedo, Soriano (2B to LF), etc.

Delmon Young isn't a known wizard with the leather.

Also I want to say that Soriano as bad as he was for the longest time in LF had only 1 error last year and 12 assists.  The guy played huge D and got snubbed for a gold glove because of his reputation.  Carlos Gonzalez won it purely out of reputation.  The gold glove is always a reputation thing once you win one you are bound to win 5+.  Sometimes it seems like they just give it to the more popular player.

GG is such a joke. It's a shame to, it used to mean something, but I can't look at the award as anything these days. As you said, Name recognition/past success + offensive performance is too heavily based in this award that's supposed to be reward DEFENSIVE PLAY only

Edited by Blood Brother, 09 February 2013 - 04:04 AM.

Hitters:

#13 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,285 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

For what it's worth hamels was regarded as frail as a prospect, often missing time with various ailments (back mostly, if memory serves). He has been durable in the MLB thus far, but I just wanted to say that he hasn't always been regarded as a halladay-esque tank.
SIG UPDATED TO 9/1/2014!

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Michael Crabtree (backups Kelvin Benjamin and Steve Smith)
RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Shane Vereen
TE Jason Witten (backup Kelce)
FLEX Ben Tate (backup RB benny cunningham, roy helu)

#14 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

This is fantastic insight. Cole Hamels will be good at pitching because his teammates will be good at hitting.

#15 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostiAugust, on 10 February 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

This is fantastic insight. Cole Hamels will be good at pitching because his teammates will be good at hitting.

Could work as Hamels should get more rest between half innings while his teammates are scoring so many more runs. :)

Bad part of that is the defense is going to suck.

#16 Obscene_Domino

Obscene_Domino

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Looked fantastic over 3 innings against the Tigers main lineup today. Only went through it once. Apparently they took him out to save him for Opening Day, apparently..
14 team H2H .5 PPR Auction
#Down With VEMMA

10 team H2H Draft

#17 Tchaikovsky08

Tchaikovsky08

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostObscene_Domino, on 27 March 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Looked fantastic over 3 innings against the Tigers main lineup today. Only went through it once. Apparently they took him out to save him for Opening Day, apparently..

Good to hear.  Aside from that albatross minor league game, he's been excellent this spring.  Looking forward to big things (potential Cy Young) this year.

#18 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hamels has his HR pitch going for him today

Hitters:

#19 hunjeebakala

hunjeebakala

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

brutal, im selling after he plays the padres or something.

#20 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Needs to throw more off speed pitches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users