Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Adam Wainwright 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
406 replies to this topic

#1 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,487 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

He's being drafted as though he could anchor a staff (early-mid 5th rd). Any lingering concerns with him? He was solid last year but not his dominant self. Arrow pointing up or down 2nd yr back from TJ?
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#2 jaymaynard

jaymaynard

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Love him this year. He actually had a virtually identical season to the one he had 2 years before last year. The only difference was he was a little unlucky in terms of strand rate and BABIP. I'd take him in the 5th every time

#3 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I LOVE him this year and all though he won't be coming at a big discount (drafted as the #12 sp right now), I think he is more than worth it. I hope to have him as the ace of my staff. His 2nd half (7-5, 3.28 era, 1.14 whip, 86 k's in 96 innings) are pretty close to what you'd look for in a low end sp1/ high end sp2. It stinks that he loses the Astros whom he went 3-0 with a 1.66 era against, but he should still be a borderline ace as he progresses further away from his surgery.

#4 cyberer

cyberer

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:40 AM

Yeah, his peripherals were unchanged in 2012 from his 2009-2010 norms.

However, I hesitate to say that he got "unlucky" with his high BABIP and HR rates. He wasn't pitching as well in terms of having a feel for his stuff in key situations. People were making harder contact and better contact. Not all hits are created equal.

That said, he had a fantastic 2nd half and as I said his peripherals said that he is pretty close to being the same pitcher. Another year of recovery = giddy up.

He is still probably a better SP2 than an "anchor."

Edited by cyberer, 10 February 2013 - 12:40 AM.

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 9
Gronk if you're Horny

3rd Place

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (backup Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Gronk (backup Cameron)

FLEX Ben Tate (backups sproles, denard robinson, taliaferro)

#5 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

I really like Waino to bounce back to form this year now that he is going to be 2 years removed from surgery. If I remember correctly, he suffered from bad defense last year. I remember seeing the lineup almost every time he pitched and it having Beltran in CF over Jay.
Bring back Ray!

#6 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,487 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

I agree - but I rarely take a pitcher before the 4th-5th rd, so for those with that draft strategy he's a potential staff "ace". He's usually sitting in the same tier with MadBum, Sabathia, Dickey, Gio - some decent choices. If you're looking for one of these guys to be a #1, you want reasonable assurance they'll be healthy. Wainwright's recent TJ is one way to distinguish him from those other pitchers. Sabbathia's mileage and recent decline is a red flag as well.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#7 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

he was an ace in may, july and august. the other months not so much.

#8 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

He was solid last year but not his dominant self.

As others have mentioned, I don't think this is quite the case at all. Some numbers to back it up:

2009 - 3.11 FIP, 3.32 xFIP, 21.9 K%, 6.8 BB%, .66 HR/9
2010 - 2.86 FIP, 3.02 xFIP, 23.4 K%, 6.2 BB%, .59 HR/9
2012 -3.10 FIP, 3.23 xFIP, 22.1 K%, 6.3 BB%, .68 HR/9
Career-3.31 FIP, 3.57 xFIP, 20.4 K%, 6.8 BB%, .66 HR/9

Bad luck that resulted in a career-high .315 BABIP and, an absurdly low and unsustainable strand rate (67.8% compared to his career 75.2%) and -- as someone who owned Waino and watched a lot of his games last year -- a ton of bad defense on his starts are what inflated his ERA. Not to mention the fact that he had an awful first half and still put up these numbers. His ERA was 3.28 after the All-Star Break.

I've got him ranked as my #12 SP, right behind Sabathia and Hamels and right in front of Bumgarner and Gio

Edited by iAugust, 25 February 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#9 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,906 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, his peripherals were unchanged in 2012 from his 2009-2010 norms.

However, I hesitate to say that he got "unlucky" with his high BABIP and HR rates. He wasn't pitching as well in terms of having a feel for his stuff in key situations. People were making harder contact and better contact. Not all hits are created equal.

That said, he had a fantastic 2nd half and as I said his peripherals said that he is pretty close to being the same pitcher. Another year of recovery = giddy up.

Yep, but command is the last thing to come back following-TJ so I wrote it off as him knocking off he rust.

#10 Obscene_Domino

Obscene_Domino

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

10.1 IP, 3.48 ERA, 10 Ks through Spring Training this year.

Would you guys rather have like Greinke, or Gio or take Wainwright this year? Seems to be where he is about ranked.
14 team H2H .5 PPR Auction
QB: Philip Rivers, Mike Glennon
RB: LeSean McCoy, Eddie Lacy, James Starks, Darren Sproles
WR: Sammy Watkins, Kelvin Benjamin, Michael Crabtree, Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills
TE: Jordan Reed
DEF: Browns, Ravens
K: Cody Parkey
IR: Marcedes Lewis

#11 Ned Ryerson

Ned Ryerson

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Id rather have Waino over those guys. big year for him

#12 jscott26

jscott26

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Would you guys rather have like Greinke, or Gio or take Wainwright this year? Seems to be where he is about ranked.

Make that: 16.1 IP, 2.76 ERA, 12 K's for this spring

I'd take Gio over Wainwright, but definitely not Greinke over Wainwright with the whole elbow sitch.
10 Team H2H categories, Keep any 5

Hitting: R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, OPS
Pitching:  W, CG, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, QS, NH, PG

C- Y. Molina
1B- E. Hosmer
2B- R. Cano
3B- A. Ramirez
SS- I. Desmond
OF- M. Trout
OF- B. Harper
OF- J. Werth
Util- A. Rod (3B)
Util- K. Morales (1B)

SP-   C. Kershaw, M. Bumgarner, Y. Darvish, D. Fister, J. Lackey, K. Lohse, I. Kennedy, S. Kazmir, Miguel Gonzalez
RP-   J. Nathan, G. Holland, M. Melancon, K. Gregg

#13 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

Make that: 16.1 IP, 2.76 ERA, 12 K's for this spring

I'd take Gio over Wainwright, but definitely not Greinke over Wainwright with the whole elbow sitch.

This.

#14 jscott26

jscott26

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

This is also noteworthy:

"In an interesting tale, the right-hander was leaving the stadium following a rough start against the Nationals on March 2 when a group of fans handed him a picture. He noticed his stride had shortened this spring and he extended it 6 inches for his next outing.

In two starts since the change, he has allowed one earned run in 10 2/3 innings. "It's made a huge deal," Wainwright said. "It gives my pitches more life. I've found that happy zone where I'm not extended too far where my ball flattens out but I'm a little bit closer to the plate now and I'm able to get on top of the ball so I'm getting better downhill plane."

Link from CBS: http://fantasynews.c...adam-wainwright

...I know pitching coaches in the majors aren't supposed to mess with mechanics but you'd think they'd be a bit more observant given the surgery. A 6 inch increase in stride length is pretty drastic when you think about the change in torque associated with a 6'7" wingspan. Tip of the cap to the folks in St. Louis.
10 Team H2H categories, Keep any 5

Hitting: R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, OPS
Pitching:  W, CG, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, QS, NH, PG

C- Y. Molina
1B- E. Hosmer
2B- R. Cano
3B- A. Ramirez
SS- I. Desmond
OF- M. Trout
OF- B. Harper
OF- J. Werth
Util- A. Rod (3B)
Util- K. Morales (1B)

SP-   C. Kershaw, M. Bumgarner, Y. Darvish, D. Fister, J. Lackey, K. Lohse, I. Kennedy, S. Kazmir, Miguel Gonzalez
RP-   J. Nathan, G. Holland, M. Melancon, K. Gregg

#15 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

I agree that I would not be comfortable with him as my #1 but should be a great #2.
www. drafttracker.net

#16 The Czar

The Czar

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

This is where Fantasy site prerankings are really screwing up the guys that do advanced research.

I really want Wainwright on my team, but it looks like he is being ranked as an ace on every site as if the last two years didn't happen.

I know that they are just doing their job, but in years past you could get a guy like this that was injured and unlucky the previous two seasons in the later rounds. You will have to pay a premium price to own him this year.
Baseball!

#17 NYSportsfan24

NYSportsfan24

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

This is where Fantasy site prerankings are really screwing up the guys that do advanced research.

I really want Wainwright on my team, but it looks like he is being ranked as an ace on every site as if the last two years didn't happen.

I know that they are just doing their job, but in years past you could get a guy like this that was injured and unlucky the previous two seasons in the later rounds. You will have to pay a premium price to own him this year.

But will he produce like an ace??

#18 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Probably a low end ace. I see him as being in the 3rd tier of starters in terms of production, right around Matt Cain and Cliff Lee, and ahead of Zack Greinke.
Bring back Ray!

#19 The Czar

The Czar

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

His peripherals have been pretty steady for awhile, so he is a pretty easy guy to project as long as he stays healthy.

15+ wins, low 3's ERA, WHIP in the 1.15-20 range, 200-210 Ks.

Given that his K/9 and BB/9 were pretty much identical to career norms, it's safe to say he will be the same pitcher he was from 2008-2010. Rank accordingly.
Baseball!

#20 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Yep, Adam will likely go before I am willing to take him this year. He was much more hittable last year than in the past.
www. drafttracker.net