Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

What is the oddest league you've played in?Settings-wise

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 kwelch

kwelch

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

I was just curious, because I know most people play in the standard 5x5, h2h, root leagues. I always play in two leagues a year, and one is standard. The other I have played in for 15 years or so is odd.

It is a an all offensive accumulative points league, no pitchers. You roster/start 2 at each position except C. That 2nd C spot is a UTL spot. 1 DL and 1 Reserve. Rosters are just locked in to score points. When they started the league, you couldn't even add/drop. A player needed to be inactive for 25 days for you to drop, so you would basically have these dead spots all through your roster. There is a salary cap and all players have a cost associated. I guess it does play like a big salary cap league.

Longest running league I have been in with 8 of the 12 members being the originals. What about you guys?
11 Team; Points Keeper League; 10th Pick

C: E. Gattis
1B: P. Fielder (K)
2B: M. Carpenter (K)
3B: M. Cabrera (TRD)
SS: H. Ramirez (K)
MI: A. Cabrera
CI: E. Encarnacion (K)
OF: S. Choo, G. Stanton, K. Davis, J. Willingham, A. Ethier
UTL: V. Martinez, J. Donaldson (TRD)
P: H. Bailey, D. Fister, H. Ryu, A. Reed, A. Cashner, C. Janssen, D. Salazar, A.J. Burnett, J. Axford
BEN: K. Wong, G. Sizemore, J. Villar
DL:
DL:

#2 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

I'm in 2 leagues that started in 1989 (A.L. only and N.L. only).

#3 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Me and my buddies played roto razzball probably about 5 years ago.

It was insane.  Basically the worst stats win.  Your trying to put the worst team out there.

The categories were

Hitting:  AVG, HR, R, RBI all lowest gets most points.  Then ABs highest gets most points.
Pitching:  ERA, WHIP, Innings, and Losses highest gets points. Then Ks lowest gets most points.

Backup catchers and #5 starters for teams with bad staffs were gold.

It was a pain tho we had to do everything through an excell spreadsheet / emails.

I would honestly be up for this again if people are interested.  I know 3-4 guys who would be down if we could at least get 6 others.

#4 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostPRoSPx, on 11 February 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

It was insane.  Basically the worst stats win.  Your trying to put the worst team out there.

The categories were

Hitting:  AVG, HR, R, RBI all lowest gets most points.  Then ABs highest gets most points.
Pitching:  ERA, WHIP, Innings, and Losses highest gets points. Then Ks lowest gets most points.

It was a pain tho we had to do everything through an excell spreadsheet / emails.

I would honestly be up for this again if people are interested.  I know 3-4 guys who would be down if we could at least get 6 others.

That is pretty wild. COL Rockies pitching staff has to be GOLD in that league.

#5 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

View Postjb_power, on 11 February 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

I'm in 2 leagues that started in 1989 (A.L. only and N.L. only).

My post above was prior to my 1st cup of coffee ... I thought it asked "what is the oldest league".

I need to remember not to post prior to my 1st cup of coffee ... although I doubt I'll remember to remember not to post without that 1st cup of coffee ... vicious circle

#6 FML

FML

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

The categories were

That sounds like a lot of fun. I have no idea who would be drafted #1 or how to go about creating a draft board

View PostJulioTheGreat, on 19 October 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

Megatron = lemon

#7 dsw283

dsw283

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

The categories were

I would be willing.

#8 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostFML, on 11 February 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

The categories were

That sounds like a lot of fun. I have no idea who would be drafted #1 or how to go about creating a draft board

I imagine Brendan Ryan is a first rounder in those settings.

I would also be interested in doing a league like that.
10 Team NL-Only Keeper List 5x5 260 Draft Cap
C: Rosario ($9)
1B: Alonso ($4)
2B: Gyorko ($14)
SS: Hanley ($22)
3B: Rendon ($4)
OF: Kemp ($11) Puig ($1) Yelich ($4)
P: Bailey ($3) Beachy ($1) Cashner ($7) Cingrani ($4) Cueto ($11) Wheeler ($4)
Needs: C,1B, MI, OF, Util, P
10 Team AL-Only Keeper List 5x5 $260 Draft Cap
1B: Hosmer ($15)
2B: Dozier ($2)
3B: Machado ($10)
CI: Lawrie ($10)
OF: Trout ($20) Myers ($5)
P: Moore ($5) Porcello ($1) Hunter ($3) Lackey ($5) Santana ($1) Walker ($5) Kazmir ($5)
Needs: C, SS, MI, OF, Util, P

#9 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostPepperPot, on 11 February 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostFML, on 11 February 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

The categories were

I imagine Brendan Ryan is a first rounder in those settings.

I would also be interested in doing a league like that.
If you are setting up something online, I would too be interested.  I dont usually like to do multiple leagues, but when one is completely opposite of the other, might be fun.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#10 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,068 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

I was a league where the fee to get in was to get your nipples pierced. That would've been ok if the other people in the league weren't all 60 year old men.
I've got more hits than Sadaharu Oh.

#11 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,068 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

The categories were

Is there a minimum AB and IP limit? I suppose there would have to be. Go Jamey Caroll!
I've got more hits than Sadaharu Oh.

#12 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think most would find our league odd in the sense there is no bench and no free agency.  There is a limited waiver wire system where if you pick up a player for a guy on the DL, you choose which one to keep when original comes back, the player not chosen goes on WW.  We have blind bid season money for that WW.

Its an auction keeper league so thats not abnormal, but the no free agency and no bench I think is pretty outside the norm these days, certainly as leagues went online and many people who play baseball came over from football where "add/drops" are the norm and you have a bench.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#13 kwelch

kwelch

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

I would be up for the crap league. I may be a natural at that one. #1 Pick; Michael Taylor; OAK.
11 Team; Points Keeper League; 10th Pick

C: E. Gattis
1B: P. Fielder (K)
2B: M. Carpenter (K)
3B: M. Cabrera (TRD)
SS: H. Ramirez (K)
MI: A. Cabrera
CI: E. Encarnacion (K)
OF: S. Choo, G. Stanton, K. Davis, J. Willingham, A. Ethier
UTL: V. Martinez, J. Donaldson (TRD)
P: H. Bailey, D. Fister, H. Ryu, A. Reed, A. Cashner, C. Janssen, D. Salazar, A.J. Burnett, J. Axford
BEN: K. Wong, G. Sizemore, J. Villar
DL:
DL:

#14 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postparrothead, on 11 February 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

If you are setting up something online, I would too be interested.  I dont usually like to do multiple leagues, but when one is completely opposite of the other, might be fun.

I haven't set anything up yet.  Before it was a pain in the a** it was all emailed excell sheets to keep track of it.  Everyone had to do their team and 2 other teams by hand that way we could cross check everything.

Now a days I'm sure some website could be geared towards making this happen.  We'll have to look into it.  But it was very fun and different and just a lighter more enjoyable mood.  Sometimes I get too competitive in regular fantasy sports to where it almost stresses me at times.  Razzball I obviously wanted to win but it was more like the Pro Bowl or an All-Star game compared to regular fantasy sports being The Superbowl / World Series.

#15 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

View Post2ndCitySox, on 11 February 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Is there a minimum AB and IP limit? I suppose there would have to be. Go Jamey Caroll!

Actually now that I'm thinking about it we did have a AB / IP limit but I can't remember what we decided on.  But I do remember us talking about considering weighting the AB and IP categories the next time we did it (which never happened).

So you would get 2x points or 2.5x points for those categories.

Obviously the objective is to make it so that someone can't just have 1 terribly bad start and win ERA and WHIP based off of it.

We also talked about adding K's for hitters.  So that there's another category that incites you to start guys that are actually playing.

I'm also thinking for pitching we should probably do BB - Ks not a ratio but a gross difference instead of K's.  So again a number that gets bigger with more innings (bad innings at least).

The league settings would have to get ironed out as well.  We kind of just ran with a simple idea which was fun but there was so much room for improvement.

#16 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,337 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

My strangest league is an 8 team keeper league that compensates for being shallow by only using 18 of the MLB rosters to make up the player pool. It's sort of like an AL or NL only except we use 9 AL and 9 NL teams.

It gets crazy when players are traded or signed via FA to new teams.

Closers are always at a premium because there are only ever 18-20 guys (committees) collecting saves, which means that we have 2.25 closers per team in this league, which is slightly less than in a standard 12 teamer.

#17 ipstaff

ipstaff

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostPRoSPx, on 11 February 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

Actually now that I'm thinking about it we did have a AB / IP limit but I can't remember what we decided on.  But I do remember us talking about considering weighting the AB and IP categories the next time we did it (which never happened).

Obviously the objective is to make it so that someone can't just have 1 terribly bad start and win ERA and WHIP based off of it.

We also talked about adding K's for hitters.  So that there's another category that incites you to start guys that are actually playing.

I'm also thinking for pitching we should probably do BB - Ks not a ratio but a gross difference instead of K's.  So again a number that gets bigger with more innings (bad innings at least).

The league settings would have to get ironed out as well.  We kind of just ran with a simple idea which was fun but there was so much room for improvement.

I would be up for this, too.  With a real AB and IP minimum, so we'd all have to field real starting players (penalty: no points in your pitching/hitting categories), could be a lot of fun.  The mad scramble to find the worst possible player as a replacement when your truly horrible guy gets injured or demoted.  Runs at the transaction wire for every Padre hitter or Colorado pitcher homestand.

Imagine it as an auction.  Calling out Daniel Descalso for 40 bucks!  Gold.

#18 exaulz

exaulz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

View Postipstaff, on 11 February 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

View PostPRoSPx, on 11 February 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

I would be up for this, too.  With a real AB and IP minimum, so we'd all have to field real starting players (penalty: no points in your pitching/hitting categories), could be a lot of fun.  The mad scramble to find the worst possible player as a replacement when your truly horrible guy gets injured or demoted.  Runs at the transaction wire for every Padre hitter or Colorado pitcher homestand.

Imagine it as an auction.  Calling out Daniel Descalso for 40 bucks!  Gold.

Last year I was the commish of a league very similar to what you guys are talking about .It was an auction points league, $260, here were the top picks...pretty funny, I ended up winning and my team MVPs were Derek Lowe and Clint Barmes (absolute gold)

Posted Image

Edited by exaulz, 12 February 2013 - 06:46 AM.

#19 Poppa Chubby 81

Poppa Chubby 81

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

The categories were

I would love to do a league like that. email me if you put one together patsox0607@yahoo.com

#20 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Point values makes it interesting too.