Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

How do you guys determine draft order?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Yanks4Life92

Yanks4Life92

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Year after year we just do a randomized draft order, but I want to do something a little more creative this year.  There would be a bunch of cool ideas if we could all meet up, but we're scattered at different colleges throughout the country.

Any fun ideas to determine draft order? Ideally it wouldn't be a lot of skill involved so that it was still a randomized.

#2 TheFranchiseAce

TheFranchiseAce

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Playoff teams get 7-10

We do a lottery for the rest.  

5 Keepers so it doesn't hurt the playoff teams too much.

#3 dsw283

dsw283

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

In one of our leagues this year, just a quick summary of it, we are doing a drawing 1-14, and whenever your name is drawn, a MLB team name is drawn at the same time.  Based on the spring training record of your team that was drawn with your name, up to the time of our draft, is where you will be drafting.  Gives us something to root for during spring training, and makes things a little bit more fun.

#4 klove42

klove42

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

View Postdsw283, on 11 February 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

In one of our leagues this year, just a quick summary of it, we are doing a drawing 1-14, and whenever your name is drawn, a MLB team name is drawn at the same time.  Based on the spring training record of your team that was drawn with your name, up to the time of our draft, is where you will be drafting.  Gives us something to root for during spring training, and makes things a little bit more fun.

Sounds pretty fun actually. I might have to try to implement this in one of my leagues.
No Days Off

#5 parrothead

parrothead

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

View Postdsw283, on 11 February 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

In one of our leagues this year, just a quick summary of it, we are doing a drawing 1-14, and whenever your name is drawn, a MLB team name is drawn at the same time.  Based on the spring training record of your team that was drawn with your name, up to the time of our draft, is where you will be drafting.  Gives us something to root for during spring training, and makes things a little bit more fun.
This is a really cool idea.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 #1Stunna

#1Stunna

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

sounds like a cool way to do it, but isn't that a bit tight schedule-wise?  I know the M's have their final spring training game on March 30th and then start the season two days later.  I would assume this is pretty much the norm but I guess if it works for your league to draft one day before the season starts then good on you.

our league gives the winner of last year's consolation bracket the #1 pick and then randomizes the rest.  I'm thinking of doing a live video this year to add some excitement to it but the order will still be random, other than the first slot.
12 team H2H, 42-inning limit, $$$, League Champion 2007, 2010

C:  Matt Wieters
1B:  Miguel Cabrera
2B:  Jason Kipnis
3B:  Adrian Beltre
SS:  Elvis Andrus
IF:  Brett Lawrie
OF:  Ichiro Suzuki
OF:  Alex Rios
OF:  Matt Holliday
Util:  Edwin Encarnacion
BN:  Alex Presley, Brian Lahair, Yonder Alonso, Allen Craig (DL), Mike Carp (DL)

SP:  Cole Hamels, Zack Greinke, Corey Luebke, Jordan Zimmerman, Ricky Romero, Phil Hughes
RP:  Kenley Jansen, Javy Guerra, Jason Motte, Jim Johnson, Brad Lidge, Alfredo Aceves

#7 dsw283

dsw283

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

View Post#1Stunna, on 11 February 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

sounds like a cool way to do it, but isn't that a bit tight schedule-wise?  I know the M's have their final spring training game on March 30th and then start the season two days later.  I would assume this is pretty much the norm but I guess if it works for your league to draft one day before the season starts then good on you.

our league gives the winner of last year's consolation bracket the #1 pick and then randomizes the rest.  I'm thinking of doing a live video this year to add some excitement to it but the order will still be random, other than the first slot.

We do it up to the day of our draft. So whenever our draft is, is when we will mark the standings/draft order that day.  We don't go all the way to the end of ST.

#8 #1Stunna

#1Stunna

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

View Postdsw283, on 11 February 2013 - 02:49 PM, said:

View Post#1Stunna, on 11 February 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

sounds like a cool way to do it, but isn't that a bit tight schedule-wise?  I know the M's have their final spring training game on March 30th and then start the season two days later.  I would assume this is pretty much the norm but I guess if it works for your league to draft one day before the season starts then good on you.

our league gives the winner of last year's consolation bracket the #1 pick and then randomizes the rest.  I'm thinking of doing a live video this year to add some excitement to it but the order will still be random, other than the first slot.

We do it up to the day of our draft. So whenever our draft is, is when we will mark the standings/draft order that day.  We don't go all the way to the end of ST.
Ah, so.
12 team H2H, 42-inning limit, $$$, League Champion 2007, 2010

C:  Matt Wieters
1B:  Miguel Cabrera
2B:  Jason Kipnis
3B:  Adrian Beltre
SS:  Elvis Andrus
IF:  Brett Lawrie
OF:  Ichiro Suzuki
OF:  Alex Rios
OF:  Matt Holliday
Util:  Edwin Encarnacion
BN:  Alex Presley, Brian Lahair, Yonder Alonso, Allen Craig (DL), Mike Carp (DL)

SP:  Cole Hamels, Zack Greinke, Corey Luebke, Jordan Zimmerman, Ricky Romero, Phil Hughes
RP:  Kenley Jansen, Javy Guerra, Jason Motte, Jim Johnson, Brad Lidge, Alfredo Aceves

#9 Murphzilla

Murphzilla

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

reverse of standings

#10 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

We do the basic option of just having reverse standings from the previous year(regular season standings) with only the league champion and runner-up getting the last 2 picks, regardless of where they finished at during the end of the regular season.
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 3B)
SS - Jean Segura (MIL - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Matt Kemp (LAD - CF)
RF - Allen Craig (StL - 1B, LF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Matt Carpenter (StL - 1B, 2B, 3B, RF), Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw(DL), Cole Hamels(DL), Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jordan Zimmermann, Corey Kluber, Jered Weaver, Ivan Nova, Hiroki Kuroda, Enny Romero
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Sergio Santos, Carlos Martinez
Farm System: George Springer(HOU - OF), Andrew Heaney(Mia - SP),Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#11 theeplaymaker

theeplaymaker

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

If you want another way to do it randomly: http://fftoolbox.com...r_generator.cfm

You can do it couple days/weeks before draft to allow managers to prep according to draft position. Sends out email to each manager letting them know draft order. Easy and been using it for years. Then just set order based on the randomization in league settings.

My keeper league (12 teams) - Obviously different with keepers but bottom 6 go based upon regular season record then 6 teams who make playoffs is determined by final playoff standings with the champion going last.

Edited by theeplaymaker, 11 February 2013 - 04:57 PM.

C: V-Martinez
1B: Freeman
2B: Utley
3B: Zimmerman
SS: Tulo
OF: Will Myers, Joey Bats, Giancarlo
UT: Headley, Werth
BN: Crawford, Andrus
DL:  Kemp

SP: Price, Kershaw, Smard, Ervin, Chacin, Medlan, Cole
RP: Perkins, Reed, Romo

Trades:
Melky Ctana Minor for Kemp and Price
Grienke/Gordon for Bats