Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Ian Desmond 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#1 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

he always could steal bases but showed power last season. can he continue or even improve.

#2 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

I like .320 OBP/20/20
Not sure where he is slotted to hit, but runs and ribs should be about 160-170 combined I would guess
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#3 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Slotted currently to bat 6th

#4 Stanford410

Stanford410

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

That was the first year he's ever hit 20 homers which scares me. 8 hr's,10 hr's in the previous 2 seasons. He is always a threat to steal 20 at least but I'm not sure if he'll hit 20 home runs again. I'm in the middle of the road for Desmond but I think he'll sit around: .275 16 hr 65 rbi 28 sb
SF Giants-UGA Dawgs-Pittsburgh Steelers

#5 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

That was the first year he's ever hit 20 homers which scares me. 8 hr's,10 hr's in the previous 2 seasons. He is always a threat to steal 20 at least but I'm not sure if he'll hit 20 home runs again. I'm in the middle of the road for Desmond but I think he'll sit around: .275 16 hr 65 rbi 28 sb

His power is legit though if you look at his homers by distance I think he ranked second on the team last year or the year before in average distance. He can hit some bombs
No Days Off

#6 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

With a .332 babip, I expect that batting avg to fall.

My projection: .265 avg, 14 hr, 70 rbi, 17 sb

#7 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

That lineup will definitely give him plenty of rbi chances hitting behind Zimmerman, LaRoche, and Werth. I'm guessing he'll end up around 15-20 homers, 75-90 rbi's, 70-80 runs, and 20-25 steals.
Bring back Ray!

#8 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

That lineup will definitely give him plenty of rbi chances hitting behind Zimmerman, LaRoche, and Werth. I'm guessing he'll end up around 15-20 homers, 75-90 rbi's, 70-80 runs, and 20-25 steals.

And 30-35 errors...

Edited by Halo Fan, 17 February 2013 - 05:01 PM.

"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#9 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Good thing errors do not count in fantasy. But on a real tip he is working hard on correcting his fielding issues. No different then say a Starlin Castro. Go look at Desmond's homerun highlight reel on MLB.com. He very rarely hit any cheapies and looks more jacked then your typical SS. When he hit the ball it jumped off his bat. I am buyer on Desmond because I truly think his 20 homer potential is here to stay and the SB's will be be there. He exploded last year when he was put in the 6th spot. Great spot for him to collect his 80 RBi's and also plenty of chances to steal bases. If you can get a SS who can get you 80 20 80 25 .280 then you got yourself a stud at SS.

#10 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

With a .332 babip, I expect that batting avg to fall.

My projection: .265 avg, 14 hr, 70 rbi, 17 sb

His lifetime BABIP is .320. No reason to expect much regression there.

#11 sayhey58

sayhey58

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Good thing errors do not count in fantasy. But on a real tip he is working hard on correcting his fielding issues. No different then say a Starlin Castro. Go look at Desmond's homerun highlight reel on MLB.com. He very rarely hit any cheapies and looks more jacked then your typical SS. When he hit the ball it jumped off his bat. I am buyer on Desmond because I truly think his 20 homer potential is here to stay and the SB's will be be there. He exploded last year when he was put in the 6th spot. Great spot for him to collect his 80 RBi's and also plenty of chances to steal bases. If you can get a SS who can get you 80 20 80 25 .280 then you got yourself a stud at SS.

I agree.....I am in the "I'm bullish on Desmond" camp :)

#12 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

Agree with these numbers. Only time I will agree with a Giant fan ;)

#13 Pusherman

Pusherman

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:46 AM

This guy is primed for a huge season. He has tons of firepower around him, and the only thing that can hold him back is an injury.

#14 Dodger Blue 88

Dodger Blue 88

Allstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

This guy is primed for a huge season. He has tons of firepower around him, and the only thing that can hold him back is an injury.

You are not worried that he more then tripled his hr's from the year before? His career high was 10 before 25 last year. I think he will come down in many cats this year form 2012 but still be a decent SS.

#15 Pusherman

Pusherman

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:45 AM

You are not worried that he more then tripled his hr's from the year before? His career high was 10 before 25 last year. I think he will come down in many cats this year form 2012 but still be a decent SS.

Not worried at all, he's just now entering his prime (age 27 season).

#16 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

With him it isnt so much the numbers of HRs of the previous years as it is the power potential you see, like posted above he hits some long HRs. I think he may be a little undervalued

#17 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

This is another guy I just have no idea what to do with. He's going about 6th round in 12 team leagues. Last year he hit 25 homers in 130 games... Is this for real? The speed has always been there, but the power kind of came out of no where. Wondering if he is this years Asdrubal Cabrera who will fall back into the mid teens in homers... At the same time, he will be 27 this year so its not like he has a history of 5-7 seasons without power. His average is likely headed for a fall, but I don't think anyone will care if he goes 20/20.

#18 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,567 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Desmond feels like a bust to me this year. Terrible K/BB ratio, terrible plate discipline. His HR/FB% just skyrocketed last year from previous years, and he hit the same percentage of fly balls as he did previous years. I just have a feeling he'll be one of those players that is picked early, and owners will come flocking in this thread in May and June screaming about how busty he is.

#19 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

I think theres no reason he won't hit .270+ with a good chance for 18-20 homers and 20+ steals. That lineup should be pretty stacked too, so his other stats should be pretty good. I'll take those numbers for SS any day if I miss out on the top guys.
Sarge: Whats gonna happen is that you jerk off the ball, almost wanna let this guy here jam you, and if it comes it comes.

#20 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,568 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

I think last year was his ceiling and is not going to be the norm. Hope I'm wrong because I was touting him big time last year but I just have a feeling.