Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Team advice wanted

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 JasonPark

JasonPark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

14 team dynasty league, 6x6 scoring, standard Yahoo! scoring plus OBP and Holds.

C: Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Bos.)
1B: Mark Teixeira (NYY)
2B: Ian Kinsler (Tex.)
3B: David Wright (NYM)
SS: Josh Rutledge (also 2B – Col.)
OF: Josh Reddick (Oak.)
OF: Carlos Gomez (Mil.)
OF: Colby Rasmus (Tor.)
Util.: Pedro Alvarez (3B - Pit.)
Util.: Mitch Moreland (1B – Tex.)
Bench: J.P. Arencibia (C – Tor.)
Bench: Jacoby Ellsbury (OF – Bos.)
Bench: Chris Carter (1B – Hou.)
Bench: Emilio Bonifacio (2B, OF – Tor.)
Bench: Eduardo Nunez (3B, SS – NYY)

SP: Hiroki Kuroda (NYY)
SP: Zack Greinke (LAD)
RP: Jason Motte (StL)
RP: Ernesto Frieri (LAA)
P: Brandon Morrow (SP – Tor.)
P: Jake McGee (RP – TB)
P: Chris Perez (RP – Cle.)
P: Bronson Arroyo (SP – Cin.)
Bench: Phil Hughes (SP – NYY)
Bench: Alexi Ogando (RP – Tex.)
Bench: Eric O’Flaherty (RP – Atl.)
Bench: Daniel Straily (SP – Oak.)

So, there's the team. Any suggestions on ways of improving pre-season?
14 team dynasty league, 6x6 scoring, standard Yahoo! scoring plus OBP and Holds.
Start 1 C, 1 1B, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 SS, 3 OF, 2 Util., 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P.

C: Jason Castro (Hou.)
1B: Chris Davis (Bal.), Mark Trumbo (also OF - LAA), Matt Adams (StL.)
2B: Dee Gordon ( also SS - LAD), Kolten Wong (StL), Rougned Odor (Tex.)
3B: Pedro Alvarez (Pit.)
SS: Mookie Betts also OF - Bos.)
OF: Jason Heyward (Atl.), Jay Bruce (Cin.), Colby Rasmus (Tor.), Jacoby Ellsbury (NYY), Melky Cabrera (Tor.)
SP: Zack Greinke (LAD), Chris Sale (CWS), Daniel Straily (Oak.), Tony Cingrani (also RP - Cin.), Kyle Gibson (Min.), Drew Smyly (also RP - Det.), Tyler Skaggs (Ari.), Trevor Bauer (Cle.), Marcus Stroman (also RP - Tor.), Jake Odorizzi (Tam.), Wade Miley (Ari.)
RP: Rex Brothers (Col.), Jake McGee (TB), Ernesto Frieri (Pit.), Jenry Mejia (also SP - NYM)

DL: Dexter Fowler (OF - Hou.), Brandon Morrow (SP - Tor.
NA: Kris Bryant (3B - ChC), Jameson Taillon (SP - Pit.)

#2 Ben Edelman

Ben Edelman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Yikes, this is pretty brutal. The SP is Greinke plus a bunch of question marks (Morrow, Hughes, Kuroda, Arroyo). I could easily see a 4.50 ERA out of that group. Your OF/UT is extremely weak; I'm not sure you have a top-50 hitter in any of those five slots.

Seriously, in a Dynasty, I would look for this to be a rebuilding year. You have some decent veterans on the downside whom you might be able to convert into good prospects. Can you trade Teixeira for Shelby Miller? Kinsler and Carlos Gomez for Wil Myers? Ellsbury and Kuroda for Carlos Martinez?

By 2014 you want to have a core team built around Greinke, Motte, Arencibia and Wright. Plus maybe Rasmus and Alvarez if they ever reach their potential. That's about all you have. If you can add 3-4 really good young players throughout this year, you will have a solid team in 2014.

Since 1995: 12-team 4x4 Roto auction keeper, NL-only. Likely keepers:
C: Mesoraco, xx
1/3: Lamb, Rendon, xx
2/S: Tulo, Alcantara, Segura
O/U: Yelich, Harper, xx, xx, xx, xx
SP: Hahn, Morton, xx, xx, xx
RP: Rondon, Clippard, Mejia, Fujikawa, xx
Min: Bryant, JP Crawford, Piscotty

#3 JasonPark

JasonPark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

This is the third year of our league. I lost in the semis the first 2 years, and think I could work some magic and possibly make it back to the playoffs again.

As far as pitching, I think Morrow is gonna be really good this year. He won't have the pressure of being a #1 with all the moves the Jays have made. Straily could be decent, Ogando could be decent if he gets a chance to move to the rotation.

I agree I have some improvements to make this year though.

OF: Jason Heyward (Atl.), Jay Bruce (Cin.), Colby Rasmus (Tor.), Jacoby Ellsbury (NYY), Melky Cabrera (Tor.)
SP: Zack Greinke (LAD), Chris Sale (CWS), Daniel Straily (Oak.), Tony Cingrani (also RP - Cin.), Kyle Gibson (Min.), Drew Smyly (also RP - Det.), Tyler Skaggs (Ari.), Trevor Bauer (Cle.), Marcus Stroman (also RP - Tor.), Jake Odorizzi (Tam.), Wade Miley (Ari.)
RP: Rex Brothers (Col.), Jake McGee (TB), Ernesto Frieri (Pit.), Jenry Mejia (also SP - NYM)

#4 thump

thump

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

While I think you need some creative trading as well.. Don't deal Ellsbury for Carlos Martinez.. Ellsbury is in line for a nice bounce back season.. don't sell him short..

please give me some advice as well ..

http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=337040

#5 JasonPark

JasonPark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

BUMP!!! Looking for more thoughts.

#6 Watermock

Watermock

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

That is tough. Like one poster said, I'd consider trading good pieces for young players with upside. And drafting the rest to build for the future. There are bound to be a few teams in your league that are looking to win now and would take Kinsler or Wright for younger prospect players.

10 Team H2H Categories. Keep 5 Players.
C- Rosario
1b- C. Davis
2b- Wong
3b- Alvarez
SS- Alexie Ramirez
Of- Stanton, Cargo, Cutch, Yelich, Springer, Tavares
Util - Rizzo, Bogaerts, DL - Phillips, Myers
SP - Kazmir, Zimmerman, Lester, Ross ,Hudson, McGee, Stroman, Latos
10 Team H2H Categories. Keep 8 Players.
C- Meseraco
1B- Freeman
2B - 
SS- Baez
3B- Arenado
2B/SS - Murphy
1B/3B - Goldy
Util - VMart, Harrison, Rollins, DL - Tulo
OF - Trout, Stanton, Cutch, Gomez, Heyward, Soler
SP - Cobb, Stroman, Bailey, Weaver, Samardjzia, Weaver RP - Mejia, Papelbon, Reed

#7 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

I think one move to consider is an up grade at 1B. I'd like to see Tex in your Util spot. You have some young talent at 2B in Rutledge so Kinsler could be your trade bait, and you could throw in either Carter or Moreland if it helped. If you could then put say an A. Rizzo or I. Davis in there, you have some pieces to build on. Ellsbury should immediately replace Rasmus in your lineup, but I'd hang onto Rasmus if I could. Reddick is at peak value right now, offer him for a SS. Also try and grab some of these unknown guys at SS if they're available like Hechevarria in Miami or Nakajima in Oakland. They have played at the highest levels in their respective countries, so a flyer may pay off. Maybe Reddick could bring in Yunel Escobar plus a pitcher with a little upside from that owner, just floating a couple of ideas.
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#8 JasonPark

JasonPark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hey, thanks. Those are a couple good ideas. That's what I'm looking for.

I like Hechavarria. Being a Jays fan, I've followed his progress quite a bit, and I was really impressed in his limited time at the end of the year.

Reddick's intriguing, because I don't think he will have the same amount of power as last year, but I just picked him up midseason or so, and rode his hot year

Do you think Rutledge can handle a full season at 2B? Also, within the next few years, Kinsler will probably be moved from second, so that would be selling him at his peak too, I suppose.

Again, thanks for the input. After competing the last 2 years, I don't think I am poised to compete again unless a lot of things break perfectly for me.

Edited by JasonPark, 14 February 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#9 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hey, thanks. Those are a couple good ideas. That's what I'm looking for.

I like Hechavarria. Being a Jays fan, I've followed his progress quite a bit, and I was really impressed in his limited time at the end of the year.

Reddick's intriguing, because I don't think he will have the same amount of power as last year, but I just picked him up midseason or so, and rode his hot year

Do you think Rutledge can handle a full season at 2B? Also, within the next few years, Kinsler will probably be moved from second, so that would be selling him at his peak too, I suppose.

Again, thanks for the input. After competing the last 2 years, I don't think I am poised to compete again unless a lot of things break perfectly for me.

It appears they like Rutledge long-term. He's in a good hitters environment and that lineup is improved, especially with a healthy Tulo (we all hope!). Your thinking on Kinsler was mine exactly, sell high. I think that's the one position you can afford to trade away and still compete. I'd see if I could pry away a couple of disappointments from some impatient owners like Hosmer or Lawrie, if it's an option. Float a few flyers out there and see if there's any interest. The more pieces you can accumulate the more options you provide yourself to improve. That of course depends on how open or averse the other owners are to trading. And I'd definitely be scouring the minors for some pitching prospects, after Grienke I think Hughes is the only other guy with major upside. You have some injury risks that most likely will hamper you this season. You built a winner once, you can do it again. I always ask other owners for ideas about trades, sometimes they'll toss you a killer offer. You may have to politely decline a few stinkers, but keep communication open, you can truly be surprised on occasion. You may have to be patient this year, nut you have pieces in place to position you.
Good luck!
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#10 JasonPark

JasonPark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Do you think sending an offer of Wright straight up for Lawrie would be too much on my part?

#11 kobe24

kobe24

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Do you think sending an offer of Wright straight up for Lawrie would be too much on my part?

yes i think that is too much. i definitely prefer wright. answer mine? sent you a pm

#12 JasonPark

JasonPark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

I didn't get your PM. Do you have a link or something?

#13 JasonPark

JasonPark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

Apparently, our league will be downsizing to 12 teams this year, and players will be available to draft.

The top hitters will be:
Votto
Reyes
Granderson
Bruce
Lawrie
Rizzo
Bourn
Choo
VMart
Rosario
Altuve
Sal Perez

Top pitchers:
Hamels
Dickey
Kimbrel
CJ Wilson
Putz
Holland
Estrada
Kenley Jansen
League
Pettite
Jackson
Romero

We're gonna use a random-order generator. Given my roster, who would be the top guys here to target?

#14 JasonPark

JasonPark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

BUMP!!!!

#15 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'd target most any of those hitters, you can find a place for almost all of them. Votto would be you dream pick IMO not just because he's the best projected player but he is the biggest upgrade for your roster. Also either catcher would help and Altuve is a sneaky pick, you would have a solid, very young middle infield. Lawrie offers the most upside, but he needs lots of skills improvements to reach his potential, most notably he needs to hit lots more fly balls. Hamels would be terrific too, of course. If you pick early I'd target Votto or Hamels or Bruce and then Altuve. Middle pick I'd think Lawrie and Rosario, late I might look for Sal Perez and Rizzo or Choo.

#16 JasonPark

JasonPark

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

One guy has all his pitchers available. He wants positions: C, 2B, 3B, RP.

I sent him an offer of Kinsler, Chris Perez and Saltalamacchia for Darvish and Lincecum. Too much? Enough?