Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Final Keeper. Carlos Gomez or Mike Minor?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Piotr

Piotr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

Cuts are due in my 10-team mixed-league keeper tomorrow night. We keep 14 players. No restrictions. Offensive categories are runs, hits, walks, HR, RBI, steals, OPS and extra-base hits. Pitching categories are wins, ERA, WHIP, strikeouts, batting average against, innings pitched, saves and holds.

Important to note our active lineup includes four outfielders and seven starting pitchers. Starting pitching is overvalued in this league.

I'm pretty well set on my first 13 keepers, but I'm struggling with No. 14. Here's what I've got.

1. Joe Mauer
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Aramis Ramirez
4. Allen Craig (1B/OF)
5. Troy Tulowitzki
6. Jason Kipnis
7. Ben Zobrist (OF/2B/SS)
8. Felix Hernandez
9. Zack Greinke
10. Adam Wainwright
11. Ian Kennedy
12. C.J. Wilson
13. Lance Lynn

No. 14 is tough. I don't really have a player I like there. I'll probably have Craig at first base and Zobrist in the outfield (his walks alone bump up his value here), so the outfield is an issue. Carlos Gomez is my best option there and he is certainly a threat for 20 home runs and 40 steals. He's also a threat to go back to being a guy who gets 300 at-bats.

I really like Minor. Showed strikeout ability in the minors. Really seemed to put it all together the second half of 2012.

So, who should I keep?

Leave a link and I'll help with yours.

#2 lassetjus

lassetjus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

Hmm.. I really like Minor, too. Can you tell who may be available to replace Carlos Gomez if you don't keep him? Also what pitchers might be available if you don't keep Minor.

Basically your choices are Minor/sub-standard OF or keep Gomez/sub-standard SP

I guess it depends on the depth of OF and depth of SP. It sounds like SP, like most years, is easier to find off the waiver wire than hitting. So perhaps Gomez is the way to go, if that's the case.

12-team H2H $$ Keeper League (4 Keepers From Round Taken, 3-Year Max Contract) (10th year in existence, 4-time Champion, 2-time Runner-Up)
Categories: 7 x 7 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K) x (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD, QS)

C-Travis d'Arnaud
1B-Freddie Freeman (4)
2B-Anthony Rendon
3B-Nolan Arenado
SS-Mookie Betts
LF-Corey Dickerson
CF-Yasiel Puig (16)
RF-Jorge Soler
UTIL-Antoan Richardson

SP-Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner (3), Julio Teheran, Tanner Roark, Yordano Ventura, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, Yusmeiro Petit
RP-Aroldis Chapman, Trevor Rosenthal, Jenrry Mejia, Ken Giles, Luke Gregerson, Brett Cecil

#3 Piotr

Piotr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

For pure need, I'd go with Gomez. i need the OF help more. I think Minor is the better player and less likely to be a complete bust.

But thanks for the input.

#4 lassetjus

lassetjus

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

For pure need, I'd go with Gomez. i need the OF help more. I think Minor is the better player and less likely to be a complete bust.

But thanks for the input.

I really like Minor, too. I mean I am seriously targeting him in a lot of my drafts. Sometimes, you just gotta go with your gut, and take the players that you like. You will like your team better and be satisfied.

12-team H2H $$ Keeper League (4 Keepers From Round Taken, 3-Year Max Contract) (10th year in existence, 4-time Champion, 2-time Runner-Up)
Categories: 7 x 7 (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, K) x (W, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD, QS)

C-Travis d'Arnaud
1B-Freddie Freeman (4)
2B-Anthony Rendon
3B-Nolan Arenado
SS-Mookie Betts
LF-Corey Dickerson
CF-Yasiel Puig (16)
RF-Jorge Soler
UTIL-Antoan Richardson

SP-Stephen Strasburg, Madison Bumgarner (3), Julio Teheran, Tanner Roark, Yordano Ventura, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, Yusmeiro Petit
RP-Aroldis Chapman, Trevor Rosenthal, Jenrry Mejia, Ken Giles, Luke Gregerson, Brett Cecil

#5 Piotr

Piotr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

Good point.

#6 The Big Bat Theory

The Big Bat Theory

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Why not take both? Or do you really trust C.J. and Kennedy to both bounce back fully or Lynn to remain consistent thru the whole year. I'd rather gamble on Minor over any of these three.

But wanting to keep 7 starters, don't like that. Way too many. You need position players. With 13 keepers your opponents will be hoarding all the great OF talent and you don't have a single OF keeper on your list. Unless it is your plan to trade away a pitcher or two from that list for some decent outfielders. If so, fine. Otherwise you simply can't afford not to keep Carlos Gomez. The guy is young and has both power and speed. I'd kill to have him on my teams.

#7 DaBirds12

DaBirds12

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

I'd go Minor. Guys like Gomez are a dime a dozen. Minor has a chance to be great!

#8 Piotr

Piotr

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

Why not take both? Or do you really trust C.J. and Kennedy to both bounce back fully or Lynn to remain consistent thru the whole year. I'd rather gamble on Minor over any of these three.

But wanting to keep 7 starters, don't like that. Way too many. You need position players. With 13 keepers your opponents will be hoarding all the great OF talent and you don't have a single OF keeper on your list. Unless it is your plan to trade away a pitcher or two from that list for some decent outfielders. If so, fine. Otherwise you simply can't afford not to keep Carlos Gomez. The guy is young and has both power and speed. I'd kill to have him on my teams.

Actually, I've got two guys eligible in the outfield on that list. Craig and Zobrist, though I expect to use Craig at first base.

That is my argument for Gomez. My need for OF help.

I think of all the pitchers I'm keeping, Minor is the one I'd most likely be able to draft back if i cut him. I have the No. 8 pick in the first round and there is no way I'd see Lynn or Kennedy again there. But you hit on one of the hardest parts of getting myself to this point. After my top three, it is really tough to separate the rest of my starting pitchers.

#9 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

Do you know what arms or OFers will be available after everybody's keepers are locked in?

This is tough, but on the surface I'd probably go with Gomez when looking strictly at your roster
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B, LF)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Joe Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System: Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#10 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Yes keep Carlos Gomez for sure, glaring hole in your lineup at OF. Also, I personally would keep Minor over Lynn.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#11 jackmurphy

jackmurphy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Gomez. Your pitching is pretty stacked and you need the OF help
Sarge: Whats gonna happen is that you jerk off the ball, almost wanna let this guy here jam you, and if it comes it comes.

#12 astarlist

astarlist

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

I'd keep Minor. I bet he puts up similar numbers to Greinke, so you can trade Greinke for a better OF than Gomez on name value. For keepers, I just go best player, not need (you can make up for need via trades/draft)

help?
http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=337289
12 team dynasty h2h points league
C C. Santana
1b Trumbo
2b Kipnis, Prado
ss Bogaerts
3b Zimmerman
MI Rutledge
CI Sandoval
OF Choo, Gardner, Fowler, M. Brantley
Util Belt,
BN G. Polanco, Buxton

P Minor, Moore, Salazar, Kennedy, Archer, Yordano, Z. Wheeler, Erasmo Ramirez, T. Walker, Duffy, Bundy, Heaney