62 replies to this topic

#1 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

"Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said Friday that Gerardo Parra has the chance to work his way into the Opening Day lineup based on his performance this spring. The 26-year-old outfielder hit .273/.335/.392 with seven homers and 15 steals in 2012. The D'Backs are expected to proceed with a starting outfield of Cody Ross, Adam Eaton and Jason Kubel, but Parra could work his way in if Eaton struggles during the spring."

Nice player to own in deeper NL-only leagues, not yet quite mixed league relevant. Any reason why this guy always seems to get passed over for a job?  Seems like he has a good skill-set and that if he was ever given enough playing time, he could be a solid pickup.

#2 mavsfan23

mavsfan23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

seems like just bad luck to me. when/if he does get a starting job somewhere, i wouldn't wait to pick him up. definitely a great $1 guy in deeper leagues.
Baseball can't get here fast enough

#3 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Possible sleeper/under the radar Week 1 waiver wire pickup?  Playing time will be there w/ all of ARI OF
injuries. Will he hit leadoff to begin?

#4 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Think this guy is being overlooked a LOT.  I'm not suggesting he's a staple in 10-team leagues, and maybe not even 12-team leagues, depending on your depth.  But with all the injuries in the OF in Arizona - Eaton out for who knows how long, then Kubel and Cody Ross around (though Ross is battling health currently), there's an opportunity for playing time in the short term.

He's got some pop, speed, and is their best defensive OF as well.  Had nearly as many BBs as Ks in ST, and just hit one off the top of the wall in his first AB off Wainwright.

I'd bet he plays almost everyday until Eaton returns, and given that's an elbow strain (which sounds a lot like Crawford and Gardner to me), Parra could be a very sneaky pickup.

#5 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

picked up Parra this am to replace Ruggiano after the announcement he was platooning with the hit machine Chris Coglan.  Not great at anything but can help in 4 out of 5 cats (don't see him getting many RBI).

Possibly a poor man's Melky if he can manage to get 500 ABs.

Edited by jb_power, 01 April 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#6 pfresh

pfresh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

Damn. Parra is killing it. 4-5. 3 doubles and a run.

So glad i picked him up
NFL 2013 12-Team League    9th Pick Overall    $ League   Record: 10-3 REPEAT!! Back to Back
QB: Peyton Manning
WR1: Vincent Jackson WR2: Pierre Garcon    WR3: Eric Decker
RB1: Marshawn Lynch    RB2: Reggie Bush
TE:
Julius Thomas DEF: Seattle    Kicker: Stephen Gostkowski
Bench: Joique Bell, Julian Edelman, Kirk Cousins, Todman
NFL 2013 10-Team League    7th pick Overall $ League Record: 8-5     New League this year.  1st place Champ!
QB: Drew Brees
WR1: Vincent Jackson WR2: Pierre Garcon WR3: Eric Decker
RB1: Knownshon Moreno RB2: Trent RichardsonZac Stacy
TE: Delaine Walker   DEF: Streaming Defenses   Kicker: Dan Bailey
Bench: CJ Spiller, Percy Harvin, Dennis Pitta, Kirk Cousins, Todman

#7 biggedge

biggedge

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:12 AM

View PostJFS171, on 01 April 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

Think this guy is being overlooked a LOT.  I'm not suggesting he's a staple in 10-team leagues, and maybe not even 12-team leagues, depending on your depth.  But with all the injuries in the OF in Arizona - Eaton out for who knows how long, then Kubel and Cody Ross around (though Ross is battling health currently), there's an opportunity for playing time in the short term.

He's got some pop, speed, and is their best defensive OF as well.  Had nearly as many BBs as Ks in ST, and just hit one off the top of the wall in his first AB off Wainwright.

I'd bet he plays almost everyday until Eaton returns, and given that's an elbow strain (which sounds a lot like Crawford and Gardner to me), Parra could be a very sneaky pickup.

Gotta give props where they're due.  He'll be at the top of the "Most Added" lists tomorrow, but you called it in advance.  He is not a huge risk to lose AB's no matter the situation with the other OF's in AZ.  He is and always has been a huge favorite of Gibby (and the fans here) and will get his even when everyone is healthy.

#8 Augie504

Augie504

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hit a dinger tonight, grabbed him before the season once I saw Eaton go down he has been my only hitter doing anything through first 3 days.

He had pretty solid stats in limited AB's last year and batting leadoff should yield him some good runs in that lineup and SB opportunities.

The pop early is what I like to see 3 2B's in the first game and one was off the 413 wall which is a homer in most parks then a dinger tonight is good to see he'll certainly be added a lot within the next few days.
16 team H2H dynasty league year #8(R,TB,1B,2B,3B,HR,RBI,SB,OBP,SLG,AVG) (IP,W,L,K/9, BB/9,CG,SV,HLD,WHIP,ERA,QS)

C- Joe Mauer
1B- Albert Pujols
2B- Chase Utley
3B- Matt Carpenter
SS- Troy Tulowitzki
LF- Curtis Granderson
CF- Jacoby Ellsbury
RF- Giancarlo Stanton
UTIL- Hunter Pence
BN-Victor Martinez, Johnny Peralta, David Freese, Chris Ianetta, Martin Prado, Michael Saunders

SP- Tim Hudson, Scott Kazmir, AJ Burnett, Marco Estrada,Travis Wood, Mike Leake, Ubaldo Jimenez, Jesse Hahn, Dillon Gee
RP- Glen Perkins, Huston Street, Tommy Hunter, Joaquin Benoit, LaTroy Hawkins, Wade Davis, John Axford
DL- CC Sabathia
Minors- Engel Beltre, AJ Cole, Roberto Osuna

#9 pfresh

pfresh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Also hit another triple. He is definitely off to a good start to the season.

Definitely paying for people who drafted Eaton and grabbed Parra as insurance such as myself.
NFL 2013 12-Team League    9th Pick Overall    $ League   Record: 10-3 REPEAT!! Back to Back
QB: Peyton Manning
WR1: Vincent Jackson WR2: Pierre Garcon    WR3: Eric Decker
RB1: Marshawn Lynch    RB2: Reggie Bush
TE:
Julius Thomas DEF: Seattle    Kicker: Stephen Gostkowski
Bench: Joique Bell, Julian Edelman, Kirk Cousins, Todman
NFL 2013 10-Team League    7th pick Overall $ League Record: 8-5     New League this year.  1st place Champ!
QB: Drew Brees
WR1: Vincent Jackson WR2: Pierre Garcon WR3: Eric Decker
RB1: Knownshon Moreno RB2: Trent RichardsonZac Stacy
TE: Delaine Walker   DEF: Streaming Defenses   Kicker: Dan Bailey
Bench: CJ Spiller, Percy Harvin, Dennis Pitta, Kirk Cousins, Todman

#10 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Interestingly enough Eaton is supposed to get in a cage next week. He may be back end of April/early May after all.

Even still, Parra may work his way into everyday ABs here, and those who grabbed him as Eaton insurance may well have a nice trade chip or depth player...

#11 Z06vette

Z06vette

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,195 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostJFS171, on 03 April 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

Interestingly enough Eaton is supposed to get in a cage next week. He may be back end of April/early May after all.

Even still, Parra may work his way into everyday ABs here, and those who grabbed him as Eaton insurance may well have a nice trade chip or depth player...

Parra is a good ball player but I think Eaton is better. I hate Eaton got hurt. No hating on Parra. If it were me, I would find a place for Eaton and Parra. That's if Eaton comes back without any problems. Eaton can rake when 100%. Make no mistake about it.
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." - Jimi Hendrix

"A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them. " - Leonard Louis Levinson

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” - John Lennon

#12 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostZ06vette, on 03 April 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

View PostJFS171, on 03 April 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

Parra is a good ball player but I think Eaton is better. I hate Eaton got hurt. No hating on Parra. If it were me, I would find a place for Eaton and Parra. That's if Eaton comes back without any problems. Eaton can rake when 100%. Make no mistake about it.

This year year injury or not I say Parra>Eaton, longterm Eaton for sure. Wouldn't every team love to have a player like Parra, nothing that he really doesn't do well.

#13 papasmurf

papasmurf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

Pretty impressive HR the other way.

#14 King Felix

King Felix

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:17 AM

Good defensive player, solid contact skills and speed, and respectable pop - while I think you have to make room for Eaton (star potential for AZ), I'd rather keep Parra as an everyday guy and use Ross as a 4th OF. Just think there's a bit more upside going that route, and you can still use ROss situationally.

#15 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostKing Felix, on 04 April 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

Good defensive player, solid contact skills and speed, and respectable pop - while I think you have to make room for Eaton (star potential for AZ), I'd rather keep Parra as an everyday guy and use Ross as a 4th OF. Just think there's a bit more upside going that route, and you can still use ROss situationally.

I don't see "star potential" in Eaton.  He looks to have potential for .300 with 10 HR and 30 bags.  This would put him in the same group as Aoki, DeAza, Pagan and I don't think anyone would consider any of them stars.

#16 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Glad he's on my teams this week at least. He always had game IMO, just never got enough at-bats.

#17 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

View Postsupac720, on 04 April 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Glad he's on my teams this week at least. He always had game IMO, just never got enough at-bats.

I agree. I had him last year when he was playing for when Chris Young got injured and he did wonders.

#18 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

It would be nice for them to just leave team Venezuela alone at the top of the lineup. When Ross is healthy he needs to be used as the 4th OF/Pinch HItter and platoon partner with Kubel. My fear is they force feed Eaton at the top of the lineup when he gets back. Parra has shown to be a much better hitter batting leadoff then at the bottom of the lineup which makes sense for most ball players.

1. RF Gerrado Parra 2. 3B Martin Prado 3. 2B Aaron Hill 4. C Miguel Montero 5. Paul Goldschmidt 6. LF Jason Kubel/Cody Ross 7.CF Adam Eaton  8. SS Cliff Pennington

This would  be the ideal longterm scenario for Parra owners but it is more likely Parra if he were to struggle any would move down to 7th in the order but still a chance for him to be an everyday player moving forward.

#19 kidtwentytwo

kidtwentytwo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Quietly having a pretty good season

http://www.fangraphs...ng-good-things/
Everybody panic

#20 King Felix

King Felix

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Another solid day, 2-4 with 2 runs scored. I keep hoping this pushes Ross/Kubel into a platoon when Eaton gets back - love having this guy in my UTIL spots in deep leagues

Edited by King Felix, 28 April 2013 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users