381 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Everyone knows the fantasy tease that is Everth Cabrera. A few years back, he stole 25 bags in limited PA's before disappearing for 2 years. Last year, he finally got another shot to show what he can do and ended up with 44 steals in under 400 AB's. Will it be a repeat where he disappears for a few years or can he back it up with another solid year? I know the lineup and park are bad, but he still should be able to find his way on base. If he hits leadoff, he can be a real sleeper. If he ends up getting knocked down to the 8 spot for part of the year again, then he is useless. If he starts all year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him lead the league in steals.
Bring back Ray!

#2 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 16 February 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Everyone knows the fantasy tease that is Everth Cabrera. A few years back, he stole 25 bags in limited PA's before disappearing for 2 years. Last year, he finally got another shot to show what he can do and ended up with 44 steals in under 400 AB's. Will it be a repeat where he disappears for a few years or can he back it up with another solid year? I know the lineup and park are bad, but he still should be able to find his way on base. If he hits leadoff, he can be a real sleeper. If he ends up getting knocked down to the 8 spot for part of the year again, then he is useless. If he starts all year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him lead the league in steals.
  I think he could have value, he isn't getting any hype compared to someone like Dee Gordon who got a decent amount of hype last year. If Cabrera can stay in the starting lineup. he will be a great asset to any team in the steals department.

Edited by klove42, 16 February 2013 - 09:39 PM.

No Days Off

#3 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I think this will be a big year for Everth.  Blazing fast and the fences are moving in.  Could play some 2B as well.  50 SBs minimum given a full season and could be pushing 70 if everything goes right.
www. drafttracker.net

#4 Stanford410

Stanford410

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Probably a late sleeper or sneaky ww pickup for MI with another sb title?
SF Giants-UGA Dawgs-Pittsburgh Steelers

#5 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts
  • Interests:Still waiting for my man.

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I don't think I would take him as more than an end-game pick, or $1 or $2 pick to stash on my bench and use here or there when I'm lacking in speed. I think he will be decent for 30+ SB.... but I don't know if he's ever going to hit enough to really, truly be a fantasy stud thanks to his speed.

Reminds me of Willy Taveras a little bit (or his fantasy outlook/prospects for a second or two) a few years back... in 2008, when he nearly stole 70 bases with the Rockies, he was only 28 or 29 and had been coming off of 3 or 4 straight years of 30+ SB where the "what if?" was always pondered.

I didn't play FBB the year after he stole 68, or don't remember if I did anyway... but I often wonder what his draft value was like after a year like that.

I liken Everth Cabrera- not in the sense that he's similar to Taveras or is going to flame-out right away like Willy did once he lost the ability to even get on base (not that E.C. has shown he can even get on base yet... but I digress), and they are years apart in age to boot. That said, I think Cabrera may be hyped up a bit heading into drafts simply because of the potential he holds if he can get on base enough to find himself batting lead-off and getting a chance to run a lot. There are a lot of guys I'd prefer to take a chance on for speed who may come a little pricier, but I think will be worth it.... Desmond Jennings, Peter Bourjous (if he is in fact starting), Ben Revere.... I know they're all in the OF, but similar players, and Jennings obviously is going to cost the most, but he may be worth it (great SB% if he runs enough).

I'm going to hope I can nab a guy like Everth very late, or off of waivers/from FA if he starts out hot and I can pounce... but in a mixed 14-team, where people love them some speed, I think he'll go for at least 7-15$... seriously.
Team #1: currently winning $250 if the season ended today.
Team #2: currently winning $1.250 if the season ended today.
This site: as bad as Yahoo's new updates when it comes to news blurbs and typos. I'll donate my earnings if you'll fix your news?

#6 ipstaff

ipstaff

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

The only thing that makes me nervous about him is that Gyorko and Forsythe (and I guess even Darnell and Amarista) are all in the mix for MI playing time in SD.  Cabrera goes into a slump or suffers an injury and he may not get an opportunity to jump back into a slot.

#7 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,314 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

View Postipstaff, on 17 February 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

The only thing that makes me nervous about him is that Gyorko and Forsythe (and I guess even Darnell and Amarista) are all in the mix for MI playing time in SD.  Cabrera goes into a slump or suffers an injury and he may not get an opportunity to jump back into a slot.

this ^

I've been sucked in by everth before. he's just not good enough a hitter for even SD to tolerate.
12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Plouffe
CI/ Craig
2B/ Lowrie
SS/ Simmons
MI/ Wong
4 OF/ Rios, Bautista, Cespedes, Leonys
Utl/ Heyward
SP/ Felix, Teheran, Sale,
Archer, Latos
RP/ Ross, Richards
, Martinez, Stroman
BN/ Cron
DL/ Everth, Encarnacion

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#8 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostNick Mitchell, on 17 February 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

I don't think I would take him as more than an end-game pick, or $1 or $2 pick to stash on my bench and use here or there when I'm lacking in speed. I think he will be decent for 30+ SB.... but I don't know if he's ever going to hit enough to really, truly be a fantasy stud thanks to his speed.

Reminds me of Willy Taveras a little bit (or his fantasy outlook/prospects for a second or two) a few years back... in 2008, when he nearly stole 70 bases with the Rockies, he was only 28 or 29 and had been coming off of 3 or 4 straight years of 30+ SB where the "what if?" was always pondered.

I didn't play FBB the year after he stole 68, or don't remember if I did anyway... but I often wonder what his draft value was like after a year like that.

I liken Everth Cabrera- not in the sense that he's similar to Taveras or is going to flame-out right away like Willy did once he lost the ability to even get on base (not that E.C. has shown he can even get on base yet... but I digress), and they are years apart in age to boot. That said, I think Cabrera may be hyped up a bit heading into drafts simply because of the potential he holds if he can get on base enough to find himself batting lead-off and getting a chance to run a lot. There are a lot of guys I'd prefer to take a chance on for speed who may come a little pricier, but I think will be worth it.... Desmond Jennings, Peter Bourjous (if he is in fact starting), Ben Revere.... I know they're all in the OF, but similar players, and Jennings obviously is going to cost the most, but he may be worth it (great SB% if he runs enough).

I'm going to hope I can nab a guy like Everth very late, or off of waivers/from FA if he starts out hot and I can pounce... but in a mixed 14-team, where people love them some speed, I think he'll go for at least 7-15$... seriously.

Everth is definitely a great late grab.  The difference between Everth and the other speedsters is that he will draw walks at a decent clip.  Plus I like getting speed from my MIs over OFs.

Edited by yoda, 17 February 2013 - 10:03 AM.

www. drafttracker.net

#9 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Depending on your league's rules, he could have 2B, SS, 3B, and OF eligibility.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#10 Matthew

Matthew

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

He's hitting well in ST and drawing walks. It's only spring, but he hasn't performed like this in any of his preseasons. Can he improve this year?

Any Padres fan with insight? Will he even be a starter?

#11 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostMatthew, on 22 March 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

He's hitting well in ST and drawing walks. It's only spring, but he hasn't performed like this in any of his preseasons. Can he improve this year?

He'll start. It was in question as Forsythe was there right behind him, but now that Headley went down, Forsythe is sliding over to 2B/3B, so there isn't much concern. He just has to hit while Headley is out or else he'll lose it when he comes back.
Bring back Ray!

#12 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 22 March 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

View PostMatthew, on 22 March 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

He'll start. It was in question as Forsythe was there right behind him, but now that Headley went down, Forsythe is sliding over to 2B/3B, so there isn't much concern. He just has to hit while Headley is out or else he'll lose it when he comes back.

Forsythe likely to start season on DL, as well.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#13 CanadianSportsJunkie

CanadianSportsJunkie

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Cabera doesn't get out base enough. Steals is only one stat! I didn't draft him but I have been offered him for guys like Maholm, Kubel, and Parra....not horrible offers but still not worth it IMO
16Team Keeper League. Keep 10 no cost. Current 12 out of 16
R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB , AVG, OPS
W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, QS, HLD

C- Jason Castro
1st- Brandon Belt
2nd- Josh Harrison
3rd- Lonnie Chisenhall
SS- Erick Aybar
LF- Melky Cabrera
CF- Bryce Harper
RF- Oscar Taveras
UTIL- Kevin Kiermaier
Bench- Mookie Betts, James Jones

SP-  Drew Hutchinson, Jimmy Nelson, Trevor Bauer, Jeremy Hellickson, Carlos Carrasco, Roenis Elias, Jeremy Guthrie, Scott Feldman
RP- Danny Farquhar, Ken Giles, Eric O'Flaherty

NA - Matt Davidson
DL-  Masahiro Tanaka, Jurickson Profar, Jedd Gyorko, Matt Moore, Prince Fielder

#14 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

i know Cabrera provides only one category, but if your team can provide the stats in the other 4 he is great to own..That is if he EVER GETS ON BASE!!
C- Mesoraco
1b - Freeman
2b - Altuve
3b - Miggy
SS - A. Escobar
OF - Trout
OF - Revere
OF - Cespedes
OF - Byrd
Util - Suarez
Util - Bautista
Bench - Reimold
Bench - Ramos

SP - Wainwright, Bumgarner, Grienke, Zimmerman, Garrett Richards, Arrieta
RP - Cishek, Papelbon, Mejia, Nathan, Joe Smith

#15 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hasnt been doing enough to really warrant playing time when Headley returns. He's getting dropped soon.
http://diamondhoggers.com - A baseball blog about everything baseball

#16 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

Glad I didn't give up on him yet.

#17 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

I'm seeing too many CS's when I check his stat lines.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#18 mevins31

mevins31

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

View Post2ndCitySox, on 13 April 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

I'm seeing too many CS's when I check his stat lines.

as long as he keeps running!

#19 FUM

FUM

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

Wow this guy forget how to steal or what?
Rotoworld Forums' Official Badass with 6 warning points.

Most of what I post is for giggles.  Please do not take me seriously when I'm venting about a pitcher that just got bombed or a hitter in a 2 for 20 slump.  It's all for effect and trying to make all my fellow rotoheads chuckle, so don't be "that guy", yeah you know what I'm talking about.

#20 compsella

compsella

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Frustrating.  Especially when youre in a league that penalizes for CS's.
14-team, H2H, Total Points, 7 Keepers (3-year contracts)

C  Doug Gwosdz, Mackey Sasser
1B  Razor Shines
2B  Arquimedez Pozo
3B  Scat Metha, Jim Walewander
SS  Steve Jeltz
OF  Johnny Dickshot, Rusty Kuntz, Bristol Robotham Lord, Johnny Wockenfuss, Hiram Bocachica
UT  Drungo Hazewood, Coot Veal

SP  Kevin Mmahat, Steve Fireovid, Cannonball Titcomb, Lil Stoner, Roy Face, Juan Eichelberger
RP  Ed Head, Boots Poffenberger, Firpo Marberry, Yorman Bazardo, Fu-Te Ni

MNR Joey Terdoslavich, Rougned Odor, Kevin Quackenbush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users