Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Vance Worley 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

finished good a few years ago. had some good games last year but pitched through injuries and didnt have good stats. can he have >3.50 era this.

#2 CM52

CM52

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

finished good a few years ago. had some good games last year but pitched through injuries and didnt have good stats. can he have >3.50 era this.

Yes, he could definitely have an ERA greater than 3.50.

#3 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

I meant less than 3.50

#4 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

I meant less than 3.50

Less than 3.50? Probably not. But he could have some good value pitching in Target Field behind a defense that could improve. I read in the paper they are looking at Florimon at SS for his defense. Jamey Carroll has a solid glove at 2nd. Morneau's always been solid at 1st. In the outfield they Parmelee and Willingham are liabilities, but Mastrionni in center is as fast as they get.

#5 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,970 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

I'm not to sure I would draft him in a standard mixed league but he will be a good streaming option when he pitches at home
No Days Off

#6 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

I'm not to sure I would draft him in a standard mixed league but he will be a good streaming option when he pitches at home

All depending on his spring but he has crazy upside.

Sure traded to The AL, but in a better pitcher's park.

#7 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,970 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Yeah I don't really think moving to the AL will hurt him that much just cause Philly is a hitters ball park and now he is in Target field.
No Days Off

#8 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Yeah I don't really think moving to the AL will hurt him that much just cause Philly is a hitters ball park and now he is in Target field.

Yeah I'd rather take the hit in K's to have better ratios.

Plus The Twins organization have been so damn good at developing pitchers. Their staff this year looks very unproven and shaky though. So he's a for sure spot in the rotation so long as he is ready to roll come spring training.

I remember he had elbow troubles at the end of last year, anyone have some details on it?

#9 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Here is actually a very ironic article about him.

http://www.startribu...71.html?refer=y

#10 Stanford410

Stanford410

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Actually Target Field was a better hitters park than Citizens Bank last season...
http://espn.go.com/m...tats/parkfactor
you can sort through the tabs.

Edited by Stanford410, 17 February 2013 - 09:59 PM.

SF Giants-UGA Dawgs-Pittsburgh Steelers

#11 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

could his marriage thing hurt his value? lol. things like that can.

#12 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Actually Target Field was a better hitters park than Citizens Bank last season...
http://espn.go.com/m...tats/parkfactor
you can sort through the tabs.

Yeah for runs Target was a little higher. But I tend to use HRs more as a guide which that was even surprisingly close. But honestly the only reason it was even close was because of how bad Minnesota's pitching was last year and Philly had an above average staff.

#13 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

could his marriage thing hurt his value? lol. things like that can.

But at the same time finding the right woman can also put a guy over the top in the confidence/motivation department.

#14 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Citizen's Bank is definitely a better hitter's park than Target Field.

Here's the article that Rotoworld posted a few weeks ago using Park Factors

http://www.rotoworld...rk-factors?pg=2
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#15 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Plus The Twins organization have been so damn good at developing pitchers. Their staff this year looks very unproven and shaky though. So he's a for sure spot in the rotation so long as he is ready to roll come spring training.

Are we talking about the Minnesota Twins? The ones that insist on all their pitchers pitching to contact and the best pro they've turned out in about a decade has been Francisco Liriano(you could argue Scott Diamond but that was less than a full season and he didn't even get to come up until there were several injuries)? Am I forgetting someone significant? :huh: Or are you talking about all the bullpen arms that moved on to different teams after the Twins refused to pay them?

Part of why the numbers look so bad at Target Field was the players that were playing on the Twins. If no one on your team can hit any home runs and you play half your games at the park, obviously that'll deflate the numbers. It was always obvious that was the problem because opposing teams had zero trouble hitting home runs at Target Field(part of this was also due to the Twins' putrid pitching staff I will admit).

Back to Worley, he's probably just a home streaming option at best.

#16 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Are we talking about the Minnesota Twins? The ones that insist on all their pitchers pitching to contact and the best pro they've turned out in about a decade has been Francisco Liriano(you could argue Scott Diamond but that was less than a full season and he didn't even get to come up until there were several injuries)? Am I forgetting someone significant? :huh: Or are you talking about all the bullpen arms that moved on to different teams after the Twins refused to pay them?

Part of why the numbers look so bad at Target Field was the players that were playing on the Twins. If no one on your team can hit any home runs and you play half your games at the park, obviously that'll deflate the numbers. It was always obvious that was the problem because opposing teams had zero trouble hitting home runs at Target Field(part of this was also due to the Twins' putrid pitching staff I will admit).

Johan Santana

Starters

Bench

RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller

#17 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,572 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Johan Santana

That was a while ago....
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#18 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Johan Santana

That was a while ago....

Well he said in the last decade, Johan falls within that time frame.

Starters

Bench

#19 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I understand his point that the Twins' track record of development in regards to recent pitching prospects has been poor. But I doubt they are really going to change Worley as a whole.

The main thing for Worley is his elbow. While it's encouraging that all they had to do was remove bone chips, but as we have seen with other pitchers recently...that doesn't make you return to form. If his elbow holds up, he should be fine.

I don't like him, because his k rate is at risk of regressing more considering his swinging strike rate has been 5.5% the past two seasons. When you couple that with the move to the AL and the injury risk...I don't see him being anything more than a streaming option at home (like a previous poster said).

Starters

Bench

#20 Ned Ryerson

Ned Ryerson

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I think he'll be alright if he stays healthy. I like him in that division.