Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Strange Contracts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 An Old Hippie

An Old Hippie

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

This probably doesn't belong anywhere but I am watching Hot Stove on the MLB network. They are talking about Soriano maybe going to the Mets. If he does Soriano becomes the highest paid Mets OF.

Now the twist. Care to name the 2 highest Met OF going into this season.

Jason Bay was the easy one.

Bobby Bonilla is the second one. He last played for the Mets in 1999. The contract was signed for the 1995 season.

#2 Ben Edelman

Ben Edelman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Ouch.  That "deferred compensation" at an 8% interest rate doesn't look so smart now, does it?

The Mets should just bite the bullet and pay Bonilla $20 MM (or whatever it takes) to go away.  Then trade Santana in late May before his arm falls off.  They need a clean slate to start from.  Well, Ike Davis, Travis D'Arnaud, Matt Harvey, David Wright, and 21 clean slates.
FRBRL 1995-present.  12-team 4x4 Roto auction keeper, NL-only.
C: Mesoraco, Bethancourt
1/3: Rojas, Frandsen, Rendon
2/S: Wong, Scutaro, Tejada
O/U: Yelich, Maybin, Quentin, Alcantara, C. Ross, Boujos
SP: Strasburg, Morton, Nelson
RP: Clippard, N. Ramirez, Mejia, Storen, Rondon, Avilan, Dice-K
Min: Bryant, Crawford, Piscotty, K. Parker, T. Jordan, R. Montero, Tabata, M. Gonzales, Ruf
DL: Fujikawa, Kelly, Erlin
Yeah, I'm dumping this year.

#3 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Nevertheless, starting on July 1, 2011, Bobby Bonilla will remain on the franchise's payroll for 25 years, collecting an annual salary of $1,193,248.20.

That must be so awesome
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Joe Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System:  Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#4 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

There's also Manny Ramirez

Red Sox are going to be paying him $1.94 million a year from now until 2027. Oh, and the Dodgers are paying him $8.3 million....this season
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Farm System:  Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#5 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

I do believe that Bernard Gilkey is still being paid by the Mets... no? Or are the D'Backs paying him? Someone still is!
Team #1: currently winning $250 if the season ended today.
Team #2: currently winning $1.250 if the season ended today.
This site: as bad as Yahoo's new updates when it comes to news blurbs and typos. I'll donate my earnings if you'll fix your news?

#6 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

From 2009.. so I dunno what has or hasn't been resolved. From an old article, just a snippet:

Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall said that the team paid off $16 million this year and will pay off $15 million in 2010, $14 million in 2011 and $13 million in 2012. By 2013, the Diamondbacks will have less than $1.5 million to pay off. Matt Williams’ payments come off in 2014 and Gilkey, whose annual checks go up to as much as $1 million, will be the last one to come off the books in 2017.

Matt Williams is still collecting too I guess.... :lol:
This site: as bad as Yahoo's new updates when it comes to news blurbs and typos. I'll donate my earnings if you'll fix your news?

#7 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

A bigger bit of the article, including Bobby B...

The Arizona Diamondbacks payroll shows up at around $73 million this season, but in reality, the team that has likely deferred more money than any other in the history of sports, will cut checks totaling $90 million.
Those payments not only go to active players like Dan Haren and Mark Reynolds, but the team will also be paying off past players like Gilkey, Randy Johnson, Luis Gonzalez, Armando Reynoso, Curt Schilling, Matt Williams and Roberto Alomar.
The Diamondbacks past ownership was all about doing what they had to to win. It worked. In 2001, they agreed to pay its roster of players $85 million and beat the Yankees in the World Series that year. But doing what they had to do to win also meant deferring $244 million that they owed to players.
When Ken Kendrick took over the team in 2004, the Diamondbacks started paying back. The payment schedule was sped up when baseball changed the debt rules a couple years ago.
Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall said that the team paid off $16 million this year and will pay off $15 million in 2010, $14 million in 2011 and $13 million in 2012. By 2013, the Diamondbacks will have less than $1.5 million to pay off. Matt Williams’ payments come off in 2014 and Gilkey, whose annual checks go up to as much as $1 million, will be the last one to come off the books in 2017.
When fans look at our payroll, they don’t realize that we’re also paying former players,” Hall said.
Gilkey, who played 12 seasons in the league, played 161 games with the Diamondbacks from 1998-2000, earned about $12 million for his work. By deferring it, he obviously gets paid in installments and gets a bit more since the team pays between 2 and 7 percent interest on the owed money.
The most interesting salary deferral story could be the one of Bobby Bonilla. The Mets will reportedly pay from 2011 to 2035 for the $5.9 million salary they owe him from 2000, a season in which he didn’t even play for the team.

#8 Point Shaver

Point Shaver

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

I keep telling friends that their kids should play baseball.

#9 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostPoint Shaver, on 20 February 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

Even better is if they are a lefty pitcher.  If they are a lefty and don't pitch ... TEACH THEM!

#10 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

Maybe Schilling can invest in another video game company...SBOX? CStation? The Cii? He'll make it to that "Bill Gates rich" yet :lol:

I love hearing the Bonilla story, seems to pop up this time every year.
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#11 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostPoint Shaver, on 20 February 2013 - 10:31 AM, said:

League minimum is $400K.  I train a lot of kids for sports (mainly baseball) and make sure they all know that.  

But in all honesty if you want to be a professional baseball player outside of winning the genetic lottery you have to work super hard and need to be self motivated well beyond money to get it.

#12 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

seems like a good idea to defer compensation at 8% annually when you've got Madoff making 20 or 30% on those dollars. they essentially just leveraged Bonilla and his contract.

Edited by jsp2014, 20 February 2013 - 09:40 PM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#13 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

View PostBlood Brother, on 19 February 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

Nevertheless, starting on July 1, 2011, Bobby Bonilla will remain on the franchise's payroll for 25 years, collecting an annual salary of $1,193,248.20.

That must be so awesome

your avatar is incredible. I'm now going to like every one of your posts I see as long as Heath is still smiling at me.

Edited by jsp2014, 20 February 2013 - 09:39 PM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#14 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

Lol. I remember seeing this as his profile pic for his yahoo player page last year. It was also his official pic on mlb.com whenever you used mlb gameday, which made his blown saves more incredible. Always seemed like he was trolling the fans by blowing the game and you are just following along on mlb gameday having to see that goofy smile of his....as the game is in progress of being blown/lost. I couldn't imagine being a Marlins fan who didn't get the games on TV and didn't order mlb.tv, being forced to follow along on mlb gameday and having to see that face. So cruel

Hitters: