#1 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostFISH ON, on 26 December 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

As a side note, Michael Choice might be one of the reasons the A's decided to keep Anderson rather than trade him for Myers, he's a promising prospect. As is the recently drafted Russell, he's also projected to play an OF spot rather than stick at ss/3b.

Not sure where this came from?  

One of the big reasons Russell has shot up the prospect ranks is for the simple fact that he worked so hard to maintain his agility and build after reports surfaced that he was going to outgrow SS.

He's quick and fluid in the field, and few are questioning at this point if he'll be able to stay at the position, much less whether or not he could handle 3B.  The only reason they'd need to move him to OF is if he was completely blocked on the left side of the IF, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

#2 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:most importantly, enjoying my 14 grandkids.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

View PostJFS171, on 18 February 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

View PostFISH ON, on 26 December 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

As a side note, Michael Choice might be one of the reasons the A's decided to keep Anderson rather than trade him for Myers, he's a promising prospect. As is the recently drafted Russell, he's also projected to play an OF spot rather than stick at ss/3b.

Not sure where this came from?  

One of the big reasons Russell has shot up the prospect ranks is for the simple fact that he worked so hard to maintain his agility and build after reports surfaced that he was going to outgrow SS.

He's quick and fluid in the field, and few are questioning at this point if he'll be able to stay at the position, much less whether or not he could handle 3B.  The only reason they'd need to move him to OF is if he was completely blocked on the left side of the IF, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

This came from the coaches of the Stockton Ports on Aug 5th last year in anticipation of his arrival in Stockton. Prior to the game that Anderson was slated to start as part of his rehab here, they were discussing many things, and one topic I overheard was Russell. Miles Head is considered the 3b of the future in Oakland and Russell, after filling out his frame is seen as a 3b/ corner OF type body and bat being too big to cover SS. That's where my post came from.
“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”   Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it".   author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#3 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostFISH ON, on 18 February 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

This came from the coaches of the Stockton Ports on Aug 5th last year in anticipation of his arrival in Stockton. Prior to the game that Anderson was slated to start as part of his rehab here, they were discussing many things, and one topic I overheard was Russell. Miles Head is considered the 3b of the future in Oakland and Russell, after filling out his frame is seen as a 3b/ corner OF type body and bat being too big to cover SS. That's where my post came from.

Fair enough - I just haven't seen that elsewhere.  There were certainly concerns about his ability to stick at SS when he was drafted, but he's pretty much answered all of those, and passed every test with flying colors.

Sickels had the following to say: "My read is that he can stick at shortstop, although I wouldn't expect him to be Gold Glover. That's just based on two games... Average range is just fine if you hit, and Russell looks like he can hit."
http://www.minorleag...kland-athletics

Keith Law added this: "Russell entered his senior year at Pace (Fla.) HS hearing grave doubts about his ability to remain at shortstop, but chose to drop some of his upper-body muscle and restore his athleticism so scouts would view him as a middle-of-the-diamond player -- which he is, clearly, given how well he played there all spring and summer last year."
http://insider.espn....os-1-25#Russell

And Jonathan Mayo stated this: "It was initially assumed that Russell would have to move to third as a pro, and his bat would profile just fine there, but he's convinced many he can stay at shortstop with good hands, a well above-average arm and solid range."
http://mlb.mlb.com/m...ts/watch/y2013/

Miles Head may very well be the future at 3B, but it would be beside Russell, not ahead of him (in my opinion).  Baseball America even dubbed Russell the Best Defensive Infielder in the entire A's system. http://www.baseballa...13/2614395.html

Nothing personal intended here - I'm just a huge fan of Addison Russell, and I don't see anything to suggest he's ticketed for the OF.  Perhaps the coaches were repeating hearsay from Russell's pre-draft perception around the league.  But I've read in multiple places that Oakland was one of the few teams that felt he could play SS in the long run, and that's why they pounced on the opportunity to take him at #11.

#4 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Highly touted prospect out of Florida drafted last year by the A's.
Played in only 55 games but his bat seems to be very advanced for a then 18yr old. Should start this season in low A ball with a promotion to Stockton, A's A club shortly thereafter, depending on results.
Question is: Where does he profile? SS,3B or a corner OF slot.
Scouts reported on him that he "should" stay at SS, team seems to think the same as of yesterday. However, this kid has a big frame and when he's done filling out, might take a step or 2 away from his mobility to cover SS. 3b might be a better fit for him, but Miles Head was acquired to fill that spot, Head has spent time at 1b as well as 3b, so the future is cloudy at best.
I've read all the scouting reports on Russell, and they all seem to think he can stick at SS, but what we need to keep in mind is, the scouts have no say as to where any prospect ends up, it's the teams needs that ultimately determine where they  end up.  
I over heard a conversation amoungst coaches on Aug, 5th, in Stockton while awaiting a rehab start by Brett Anderson, coaches were discussing where they were going to play Russell when he finally arrives in Stockton. Talk was either 3b or a corner OF. You won't find this conversation anywhere as it was not a media intended conversation. I don't think they knew a few of us fans were close enough to hear them.
I'm excited to watch this kid mature when he does finally arrive here in Stockton, his potential is massive, lets hope he can tap into all talent he possesses and transition them to success.
I'll keep you posted after he does arrive, as I'll be attending as many games as I can.
As a footnote, Scouting Book already has him listed as a 3b in their prospect report.
“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”   Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it".   author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#5 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

The thing with scouting reports, is they're merely scouts opinions, body's change, team needs change. Where he ultimately ends up playing is a mystery as of today.
What I overheard will not be found in print as I do not believe the coaches realized that a few fans were in ear shot of their conversation.
I am a fan of the A's, have been since they started play in Oakland, am retired and attend as many River Cat and Port games as possible, with the occasional trip to Oakland. I sometimes find myself in the right place at the right time to hear things, I merely share a few useful tid bits that can be useful.

Russell is going to be special if the stars align.

#6 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,798 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Russell is really starting to rise up the scouting ranks. I have heard only good things about him, and I want to actually be able to watch him play this year.
No Days Off

#7 whiskeyriver

whiskeyriver

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,242 posts
  • Interests:Having been born in the bay area, and coming from a huge North Cali family, I am a lifetime Giants and 49ers fan.

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostFISH ON, on 19 February 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

As a footnote, Scouting Book already has him listed as a 3b in their prospect report.

Scouting Book is notoriously bogus...
Little green ghouls, buddy!

#8 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

The debate here was what position he'll ultimately end up playing. My point was that agencies and scouts outside the organisation have zero influence on the decision. Team needs and skill set will determine the outcome, not some scouts opinion.

#9 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostJFS171, on 19 February 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

View PostFISH ON, on 18 February 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

Fair enough - I just haven't seen that elsewhere.  There were certainly concerns about his ability to stick at SS when he was drafted, but he's pretty much answered all of those, and passed every test with flying colors.

Sickels had the following to say: "My read is that he can stick at shortstop, although I wouldn't expect him to be Gold Glover. That's just based on two games... Average range is just fine if you hit, and Russell looks like he can hit."
http://www.minorleag...kland-athletics

Keith Law added this: "Russell entered his senior year at Pace (Fla.) HS hearing grave doubts about his ability to remain at shortstop, but chose to drop some of his upper-body muscle and restore his athleticism so scouts would view him as a middle-of-the-diamond player -- which he is, clearly, given how well he played there all spring and summer last year."
http://insider.espn....os-1-25#Russell

And Jonathan Mayo stated this: "It was initially assumed that Russell would have to move to third as a pro, and his bat would profile just fine there, but he's convinced many he can stay at shortstop with good hands, a well above-average arm and solid range."
http://mlb.mlb.com/m...ts/watch/y2013/

Miles Head may very well be the future at 3B, but it would be beside Russell, not ahead of him (in my opinion).  Baseball America even dubbed Russell the Best Defensive Infielder in the entire A's system. http://www.baseballa...13/2614395.html

Nothing personal intended here - I'm just a huge fan of Addison Russell, and I don't see anything to suggest he's ticketed for the OF.  Perhaps the coaches were repeating hearsay from Russell's pre-draft perception around the league.  But I've read in multiple places that Oakland was one of the few teams that felt he could play SS in the long run, and that's why they pounced on the opportunity to take him at #11.

Jason Parks loves him as well and sees him sticking at SS for right now.  He mentioned that he believes he can be a top 5 prospect as soon as next year.

#10 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Everything I've seen on this kid leads me to believe he's going to stick at SS, and will be an absolutely electric player.  I'm buying him every chance I get.

#11 96mnc

96mnc

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

View PostMrMartyBarrett, on 25 February 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Everything I've seen on this kid leads me to believe he's going to stick at SS, and will be an absolutely electric player.  I'm buying him every chance I get.

Found the Parks quote:

Addison Russell (the shortstop) is a top-20 prospect. He should probably be higher. If the body is shortstop legit and the bat continues to progress, he could be no. 1 on the list next year. He’s that guy. Several scouts weren’t ready to go all-in yet because of the physical profile; mostly scouts who had eyes on Russell as an amateur and saw a thick upper body and lateral range that looked destined to leave the middle for the hot corner down the line.

#12 yort1919

yort1919

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Who is the better guy to choose longterm....Addison Russell or Carlos Correa? Same age, same position.
“Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.”- Babe Ruth

#13 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

You're going to find a lot more publications that have been in print that are choosing Correa.  My gut tells me that by this time next year, we're all going to want Russell on our rosters.

#14 yort1919

yort1919

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Edited by The Harsh, 27 February 2013 - 08:48 PM.
Please keep BC content contained to the BC subforum. Thanks.

“Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.”- Babe Ruth

#15 JFS171

JFS171

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostMrMartyBarrett, on 27 February 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

You're going to find a lot more publications that have been in print that are choosing Correa.  My gut tells me that by this time next year, we're all going to want Russell on our rosters.

At this point it's all projection based.  Honestly, either guy could end up at 3B or 2B or OF, but for now they both seem to have non-zero chances to stick at SS.  Correa may develop more power down the line, with Russell having a slightly better bat for AVG, and more speed.

Baseball America put future grades of 55 Bat, 65 Power, 55 Speed on Correa with a 60 defense and 70 arm.

Russell was rated with 60 tools at Bat, Power, and Speed, but only a 55 defense and a 55 arm.

#16 Homerj24

Homerj24

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postyort1919, on 27 February 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

Who is the better guy to choose longterm....Addison Russell or Carlos Correa? Same age, same position.

I had to choose between the two players in my rookie draft two weeks ago. Based on all of the reports that I read, my gut told me Russell. Since then, I have heard many people echo the same. I feel confident that I made the right choice.

#17 phatrat

phatrat

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Are we looking at 2 years or longer away from MLB or does he come up next year ?

#18 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

I would say 2 years or longer.
You're television incarnate, Diana: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. You're madness, Diana. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you. But not me. Not as long as I can feel pleasure, and pain... and love.

#19 whiskeyriver

whiskeyriver

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,242 posts
  • Interests:Having been born in the bay area, and coming from a huge North Cali family, I am a lifetime Giants and 49ers fan.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Unfortunately off to a terrible start so far.  The Ks are pretty concerning.
Little green ghouls, buddy!

#20 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

Got off to a rough start in April and May, but he's been great ever since.

Since June in 51 games he's posted a line of .325/.410/.602, 9 HRs, 10 SBs, 25 BBs

Only 19 years old.

Russell >>> Lindor (for Fantasy purposes)

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 17 August 2013 - 01:29 PM.

You're television incarnate, Diana: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. You're madness, Diana. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you. But not me. Not as long as I can feel pleasure, and pain... and love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users